HatesTimers
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

Tips and Tricks

[Post New]by HatesTimers on Feb 12, 13 3:19 PM
I finished all levels of both campaigns with 3 stars on hard mode Actually, hard isn't that different from easy, the enemies just have a few more hit points. A tower that took 33 shots to kill an Ice Troll on easy took 36 shots on normal, and 40 shots on hard, so there is about a 10% difference between modes.

Here are some bugs I noticed in the current version. You get a preview of a tower's range when you click on a space. Then, after you buy/upgrade the tower, you can click on it to see it's current range. These don't always match. The Ice and Stone Trolls are supposed to be immune to stun darts, but instead they're immune to slow darts. The upgrade in the shop for increasing the mine production rate doesn't seem to do anything. (The upgrade for increasing the amount from the mine does work.) Note, these bugs might be fixed in a future release.

I often replayed level 1-4 (level 4 of campaign 1) on easy mode, which seemed to give the most gems for the effort, and was very easy after I got the Artillery tower. I would then buy upgrades in the shop. Note that while you can pick gems up off the battlefield, you don't need to. They pick themselves up if you leave them.

The most important upgrade is more money from enemies, as most of the money from most levels comes from enemies. The upgrade for more starting money is a big help at the beginning of a level (if the level gives you money at the start, many don't). The next most important upgrades are getting the cost of towers down and the damage up. Extra range can be useful too. I didn't use the spells much, and almost never twice in the same level.

You can also buy special spaces on a level using gems. Once bought, the spaces will remain unlocked if you replay the level in any difficulty mode. These spaces boost the range and/or damage of a tower built there. The amount of the boost can vary. Buying spaces is only worth it on the very hardest levels.

HatesTimers
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

Re:Tips and Tricks

[Post New]by HatesTimers on Feb 12, 13 3:23 PM
Several enemy types have no special powers. They tend to go from fast and fragile, to slow and tough (Worg, Scout, Trooper, Chief).

The Healer can heal others. They are usually no problem, though.
Ice and Stone trolls are immune to teleport, slow darts, and the frost spell.
There's also an enemy that drops 3 little ones when it dies.

Shaman start appearing in level 1-8 and are a big problem. Nearby towers fall asleep when a shaman is near (but wake up when that's no longer the case). They also make portals that generate troopers, which move faster than the shaman and distract guns from taking out the shaman before the tower is put to sleep. It's safest to take out the shaman as soon as possible, (but you can get more money if you let them generate a bunch of troopers). Shaman can be killed with long range towers.

You can select an enemy to be a preferred target. Any tower within range will switch over to that enemy. That is very useful for taking out shaman before they get too close. Only one enemy can be selected at a time, though.

Flying enemies start in level 1-16 (Wyvern) and 1-20 (Dragon, slow and tough). They can't be targeted with Cannons. The Dart tower and all its upgrades will hit flyers, and so will the Machine Gun and Sniper Tower. However the Artillery tower and its upgrades won't target flyers.

All tower and enemy types are introduced in the first campaign. The second campaign only introduces slightly tougher versions of the same enemies (which have different colors). The second campaign didn't seem any harder to me, except the last level was a challenge.

Edited on 02/15/2013 at 6:44:16 PM PST

HatesTimers
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by HatesTimers on Feb 12, 13 3:26 PM
If you start a wave early you will get two gold for each second (usually around 30 gold for 15 seconds). Note that you can pause the game at any time and build towers, etc. It's almost always best to start every wave immediately. The exception is if you can get more money from mines by waiting (like with level 1-11).

You can usually do more damage for the money with many low-level towers rather than a few upgraded towers, assuming you have enough spaces for them. However, when dealing with shaman, the extra range from an upgrade may be crucial.

Tower placement is important. I tend to put artillery up front for crowd control, and have dart towers clean up what gets past the artillery. (On the last level, though, I had trouble with a swarm of shaman-generated troopers getting to the castle.) A space set back from the road can be good for taking out shaman, as the shaman can't get close enough to put it to sleep. A space is more valuable if it lets a tower cover more road (like the center space in a loop of road, or a space sandwiched between two roads). Some spaces get a range and/or strength boost.

There is a space on the castle to build a tower. This space gets a very good range boost.

Occasionally something like a tree can block a shot from a tower. Enemies passing under a bridge may also be protected.

Edited on 02/12/2013 at 3:40:41 PM PST

HatesTimers
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by HatesTimers on Feb 12, 13 3:28 PM
Spells:

The Meteor spell (introduced in lvl 3) affects an area for a short period of time. Any enemy in that area will periodically take damage.

The Deadly Swamp spell (lvl 6) affects an area for a short period of time. Enemies in that area are poisoned and take damage for a while afterwards.

The Earthquake spell (lvl 9) does immediate damage to enemies in an area.

The Frost spell (lvl 12) affects an area for a period of time. Enemies in the area, or which enter that area, are frozen while the spell lasts. Ice and Stone trolls are immune.

The Heroism spell (lvl 15) boosts all towers for a brief period of time.

Spells can be put on the same spot at the same time. And spells can work together. For example, a Frost spell can cause enemies to pile up, then a Meteor spell can cause repeated damage to the enemies while the Frost spell holds them in place. A spell placed on a bridge will affect enemies going over and under the bridge.

HatesTimers
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by HatesTimers on Feb 12, 13 3:30 PM
Towers:

There are four towers that can be built on an empty space. These Towers can be upgraded twice, increasing damage and range. Once unlocked, there is a third upgrade which is to a different type of tower. There are two choices of advanced tower types for each of the four initial types, for 12 total tower types.

Once a tower is unlocked, you can replay a prior level (in the same difficulty mode) and the new tower will be available.

The Dart Tower, (unlocked in lvl 1) is the cheapest tower. It hits all types of enemies. It's fast, but the damage is modest. The range is short, but increases rapidly when upgraded.

The Stun Dart Tower (lvl 7) is a third level upgrade. It has glowing green parts. It hits all types of enemies and briefly freezes them. It has excellent range and good damage. It's not quite as fast as a dart tower.

The Slow Dart Tower (lvl 13) is the same as the Stun Dart, except it has pink parts, it only slows enemies, and Ice/Stone trolls are immune (but are still targeted). I think it may be a bug that the Stun Dart hits those trolls but the slow dart doesn't. As it is, the Stun Dart is always a better tower than the Slow Dart.

The Cannon Tower (lvl 2) is slower but more damaging than the Dart Tower. It starts with a good range, which increases modestly with upgrades. It won't target flyers.

The Machine Gun Tower (lvl 8) is a third upgrade on the Cannon. It is very fast, but very low damage. It has a noticeable delay when switching to a new target. Its range is less than the Cannon. It will target flyers. I wasn't too impressed with this tower type.

The Sniper Tower (lvl 14) is slow, but very damaging, and it has excellent range. It will target flyers.

HatesTimers
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by HatesTimers on Feb 12, 13 3:32 PM
The Artillery Tower (lvl 5) hits an area. It is the best tower for crowd control and has very good range. The projectile is sluggish, and a fast enemy that's some distance from the tower could be outside the area of effect by the time the projectile hits. It won't target flyers, though, nor will either of its third upgrade towers.

The Rocket Tower (lvl 11) is fun to watch. The rocket arches over to where the enemy was when the rocket started, then it tracks down and hits the target for heavy damage. Unless, of course, the enemy was already killed by another tower while all this was going on, in which case the rocket is wasted. That seemed to happen a lot when I tried to use this tower. The range is very good, but not what I would have expected from a Rocket Tower. It won't target flyers.

The Fire Tower (lvl 17) has the highest raw damage output. It affects an area like the Artillery, although the area is smaller. It fires much faster and hits with much more damage than the Artillery. It also leaves the road burning, causing some damage to enemies moving over the spot. However, it won't target flyers, and it has a very short range, so it's no good for shaman.

HatesTimers
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by HatesTimers on Feb 12, 13 3:34 PM
The Mine (lvl 4) generates gold. If no shop upgrades have been purchased, then the mine produces $10 initially, $15 with one upgrade, and $20 with a second upgrade. The two third upgrades also produce $20. Buying shop upgrades can increase these numbers to $15/$22/$30. Production is every 10 seconds. The shop upgrade for increasing production rate doesn't seem to do anything in the current version.

The Support Tower (lvl 10) is a mine which also boosts nearby towers. For instance, the Dart tower, upgraded twice, had a range of 142 (arbitrary units), and killed an Ice Troll with 33 shots. When boosted with a Support Tower, it had a range of 198, and killed the troll with 24 shots. The range of a support tower is boosted when it is built in a space that boosts range. Support Towers don't seem to boost each other, though.

The Teleport Tower (lvl 16) is a mine which can teleport a nearby enemy back to the beginning. It has a very very slow fire rate, and does a very very tiny amount of damage. Ice and Stone trolls will be targeted, but are immune. This tower is mostly pretty useless. It's possible to pause at the end of an early wave with one enemy left, sell any towers that might hit it, and put a Teleport Tower where it can keep sending the enemy back. It can take a very large number of teleportations to whittle down the enemy, so all the spaces can be filled with mines, and a huge amount of gold can be collected while this is happening. I didn't need to do this for any level, but it is the only use I can think of for this tower.

HatesTimers
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by HatesTimers on Feb 12, 13 3:36 PM
Tower chart:

This chart gives the cost to build the tower starting with the previous upgrade, the total cost of building from an empty space, the selling price, the range shown (arbitrary units) when the tower is clicked on, how many shots it took to kill an Ice Troll (on easy) and how long it took. Note that I bought all shop upgrades for all towers before doing these tests. I was a little sloppy with the timing and such, but it should be close enough. Note that the sell price is based on the initial cost plus the cost of the last upgrade. So selling a tower that has been upgraded more than once gives nothing for the intermediate upgrades.

Upgraded towers in this chart are indicated with a following number, so an upgraded Dart Tower will be called Dart-1.

Dart cost=$37 sell=$25 range=105 , 57 shots in 38 sec
Dart-1 cost=$56/$93 sell=$62 range=123 , 41 shots in 27 sec
Dart-2 cost=$75/$168 sell=$75 range=142 , 33 shots in 19 sec
Stun Dart cost=$135/$303 sell=$115 range=184 , 14 shots in 16 sec
Slow Dart (same as Stun, but Ice/Stone trolls immune)

Cannon cost=$75 sell=$50 range=145 , 33 shots in 29 sec
Cannon-1 cost=$97/$172 sell=$115 range=150 , 23 shots in 20 sec
Cannon-2 cost=$127/$299 sell=$135 range=155 , 19 shots in 16 sec
Machine Gun cost=$187/$486 sell=$175 range=136 , 58 shots in 15 sec
Sniper cost=$187/$486 sell=$175 range=199 , 5 shots in 13 sec

Artillery cost=$112 sell=$75 range=177 , 23 shots in 46 sec
Artillery-1 cost=$131/$243 sell=$162 range=195 , 15 shots in 31 sec
Artillery-2 cost=$180/$423 sell=$195 range=204 , 12 shots in 25 sec
Rocket cost=$225/$648 sell=$225 range=195 , 4 shots in 10 sec
Fire cost=$225/$648 sell=$225 range=97 , 6 shots in 6 sec

Mine cost=$100 sell=$50
Mine-1 cost=$125/$225 sell=$112
Mine-2 cost=$150/$375 sell=$125
Support cost=$240/$615 sell=$170 range=242
Teleport cost=$240/$615 sell=$170

festclick
Minnow
Minnow
279 Posts

[Post New]by festclick on Feb 13, 13 2:47 AM
Agree with your detailed assessments of the weapons, thanks for posting. I tested the final Snowfall Mountain level 20 with snipers for all cannons instead of machine guns, but there seemed very little difference, except I got a bit less score, so maybe the snipers killed the shamen a bit faster and there was less spawning, but the difference was marginal. No upgrade differences in tests.

My best score for that level actually is using two mines in the castle, but selling them when I have all first upgrades of towers. But the mines are generally pretty rubbish and the extra score is probably spawning, so no mines is probably more efficient.

HatesTimers
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by HatesTimers on Feb 13, 13 9:49 PM
I usually use dart and stun dart towers, rather than cannons. (And artillery for the crowds.) That may not always be optimal, but it works for me. All levels of the game can be won on hard with just those three tower types.

My easiest replay of level 2-20 was when I used a support mine. I put it on that little hill just south of the castle. I used all spaces north of that hill for darts, and all southern spaces for artillery. Taking out the groups of shaman seemed easier with only the artillery able to target them. When the selected shaman died, usually the whole group went. Once the trolls had been thinned, I replaced the artillery with stun darts to get the dragons. No spells were needed. (I had purchased the extra spaces for this level, though.)

festclick
Minnow
Minnow
279 Posts

[Post New]by festclick on Feb 14, 13 4:32 AM
Good stuff. A nice clean use of the range and fire-rate differences. I just like cannon because they're cheaper. It's nice to have a range of different strategies but still a reasonably challenging game.

HatesTimers
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by HatesTimers on Feb 20, 13 9:31 AM
The fast, low damage Dart tower doesn't benefit smoothly when buying damage upgrades at the shop. Here is the actual hit point damage done with the six shop upgrade levels (0 to 5 upgrades):

Dart-0 - 6 . 7 . 7 . 7 . 7 . 8
Dart-1 - 9 .. 10 . 10 . 11 . 11 . 11
Dart-2 - 11 . 12 . 12 . 13 . 13 . 14

A worg in the first campaign has 14 hit points on easy, and 17 on hard. An Ice Troll has 450 hit points on easy.

Note that the Dart-0 tower only benefits from the first and fifth shop upgrade. The second and fourth upgrade doesn't boost any of them. (The higher damage Stun Dart benefits smoothly from all upgrades to the Dart tower, though.)

VTCT
Clownfish
Clownfish
591 Posts

[Post New]by VTCT on Mar 4, 13 1:23 PM
Very nice of you to do this but a got confussed after the 2nd page

thecaptain777
Guppy
Guppy
139 Posts

[Post New]by thecaptain777 on Mar 16, 13 6:10 PM
Any tips for starting with no money?

[Post New]by Polkadotvans on Apr 30, 13 1:29 PM
Awesome information, thanks!

What about killing stealth creatures? How do I get the radar tower that is already on the first level of "Desert Bones" that sees the stealth creatures, but isn't on future levels?

[Post New]by dianibm on May 6, 13 1:52 AM
Can someone tell me how to target a specific enemy? See quoted text below for an example of what I mean.

Thanks for all the info!

<<"You can select an enemy to be a preferred target. Any tower within range will switch over to that enemy. That is very useful for taking out shaman before they get too close. Only one enemy can be selected at a time, though.">>

[Post New]by lesleyvance501 on Jun 12, 13 3:39 AM
To target an enemy, you just click on him. You know he is targeted because he will get a little red target sign above his head. If one of your weapons is not shooting at him, he is probably not in range yet.

I have played all the levels except for the hardest level 20. I thought I might like to get some more gems first and buy some more upgrades, but it seems like a lot of work and I have so many upgrades to buy. Does anyone know what we are doing to earn a gem? It seems even when I play the same level over, I get different amounts of gems and I can't figure out why.

cur6141
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by cur6141 on Jul 30, 13 8:40 AM
What is the method of killing the invisibles?

[Post New]by ftnwo2012 on Nov 7, 13 2:24 AM
Hello ?

I'm at level 17. I have nothing to defend myself: no money, no weapons, nothing!
Is it a bug? How to do?

Go to: