aymes
Guppy
Guppy
190 Posts

What would you like to see in Tribloos 3 ?

[Post New]by aymes on Feb 14, 13 1:27 AM
Hello everyone, Andy here again.

I hope you've all been enjoying Tribloos 2 (and 1 of course).

I'm currently brainstorming ideas for Tribloos 3 (no promises yet!) But rather than second guess what everyone would like to see in the game I wondered if anyone had any suggestions or a wish list of things they'd love to see in the third game?

Or maybe even things you don't want to see again (eg. Airship level!)

Let me know and I'll see what I can do

Edited on 04/18/2013 at 2:19:42 PM PST

festclick
Minnow
Minnow
279 Posts

Re:What would you like to see in Tribloos 3 ?

[Post New]by festclick on Feb 14, 13 4:21 AM
Definitely no airship! I liked being able to skip the bonus levels. I enjoyed doing some of them but didn't care enough to get gold on two of them, so it was a good balance for me. I appreciate there being so many quality levels with different ideas but you can always get to the next level of the game. I wasn't a huge fan of the pipes because you have to replay several times to figure out the time to wait before sending workers from base, and then you can still get the timing wrong if workers decide to go from somewhere other than the base. In this situation it would be handy if you could control where they are sent from, say by a combined left and right click to indicate sending from base, or holding down a key when you cleft click. Otherwise, I liked the story elements and the integration with gameplay, it was well done, and I'd like more of these variations on the time-management theme. I thought the challenge levels, with no hazards to workers but an interesting multitasking problem to solve, were good too. Those Tribloos need union representation, talk about a dangerous work environment! Ha ha!

This may not be popular, but I'd like even tougher challenge levels (super challenge?) where you have to find creative ways to split workers and sometimes leave workers idle and other unexpected things. Also, I'd like to be able to send workers to an accessible destination (perhaps with a right click) even when there is currently nothing to collect. If there is a timing hazard like the pipes, or just a delay before workers return but you have spare workers in the base, it could be useful to send them closer, and then when the time is right reassign them to go past the hazard, and not have to send them from a long way out.

It would be helpful to have an elapsed time since you started the level by clicking displayed, so you can compare different strategies for time.

aymes
Guppy
Guppy
190 Posts

[Post New]by aymes on Feb 14, 13 7:27 AM
Thanks for sharing your thoughts festclick!

I don't think there's any danger of another airship level, I'll just have to be even more creative for the bonus levels this time! Maybe something a bit more puzzlier (I already have some ideas for that).

I really like your idea of pre-designated stops! Or maybe even being able to place "waypoints" (for some reason I'm thinking of bus stops) where the workers will stop until needed - I can feel some quite devious levels coming on with that in mind! I think to keep it simple I'd like to stick with the nearest-available-worker-selected kind of philosophy though, plus it doesn't translate to mac very well with the two mouse buttons thing.

Maybe a workers union could be integrated into the story somehow!

Anything is possible right now. Let me know if you have any other thoughts and thanks again.

tyler2
Squid
Squid
61 Posts

[Post New]by tyler2 on Feb 14, 13 2:02 PM
Hi Andy, First, thanks for all your replies and help! I'm not sure I'm in the majority, but I actually liked the pipes. They were difficult and frustrating, but it was fun figuring them out. I wasn't a huge fan of the Airship (sorry!), but thanks so much for not putting in a bunch of match-3's. Since you're already coming up with new and devious things I'm breathing a huge sigh of relief, because that means there will be a Tribloos 3. Tribloos 2 was so much fun I also purchased the original game! So please keep thinking those devious thoughts and I'll be anxiously waiting for the next installment of this terrific series.

aymes
Guppy
Guppy
190 Posts

[Post New]by aymes on Feb 15, 13 1:47 AM
Hello tyler2, thanks for that

Yes I think I'll have to have *something* like the pipes but not sure what yet! And don't worry, it won't be a match-3 game in Tribbs 3 either! I have 2/3 ideas for bonus levels but not sure how they'd fit into the story yet.

Currently I'm trying to come up with some more unique locations for the game (rather than forest, ice, lava, etc...) to shake things up a bit. I know at least two of the areas but still working on the others.

Thanks for getting BOTH games! That's fantastic to hear and glad to know that you enjoyed them

[Post New]by dixieangels on Feb 15, 13 2:36 PM
Andy, I am so glad to know you are working on another game. I enjoyed the pipes and the timing too. It was a challenge to me to figure out WHEN to send my workers out to pass them.I liked that on some levels I had to send them out as soon as the steam started and others I counted seconds before sending. Some of the levels I had to play a LOT of times to figure it out and that was the fun of the games. I too, went back and bought Tribloos 1 and went through it with all gold. I am working on it again as I miss the games so much. I don't know what it was about the airship that I could not navigate it. Maybe because I had only 1 little Tribloo working? I still would love to get gold on it and when I start game 2 again, will try again. LOL.

I dislike build games but yours are never boring as most of them are. I really don't know if yours is a 'build' game or not. Anyway, I'm sure that whatever you come up with will be fun. I DO like being able to move on no matter how long it takes me to do a level, as I enjoy going through the game and then working on the gold as I want to.

As my first post to you said, I find your games 'enchanting' and different. Will be looking for the next one (no pressure, haha).

aymes
Guppy
Guppy
190 Posts

[Post New]by aymes on Feb 19, 13 9:06 AM
Hello Dixieangels, thanks very much for the "enchanting" description! Much appreciated

I'm definitely hoping to retain the feel of the first two games (most of the engine will be re-used after all!)

Yes I'm not sure they really qualify as building games (like build-a-lot) as they're more critical-path-analysis rather than simulation. Maybe I need a whole new term to describe Tribbs (a workforce-management-game?)

njewer
Guppy
Guppy
129 Posts

[Post New]by njewer on Feb 22, 13 6:44 AM
I liked the pipes as well - fun (and frustrating!) but mostly fun and satisfying when you figured it out. I didn't much like the dark levels but I LOVED the underwater ones - just found them kind of soothing, replayed them many times! Also did not like the space levels - hated those slow tribloos!!! I have played both games too many times to count, honestly they are my two favourite games of all time (and I have over 300 games here at bigfish!!!). But please don't let our opinions sway you too much (except the no airship!) - I loved what YOU came up with and I am sure wherever your imagination takes us will be awesome....just please, make it soon!!!

Thanks so much for caring!
Nancy

Edited on 02/22/2013 at 6:44:56 AM PST

aymes
Guppy
Guppy
190 Posts

[Post New]by aymes on Feb 25, 13 6:12 AM
njewer, thanks for that! Wonderful to hear that they're in your top two on BFG!

Well I did ask for opinions, I already knew the airship/arcade type level should be left out based on previous comments so no worries about that.

I have quite a few ideas but I'm concentrating on moving Tribloos 2 to new devices over the next few weeks so it's a great time to hear what people liked/disliked before I cement my design for the next game too much!

As always I want to make a game everyone wants to play The response from the BFG community has been amazing (again!) so I definitely want to hear what everyone has to say about it and do my best to improve for the next game.

I'm also hoping I can make a new game sooner than the gap between the 1st/2nd games so hopefully I'll be able to give out more news on that over the next couple of weeks once the other work is done.

Thanks again for your reply, hope I can make Tribloos 3 get into your top 3!

[Post New]by 88catherine on Feb 27, 13 8:09 AM
I loved the games Tribloos 1 and Tribloos 2 and I can't wait for Tribloos 3. My 5 year old son loves to watch me play and has started playing on some of the more simple levels. I use the time to reinforce counting the Tribloos and teaching him the game. I would like to see if you could come up with a simple version for kids that has numbers and letters in it. As far as Tribloos 3 I thought maybe dinosaurs with a prehistoric land and more of the same. The only thing I have not liked so far is the airship. I think it was a good idea but a little to hard to manage. Maybe if it was easier to get the balloons it would not have been so bad. Over all a great concept and I hope to see many more games in the future. I love TM games and this is one of my all time favorites. I really think it would be cute to have a kids version designed more simplistic and with learning in mind. Thanks for the great games.

njewer
Guppy
Guppy
129 Posts

[Post New]by njewer on Mar 17, 13 7:57 AM
One more thing It would be great if you could show the high scores for each level...after playing this game for the umpteenth time it would really add to the replay value if I could try to beat my previous high score...thanks again!

Edited on 03/17/2013 at 7:57:54 AM PST

aymes
Guppy
Guppy
190 Posts

[Post New]by aymes on Mar 22, 13 7:07 AM
Hello all, apologies for not replying sooner.

njewer - high scores for each level? Sounds like a good idea! How about if I put them on the End Level panel, next to the currently achieved high score. Then if you've beaten it it can say something along the lines of "You beat your high score!"

88catherine - Love the idea of dinosaurs! Very much so...I will see what I can do. Great to hear your son enjoys the game too. An educational Tribloos game is certainly a possibility. I will have a serious think about that

Thank you both for your suggestions, I really appreciate it!

[Post New]by LavenderLion on Apr 15, 13 12:41 AM
Hi,
I have both Tribloos 1 and 2 and really enjoy them. On the first one I thought it was too simple looking a game and I'd just play the demo. But soon realized there really was a lot more to it then appeared at first glance. Got hooked and bought it. Then bought the second as soon as I saw it. Hope you do make a 3rd version.

In Tribloos 2 I liked the underwater section. It was a good challenge to need the diving suits. Hope you have something more that that. The dragon eggs were fun too. But I really hate the pipes!!! The just made me crazy. Mostly I liked all the unusual settings. I never quite knew where they were going next. (Mars? Pluto?)

And maybe you could tone down the sound effect on making the tools? Sometimes the banging sound would just get too much and I'd stop playing.

Please keep the art style. Its unique and fun.

aymes
Guppy
Guppy
190 Posts

[Post New]by aymes on Apr 15, 13 3:46 PM
Hello LavenderLion, thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Obviously I'm really happy you tried the demo of the first one and that you enjoyed it enough to get the full games. That means I've done a few things right at least!

I'll definitely be taking your comments on board, the style will be definitely kept! And I'll do my best to address the sharpness of the tool shed sound so it doesn't get on your nerves too much in the next game

stingstungme
Minnow
Minnow
216 Posts

[Post New]by stingstungme on Apr 18, 13 12:27 PM
LavenderLion wrote:Hi,
I have both Tribloos 1 and 2 and really enjoy them. On the first one I thought it was too simple looking a game and I'd just play the demo. But soon realized there really was a lot more to it then appeared at first glance. Got hooked and bought it. Then bought the second as soon as I saw it. Hope you do make a 3rd version.

I agree with this! ^

I demoed the original Tribloos when it first came to BF, I thought the graphics were awful and amateurish. Only played a few levels and quit.

Some time after Tribloos 2 came out, I reluctantly demoed that. Pretty soon the demo was over and I thought well the graphics are cheesy but everything else is cool so I went back and finished the first demo and bought both at the beginning of February.

It really is a nice game if you look past the surface.

The

stingstungme
Minnow
Minnow
216 Posts

[Post New]by stingstungme on Apr 18, 13 12:39 PM
This game has an extraordinary amount of clicking.

My suggestion is to keep things straightforward and honest.

Example would be the airship.

Don't tell us to gather 20 balloons to win the level knowing full well you can not gather 20 balloons AND get gold.

The amount of balloons you have when you cross the finish line does not matter. This deception or trickery let to people being massively frustrated and needlessly replaying this level.

My arm doesn't like you very much right now.

No trickery this time around.

Having different skill levels would be nice as well. Maybe a regular and hard or timed and untimed.

(LavendarLions) The pipes were easy to figure out. Just time it once. I usually sent my workers when it was just about to end. Then again it depended on how far away they were. You have to give them time for stairs, ropes and etc.

If they include pipes in future sequels, you can also do what I did during the latter levels. Send two groups to the pipe but stagger them. So if the first group gets their tushes burned, the second group might have a chance.

Plus if the pipes start blowing out steam right before your workers get there then recall them. It is better than letting them burn. When they burn, they have to go all the way back home. If you recall them and the pipes stop, you can send them again without waiting for them to return home.

Edited on 06/30/2013 at 11:44:10 AM PST

stingstungme
Minnow
Minnow
216 Posts

[Post New]by stingstungme on Apr 18, 13 1:07 PM
aymes wrote:Thanks for sharing your thoughts festclick!

I really like your idea of pre-designated stops! Or maybe even being able to place "waypoints" (for some reason I'm thinking of bus stops) where the workers will stop until needed - I can feel some quite devious levels coming on with that in mind! I think to keep it simple I'd like to stick with the nearest-available-worker-selected kind of philosophy though, plus it doesn't translate to mac very well with the two mouse buttons thing.

This kind of reminds me of storage houses\huts\shacks that other games are using. Instead of bringing the resources all the way back to the base camp or house, they take the items to either the house or storage camp. Whichever is closer. If they do an action and don't have any item to store, they still go to the nearest home or storage house.

Which I find to be awesome with huge maps. I can spread out my workers this way.

But with Tribloos there can only be x amount of Tribloos in any given location. So would your bus stop idea have a set amount of workers.

Would there be a time limit on how long they could stay there? Or are you treating it as another house or camp where they can stay there until summoned.

I'm trying to figure out how you would link the bus stop or waypoint with the pipe.
Would clicking on the pipe automatically send those at the waypoint?

Usually whichever Tribloos are closer and are not carrying anything or need to get anything from the house get summoned first.

With the pipes, you need the sheet metal which is located at the base camp or house. So how will our Tribloo get the sheet metal? No point sending him to hang out at the waypoint or bus stop if he doesn't have the needed material.

So will he randomly take the sheet metal with him every time he is summoned there.

Or will he go to the waypoint if he is summoned to the pipes then the user recalls or cancels the request.

Maybe my boss was right when he said I overthink things.

#badhabit

bfgMonongahela
Manatee
Manatee
4,448 Posts

[Post New]by bfgMonongahela on Apr 18, 13 2:19 PM
Hi Fishies,

Just swimming in to add a stick to this thread, so everyone will be able to find it more easily.

bfgMonongahela

[Post New]by aglais on Apr 19, 13 8:27 AM
This is the first "Time Management" game I have played, and the best thing since the fondly remembered "Lemmings". I have played it about five times with different names, and in spite of frustrating pipes and travelators, I have gained gold on every level, and I know I'll be back again. I did find the bonus levels trivial and irritating, but that is my only criticism. What about a tropical forest level, with creatures that create hazards at random, such as webs or termite mounds? Or aliens on an asteroid level leaving things to trip the wee guys up, or stick to their feet?
Whatever you come up with, I know I'll enjoy it.

aymes
Guppy
Guppy
190 Posts

[Post New]by aymes on Apr 26, 13 1:05 PM
Oooh, loads of feedback and I've been away! (quite literally, it was holiday time!)

Aglais, I like the idea of the webs! I hadn't really thought of spiders yet so that's a possibility. I think I'll try to avoid space the next time around, it felt natural this time but I felt I was running out of steam at that point - not that I'm ruling it out completely though

Random hazards are a bit of an issue - if you've played the first Tribloos you'll know about the *Birds* which was complained about quite a lot because they caused problems at random and could turn a gold run on a level into a bronze instantly :/ Maybe if I can do it better than those I'll give it a go.

Thanks for the very kind words btw, I'm so happy to hear you've played about 5 times! Wheee!

Stingsungme, blimey! Lots of notes

Firstly, just wanted to say that no trickery was intended with the airship level. The fact that you can get gold without collecting the balloons was only pointed out to me after the release of the game on BFG, I honestly had no idea! Tribloos just isn't that kind of game to try and trick you - not like that anyway.

Certainly the bus stop idea needs trying out and some thought put behind it. Personally I see it working like you described, workers can be added/removed to a stop as a sawmill. Whether or not they automatically get assigned to nearby jobs, or if you need to remove them from the stop before this happens - that's a prototyping issue that I can't wait to try

For jobs that require certain materials (eg. scrap to sheet metal), while it would be possible to create a dialog that would allow you to send a worker with certain materials to a stop, perhaps this would over complicate the game mechanics (it would be a *large* dialog after all!)

I don't think you're over-thinking it at all, I think you're thinking like a game designer, which is awesome!

Go to: