bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Dark Canvas: A Brush With Death

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Feb 15, 13 12:29 AM
Uncover the mystery behind an artist's deadly talent in Dark Canvas: A Brush With Death! Your daughter, Angie, was traveling through Europe when she vanished without a trace. Her last letter urged you to come to a remote island town in Italy, where she had stumbled upon a dark secret. When you arrive, you learn that there has been a series of tragic deaths in town, accompanied by sightings of a legendary spirit called the Silhouette. With no way of knowing who would be next, citizens turned to Virgil, a local artist who could famously predict the future through his paintings. Now you must seek out Virgil and his mysterious paintings before you and your daughter become the next victims of his deadly predictions!

Edited on 02/15/2013 at 3:10:01 AM PST

spenny1
Catfish
Catfish
1,637 Posts

Re:Dark Canvas: A Brush With Death

[Post New]by spenny1 on Feb 15, 13 12:35 AM
When was this game originally released? I'm sure I recognise those screen shots

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Feb 15, 13 12:44 AM
I have just made a discovery that goes against what is usually assumed with the D/L time:

I am trying to download TGT "Dark Canvas", but it more or less stopped at 9%, downloading by bites rather than by MBs, so I took it off again and waited for a while to try again.

In the meantime, while I waited, I downloaded today's DD "Elementals: The Magic Key", and it downloaded in no time.

So I tried to download TGT "Dark Canvas" again, and this time it stopped at 14%, again only downloading bite by bite rather than MB by MB.

For me, this is a very rare occasion. All games usually always download fast. But what my point of all this is: everyone assumes that when someone's game downloads slow it's because there is a lot of traffic in their area and such, but it can't be so, because the DD I downloaded in between trying to download TGT downloaded fast.

--- --- ---

And because I still made a review for the CE, I will copy it here.

There are 4 chapters.

There are 3 gameplay modes: Casual, Advanced, Extreme.
In Casual, the Hint button takes 50 seconds to refill, in Advanced the Hint button takes 3x as long to refill, and in Extreme there is no help at all.

There are 3 choices of cursor: Big ugly, tiny ugly and super tiny system cursor.

There is widescreen.

There is voice-over.

Your Journal is at the left. Inside you will also find your Achievements and a "Clues" tab, as well as a Sketchbook.

At the right is the Hint button in form of an ink well. The Hint button also works outside of the HOS (hidden object scenes), but only refills instantly if it points you to a different area. When it points to a certain spot you should investigate, it needs 50 seconds to refill in Casual mode.

The HOS are interactive. Some of the objects need an extra step before you can pick them up, and some items are hidden from view.

I have played the demo for only about 35 minutes, and only came across 1 HOS in that time, which I had to play twice. This HOS did not have the best of graphics, unlike the rest of the game.

Puzzles can be skipped. The Skip button also takes about 50 seconds to fill in Casual mode.

--- --- ---

Nice game, nice graphics, but nothing new, and I wasn't thrown off my chair with excitement. I will give the SE demo another go, and see whether I want to get it as an SE.

Mart1n0940
Squid
Squid
65 Posts

[Post New]by Mart1n0940 on Feb 15, 13 12:59 AM
Valdy wrote:I have just made a discovery that goes against what is usually assumed with the D/L time:

I am trying to download TGT "Dark Canvas", but it more or less stopped at 9%, downloading by bites rather than by MBs, so I took it off again and waited for a while to try again.

I have found exactly the same thing with my download today except that after the 3rd try it raced up to 22% at normal speed then slammed the brakes on. Went from 13Mbs down to 0.2Mbs

I haven't had this for a while with a BFG game but have seem it from time to time with the BD Studio games that also come down via BFG

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Feb 15, 13 3:11 AM
spenny1 wrote:When was this game originally released? I'm sure I recognise those screen shots

This was a Collector's Edition game previously so that is probably why it seems familiar.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Feb 15, 13 3:37 AM
Mart1n0940 wrote:I have found exactly the same thing with my download today except that after the 3rd try it raced up to 22% at normal speed then slammed the brakes on. Went from 13Mbs down to 0.2Mbs

I haven't had this for a while with a BFG game but have seem it from time to time with the BD Studio games that also come down via BFG

Well... It's now been 3 1/2 hours or thereabouts, and I have downloaded so far 94% - and we are talking about the demo version, which is barely 183MB. Ooops... make that 95% now.

Mart... if you download a game, and stop it at some point before it is finished, it will race up to the percentage which you have downloaded so far, and then continue its slow trek from then on.

I have never, but not once in all the years I have downloaded a game from here, had such a slow download. And if a game did get stuck at some point, which happened a couple of times in the past, it then sped up and downloaded quickly after I stopped it and waited for a short while. This is the first game that takes forever, literally. Ooops... 96% downloaded now.
Here is hoping I can buy (and download) the full version today, so I won't miss out on that extra punch. LOL

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Feb 15, 13 3:47 AM
I got the CE and I was happy with the purchase. I enjoyed the story and the game play allowed me to remain in the plot most of the time so I felt a certain amount of tension that's lacking in many games. I frequently get bored and don't even finish the bonus but this one kept me interested until the very end, which for me is high praise.

Good voice acting, very good graphics, very good story and execution and most of the tasks were logically laid out (in other words, you weren't required to get a feather buried under a rock which required a jack so you could dust off a spiderweb to activate a hidden object scene.)

read61
Salmon
Salmon
2,775 Posts

[Post New]by read61 on Feb 15, 13 4:24 AM
I have been patiently waiting for the SE of this one for a while and the bonus punch is the icing on the cake! Valdy, I cannot understand why your DL is taking so long, mine was about 20 minutes and usually it is the other way around! I did get a *High Disk Useage* alert from Norton when it was activating though.............whatever that means! Now I must go and play this one to see if I want to buy - before the bonus offer is done! Good luck............

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Feb 15, 13 4:25 AM
I had exactly the same problem with the demo download; it slowed to a speed that could have been surpassed by dial-up! I've had some slow downloads but nothing like this. Eventually I stopped it at 56%, left it for about 5 minutes and then carried on. After that it flew through the rest!

I'd forgotten about this game; didn't buy the CE possibly because it was a bit too 'sparkly' even on advanced mode. But I really enjoyed this demo; nothing too frustrating to find in the HOS, puzzles were pretty good and mostly easy enough to figure out (apart from one; I hate those peg-jumping solitaire type games so skipped it!), story moved along nicely, clear graphics and it filled my w/s monitor.

I have one PCC left (and with the extra punch I'll get another one) so this is a buy for me

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Feb 15, 13 5:12 AM
Read61... I have no idea what happened with the demo this morning.

I have now bought the game and downloaded the full version and, as with all the games that went before this one, it only took 3 or 4 minutes to download and install (that's about the time a good-sized game takes for me to download).
Now, I don't know why the demo took so long (never happened before), but the full version installed in a very short time, I am very happy to say.

Well, I played the demo (again). When I played the CE demo, I didn't like it all that much, but I did like the demo better when I played it this time. So I purchased it.

Oh, and since I no longer buy CEs, this is the second SE that has made it worth waiting for, the first one being "Time Mysteries: The final Enigma".
I rather like the idea that I can from now on look forward to at least 2 SEs per week I will want to get (those that have been CEs first). I usually was disappointed with the CEs' bonus games, and then felt sorry that I didn't wait for the SE. Well, no more of that.

read61
Salmon
Salmon
2,775 Posts

[Post New]by read61 on Feb 15, 13 5:27 AM
Glad your download *picked up speed* Valdy - very strange, maybe we should blame the asteroid! I think we are on the same page here, I also downloaded the SE of Time Mysteries yesterday but have not had the chance to try it yet. I am like you, trying really hard not to get CEs but wait for the SEs; or course, sometimes I just cannot wait! I like the demo of this one, only one HO scene in twenty minutes (!) and the graphics are good, game does not seem too difficult so far and with that extra punch I think it will be a buy. Also I have not noticed any problems with english in the dialogue (my own personal bugaboo). A little surprised that the boat captain spoke with an american accent - thought we were in Italy! But I guess it could happen.............Hope you enjoy your game!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Feb 15, 13 8:02 AM
read61 wrote:I have been patiently waiting for the SE of this one for a while and the bonus punch is the icing on the cake! Valdy, I cannot understand why your DL is taking so long, mine was about 20 minutes and usually it is the other way around! I did get a *High Disk Useage* alert from Norton when it was activating though.............whatever that means! Now I must go and play this one to see if I want to buy - before the bonus offer is done! Good luck............

Forgot to comment on the bolded: I too get the "High Disk Usage" pretty regularly, although I didn't get it today. I think Norton has decided to give us something else to wonder about, and added that as well. Can't remember when it first started, must have been 6-12 months ago.
Anyway... I have loads of RAM and loads of everything else, so I just ignore that tab when it comes up. LOL

I poked around online and found one answer: The alert we get is part of the Performance Monitoring that Norton does. So if a programme has a high usage (or you have too many programmes running at the same time), you are getting an alert. There are several reasons it could come up, but most of the time there is, apparently, no reason to worry. Well, I don't worry. I just will it away. LOL

GrandWeeze
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by GrandWeeze on Feb 15, 13 8:26 AM
Absolutely no download problem. Start to activation was approx. 2 minutes. Again, I thank my cable modem!
Concerning the problem of trying to limit CE purchases, in the past year I haven't even demoed CE's because I know I'm not going to spend the money on them. An advantage to this is that I don't get angry with BFG as others do saying there is no new game to play the day the SE comes out. And I have plenty of demos in queue waiting to play on the days a CE is introduced.

ritchieprod
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by ritchieprod on Feb 15, 13 4:19 PM
Seemed like a pretty good game until an item disappeared from my inventory. Got the paint brush, chopped the bristles and it disappeared. Can't move on in the game and that didn't bode well enough to start over with a new profile. Also, a pet peeve is the profile with only 8 characters. Cheesy!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Feb 17, 13 11:59 AM
I bought the SE and have only just finished the game.
Now here is a game that kept my interest throughout the whole time. Not once did I get bored, and I loved the different HOS, especially those with the silhouettes.

There aren't many games that I really enjoy playing till the end, but this was one of them. Very entertaining, and a tad suspenseful as well.

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Apr 24, 13 9:11 AM
this game seems to be a little older than it is------- . but we still enjoyed playing it,--------------- . they only get better (HOPE)....................

Go to: