bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Dark Canvas: A Brush With Death

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Feb 15, 13 12:39 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Dark Canvas: A Brush With Death ? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Dark Canvas: A Brush With Death page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Dark Canvas: A Brush With Death

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Feb 15, 13 12:39 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Feb 15, 13 12:41 AM
Interested in checking out the reviews for the CE version of this game?

Just click here!

bfgBaikal

unknitter
Clownfish
Clownfish
535 Posts

[Post New]by unknitter on Feb 15, 13 11:49 AM
Some reviewers were less than enthusiastic about this game, but after playing the demo I found reason enough to buy it. I was able to find and use my inventory items within a few scenes, so I didn't have a ton of inventory piled up and more to search for while running all over the place without a map. To me that's a big plus. Maybe I'm not the expert player that others seem to be, but for me the fun ends when the frustration begins.

I don't usually pay a lot of attention to the story as most tend to be pretty far-fetched. If I want a good story I'll read a book! The couple of puzzles I played in the demo were fun, not too easy or too hard. The graphics aren't my favorite style but they are clear. The HOS seem slightly blurred or washed out, but the objects aren't that hard to find.

If the game play continues to move along, and I hope I don't eat those words later, it will be worth a credit, especially with today's bonus punch!

Badgerrrt
Lobster
Lobster
83 Posts

[Post New]by Badgerrrt on Feb 15, 13 2:07 PM

Edited on 02/17/2013 at 2:57:05 AM PST

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Feb 15, 13 5:06 PM
A fairly short game...maybe 2 hours or so. Enjoyable and somewhat challenging. Certainly not something I would write home about. Voice overs were fine except "Virgle" was a bit of a hysteric. Interesting story but not too deep....easy to figure out what was up.

Graphics were nice and clear, HOS clear.

Mini games, well I skipped most because they were either tedious or confusing. Skip recharged quite quickly. Hint was a little on the slow side but I did use it a lot to move around when I had a brain fart. A great deal of dialog that I skipped quite a bit of....Oh well, considering BF isn't putting out a lot lately, it was worth a credit, especially to get an additional credit.

HOS switch from the sillouette to the list which made them a bit more interesting. Interactive also. I'd give this a 2.5 out of 5 just because it didn't really shake my bones. Maybe the CE had a bit more to it....the ending did leave you dangling a bit.

Edited on 02/15/2013 at 5:07:39 PM PST

roxycavalier
Stingray
Stingray
5,621 Posts

[Post New]by roxycavalier on Feb 15, 13 10:27 PM
This game is boring. I almost fell asleep!

_Angel_angel
Minnow
Minnow
284 Posts

[Post New]by _Angel_angel on Feb 15, 13 10:54 PM

A bit far fetched in places.

Actually picked up something accidentally.

I used the hint button a few times and discovered that it was a good thing that I had, because I wouldn't have come up with that answer on my own, LOL

Not bad, just not good enough with all the other choices out there.

Angel

mcbay111
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by mcbay111 on Feb 16, 13 8:12 PM

Edited on 02/17/2013 at 2:59:13 AM PST

pzzllvr
Starfish
Starfish
41 Posts

[Post New]by pzzllvr on Feb 17, 13 12:56 PM
Fast and easy. Wasn't long enough nor challenging enough. Ok if just need to pass time. I agree with what a lot of others said. I would give it 3 stars.

banshee10
Clownfish
Clownfish
564 Posts

[Post New]by banshee10 on Feb 20, 13 11:27 AM
Review of completed game

A nice little game. Nothing to write home about, but I had a good time.
The game took me about 3 hours; usually that's a length to complain about but in this case it was okay - please have in mind that some games are longer just because they have a lot of backtracking and tons of HOS!

A Brush with Death offers a nice story, not too much "borrowing" from other HOPAs, and the plot is thoughtfully unfolded, keeping you interested. I must agree with what bessiegirl said though: the end is, well, quite silly and offers no feeling of a final climax. But the game just did not impress me enough to buy the CE so I can't tell whether a bonus chapter may leave you more satisfied.
Mini games are very easy but nicely done and with a neat variety. HOS are either lists or silhouettes, both interactive and sometimes challenging but not annoying.
Sceneries and graphics are detailed and beautiful, sometimes a little dark since everything takes place at night.

Note to developers:
Why do I have to do pottery if there are several bowls ready to use?
And do you really think every church needs a photo lab?
Ok. Rant over. You're not the only ones with black logic holes...

shagwendy
Stingray
Stingray
4,926 Posts

[Post New]by shagwendy on Feb 20, 13 1:54 PM
banshee10 wrote:Review of completed game

The game took me about 3 hours; usually that's a length to complain about but in this case it was okay - please have in mind that some games are longer just because they have a lot of backtracking and tons of HOS!

A Brush with Death offers a nice story, not too much "borrowing" from other HOPAs, and the plot is thoughtfully unfolded, keeping you interested. I must agree with what bessiegirl said though: the end is, well, quite silly and offers no feeling of a final climax. But the game just did not impress me enough to buy the CE so I can't tell whether a bonus chapter may leave you more satisfied.
Mini games are very easy but nicely done and with a neat variety. HOS are either lists or silhouettes, both interactive and sometimes challenging but not annoying.
Sceneries and graphics are detailed and beautiful, sometimes a little dark since everything takes place at night.

Note to developers:

That's a pretty accurate review of this game. If you only buy one game a month, don't bother with this game, you'll be very disappointed. If you have lots of games, and don't care for a lot of HO scenes, this game will be alright for you. The emphasis was on adventure without much backtracking. Not many HOs, 12 items in each, and 3 or 4 were either hidden or interactive, there were also the silhouette kind where you find one thing to use on another to use on another. Easy mini games. The storyline never drew me in, I didn't care if Dad found his daughter or not, and it didn't seem like he wasn't too worried about it either

yvie
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
8 Posts

[Post New]by yvie on Mar 21, 13 10:59 PM

banshee10 wrote eview of completed game

Note to developers:

shagwendy

Manatee
3,821 Posts

Re eviews for Dark Canvas: A Brush With Death

by shagwendy on Feb 20, 13 1:54 PM
"That's a pretty accurate review of this game. If you only buy one game a month, don't bother with this game, you'll be very disappointed. If you have lots of games, and don't care for a lot of HO scenes, this game will be alright for you. The emphasis was on adventure without much backtracking. Not many HOs, 12 items in each, and 3 or 4 were either hidden or interactive, there were also the silhouette kind where you find one thing to use on another to use on another. Easy mini games. The storyline never drew me in, I didn't care if Dad found his daughter or not, and it didn't seem like he wasn't too worried about it either ".

Thank you for your honesty. I "only" buy one game a month and I'm no longer "bothering" with this game.

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Mar 22, 13 11:54 PM
I Had A Really Enjoyable Time

BASED ON COMPLETED GAME

Sometimes the demos really can be very deceiving, and that was certainly true of this one. Although I loved the concept of this game, paintings that predict the future, I was not overly impressed with the trial.

I went ahead and bought it on sale anyhow, because of the story. I have only just now got around to playing it, and what a wonderful surprise. I sailed right through it in one sitting, not noticing the time, until suddenly it was 3am!

I loved every minute of this game. It had just the right mix of HO/Puzzle/Adventure for my liking .

The HOs were varied and actually a genuine challenge (without ‘cheating’ by making the objects too small or the scene too dark).

Puzzles varied in the degree of difficulty, but few were hard enough to force me to skip.

The adventure aspect followed a logical progression without ever descending to linear. I was kept on the ball all the way, but never felt I was straining.

The story was excellent, treated very cleverly and I was kept guessing till the very end. The graphics, while not over the top, were still top quality, and the sound track was appropriate.

What was lacking was the WOW factor, but in this game I think that was a plus. Sometimes all that bling can detract from the experience by overloading the senses and overshadowing the story.

This is a game for every mood and every player, but I’ll not rate it as five stars, because that spot is reserved for the bling!

I recommend this game!

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Apr 24, 13 9:10 AM
this game seems to be a little older than it is------- . but we still enjoyed playing it,--------------- . they only get better....................

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Jun 3, 13 1:31 PM
This was an enjoyable game, with a nice mix of HOGs and Mini-games.(Puzzles) It had a nice adventure feel to it also. The only thing I can negatively comment on is that it never drew me into the game. I never cared what happened to the characters. Just as an aside, I knew who the culprit was. The artist drew the shadow with curves that could not belong to a male. LOL

BlackWaterRules
Shark
Shark
10,153 Posts

[Post New]by BlackWaterRules on Nov 25, 13 9:03 PM
Based on the demo

This is a fun game, lots of great minipuzzles. Visuals were bright and beautiful. The music was soothing and professionally done.

There wasn't too much of the creepy factor even though there is a shadowy figure who may or may not be killing people in town.

I really enjoyed it and purchased it as soon as I finished the demo.

You can't go wrong with this game.

Go to: