bfgBaikal
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Shadows: Price for Our Sins

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Feb 16, 13 12:37 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Shadows: Price for Our Sins ? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Shadows: Price for Our Sins page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Shadows: Price for Our Sins

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Feb 16, 13 12:38 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

JulieJay
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,328 Posts

[Post New]by JulieJay on Feb 16, 13 1:54 AM
Hidden Object Puzzle Adventure

Gameplay was really smooth.

Graphics very clear even whilst dark eerie.

Tutorial was very annoying and I won't be using it when I buy the game.

Puzzles - good fun and some very different.

HO scenes - find by word list - interactive. I was a bit miffed at first because in casual mode you get little sparkles to show you where items are! Bad development. I did just learn to ignore them though - I always find items in the order they are listed and leave all interactive items until last.

Map - yes, transportable and shows active areas.

There's no walkthrough posted yet but with this map I don't think you will need one. I do normally like to check this just for approx length though.

Tasks - no.

Any hidden extras i.e. morphing - No.

Achievements - no.

Voiceovers - done a bit differently - your character is the only one with a voice - normally it's the other way around.

Inventory - doesn't lock in place.

Journal - yes.

Can't comment on hint or skip times as I don't use them.

My verdict - a buy for me.

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,628 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Feb 16, 13 2:04 AM
Played 30 minutes, casual

- 2 modes, casual, expert

- Shortly after starting the game you get a notebook

- Same for an interactive map

- Voice over

- Loud spooky music

- Hint refills in 30 seconds casual, 1 minute expert mode, useful outside H0

- H0, you interact a lot, some objects are not too easy to spot, i.e brown on brown background

- Sparkles in casual mode, they do appear in H0 which is a shame

- Skip button

- Interesting mini games

- Good graphics

You're going to an Halloween party and it gets really scary... Strange that this game appears at this time of the year, still it looks like a good SE, well worth spending a punch card credit on.

Edited on 02/16/2013 at 2:06:19 AM PST

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,087 Posts

[Post New]by sassylassie on Feb 16, 13 2:14 AM
This to me is a 10/10 game. I beta tested this game and was waiting for it to come out. WARNING: I am playing in advanced mode, and I was doing the skull and pumpkin puzzle. I clicked on the '?' and it looked like the solution to the puzzle. So I did their step by step to see if it was, and it was. This is the first dev I seen do this.

Story: Missy goes to a Halloween party to play a game with her friends. Luckily for her mom called and she went outside to talk, and all of a sudden her friends disappeared. The Shadows took them.

Graphics: Awesome! This team has a top notched art crew.

Mini games: Like I said at the top, I don't know if all the puzzles have the solutions, but the skull one did. I like to try it on my own first before seeing any solutions. As that is the fun of it.

Music: Fits the game perfectly. Keeps up the ambiance of the game.

Hint: Although this game does have a jump map, the hint button is wonderful in pointing you in the right direction. I don't use the hint in the hos's though.

I was waiting for this game to come out and I am glad it did. I am truly enjoying this one. Nice and spooky. Kudos to the team.

ritchieprod
Squid
Squid
71 Posts

[Post New]by ritchieprod on Feb 16, 13 5:30 AM
I wanted to like this one, but there were too many irritating things about it. The story is good, but everything is very slow. The movies move slowly, the game responds slowly and makes the mini games tedious instead of fun. I liked the very nonchalant ghosts you encounter. No fright, just spirits in distress. The HO scenes had a puzzling interaction mode. Difficult to see a difference where something needs to be moved to see the object behind. It felt random and frustrating. This is a no buy for me. I didn't even finish the demo.

Micha1234
Clownfish
Clownfish
715 Posts

[Post New]by Micha1234 on Feb 16, 13 6:47 AM
ritchieprod wrote:I wanted to like this one, but there were too many irritating things about it. The story is good, but everything is very slow. The movies move slowly, the game responds slowly and makes the mini games tedious instead of fun. I liked the very nonchalant ghosts you encounter. No fright, just spirits in distress. The HO scenes had a puzzling interaction mode. Difficult to see a difference where something needs to be moved to see the object behind. It felt random and frustrating. This is a no buy for me. I didn't even finish the demo.

Same here. Just couldn't get into this game. Found the HOG scene interaction very annoying.

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
4,751 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Feb 16, 13 7:39 AM
ritchieprod wrote:I wanted to like this one, but there were too many irritating things about it. The story is good, but everything is very slow. The movies move slowly, the game responds slowly and makes the mini games tedious instead of fun. I liked the very nonchalant ghosts you encounter. No fright, just spirits in distress. The HO scenes had a puzzling interaction mode. Difficult to see a difference where something needs to be moved to see the object behind. It felt random and frustrating. This is a no buy for me. I didn't even finish the demo.

I agree with this completely. Very clunky game, artwork is substandard and the overall graphics are just not up to what we usually see at all, just tedious and slow. Seems to have technical problems for many. The story is sort of interesting though. Too bad----the game had potential, but just simply falls way short.

Edited on 02/16/2013 at 7:46:41 AM PST

Eoarod
Flounder
Flounder
2,388 Posts

[Post New]by Eoarod on Feb 16, 13 8:05 AM
Definitely wasn't expecting a Halloween game in Feb - but I'll take it. Game does run a bit slow - cursor isn't hinky, but every scene change, etc. is slower than we are used to & tutorial was very long. Long tutorial would rock for those new to the genre, but was a bit frustrating for me as it was a slow one to click through. That's over with though - so not a huge "minus". I didn't experience the tech issues others did, so it's worth demoing despite the growing tech thread Obviously hope there will be a fix for those who are having issues!

Beautiful graphics and very interesting interactive HO scenes, dev has come up with a couple unique twists. Story is interesting - not quite "I can't tear myself away" compelling - but interesting Puzzles don't seem mind bendingly hard (so far!). Seems fairly intuitive so far as well.

Upshot - this is a very nice game. Worth demoing and for me worth a PCC or maybe a BOGO with this weekend's sale. Likely one that would sit in the GM for a while on my "maybe" list without the sale.

Happy Gaming!

[Post New]by biscuitsmama on Feb 16, 13 8:22 AM
Shadows Price of Our Sins is an interesting SE game. Like others, I am surprised that it was not released as a Halloween game. A nice spooky game.

The Graphics are very good, with the exception of the IHOS where they seem to be a bit fuzzy or muted. Quite frankly, I had a difficult time finding objects except for the sparkles that appear when it seems we are having difficulty locating an item. Very different to see sparkles in the HOS parts of a game. Although there is no walkthrough at present for the game, the map and hint system are available and seem to provide all the help that is needed.

Although the music is very good, I had difficulty hearing the voice overs. I adjusted the music volume down and had the voice volume set at the highest level but the voice overs still seemed too low to hear clearly.

The storyline seems interesting. You are attending a Halloween party when the other guests disappear. This is a game with a story that is worth investigating and I think will hold my attention throughout the game. I like spooky, eerie games and this one seems very promising.

I think this is a very nice game and will be an interesting way to spend some time on a rainy afternoon. A definite replay is in order next Halloween!

KathyGriggs
Guppy
Guppy
159 Posts

[Post New]by KathyGriggs on Feb 16, 13 9:24 AM
This is a no buy for me simply because I have to play the music to hear the voice. I find the music very distracting in any game and I always mute it. Looks like it might be ok otherwise, but not for me. Shame on any of the devs that include the voice overs with the music.

Edited on 02/16/2013 at 9:26:08 AM PST

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,610 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Feb 16, 13 9:35 AM
The first thing that caught my eye was the "welcome to hell" and that immediately peaked my interest and made me want to discover what this devs definition of hell was. The storyline is quite interesting and graphics are good.

I did however turn the sound off during the first hidden object scene as I really dislike hearing loudish noises everytime I click on a correct item. I don't know why devs do this because the fact that the item itself vanishes and it gets crossed off the list should be enough to tell us that we have made an accurate click. These noises always seem so much louder than every other sound to me and despite turning it back on I only heard speaking in the intro and so I turned it off again and have left it off.

Despite the above mentioned noise, not being able to easily find behind which object a hidden item was hidden and having to click more than once on some things (such as when placing the mirror and finding out by clicking the hint that the frame I had tried to fit it in several times was the correct one) I bought the game.

I must admit that I am enjoying it overall although I was a bit disappointed that one of the puzzle type areas I was looking forward to doing was actually done for you.

As Sassy says, don't click on the ? on the puzzles unless you are totally stuck as the skull/pumpkin puzzle isn't the only one that gives you the complete solution.

As to the length it looks like being quite a decent length for an SE because you have to find all 8 figures for the board game and they come in halves so I think it is worth buying but especially if you get it as part of today's sale.

Cherb

steve_san
Minnow
Minnow
233 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Feb 16, 13 11:42 AM
This review is based on the trial.

PROS:
Extremely well drawn, crisp and clear objects. I did not have any navigation issues or slowness.
Has interactive map with active areas marked.
Hidden object/puzzles/mini-games about equal in number. Hidden object scenes are interacitve, requiring you to either click on or do something with some objects to progress. Puzzles and mini games (in trial) are somewhat easier than hidden object scenes.
Main character (only) has voice over. All characters are well drawn.
Sound effects change with scenes and are sometimes part of the story.

CONS: (minor)
Why does every car in these games include a push-button radio?
Story is interesting but simplistic, fairly obvious.
No special items to collect or achievements to earn.

Overall a good SE game which I purchased with today's BOGO.

Three and a half stars out of five

1/2

bezzer
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by bezzer on Feb 16, 13 2:56 PM
I thought todays game-Price For Our Sins was a brilliant game. It's longer than many a Collectors game and wIth BOGOF today an absolute bargain. Had a great few hours playing it, thanks BF.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Feb 16, 13 2:58 PM
Not a bad game, some of the HOG's were a little small and hard to see, but it did have a map and hints reloaded fast.
Story was a little jumpy and had to do a lot of back tracking. Will have to think on this one. Was thinking of getting it with another one for free as it's a great deal.. Give this a 2 out of 5 starts.

Penguin29
Minnow
Minnow
236 Posts

[Post New]by Penguin29 on Feb 16, 13 3:36 PM
Really really liked this game.. Just finished... no tech issues at all. Also, a pretty long game too. Worth the buy

TheMagus84
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

Good game, even with the mistakes!

[Post New]by TheMagus84 on Feb 16, 13 4:56 PM
I just finished this game and I really liked it. It ran perfectly for me, nothing was clunky. Some of the puzzles were really simple and the hidden objects weren't tedious BUT they did have small objects and it was hard to tell what you were supposed to click on to interact with. There were LOTS of language slips that could have been easily fixed, but it seems like whoever was supposed to edit this game was in a really big hurry to get out of work that day. Examples... the hint for the chain-link "puzzle" was actually the hint from the balancing scales puzzles a few scenes ago... in 1 of the dialog scenes the word "accidentally" was replaced with the word "occasionally", it wasn't a typo, it was completely the wrong word. It was obvious... and a piece of "Chalk" was titled a "Check" and that wasn't even in a HO scene. Those are just the few that I took the time to write down. There were way too many, which makes it look like the developers didn't really care about their game enough to double check it. If that was the case, I guess they got lucky with the game being really good despite these mistakes.
I had done a review on the games page after I completed the trial, but the trial didn't have as many of these slips, so I wanted to post another review in here to give my opinion of the finished game. If I could pick the number of stars to give it now, I'd pick 3.5-4 (if that was possible).
If typos, mislabeled items & mixed up hints don't bother you, you might like this game a lot, as I did. The game plays really well, it's smooth & it doesn't get all confusing.
Another thing that I appreciated was that the game didn't turn into a HO fest after the demo was over. When game developers do that it feels like they are loading up the game with "filler" to make it longer.
This game took me around 6 - 7 hours to finish. I wasn't rushing at all, & I took a few breaks, but it was still a pretty decent length.
I do recommend this game.

xapa
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by xapa on Feb 16, 13 6:12 PM
This game took a long time to get down from the internet, A lot more than normal.
But when I startet to play, I could not stop. It is a very very very good game. But now I have to make a break, it is 3 o'clock in the morning and I need to sleep.
From me 4 and a half star.

schobey
Guppy
Guppy
139 Posts

[Post New]by schobey on Feb 16, 13 6:55 PM
Kudos to the devs of this game. Was put together very well, enjoyed this game very much. Quite long to. Well worth the price.

mcbay111
Starfish
Starfish
49 Posts

[Post New]by mcbay111 on Feb 16, 13 8:38 PM
KathyGriggs wrote:This is a no buy for me simply because I have to play the music to hear the voice. I find the music very distracting in any game and I always mute it. Looks like it might be ok otherwise, but not for me. Shame on any of the devs that include the voice overs with the music.

Wow I thought I was the only one who found music to distracting to play the games. I just do not concentrate as well as I could if it were quiet. I guess like you I will pass and that is too bad cause i really wanted to buy this game and try it out.

Go to: