Horse vs Wolf

Mauriemo
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

Horse vs Wolf

[Post New]by Mauriemo on Feb 18, 13 11:25 PM
Does anyone else feel bad for killing off one of the human clans?

BlackDark
Guppy
Guppy
121 Posts

Re:Horse vs Wolf

[Post New]by BlackDark on Feb 19, 13 8:25 AM
Mauriemo-

I have played this Game several times already. I would hope that all of us feel badly about having to kill off a Race in order to advance a Story, even if it is just a Computer Game. I’ve killed off the Wolf People twice, and I’ve killed off the Horse People twice. The Horse People want to change the land to be a better place for their Horses; the Wolf People want to leave the land as it is. Forcing me to make this decision does not give me a positive feeling toward this Game.

This Game has several Areas that have caused me some concern: It’s quite short in relation to other games BTG has released; it doesn’t have a true Map, yet their last Game did; and I have to face a life or death decision in a casual computer game.

If you look at when BTG releases, they seem to be on a seven month cycle, which would mean that their next Game should be out either at the end of September or early in October. And due to my concerns, I have decided that their next Game will be the first BTG that I demo before I decide to purchase. If the comments on their next Game are anything like they are for this Phoenix Queen Game, I may not purchase it at all, even if it is a Dark Parables Game. So sad.

Anyway, that’s my 2¢ worth. Feel free to rip me to shreds for caring about a computer game company, but I really loved Rise of the Snow Queen because I’m a sucker for a happy ending. And that happy ending feeling is just not in the Phoenix Queen.

But then I feel I must add, “It’s a game! I have to do much worse in Assassin’s Creed!”

I suspect we all have similar dilemmas we face each and every day. Just don’t get me started on my Grandkids.

-BlackDark

[Post New]by craig_uact on Feb 19, 13 8:55 AM
Couldn't agree more with BlackDark. In Assassin's Creed, both Races would have been killed off without prejudice. And in the end, we wouldn't be blaming ourselves. The aliens made us do it after all.

rubylace66
Guppy
Guppy
162 Posts

[Post New]by rubylace66 on Feb 19, 13 4:25 PM
yes..i hated seeing all those dead horses....there should have been some way to make the two clans live peacefully together....i dont think this sort of decision is neccessary in a big fish game...they are meant to be beautifully escapist entertainment

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Feb 19, 13 4:42 PM
I'm not sure I want to continue playing if I have to see dead animals in it. That's horrible.

kimcol
Squid
Squid
65 Posts

[Post New]by kimcol on Feb 24, 13 9:23 AM
I hate having to make this decision. I have been hoping that something will happen in the game that will make the choice unnecessary, but i guess that's not going to happen.

[Post New]by indigoapple on Feb 24, 13 12:33 PM
I agree with everyone. I came to this forum to see if there was a way I did not have to make this decision. Apparently, I have to. Big Fish - I hope you can pass on the angst this game has caused us "casual" players and ask them to never do this to us again.

Sirocco
Lobster
Lobster
94 Posts

[Post New]by Sirocco on Feb 24, 13 1:06 PM
Horses are my favourite animals, I love them so I could not hurt them but I did feel ousy deciding to kill off the other races, I agree games are supposed to be fun and escapist, this is not, it seems quite unecessary to give us a Sophies Choice like this and I hope they don,t do that again, it is a turn off.

isis1313
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by isis1313 on Mar 1, 13 12:44 AM
I also stopped the game just before making my decision to see if there was a definitive answer, which so far I've see there isn't judging by people saying they've "killed" off clans twice each. Oh well, will toss a coin and see what happens....

[Post New]by KachinaEarth on Mar 4, 13 5:27 PM
So once I reached this part of the game I came to the board to find out if there had been a third option - sadly there wasn't (I was honestly expecting the plot to include the Phoenix Queen/Firebird causing the two tribes to fight until joining together to drive off the Firebird and renew their treaty with friendship) and seeing the posts about having to pick one side and kill off the other was rather sad.

I finally choose to continue the game and picked the Horse Tribe to help first (I then played the game a second time and helped the Wolf Tribe the other time around) and discovered that you do not kill off everyone of the opposing tribe. The following scene says they drove out the rest and have taken the land as their own.

I thought some people might appreciate knowing that the ones who likely died were the fighters who had gone to war and the rest of the tribe survived. Personally I find the Horse Tribe the better choice of the two - they made a single weapon that would have only killed so many people/wolves at at time unlike the Wolf Tribe who poisoned the water source. That, to me, seemed to worse because its not just the opposing forces being poisoned but their families and even the chance of it blowing back and hurting the Wolf Tribe themselves.

Edited on 10/23/2013 at 7:37:56 PM PST

autumn_leaf
Shark
Shark
12,267 Posts

[Post New]by autumn_leaf on Mar 6, 13 5:17 PM
Maybe I am somewhat delusional, but when I saw that the leader on one side was male and the other female, (plus young and hot looking) I was thinking marriage. That ending for the one tribe.....I honestly do not like being forced to choose on killing something, I never honestly thought I was going to hurt either tribe, until I did and the wolves died..... See I don't get how this fit into the game. I like things to make sense. Why did I have to do this in order to advance in the game. It did not make sense. I am some peaceful person (playing in the game I mean) so why am I helping to contribute to a tribes loss???

That makes no sense to me. Maybe someone can explain it to me, but this game made no sense. Gorgeous graphics, but I do not like playing devil's advocate. Or less, hurting others in order to advance. I don't mind catching the bad guy, but I dont' like being one. I don't care what those tribes damage was....why did I have to contribute to hate?

Please game designer's....this was not a nice way to play....

[Post New]by lira_lindriel on Mar 23, 13 8:47 AM
I came here right now, hoping that it was just silly me who saw no positive third choice and getting a good option instead of killing of a race. Even if it's only a game, games and books and films do influence end up influencing how we deal with real life. I just wanted to add my two cents: It also gives me a very bad taste in the mouth having to choose who to kill even in a game. :/

[Post New]by sheilamilo on Mar 26, 13 11:51 AM
Dang - I wish I had read this before getting the game. Not a position I wished to be put in.

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Mar 26, 13 6:18 PM
I agree, there should have been a way to save both tribes. Designers, shame on you.
Just out of curiosity, did anyone else wonder how one tribe had both eggs when they were described as a tribal artifact?

dd1406tt
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by dd1406tt on Apr 12, 13 4:56 PM
Did I miss something here? I chose the wolf clan and therefore saw the poisoned horses but I thought I saw the horse clan moving away. I don't like killing animals but at least I didn't see the people killed. And yes I agree with the rest of you there could have been a much better ending.
Edited to add: I did not have the c.e. so perhaps more killing takes place in the bonus game.

Edited on 04/14/2013 at 11:48:16 AM PST

[Post New]by jennyael on May 27, 13 10:10 AM
I had found a parchment in the bottom of the Skybird statue that when I clicked on it the dialogue said was a way to aid both clans, but it wouldn't give me the details. Seems like a programmers mistake/cliche. So sad that they didn't catch this before releasing the game. Can only hope they don't make this mistake in the future.

hollyodie
Starfish
Starfish
58 Posts

[Post New]by hollyodie on Sep 1, 13 9:10 PM
I've played it twice now and probably won't play a third time. I have loved all the games by this developer but this one has left me feeling "down" both times I've played. While I understand that it's just a game, I prefer to end a game with at least some satisfaction and enjoyment from playing. This won't keep me from buying other games by BTG but, as mentioned earlier, I'll probably be reading the forum more closely before making any buying decisions.

[Post New]by kcasey503 on Oct 4, 13 8:51 PM
I looked for a third option, refusing to believe that we would have to really make a choice like that. After an hour's vain search (I use hints only in dire emergencies), I gave up. Since the wolf people had a copy of the old treaty hanging up, I thought helping them was the right option, and was instead treated to the sight of lots of horses lying dead. I tried telling myself "they're just asleep," but it didn't work.

I too thought the parchment in the statue compartment would be the real solution, but I just couldn't make it out. I wish it really had been the third option. What was even the point of letting us "discover" it, then?

Maybe we were supposed to think "too bad about the dead horses/wolves..But hey, I got the last two eggs, didn't I? Wah hoo!! " Nope. I haven't continued with the game yet, because it just feels too weird. I'd like to hear BTG explain why they decided to do things this way.

Edited on 10/04/2013 at 8:55:03 PM PST

[Post New]by DarkFire613 on Oct 29, 13 6:38 AM
Actually if you choose to help the Wolf Tribe by poisoning the water you don't actually kill any horses you just make them sick which drives that Tribe away. If you choose to aid the Horse Tribe you're helping them make better silver weapons that will be used to kill off the wolves. The Leader of the Horse Tribe is rude, arrogant, and sounds like she's gleeful when you show her the scroll that the Spirit Totem gives you, not to mention her guard is lazy and sounds stupid, the Leader of the Wolf Tribe however was polite to you and is saddened by the Horse Tribe moving onto the land that the Wolf Tribe was probably formed on and he also sounds hurt that the Horse Tribe would think that the Wolf Tribe would be stupid and dishonorable enough to start a war. Personally I usually choose the Wolf Tribe because the land is rightfully theirs, they settled there first and the like I said the Leader is nicer to you.

[Post New]by merlinmerry on Nov 14, 13 2:49 PM
Although I love horses, I ended up choosing the Wolf Tribe - because my Alaskan Malamute was staring at me!

Go to: