bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Hallowed Legends: Ship of Bones Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Feb 21, 13 12:36 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Hallowed Legends: Ship of Bones Collector's Edition ? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Hallowed Legends: Ship of Bones Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Hallowed Legends: Ship of Bones Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Feb 21, 13 12:36 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Feb 21, 13 1:36 AM
Morning, all...

This game, by Elephant Games, has 8 chapters, plus the Bonus chapter.

There are 3 gameplay modes: Casual, Advanced, Hardcore.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

There is widescreen.

There is voice-over.

There are live actors.

Your Map is at the left. Actions are needed in the picture that is not in black and white but in colour.

The Menu button is just below the Map.

Your Hint button, which tells you exactly what to do next when used outside of the HOS (hidden object scenes), is at the right. It takes about 35 seconds to refill in Casual mode, inside and out of the HOS, which are partly interactive.

Just below the Hint button is your SG (strategy guide). It stays open where you last left it open.

Apart from the Hint button, you can also use the Exclamation Mark that is just left of the SG. When clicked, it will tell you the very next move you should take.

Puzzles can be skipped. The SKIP button takes about 30 seconds to fill in Casual mode.

You can lock or unlock the Inventory. The lock is just right of the Menu button. When locked, the Inventory stays open. When unlocked, it moves down until needed.

--- --- ---

The graphics are clear and clean, but I can't honestly say that I was thrown off my chair with excitement when I played the demo. I think it's because it all looks so familar and, as with many other games, I keep going into the same type of HOS to find the same objects. That's why I welcome new types of HOS, the way ERS has done them lately, for example.
But that's just how I feel about it. I am sure a lot of gamers will love this game. I will wait for the SE to come out.

Spoiler Alert?? Don't look now! And if you do, do it at your own peril.

There are 22 Goblins to be found - who knows why they have to be goblins - and there are Achievements. You can find all the Goblin locations in the SG.

For a change, you will get a raven that will help you from time to time.

End of Spoiler Alert

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Feb 21, 13 1:36 AM
A very spooky story is being played out here in this excellent offering from Elephant Games.

The graphics and art are beautifully done, as with all Elephant games, both in and out of the HOS (which are cleverly interactive). The puzzles are crafty and well presented, and there are a couple I have not seen before. And, it being an Elephant game, there is, of course, a widescreen presentation.

There are quite a few very nice special effects. (which can be turned off to improve game performance if your computer so requires)

The voiceovers are good, there is an interactive map, and the music is game appropriate.

The CE package has all the usual----plus there are achievements to aspire to as well as goblins to collect.

The story is nicely presented, the game is fun to play, and it's a buy for me.

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

[Post New]by shorenuf on Feb 21, 13 1:50 AM
• A very curious if gruesome, morbid, spooky story -- I can see how one could get caught up in it, especially after meeting your helpful storyteller.

• Almost everything we've come to expect from Elephant Games --3 modes: casual, advanced (no sparkles), hardcore (no hints, skips or sparkles), Widescreen, voice acting, live actors in cut scenes, appropriate music, quite clear graphics, collectibles, achievements, quick transport map.

• HO scenes have interactive component, but are self contained.

– There are no morphing objects.

• Strategy Guide follows Eight chapters plus the Bonus Chapter and lists collectible locations.

• Can't judge bonus play, but extras are otherwise sparse -- music, concept art, wallpapers.

• Achievements are hidden, but the ones I earned are typical.

• My biggest complaint is the same one I had for Chimeras, and even more outrageous here -- black bar info lays out practically every task requirement, to the point of being annoying. I only played for 25 minutes, I have several inventory items, several tasks laid out I cannot yet accomplish, I have seen one HO scene and one very, very easy puzzle.

These Hallowed games usually offer several hours of activity, puzzles can be involved and tricky, the story is often involving. So far I can't vouch for that with this one.

At this point, t can wait for another BOGO sale.

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Feb 21, 13 2:22 AM
Sorry, but it's not the little Dumbo sort of game I adored.

1) Thanks to Valdy, I know now that there are goblins - how did you find that? I clicked twice on unknown objects, which disappeared immediately, and I was announced that I found a morphing object. I left it, because I really didn't know what to search.

2) The screens were zoomed back (may be to make more space), but my eyes hurt to click on such mini-tiny objects around, especially in the HOS, in which I found (with hint of course) several objects blended in the background (black on black and dark).

3) The map lack the ! sign (actions to complete), although in the map appears one in the instruction). That forces me to lurk around, unless I use the hint (thanks god it's still excellent help).

4) May be the graphics are good, but it lacks the "wow" factor, which appeared in their recent games.

Positive change: in the first HOS I saw the title "skip" - but didn't find it on the forecoming HOS's. Pity, because it will be accepted gladly by the Adventurers, and the "too many HOS" complaint will stop. (yay!).

No buy for me.

gentlegirl
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by gentlegirl on Feb 21, 13 2:41 AM
Hi!

Elephant games has beautiful graphics and this game is no exception. The game was good but the real characters is not good here in my opinion. No buy for me but good gaming for everyone who likes it

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Feb 21, 13 2:42 AM
Played 35 minutes, casual

- Elephant Games

- Integrated SG which shows 8 chapters + bonus play

- Bonus contents are wallpapers, concept art, music, screensaver

- 3 modes, casual, advanced, hardcore

- No notebook

- Interactive map, areas of interest are in color

- At the beginning of the game, you get a crow, Hamlet, that will help you through the game and tell you the story of the city as the game goes on

- Throughout the game you'll have to find 22 goblins, they're not easy to spot

- You get achievements, regular ones, i.e H0 with no hint, no skip in mini games, etc

- Live characters

- Voice overs

- H0, you interact, I found them very dark but couldn't adjust the light. Some objects combine themselves in the inventory, you don't have to do it.

- Hint button useful outside H0, tells you what you have to do

- Usual mini games, nothing new up to what I played

Your plane crashes in a strange town, people there are living skeletons, a strange lady in white having stolen their souls. Up to you to solve the problem. I'm not too sure about this game, liked it but it didn't make me perform a little happy dance. Had fun in clicking on the ghosts, they scream in such a funny way, is that enough to buy a game ?

Edited on 02/21/2013 at 2:43:49 AM PST

Nilosh
Clownfish
Clownfish
590 Posts

[Post New]by Nilosh on Feb 21, 13 2:48 AM
One of my favorite games for 2012 was Hallowed legends: The Templars. That was a great game but unfortunately, this one just did not meet my expectations. Although it does offer exceptional graphics and great sound effects along with collectables and game achievements, there is something lacking in the gameplay. It wasn't very challenging and the storyline was just so familiar. How may times have we seen souless dead people roaming the streets? Definitely lacking the WOW effect but nevertheless, for those who haven't played the Templar, taking advantage of the bundle sale may be a way to go. I am still on the fence about this one but as I do have a club credit, I may just use it to purchase this game.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Feb 21, 13 5:59 AM
Even if the devs name had been taken out you would still know that this is an Elephant game. I wonder if they are turning out these games so quickly now that they are becoming a bit 'samey'? 3 out of the last 4 games installed on my GM are by Elephant and to be honest the gameplay is becoming a bit predictable.

Whilst the graphics as always are lovely and the puzzles interesting, I found myself getting a bit bored with the demo. It did seem as though it would get better when I got into the museum but of course the demo ended there. I can't afford to buy it but I don't think I would anyway. I will wait for the SE.

I hope Elephant aren't going down the same path as ERS; quality is always a better choice than quantity as far as I'm concerned. That's why I love Blue Tea games; you might wait a long time for them but they are always worth waiting for. This latest game from Elephant just isn't anything special.

KIW0612
Herring
Herring
376 Posts

[Post New]by KIW0612 on Feb 21, 13 6:11 AM

Edited on 02/21/2013 at 10:46:43 AM PST

oldbag60
Lobster
Lobster
92 Posts

[Post New]by oldbag60 on Feb 21, 13 6:21 AM
I agree with Angelfish. Much as I like Elephant games, they are becoming very predictable. It's all very well to stick with what sells well but it's time for a change before we all get veeerrryyy bored.

bradalex
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by bradalex on Feb 21, 13 6:31 AM

Edited on 02/21/2013 at 10:46:34 AM PST

Joyfullady
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,498 Posts

[Post New]by Joyfullady on Feb 21, 13 6:44 AM
Valdy and Poutoule have really said it all quite efficiently! Thank you!

Based only on trial, I'll wait for sale of SE. Agree about the wow factor - just not there compared to Otherworld game. The Music, Art concept, wallpapers are useless except when playing game to immerse one's self since nothing is released until after you've played the bonus - useless.

Loved the Historian Raven with the glasses. Funny comments when asked to help. Spooky atmosphere is broken up with skeletons and remarks. Some IHOS had small items others overly large. The 22 goblins you collect are difficult to find at times. I played the whole trial and found 8 goblins - but no morphing items. Some one else said they found one. Lots of frogs. Elephant games have great graphics and this is no exception.

So far no occult items or interactions - thank you.

Tundei
Clownfish
Clownfish
653 Posts

[Post New]by Tundei on Feb 21, 13 7:13 AM
angelfish106 wrote:Even if the devs name had been taken out you would still know that this is an Elephant game. I wonder if they are turning out these games so quickly now that they are becoming a bit 'samey'? 3 out of the last 4 games installed on my GM are by Elephant and to be honest the gameplay is becoming a bit predictable.

Whilst the graphics as always are lovely and the puzzles interesting, I found myself getting a bit bored with the demo. It did seem as though it would get better when I got into the museum but of course the demo ended there. I can't afford to buy it but I don't think I would anyway. I will wait for the SE.

I hope Elephant aren't going down the same path as ERS; quality is always a better choice than quantity as far as I'm concerned. That's why I love Blue Tea games; you might wait a long time for them but they are always worth waiting for. This latest game from Elephant just isn't anything special.

Agree, and what's the point having 3 play modes in a game and still spelling out everything needs to be done in the hardest mode? I loved Elephant games for their tricky puzzles but those days are gone too. Their games become predictable and simple. /Still love their graphics though/

DeAnna2112
Clownfish
Clownfish
675 Posts

[Post New]by DeAnna2112 on Feb 21, 13 9:22 AM
I don't know...if i have to hear one more distracting beep and have one more prompting box pop up in the middle of the game to alert me that i got an achievement or found a collectible i might just scream...and this game has it going on bad
I purposely try to avoid clicking on those things so i don't have to deal with it..but it's just becoming an aggravation given it's soo disruptive when playing the game. Does this stuff have to pop up on my game screen because it's a major game killer for me. I thought the story was looking pretty cool and the graphics as usual pretty darn awesome, but given it has a map i was alittle hesistant going into the demo because most games with maps lack badly here lately for those who don't use maps and want lots of places to explore on their own...but whether or not that was gonna be an issue was soon no longer the concern because i quickly became turned off by the beeping boxes on my game screen every time i turned around. I almost went ahead and bought it until i realized by the end of the demo this was going to be nothing but an ongoing aggravation
Elephant, i love your games but between the maps, especially the jumping ones that dumb down the game play to nothing but clicking... and now all these boxes popping up during the game and beeping .... i just have to be honest on how it's effecting my personal experience with your games lately

my two cents...

barbaralbb
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by barbaralbb on Feb 21, 13 9:27 AM

Edited on 02/21/2013 at 10:46:24 AM PST

bfgIzara
Flounder
Flounder
2,151 Posts

[Post New]by bfgIzara on Feb 21, 13 10:41 AM
Hey there Fishies,

Just wanted to drop by with a quick reminder about posting in the reviews thread:

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

I'll be going though and making some edits to help keep this thread for reviews only, but please don't hesitate to contact me or any of the other Mods if you have questions!

Thanks,

bfgIzara

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Feb 21, 13 1:00 PM
Another good but not great game from the Pachyderm. I liked the last Hallowed legend game better than this one. I agree that they are becoming a little predictable. That said, I like this one much better than Sunday's offering. That game by a rather weird dev was just bizarre! I imagine it is difficult coming up with new games with fresh new ideas so quickly. Many of the devs on this site are providing two to three games per month, if not more. So, I imagine that they run out of ideas. A rather ho hum game so I will probably wait until it is an SE. Just a matter of the same old, same old. Time for a strategy meeting guys to come up with fresh ideas and innovative gaming.

Edited on 02/21/2013 at 1:02:11 PM PST

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Feb 21, 13 1:55 PM
I don't really like this game, it's not the worst but thought the Hog's were hard to see and had to change the cursor as it kept jumping around so had to put the regular one on. Too many things that are added and don't make much sence to me. Usually like this developer but not this time. I know I won't buy the CE but might get the SE. Give this 2 out of 5 stars..

Go to: