NIMHURCHU
Clownfish
Clownfish
744 Posts

DD Feb 26 2013

[Post New]by NIMHURCHU on Feb 25, 13 9:32 AM
Cleo, where are you? I've been lurking around the pond for hours looking for your DD discussion. I hope that all is well with you.

Well, to the DD. When I first saw only 3 stars on the opening page, I almost did not download. However, I still had 2 punches to fill, so I gave it a try. I am so glad that I did! This was a pleasant surprise and well worth the $2.99, for me.

There are 2 modes of play: regular and expert. The hint does not work outside of HOS in expert mode, and it appears that there is no skip button in expert mode.

(After completing the game in regular mode, I played one chapter in expert mode. When I came upon the first puzzle, I thought that I was still missing pieces, or that there was a glitch in the game, as there was no skip button triggered when I put all the pieces on the "board". Nope, I had everything there, but no skip. Personally, I will not be finishing in expert mode any time soon, as there was a puzzle that I just could not get the timing correct, and had to skip. )

There are no voiceovers.

There are 4 chapters that are self-contained. Once you complete a chapter, you move on to the next, with it's own "mini story".

There is no map, but is unnecessary, as you will trek between limited areas. There are no long, meandering paths. There is no going back to the very first scene that you came upon.

HOS: There are approximately 16 "find items on a list" HOS. They are not interactive. Graphics are beautiful and clear..even in junk pile. HInts recharge in about 1 min in regular and expert mode. (even though it is noted in the game that hints recharge slower in expert mode. I timed it several times and still came up with 1 min and 2, 3, or 4 seconds in expert mode.)

Puzzles: There are approximately 12 puzzles. They can be skipped in 1 min 30 secs in regular mode. Based on chapter 1, there is no skip in expert mode.

Note: For those with phobias, there is a mouse (adorable, I thought...like the one from the Disney "Ratatouille") that you must "dispose" of, and a spider (eeww ), even though cutely drawn. (It still gave me the "creepy crawlies").

Overall, this was a delightful surprise. So much more fun than I expected. There is a lot of interaction throughout the game. I was concerned that there would be too much hand holding, but after the initial "helpful' comments, I found that the game was pleasantly challenging. Do give it a try. You may like it.

MEnr56
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,984 Posts

Re:DD Feb 26 2013

[Post New]by MEnr56 on Feb 26, 13 11:59 AM

I found this game to be unnecessarily tedius for the following reasons:

*cursor does NOT change to inform you to an item to be picked up when you land on it

*have to see a green dot on cursor before you can utilize a tool

*have to find OTHER objects NOT pertaining to your task at hand BEFORE you can do the task at hand

*ignorant uses of some of the tools -- fire extinguisher on an armadillo? P-LEEEEASE

*As hint button color is ALMOST as dark as the scene, it’s pretty useless for items that are close to any of the 4 corners of the screen:
5 is 5 scratches in upper left-hand corner, 9 is on post above hint button and clover is almost completely covered by the hint button

*if you temporarily get out of the game to look at the walkthrough, upon returning the screen is black for 30 seconds

*Puzzles provide no indication of correct placement of tiles

*no color change of objects in list that are “hidden” -- truck

*odd naming of needed objects -- accumulator is an engine battery, stirring stick is a honey dipper, and darts is a dartboard and last but not least

*the walkthrough is NOT complete; 2nd necklace?? Check the squirrels’ room

MEnr56

Go to: