bluecat434
Clownfish
Clownfish
858 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Nightmare Adventures: The Witch's Prison

[Post New]by bluecat434 on Dec 9, 10 10:41 PM
Robwood wrote:This game was a big surprise to me. Having played the Mystery Case Files series, the Mystery Legends series, and the Nightfall Mysteries series, I thought that all the computer games Big Fish had were hidden object games. So naturally, I was quite stunned to see that this game centered solely around figuring out puzzles, which is a great breath of fresh air!

Like many here, there were some aspects of the game I didn't like at all: the story getting lost in the puzzle solving (Great! Now I have to play it again just to see what was going on!), some of the puzzle hints not being specific enough so I wound up skipping the puzzle because I couldn't figure it out (like the puzzle box in the lab), or some of the puzzles were simple enough to figure out, but too tedious to do (like the coffin door puzzle).

Over all, however, I found that most of the tension I got from the game was the good kind--trying to find a missing inventory item so I could progress to the next stage. I can't say much about the story right now, especially since doing all of those puzzles have made me forget a lot of it (Why was that cult trying to free the witch again? And why was that government agency returning to a site that they had abandoned? And what the devil was up with that ending?) so I'm going to say for right now that the story line is OK, mainly because I don't remember questioning any of the logic in it.

To those who said that the puzzles were too easy: what is your IQ and how can I get it? Mine's a reasonable 132 and I STILL had trouble with this game!

i'm sorry. i just had to quote this and cheer.

5dogKnight
Starfish
Starfish
59 Posts

[Post New]by 5dogKnight on Dec 15, 10 7:50 AM
Having done with game.... I really only have one topic to comment on. The PUZZLES !! Wow .... Some were 2 Callenging for me... I really enjoyed all of them. Where do the developers get all this stuff from ! Man! Looks like alot of work to me. Anyway, Cheers and thank for the entertainment.

care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

[Post New]by care___916 on Dec 25, 10 4:16 AM
Could be a SPOILER.

I finally sat down to play this game I could not even remember the demo. Loved the graphics and storyline. I think the graphics were some of the best yet.

Of all the mystery and spooky games I have this one really scared me lol.... I wasnt sure if I wanted to see the end.

My heart is still beating fast...

Have a good game day

[Post New]by treecat on Dec 27, 10 8:23 PM
Can anyone tell me if I'm doing something wrong. I captured a firefly in one jar and placed it in the frog but can't catch a firefly in the second jar. Is there a step I'm missing?

[Post New]by nyghtflyer on Dec 30, 10 12:36 AM
Great game, beautiful graphics, rich story. Never thought I can have so much fun with a puzzle game but here it is.

Voice_Mail
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by Voice_Mail on Dec 30, 10 6:29 PM
Just finished this one. Quite enjoyed it and can't wait for the sequel (the ending hints at a sequel, right? : D). Played this after playing Drawn, and was glad to find a similar type of game. I really like this style of adventure game with relevant puzzles thoughout.

I'm normally a hardcore gamer but love playing these casual adventure/puzzle games in my downtime before I go to sleep.

This game had a great atmosphere and really creeped me out. Thumbs up from me, would definitely recommend.

SFWhite
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by SFWhite on Jan 4, 11 8:53 AM
This is one of the best games I've played in quite a while, lots of interesting puzzles wrapped inside a truly creepy storyline! Really fun! So, if "Number 13" works for A.R.C.A.N.E. now, I hope we'll be in on her next creepy adventure... I know I'll keep a lookout for it. lol

silverink
Minnow
Minnow
200 Posts

[Post New]by silverink on Jan 14, 11 4:58 AM
This was a very entertaining game! It kept you moving and thinking a bit. The puzzles were interesting and a little different from the usual ones, which made the game a lot of fun and added some challenge. I really enjoyed the creepy story and adventure elements and felt everything was very well paced. I loved some of the funny comments too.

The graphics were good, but not as high quality as some other current games. I thought the navigation was a little irritating and touchy and I hope that is improved for the sequel, which I definitely look forward to.

Overall, an excellent game - I would love to see more games like this one!

mcurty
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,991 Posts

[Post New]by mcurty on Jan 14, 11 7:24 AM
Robwood wrote:This game was a big surprise to me. Having played the Mystery Case Files series, the Mystery Legends series, and the Nightfall Mysteries series, I thought that all the computer games Big Fish had were hidden object games. So naturally, I was quite stunned to see that this game centered solely around figuring out puzzles, which is a great breath of fresh air!

Like many here, there were some aspects of the game I didn't like at all: the story getting lost in the puzzle solving (Great! Now I have to play it again just to see what was going on!), some of the puzzle hints not being specific enough so I wound up skipping the puzzle because I couldn't figure it out (like the puzzle box in the lab), or some of the puzzles were simple enough to figure out, but too tedious to do (like the coffin door puzzle).

Over all, however, I found that most of the tension I got from the game was the good kind--trying to find a missing inventory item so I could progress to the next stage. I can't say much about the story right now, especially since doing all of those puzzles have made me forget a lot of it (Why was that cult trying to free the witch again? And why was that government agency returning to a site that they had abandoned? And what the devil was up with that ending?) so I'm going to say for right now that the story line is OK, mainly because I don't remember questioning any of the logic in it.

To those who said that the puzzles were too easy: what is your IQ and how can I get it? Mine's a reasonable 132 and I STILL had trouble with this game!

I couldn't have said it better myself. Thanks, Robwood

Shastanna
Lobster
Lobster
97 Posts

[Post New]by Shastanna on Jan 14, 11 2:38 PM
I love this game. Definitely one of my favorites that I've bought from BFG. Graphics are great, the game is spooky and not too easy!

Loved it!

Happy gaming!

dollyflower
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,373 Posts

[Post New]by dollyflower on Jan 15, 11 10:33 AM
Still has problems even after rebuild..!!!

[Post New]by MeauxJeaux on Jan 23, 11 9:23 PM
okay, i am hooked, played the demo, and wow! had to buy the full game. Loving it!

update a few hours later.. it was AWESOME.
esp creepy when played in a empty house at 1 in the morning! The end seems like a set up for a sequel. if so, . bring it on! Really looking forward another one, so I can see where the story takes us. Fun stuff!

Edited on 01/24/2011 at 12:49:01 AM PST

8dognight
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by 8dognight on Jan 31, 11 4:49 AM
Top notch casual game: great graphics, puzzles, exploration. Trying to use objects, notably the red rag, in the wrong places produced amusing comments. The story held up with almost no voice over, and the limitation of voice over to ominous remarks from the witch worked well.

This is a wonderful game that I missed when it was released, and I am looking forward to a sequel. The great thing about game sequels is that they are usually even better than the original.

I wind up playing some IHOGs because I can't find more games like this one. The HOG parody screen in Witch's Prison made me laugh. Searching for objects is dull. Witch's Prison is a step toward more adventure lite gaming of a high standard that is reasonable to buy and short enough to download handily.

yelwbkrd35
Starfish
Starfish
47 Posts

[Post New]by yelwbkrd35 on Feb 2, 11 4:53 PM
Oh YEAH!! Great game allot of fun. the humor and all the mini games were just my speed. Had to work at them but didn't pull my hair out. This is adventure game at it's best! you rule Big Fish!

Quite a few mostly blank screens - help!

[Post New]by jaxxxx on Feb 4, 11 9:55 PM
I've been having trouble with this game as about 1/3 of the screens show on my computer as mostly blank - shades of gray and white background lines with a few items to pick up perhaps. You can move around the screen randomly and wait for the arrow to turn into an eye or hand to interact. I've been trying to do this, but very awkward. The walk-through shows all screens as being visible scenes where you can see where you might click.

So do you all see all scenes or some mostly blank screens? Any solution if you see all scenes?

mcurty
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,991 Posts

[Post New]by mcurty on Feb 4, 11 10:27 PM
Hi jaxxxx,
It sounds like something is not right with your game. My screens were all complete and very clear -- of course some are dark because of the environment, but still things are visible. You might try turning off the custom cursor if that is an option. Sometimes that helps people, but in this game it is important because it changes.

You might try using the Help on the far upper right of the screen and go to the section on screen resolution -- something like that. There may be suggestions there to help you. Otherwise Customer Service may help you out by using the to the right. Or Live Chat tomorrow if you are a member.

This is a great game, but you need to be able to see the whole screen.
m

teenna
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by teenna on Feb 14, 11 12:08 PM
I played the trial 1 hr then I purchased the the game. It is great fun and fully got into the story, but I thought it was a bit short. I purchased the game about 3 to 4hrs ago and finished alreadyand I stopped for lunch. Felt like I was just getting into it and finished already. Otherwise, the game was fun. Thanks

Edited on 02/14/2011 at 12:09:47 PM PST

mtgirl
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,151 Posts

[Post New]by mtgirl on Feb 16, 11 7:23 AM
Another favorite.I really enjoyed this game.(no tech problems for me)

maggieevans
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

[Post New]by maggieevans on Feb 25, 11 12:30 PM
Just finished Witch’s Prison – an excellent game. It’s full of puzzle challenges that range from easy to difficult and a lot in between, plus a few good hints when needed. The story is fun and the comments are amusing enough that I wanted to click on everything just to see what the game would say – even those times I knew it was the wrong move. It’s funny how they anticipated things a player might do no matter how unlikely. Anyway, I’m never sure how much I’m going to enjoy a puzzle/adventure game where there are no “formal” hidden object scenes, but having made it to the end, I can attest that the journey was quite satisfying after all. I also liked the way the game used photos to telegraph many of the directions/instructions. This is a cohesive game with lots of interesting tasks, a spooky story, and a good dose of humor.

[Post New]by dexela on Mar 23, 11 12:53 AM
Ok, I play a lot of these games too and this one was definitely at the top of the list! I too, loved the humor, dark but not evil scary atmosphere, graphics, puzzles galore. I thought that some that were too easy with too many hints while the last 8 or so really made me think! Reminded me of Return to Ravenhearst a bit - (one of my all-time faves) and II really liked the story too, which I will often skip if it is too corny or long - not this time though! I definitely recommend this one - happy gaming! Kept me entertained for hours

Go to: