LeBoof
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystert of Mortlake Mansion

[Post New]by LeBoof on Jan 23, 11 9:47 PM
CasualGran wrote:Wrote this after buying and playing this on the devs site last month:

This is fantastic new Inventory Hidden Object Game from Playrix! I love every minute of it! First of all it opens with an appetizing litlle trailer. Then you have 2 choices. Playing standard, which is the relaxed mode with indicated hotspots, or 'high difficulty'. I played the relaxed mode, so can't tell you much about the more challenging gameplay, but this game is so entertaining that I'm sure I'll play it again in the 'high difficulty' mode.

The other choice you can make is having the character you play talk with a male or a female voice, which I think is the first time I see this thoughtfull possiblility in a game. KUDOS to the devs!!!
The graphics are superb. Handdrawn and crisp, a pleasure to look at. HOG scenes are the junkpile style, but objects aren't difficult to find, I've discovered no small or too well hidden stuff. Another good thing is that the objects fit the timeperiod, no annoying modern things thrown in. Hints are unlimited and the button refills really fast.

The story is intriguing from the start, and the music is so atmospheric and varied that I didn't feel the usual need to mute it. The gameplay is keeping you attentive, it's like looking at a thrilling, spooky movie. You'll have minigames and puzzles to do to make progress, and they're all skippable. The handholding is minimum, which I found great.

This game makes your brain work and is a nice change compared to the easy going majority of HOGs. One of the minigames makes the crow in this story talk. He'll get you started and will continue to appear now and then.
Very convenient is the map of the house that you can use to move to another room. Running around not needed here! You've got a journal too, so no problem to stop playing for a while. You can always catch up easily. Finally, making this game the perfect IHOG of the year IMO, is the length. Hours and hours of gamepleasure, so definitely worth the money! Try the demo at least and if you decide to buy: happy gaming!

5 out of 5

Although I have barely just begun this game....DITTO what CasualGran said. She is right on the money with this one. I was maybe 10-15 mins into the demo and KNEW it was a keeper. I'm soooo glad I bought it. But then again, it's by Playrix. They are top notch, A+++. Need I say more?

Love Love Love this game!!!

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery of Mortlake Mansion

[Post New]by MeauxJeaux on Jan 25, 11 5:05 PM
Wow.. tons of good reviews, I am downloading the demo now.. but I will probably end up buying it.. LOL

I love to see games with so many happy people leaving comments!

okay.. .about an hour in, (bought it! knew I would) and am loving it!

I like the animation style, and the fact the hint button refills sooo quickly! I am playing on the ez mode, cuz I am just not that great at these games, but so far so good!

I can't wait to find out what happens!

Edited on 01/25/2011 at 8:00:21 PM PST

kelsie2
Guppy
Guppy
171 Posts

[Post New]by kelsie2 on Jan 26, 11 10:28 AM
just finished ... wow enjoyed that game it was just that little bit different !
great graphics, and story .... curser was a bit slow and shaky....i thought once or twice that the game had crashed but it struggled on and we made to the end !!!
not happy about cursor disappearing at the intro ...or my real name as a player...but i am being picky thanks again big fish for filling in the hours while i am nursing a broken wrist !!!!
hence no capitals

susan3285
Seahorse
Seahorse
27 Posts

[Post New]by susan3285 on Jan 27, 11 7:02 AM
Mac users are still having problems with the screen going blank while the game is loading. We have posted on the tech site and tried all the suggestions but then there is no further response so I decided to ask the question here. Is anyone working on the defects in the mac version?

Kyasarin
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by Kyasarin on Jan 29, 11 5:24 PM
Really enjoyed this one! The gameplay was fun and challenging, and the game made it easy to play--I loved being able to jump between locations via the map. I also liked the art style, and the soundtrack wasn't intrusive. The only thing that could've improved it, IMHO, would be if you could turn off the voiceovers. But then, that's my gripe with most games! I consider this one well worth the price.

GrammaKj
Clownfish
Clownfish
541 Posts

[Post New]by GrammaKj on Feb 2, 11 6:54 PM
I just spent a couple of days working on this game and I didn't want it to end. There is a blizzard outside but this game warmed things up! I put it in my top 5 and that includes all the ERS games I love. If I had one complaint, it was the original loading time for the game to start and I didn't have cursor problems until the very last puzzle. It wouldn't move fast enough, and it would drag and stutter. Other than that, it's the first game I haven't had to use a guide or walkthrough.

I absolutely love the fact that you can go right to the room on the map and don't have to search or backtrack forever to get from room to room. The puzzles were great, the hint system charged quickly and the graphics were outstanding.

I give this a perfect 5 's and definitely 2 's up!

viteacher
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by viteacher on Feb 3, 11 11:43 AM
I love the game. Especially the shadowy rooms. Just spooky enough. I have to get some hints but not many. I had to stop myself to get some sleep. I did not want to stop playing. The game pauses for a few seconds when it goes through the portal but seems to work ok.
Is there another one like this one?
VI teacher

[Post New]by carolinachick220 on Feb 4, 11 6:36 PM
After reading all of the positive comments about this game, I downloaded the trial. I am VERY disappointed. I found myself wishing the trial would end, and thought about just trashing it before the hour ran out, but I was bored so I kept playing hoping something would change my opinion (the Mac trial version lasted for over 2 hours BTW). I finally just quit.

The graphics are not fit for a hidden object game - they look like someone used a paint-by-number set. The voices are extremely irritating, and they are constant throughout the game.

I found myself not even caring enough to use a walkthrough whenever I got stuck and I did get stuck because at times I just couldn't figure out what I needed to do, where to go, etc.

I would give this one 1 out of 5. I really hate to say that because I really value all of the fishies' comments and use them as a guide as to what to try, etc. This one just ain't my cup of tea.

ms_mamiller
Squid
Squid
66 Posts

[Post New]by ms_mamiller on Feb 11, 11 11:24 AM
This is 1 of 4 games I just got! The reason I chose this one was all about the graphics and the overall atmosphere and feel of the game. I will let everyone know my honest opinion once I actually get to it and beat it...

ms_mamiller
Squid
Squid
66 Posts

[Post New]by ms_mamiller on Feb 11, 11 9:53 PM
I am three keys in (green, pink, blue) and I just have to say this game is one of the best! I have a feeling... when it is all over... it will be my number 1! This game is very addictive, because it is just so much fun to play!

The graphics are different, cell shading, they take some getting use to but you will soon fall in love (it adds to the HOG challenge). The dark gothic, dull, metalic tones makes for an interesting atmosphere, especially when there is a bright shimmering item.

The storyline keeps your attention, although a flat ending could ruin it (I have my fingers crossed that this doesn't happen like so many games) I am expecting... hoping for the best (do not post any spoilers please).

The characters are really great so far... R is kind of funny, weird, almost a cliche clumsy villian, the crow is at times obnoxious and demanding... which makes him a welcome addition, the old guy... well I feel sorry for him, you really want to help him out, save him... he has such lovable appeal! The voice acting is excellent!

The music is great, I leave it on and find myself really getting into it. It is subtle... yet a perfect fit for the overall environment and feel of the game.

The puzzles... well although they are not overly challenging... I like them. The weird quirks... some would say typos, technical errors, or lost in translations are actually fun (laugh)... I enjoy trying to figure out what some of the items are. The cell shaded images add to the challenge of HOGs because the artist can blend it into the objects, scene, background... but it isn't "hard." I thought using the items, finding stuff, moving from room to room, trying to figure out what to do next was a challenge... but I enjoy it, it doesn't seem tedious or frustrating at all.

I got this game for a credit, what a bargain... however it is definitly worth the 6.99 club price, so I would recommend it to any thrifty fishy!

Overall this game seems to have it all and I hope that the designer makes more just like it. I know it will not be for everyone, every fishy has their favorite flakes (fishy food) but I don't think anyone who buys this game will regret it or feel like it isn't worth the money... in fact who knows... maybe you too will love it! This game is definitly under rated in my opinion!

SUPER STAR

BARGAIN !!!!!

FISHY FAVE #1 BIG CATCH!

Edited on 02/11/2011 at 10:02:35 PM PST

IYBAKH
Minnow
Minnow
226 Posts

[Post New]by IYBAKH on Feb 27, 11 12:44 PM
It was a fantastic game; intriguing story; great special effects; very interactive; very useful components that made the game suspenseful, enjoyable, and a definite consideration for replay. The developers certainly had the game players in mind. For example, there were unlimited hints; very fast recharge of hints; map; choice of male or female voices; and two different modes of play. The "good side" and the "dark side" of the story were creatively exhibited and it was easy to move from one place to another. Also, it indicated if there were tasks to complete in each area. This made the game move smoothly and didn't waste unnecessary time (nor wear out anyone's sneakers!) There were a number of minigames that had a connection to the main story line. Fine, fine job!!

KitSeason
Lobster
Lobster
93 Posts

[Post New]by KitSeason on Mar 11, 11 1:33 PM
Just started the demo and after reading the first few reviews have decided this will definitely be a buy for me. I was already intrigued by the narrator and the hand drawn hidden object scenes. Very well done graphically - a little different than the more realistically made scenes in other hidden object games. I'm one who enjoys most music I hear on games, so won't add any to what's been said. I may come back after I've had more play time, but wanted to add my two cents because this game is slightly different than the other typical HOGs. And it's a difference I like very much.

Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery of Mortlake Mansion

[Post New]by sharonklaus8567 on Mar 11, 11 9:22 PM
One word...AWESOME ! Cool graphics and the storyline was great ! I loved getting the keys and watching the "trashed" rooms get fixed up. Then going to the rooms through the portholes. The map was easy to read and understand, as well !

+

Sharon

Tikatoy
Minnow
Minnow
269 Posts

[Post New]by Tikatoy on Mar 12, 11 3:07 PM
I really liked the cel-shaded graphics, and thought the use of coloured lighting and other hardware-accelerated effects was done well without going overboard. I'm a fan of the "untangling strings" style of puzzle, so it was nice to see so many of them in one game.

The hidden object scenes had a higher than average number of "lost in translation" words compared to other games, but it was pretty obvious that was the case, and I just used a hint when I ran into that problem. Restoring the broken down rooms as you progressed through the game was pretty cool, and the story was decent. The ending scene was pretty satisfying to watch.

grover3e
Lobster
Lobster
94 Posts

[Post New]by grover3e on Mar 31, 11 8:49 AM
FABULOUS game, best I've played in awhile. Beautifully drawn, well-made and interesting. The puzzles were all doable, but easy to skip if you got bored (I got a little tired of untangling....I just let my necklaces languish in a drawer in knots!). Quite long, so you'll definitely get your money's worth. And thanks for allowing the hint button to tell us what to do with the minigames....very helpful! So glad I found a reference to this one on the Mac forums. I think I've finally found a game that I would be willing to spend my money on for a CE, for the sequel.

FIVE OF FIVE STARS! =)

Edited on 03/31/2011 at 8:50:39 AM PST

gailfriend429
Guppy
Guppy
129 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystert of Mortlake Mansion

[Post New]by gailfriend429 on Apr 10, 11 1:58 PM
CasualGran wrote:Wrote this after buying and playing this on the devs site last month:

This is fantastic new Inventory Hidden Object Game from Playrix! I love every minute of it! First of all it opens with an appetizing litlle trailer. Then you have 2 choices. Playing standard, which is the relaxed mode with indicated hotspots, or 'high difficulty'. I played the relaxed mode, so can't tell you much about the more challenging gameplay, but this game is so entertaining that I'm sure I'll play it again in the 'high difficulty' mode.

The other choice you can make is having the character you play talk with a male or a female voice, which I think is the first time I see this thoughtfull possiblility in a game. KUDOS to the devs!!!
The graphics are superb. Handdrawn and crisp, a pleasure to look at. HOG scenes are the junkpile style, but objects aren't difficult to find, I've discovered no small or too well hidden stuff. Another good thing is that the objects fit the timeperiod, no annoying modern things thrown in. Hints are unlimited and the button refills really fast.

The story is intriguing from the start, and the music is so atmospheric and varied that I didn't feel the usual need to mute it. The gameplay is keeping you attentive, it's like looking at a thrilling, spooky movie. You'll have minigames and puzzles to do to make progress, and they're all skippable. The handholding is minimum, which I found great.

This game makes your brain work and is a nice change compared to the easy going majority of HOGs. One of the minigames makes the crow in this story talk. He'll get you started and will continue to appear now and then.
Very convenient is the map of the house that you can use to move to another room. Running around not needed here! You've got a journal too, so no problem to stop playing for a while. You can always catch up easily. Finally, making this game the perfect IHOG of the year IMO, is the length. Hours and hours of gamepleasure, so definitely worth the money! Try the demo at least and if you decide to buy: happy gaming!

5 out of 5
hi

4Cingere
Starfish
Starfish
58 Posts

[Post New]by 4Cingere on Apr 10, 11 10:19 PM
This game feels old and clunky. It's like they made it years ago and just released it.
It takes forever to load and is so slow to load the next scene.
Very disappointing, glad I "trialed" it first, thanks BFG for that part!

Edited on 04/10/2011 at 10:20:09 PM PST

[Post New]by lilfarmtruck on Apr 13, 11 6:17 PM
Coronagold wrote:
shadowfax44 wrote:
goofyduck77 wrote:Ahhh, I finally figured out how they came up with "rite knife". LOL

Well.... ??

They meant "rucky knife".

Dang...I thought it meant ceremonial dagger....

[Post New]by lilfarmtruck on Apr 13, 11 6:31 PM
I too thought it was a great game. Played wonderfully simple during the demo...then I bought it. Started having cursor issues imediately. I would have a double cursor...the game cursor and my own windows cursor....what the? Very confusing. I am somewhat new to pc games but have played several HOGs (Dire Grove, Fear for Sale, Blood Oath etc) to finish and thought I'd really enjoy this one. But I have to go against the majority here. I found a glitch where the map would show I was finished with tasks in a certain room, but in reality there were scraps left unrecovered in that same room with no way to go back and get them once I'd left that room...I referred to the walkthrough more than I care to mention and have decided that perhaps this game is just a little over my head....I'm glad though that so many have enjoyed playing it..I will go back to it and try again after honing and practising my HOG skills for a few months...

This is a great site and I am so glad these forums are here. A big thank you to everyone who posts. Your comments mean so much to new gamers like myself.

Edited on 04/13/2011 at 7:12:32 PM PST

beryltheperil
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by beryltheperil on Apr 16, 11 8:31 AM
I love this one!

playing it in high difficulty mode and it is making me think.

lots of going backwards and forwards to find what you need. I am going to have to resort to note taking, which i hardly ever bother with when doing HOGs.

slightly out of the ordinary.

Go to: