lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Shiver: Vanishing Hitchhiker Collector's Edition

[Post New]by lovely62 on Sep 1, 11 2:17 PM
I really love this agme, THx DEV's and KUddo's BF..I finished the game along time ago, I decided I wantewd to play it again...I don't do that very often play games when I finish them..

Seascape6
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Shiver: Vanishing Hitchhiker Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Seascape6 on Sep 8, 11 11:55 AM
Late on the review - had power restored last Saturday night following Hurricane Irene but no internet, tv or phone until just 30 minutes ago when my cable company came out to replace the lines on our street. Music and candles kept me company in the dark, and when power was restored, BigFishGames kept me entertained. And after 8 years of living in the same location, I now know most of my neighbors as we shared lanterns, cook stoves, food and helped each other.

Back on topic: My most favorite entertainment of all the games I played during this time was Shiver. Truly an amazing game and like a good book that I don't want to put down, I didn't want to stop playing or want the game to end. Intriguing, challenging, great graphics, interesting storyline and the sound effects - especially the rain and the thunder...wow. This was an eerie journey and was exceptionally well done.

I saved some of the screensavers and have them on my computer, especially since they are reminiscent (to me) of old homes, wooded areas and the shoreline of New England in the fall.

I am going to send this one to my sister via a game credit / purchase. I don't want her to miss it or overlook it.

TnTexas
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by TnTexas on Sep 17, 11 12:46 PM
Overall Impression: a creepy/dark-and-eerie iHOG/Adventure blend that's worth

Pros:
-- Two game modes are available - casual and adventure. According to the option menu: "Hints and skips recharge slower and most other hints are unavailable in the adventure mode."
-- The graphics and music are excellent and very evocative of an eerie, deserted town.
-- Some of the activities required you to think out of the box a bit. For example, that window that needs to be broken cannot be done so by a nearby brick or stone.
-- The storyline was fairly well done. It was told through notes and journal entries and wasn't too difficult to follow.
-- The HOG scenes were slightly grainy junkpiles. Despite that, things usually weren't too difficult to find. There was a flashlight available for making dark corners brighter. The hints refilled fairly quickly, and the misclick penalty was a short loss of the cursor.
-- The minigames/puzzles were skippable within a reasonable amount of time. I don't remember any of them being very difficult.

Cons:
-- Only the opening scene was voiced-over.
-- A major question in the opening was never referred to again.

Bonus Material: was an extra chapter that pretty much negated a possibility of a direct sequel to the game. I think it took me about 45 minutes to an hour to play.

Will Probably Appeal to: people who like IHOG/Adventures, ghost stories, and dark-and-eerie games

Will Probably Not Appeal to: those who prefer straight HOGs or prefer to avoid games with supernatural themes

agate50
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by agate50 on Sep 18, 11 8:39 AM
What a great game! I'm re-playing it, and it has great replay value, if you let enough time elapse so you don't remember it too well.

This is the kind of game I'm always looking for...dark and spooky, with some good startles, gorgeous artwork, realistic sound effects, appropriate and non-annoying music that adds a lot to the atmosphere, fun puzzles, good balance of adventure and hidden object scenes, compelling story, and an efficient hint system.

Nothing not to love, as far as I'm concerned!

worthy
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by worthy on Nov 11, 11 5:33 AM
I seldom give a review but I have just finished playing this game. I am sure that this is the best game I have played. I was very grateful for the hint. The story was good and interesting. Well worth the CE price

ChocPeng
Herring
Herring
346 Posts

[Post New]by ChocPeng on Mar 10, 12 6:34 PM
Streifenbarbe wrote:Nice game you can play completely relaxed. Fair hidden object scenes, good graphics, minigames not too hard. But far too short for a CE! I am not very fast and tend to skip minigames ( which I did not do in this game) and finished after 4,5 hours, bonusgame included.
It's a buy anyhow!

Friend, I am not complaining about you specifically, especially since you stated here that you did not skip games, but this is about the third time this week I have read a complaint from someone about the length of a game who went on to mention in his or her negative review that he/she skipped HOGs or mini-games.

I am just curious; how on earth can someone skip significant parts of a game and then complain about its length? Are they truly that unaware of the idiocy of their complaint?

Anyway, no big deal, just as I said - I've just seen this multiple times this week and it really stood out to me. Also as I said - I see that you did state that you didn't skip games in your play of this particular game.

Thanks for the space and moment to bring this curiosity of mine out in the open for others' consideration. And, all my best to you, fellow gamer.

[Post New]by janee32 on Jun 7, 12 12:24 PM
It's really fun and easy. If you get stuck, just use the Strategy Guide!

boobailey
Guppy
Guppy
187 Posts

[Post New]by boobailey on Sep 22, 12 3:10 PM
Good game, Story line was neat, The way the story ended there could be a sequel. Graphic Ok not as nice as some games. Lot's of Hos, Lot's of puzzles too.

DeAnna2112
Clownfish
Clownfish
675 Posts

[Post New]by DeAnna2112 on Oct 21, 12 3:37 AM
Wow what a game Given it went on sale i rushed to puchase the CE and was so impressed with the bang you get for your buck. I think this may be the best game i have played as of yet overall and the best money i have ever spent on a game and got my monies worth. The game itself took me 5-6hrs and for a game that long normally i start losing interest past 3hrs..not this game! it kept my interest all the way to the end. The extra bonus chapter took me alittle over an hour and honestly i would have to recommend the CE because the bonus chapter ties up alot of background to the story. I was so sad when it ended..what an exciting game

The only issue i had was the bonus content. Given this game was exceptional and beyond outstanding, just not sure why you chose the wallpapers you did? it's not the best shots of the game and this game deserved that as well as placing the name of the game on the wallpapers like the game Drawn did...why would you not want to mark and advertise your game on the wallpapers like the game Drawn did? The game deserved a screensaver as well?

Here is the problem, you didn't allow the purchaser to access bonus content til the end of the game..then when the game ended one could not go back into the photo shots or the game itself without erasing the game and my point being...taking away the bonus content access. So if i remove the game and wish to come back to access things in bonus content..i have to play the whole game all over again if i remove the game until next time i replay it down the road..which in time and given how much i loved it i will..but you get my point with the problems associated with bonus content gripples i am making. Thing is...why is this even a issue to begin with
Regardless, the game was a blockbuster in my eyes and even without the bonus content it was worth CE price..that's awhole lotta game that kept the entertainment factor coming

sunshinej
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,313 Posts

[Post New]by sunshinej on Sep 1, 13 6:54 PM
What a great atmospheric game. The bleak looking surroundings, the rain and tension filled music suited the game right down to the ground. I was totally immersed in the story. Just like I would be by reading a good book. Very well done game.

I really recommend the CE version of the game as I would have been disappointed with the way the main game ended. The bonus chapter helps to round off the story.

sunshine

Go to: