kisskeeps
Catfish
Catfish
1,508 Posts

Re:Jane Angel: Templar Mystery comments and reviews

[Post New]by kisskeeps on Dec 24, 09 1:01 PM
I just finished the one-hour trial and I will definitely get this game. The graphics are beautifully rendered, the play is different and imaginative, and the story line is interesting yet not too invasive (so far). The only negative thing I have is to agree with Gentlsong about the "polaroid" shot given when a clue is used.

I've been reading this thread for a while now. I am so pleased that Eugene Duranin, one of the developers, has taken such great interest in the comments and constructive criticism of us fishies. Mr. Duranin, you are most patient with us rude Americans but how clever of you to ask the players of your game to voice their opinions. I think that attitude will take you to the top of the world in hidden object games and I wish you much luck.

To all the resident and visiting fishies of the Pond, a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year !!!

Kissy

[Post New]by Eugene_Duranin on Dec 24, 09 6:53 PM
kisskeeps wrote:I just finished the one-hour trial and I will definitely get this game. The graphics are beautifully rendered, the play is different and imaginative, and the story line is interesting yet not too invasive (so far). The only negative thing I have is to agree with Gentlsong about the "polaroid" shot given when a clue is used.

I've been reading this thread for a while now. I am so pleased that Eugene Duranin, one of the developers, has taken such great interest in the comments and constructive criticism of us fishies. Mr. Duranin, you are most patient with us rude Americans but how clever of you to ask the players of your game to voice their opinions. I think that attitude will take you to the top of the world in hidden object games and I wish you much luck.

To all the resident and visiting fishies of the Pond, a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year !!!

Kissy

Hi, kisskeeps!
Thank you for your kind words!
Considering the way I'm listening players: Of course it is pleasure to read positive feedbacks it is also helpful (for developers) to hear auditory, so I must say "thank y'all" to BFG players. We'll improve some moments in our next game after reading this forum. Also, I'd like personally express my gratitude for everyone who enjoyed my work !

Best regards, Eugene.
P.S. Polaroid hint is sentenced to death

yews
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by yews on Dec 27, 09 7:13 PM
I've been reading these forums for over a year without feeling compelled to write. However, the time and effort Eugene has put in responding to these posts have not only convinced me to buy the game, but to also tell him how much I appreciate his interest in what we think.

It is a fun game; there are new ways of doing things that make it interesting; and the history is a bonus. The tutorial is not the usual stupid arrow highlighting items -- it explains the differences from the usual games.

Euguene -- Hooray for you and your co-deloper!

PS. Sorry you have fixed the spelling and grammar. I found it charming, but, then, I'm somewhat dislexic,

[Post New]by Eugene_Duranin on Dec 28, 09 1:11 PM
yews wrote:I've been reading these forums for over a year without feeling compelled to write. However, the time and effort Eugene has put in responding to these posts have not only convinced me to buy the game, but to also tell him how much I appreciate his interest in what we think.

It is a fun game; there are new ways of doing things that make it interesting; and the history is a bonus. The tutorial is not the usual stupid arrow highlighting items -- it explains the differences from the usual games.

Euguene -- Hooray for you and your co-deloper!

PS. Sorry you have fixed the spelling and grammar. I found it charming, but, then, I'm somewhat dislexic,

Hi, yews!
I'm glad that my activity got you involved into forum writing
Thank you for kind words!
About spelling and grammar: I had to fix it, cause it is one of possible reasons Jane Angel isn't successful commercially (at least looks like it isn't ). So, (as it was our debut) we are analyzing all issues of the game. I hope that game quality is high enough despite of some mistakes, but we should be aware of them and "eliminate" them cause they were crucial.

BTW: What was a reason we weren't lucky with Jane Angel (I mean commercially lucky - we didn't hit top10 and looks like we wouldn't )? Genre? Spelling? Grammar? Something else?
I'm addressing this question to everybody who are reading this thread.

Best regards, Eugene.

Kayster
Squid
Squid
65 Posts

[Post New]by Kayster on Dec 31, 09 4:25 PM
Hi again Eugene-
I am just seeing your message now and HAVE to put my opinion in

Many members here download the demo the first day or two. If they don't like it, they delete it and never come back. Some may post in the forums, most will not.

Some may read the forums before downloading the demo and others (like me) may wait until after they try it out. I want to form my own opinion before listening to others.

So, you might want to ask BFG to help you out - I know they want your games to be a success also!

How many people downloaded the demo? How does that compare with other Hidden Object Games on BFG? That should give you a clue if the subject was the problem. Just a clue though because there may have been a lot of members who never downloaded after reading about the translation problems.

Of those who downloaded, how many eventually purchased the game? How does that compare with other HOGs here? If the conversion rate is low, that would indicate that people did not like the actual game play - probably the translation issues.

But I think you were mostly hit with the very vocal dissatisfaction with the spelling and grammar problems. You fixed those, but by then people had moved on to other new games. BFG also did not publicize the fixes - I only saw it because I visited the forums here. That might have helped (although I had already purchased the game by that point). But after the first few days, you are not likely to attract new players unless you appear on the top sellers list.

Your graphics are very good, your story line is new and fresh, you have some clever innovations in play - overall really a nice game. But once you missed the first flood of players, I think it was too late.

The other things people complained about - the hint display and the shutter between scenes would not normally be enough to keep people away if they enjoyed playing. So I think it was the translation problems - and we know that will not happen next game! Good luck!

sleeplady
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by sleeplady on Dec 31, 09 9:42 PM
NO it is not understandable that you aggregiously misspell so many words. Why should anyone pay for your lack of professionalism????? There are lots of great games out there that take the time to get it right. NO free passes here!

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Dec 31, 09 10:11 PM
I didn't give a free pass or get one. I gladly paid $6.99 for this game after the demo because other than mistranslations everything about this game is highly professional especially compared to a lot of junk sold as games. It is fresh, innovative, graphics excellent and most of all fun which is what a game should be. Other than grammar it looks and plays highly professional to me.

And i've seen a lot worse in many foreign made games, sometimes it adds some charm, sometimes put on your thinking cap to figure yourself what they mean. You can find mistakes in MCF games too and I don't see that Huntsville nor Prime Suspects was hurt by their "non-professionalism". So, those who have strong pet peeves that prevent you from playing a game in spite of some flaws, then keep shopping. Let us know when you find the perfect game. Or a first issue created by a two man team this good. Their only misstep was trusting their translator IMO.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EUGENE and ALL OF YOUR FANS

Edited on 12/31/2009 at 10:14:53 PM PST

[Post New]by Eugene_Duranin on Jan 1, 10 2:19 AM
sleeplady wrote:NO it is not understandable that you aggregiously misspell so many words. Why should anyone pay for your lack of professionalism????? There are lots of great games out there that take the time to get it right. NO free passes here!

Hi, sleeplady.
I agree with you about our lack if we are talking about "scissorses" - we really missed it! In the fact it sounds as very memorizable mistake for native speakers. There aren't SO MANY words as you wrote! "Mistakes" like "mop" aren't caused by lack of professionalism, but caused by lack of experience.
I also think that comments like yours depend on tolerance level of every particular player (and probably on player's overall positive life vision ) and therefore depend on educational background (it is my personal opinion).
Best regards, Eugene.

[Post New]by Eugene_Duranin on Jan 1, 10 2:22 AM
Hi, Kayster and puzzledone!
Thank you

Eugene.

Valyna
Squid
Squid
62 Posts

[Post New]by Valyna on Jan 4, 10 4:05 PM
Love it - bought it....

Kudos to you and your co-developer, Eugene! Nice graphics and original gameplay (the scrolling and black/grey text).

I don't care about misspellings, I see them in games all the time. We are only human, regardless of what everyone is posting.

The funny thing is, some of the ones posting about misspellings and grammar are using improper grammar and misspelling also...hehehe

Anywho*, (* just to make the grammar police mad!) It's a wonderful game, and I personally look forward to your next release!

Valyna

P.S. Can you work in support for wide screen monitors on the next one?? I would still buy it anyway, but that would be awesome!

[Post New]by Eugene_Duranin on Jan 5, 10 5:36 AM
Valyna wrote:Love it - bought it....

Kudos to you and your co-developer, Eugene! Nice graphics and original gameplay (the scrolling and black/grey text).

I don't care about misspellings, I see them in games all the time. We are only human, regardless of what everyone is posting.

The funny thing is, some of the ones posting about misspellings and grammar are using improper grammar and misspelling also...hehehe

Anywho*, (* just to make the grammar police mad!) It's a wonderful game, and I personally look forward to your next release!

Valyna

P.S. Can you work in support for wide screen monitors on the next one?? I would still buy it anyway, but that would be awesome!

Hi, Valyna!
Thank you for your comment !
We'll make wide screen support in next game for sure!
Best regards, Eugene.

[Post New]by goth1c666 on Jan 10, 10 8:02 AM
Please, please, can someone tell me what the music is in this game?

[Post New]by Eugene_Duranin on Jan 10, 10 3:11 PM
goth1c666 wrote:Please, please, can someone tell me what the music is in this game?

Hi, goth1c666.
It is The Piano Sonata No. 14 in C-sharp minor "Quasi una fantasia", Op. 27, No. 2, by Ludwig van Beethoven, popularly known as the Moonlight Sonata (Mondscheinsonate in German).
Performed by programmer, Maxim Rodionov.

Best regards, Eugene (developer).

nexff
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
2 Posts

[Post New]by nexff on Feb 7, 10 9:50 PM
Hi Eugene ~

I think this game is a winner. Nice story, fabulous graphics, beautiful music, interesting mini-games ... looking forward to your next one.

Just before coming to this forum, I played it again. And I was wondering to myself why I play it so often when I have a whole library of other games. One reason, I think, is that many of the scenes are in sunlight! I'd much rather be on the Malta coast than in a dark cave somewhere! That's refreshing. Thanks so much.

Now, I have only one little quibble ... when I downloaded the re-built game, the bonus play didn't come with it. Has that been deleted?

[Post New]by decrepitude on Feb 12, 10 4:00 PM
Just to add my twopennorth. . .

I liked the trial very much and am going to buy it next week when my next game credit comes due.

Mis-spellings and grammar errors on Forums annoy me! But in a game it is surely a minor irritation, in fact if you are a Brit like me you have to get used to different spellings and indeed words for things in the mass of American games. I knew the obvious differences like elevator for lift, sidewalk for pavement etc, but until I played American Hidden Object games I had no idea that in America torches were flashlights and kettles teapots! So to complain about a few spelling errors by developers for whom English is a foreign language seems very harsh.

[Post New]by Eugene_Duranin on Feb 19, 10 4:20 AM
nexff wrote:Hi Eugene ~

I think this game is a winner. Nice story, fabulous graphics, beautiful music, interesting mini-games ... looking forward to your next one.

Just before coming to this forum, I played it again. And I was wondering to myself why I play it so often when I have a whole library of other games. One reason, I think, is that many of the scenes are in sunlight! I'd much rather be on the Malta coast than in a dark cave somewhere! That's refreshing. Thanks so much.

Now, I have only one little quibble ... when I downloaded the re-built game, the bonus play didn't come with it. Has that been deleted?

Hi, nexff!
Thank you!
About bonus mode - unfortunetely, You have to finish game again to uncover bonus mode. We tried to keep all data regardless of changes made with game, but weren't able to keep this progress.

Best regards, Eugene.

ComputerCharm
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
17,537 Posts

[Post New]by ComputerCharm on Mar 8, 10 12:54 PM
Eugene

I don't know how I missed this game the 1st go round. but some kind fish in the POnd the other day Loved Loved Loved this game. So I decided to demo'ed it. Just wanted to post this before I am off to puchase
Thanks for a refreshing game

Charm

bulldog2
Clownfish
Clownfish
608 Posts

[Post New]by bulldog2 on Mar 8, 10 2:45 PM
I am so glad they came out with this game for MAC, I really am enjoying it. Not to hard and not to easy. There is such a varity of puzzles and hidden objects. Totally different than what I am use to playing.
Keep up the good work.

theoldbag
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by theoldbag on Mar 12, 10 3:01 PM
I too missed this one when it came out, in December. I like it! Played the demo and going to buy it now. Some language blipps don't bother me, kind of adds to the charm of the game. I found some different things to do in this game. The color is nice and also the brightness and scrolling. We are getting spoiled with all the different type games here. This one is fun! (just an old lady's view point)

Edited on 03/12/2010 at 3:02:44 PM PST

[Post New]by Eugene_Duranin on Mar 13, 10 4:32 PM
Hi theoldbag, bulldog2, ComputerCharm!
Thank you for comments! It is really inspiring for us to make better games, deeper stories and smoother gameplay.

Best regards, Eugene.

Go to: