dashwood95
Minnow
Minnow
273 Posts

Re:?? for those who've played both versions of MCF

[Post New]by dashwood95 on Dec 15, 09 10:14 AM
govegril wrote:[
I did buy the CE

The morphing objects are in the collectors edition and not in the basic editon. That is a game difference

NO IT'S NOT!!!

Did you even read what I said? It doesn't affect gameplay (for us CE'ers either!) so it's not a part of the main game. It's a perk, an extra, A BONUS.

Sheesh you guys are going to make me crazy. I'm done with this thread.

dogmama
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,998 Posts

[Post New]by dogmama on Dec 15, 09 1:27 PM
tedebear3 wrote:I haven't played both versions but I was wondering if the game itself is the same. I have gotten pretty far but got stumped. I came to the forum to find help. The hints I read said something about finding potato chips, I can't find them let alone get them, also getting the porclain rabbit head it won't let me break the rabbit with the hammer. I have the 699 version. Thanks

Tedebear3,
Neither the potato chips nor the rabbit head effect the game play. In fact, one can finish the CE of the game without using either the chips or the hammer for the rabbit head.

Have you looked at the walkthrough? It will probably help you with the area you are in. I got stumped several times because I had missed something . Maybe that's what has happened to you?

[Post New]by Bigfishette on Dec 15, 09 2:44 PM
Wow this is still going on. How about if I write a comment that LOCKS THIS UP. Just kidding. Really if you paid $6.99 and felt cheated that you didn't get the morphing then life can be disappointing sometimes. Ask for a refund and move on.

minxs
Clownfish
Clownfish
615 Posts

[Post New]by minxs on Dec 16, 09 5:55 PM
1LIR wrote:BF has been good to offer us games for $6.99 and the daily deals. Have we stop to think of the money we've saved and the fun we've had? We have to remember that they have to do what they do in order to make money.

Just curious, but do you notice how these two statements are contradictory? BF isn't "good" to offer us 6.99 games and DDs; they are doing it because they think it is the best way to make money in a down economy. BF would charge 49.99 for games if they could do it. Nothing wrong with it, either. I'm glad they can't, but I'm realistic enough to know that it's not because BF is a kindly Santa Claus of a business.
That's the reason they are in business. Not to please everyone, but they do a darn good job at trying most of the time to please our little qualms and making us happy.

The bad feelings around the release of the two games, for various reasons, were not "little qualms", and Picman even apologized for at least one aspect of the complaining. You will not see BF repeat many of the mistakes they made with this release, and one reason is because they do listen to the complaints in the forum. Why antagonize ANY customers, these days, even if they are a minority?

I agree with you that BF generally does a great job, and I continue to be a game club member and to recommend it to others even with "all games at 6.99" (more or less).

Edited on 12/16/2009 at 5:57:15 PM PST

[Post New]by SaucySideDish on Dec 16, 09 6:20 PM
Sorry, but I have to throw a comment into the ring regarding the morphing objects. I'd like to shed some light on the argument about whether they constitute a difference in gameplay between the two versions.

IMO, gameplay is ANY activity that a player can spend time doing in the game. It doesn't matter if that activity results in the player achieving some sort of goal. For the CE version, the bonus reward is the achievement the player receives for finding all the objects. But for many players, the simple act of finding the objects is fun and rewarding in and of itself. They don't necessarily need the pat on the back you get when the little achievement box pops up.

So if BF said the two versions of the actual game would be the same, then I'd say they haven't remained faithful to that. It doesn't matter if a particular activity goes toward completing the game, they removed an activity players would find fun, and therefore the two games ARE different.

Sorry to add more to this, and I mean no disrespect, I'm just trying to explain the argument a bit.

nwl43
Stingray
Stingray
4,931 Posts

[Post New]by nwl43 on Dec 16, 09 6:25 PM
If you use that logic, then all of the things that were extras in the Ce should have been included in the regular game. I found using the chips and banging the bunny head and playing the 4 extra HOGs to be a great deal of fun. How are they different rom the morphing objects? There is a whole thread here where people are having a great deal of fun playing around with the Easter egg concept.

Sorry, I just think your argument is flawed.

bfgErie
Catfish
Catfish
1,538 Posts

[Post New]by bfgErie on Dec 16, 09 6:31 PM
I just want to pop in here and remind folks to please remember to be respectful of one another in your posts. Everyone has a right to his or her own opinion and you we certainly want to hear it. But when you express your opinion in these forums, you must be respectful of each other.

Thank you!

bfgErie

[Post New]by SaucySideDish on Dec 16, 09 6:42 PM
Sorry nwl43, I missed something in the explanation, thanks for calling me on it. What I meant was the removal of the entire activity is where the problem lies. Bonus levels, bonus events, bonus scenes etc. are extensions of the existing game, and I have no problem with putting those in the CE. But removing the morphing objects from the entire game changes the gameplay experience from start to finish, whereas removing bonus HOB's etc. does not.

I'm going to stop flogging this dead equine now

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Dec 17, 09 12:53 PM
There is a difference between the morphs here and in Madam Fate. You have to click on the morphs in Madam Fate to progress - the game doesn't work without them. That's not true here. They're cosmetic, part of an achievement - and as such are only in the CE. Morphs aren't an activity removed from the standard game. You can't take out something that was never there to start with.

Edited on 12/17/2009 at 12:54:47 PM PST

1_of_5
Marlin
Marlin
8,238 Posts

[Post New]by 1_of_5 on Dec 22, 09 7:57 PM
I'm not reading through this entire thread tonight. It's just too late for that.

I just played Mdm Fate again. I found 1, count em 1, morphing object in the entire game. I clicked on it by accident. I saw the others but didn't click on them. Guess which round l'm on? The last one. I didn't need the other areas to play the game to the end. Therefore the morphing objects in Mdm Fate bring up bonus areas. And do not, as stated before, affect the actual game play. There should be no reason why Big Fish cannot put the morphing objects back in DG. Just let it be a personal achievement for those who play.

Again for the record I got the CE of DG.

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Dec 23, 09 1:37 AM
> There should be no reason why Big Fish cannot put the morphing objects back in DG.

You can't put back something that wasn't there.

1_of_5
Marlin
Marlin
8,238 Posts

[Post New]by 1_of_5 on Dec 23, 09 7:01 AM
Nit picker! You know what I mean. They could put out a patch or fix or whatever it's called to activate/put in the code for morphing objects.

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Dec 23, 09 7:56 AM
I refer you to picman's point 4) at the top of page 9 of this thread. The regular version of the game wasn't designed with morphs in it. They were always going to be an achievement in the CE. If you're so desperate for the morphs, you can "trade in" your regular version, pay the extra and download the CE.

bedheadkg
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by bedheadkg on Dec 23, 09 8:55 AM
I think there is a very good reason why they can't just put the morphing objects into the standard version. If they did then they would be issuing refunds to a whole lot of people like me who bought the CE becasue I wanted the extras. I appreciate that BF weren't a hundred percent clear about what the extras in the CE were, but personally I always assumed from what I read that the morphing objects were one of the extras. If they now put them into the standard game then I, for one, would be seriously annoyed. I think the lesson bf have learned from this is that they need to be clearer with the discriptions for the CE, but it would be unfair on those who have paid for the CE to change the differences now.

[Post New]by sassatude on Jan 22, 11 9:23 PM
For users who buy from Big fish games here is a heads up I had always purchased my games from the store and had my own disk. This last time I tried bigfish because it was cheaper. Well folkes they are taking everyone for a ride they will give you the regular version for 6.99 and the collectors edition for more the trick is they have put a lock on the cheaper version so that if you want to play the entire game then you will buy the 13.99 collectors edition which totals 21.00 but I have found that buying from the store for 19.99 it is the true game and they dont have collectors editions at the store this is bigfishs way to get more money.

Edited on 01/22/2011 at 9:34:10 PM PST

[Post New]by ChesterPepper79 on Jan 23, 11 12:11 AM
Welcome to the pond, sassatude!

Stores only carry the Collector's Edition (for $19.99). When this game was first released on BigFish, the CE was the same price, but it has since been lowered to $13.99, along with all other CEs.

The regular version is definitely the entire game, but as stated in this thread, it contains none of the bonus material. It is possible to upgrade to the CE and BF will only charge you the difference (currently, another $7). But the only way to not get overcharged is to go through Customer Service. If you just rebuy the game, you'll end up paying a total of $21, and both versions will be in your purchase history.

I think everyone is in agreement that Collector's Editions' sole purpose is to make more money for BigFish. They are a profit orientated business, afterall.

bfgDonau
Flounder
Flounder
2,464 Posts

[Post New]by bfgDonau on Jan 23, 11 10:07 AM
Hi everyone!

Since this is an older thread I'm going to go ahead and lock it up, but feel free to start a new discussion in the Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove Forum if you'd like.

Just click on the blue "Create New Discussion" button to get started.

Thanks!

-bfgDonau

Go to: