bfgTokoro
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,111 Posts

Reviews for Matchmaker: Curse of Deserted Bride

[Post New]by bfgTokoro on Mar 5, 13 12:35 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Matchmaker: Curse of Deserted Bride ? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Matchmaker: Curse of Deserted Bride page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgTokoro

bfgTokoro
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,111 Posts

Re:Reviews for Matchmaker: Curse of Deserted Bride

[Post New]by bfgTokoro on Mar 5, 13 12:37 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgTokoro

AvgSpock
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,044 Posts

[Post New]by AvgSpock on Mar 5, 13 1:43 AM
I guess that I would call this a straight IHOG.

It has a choice of timed/untimed mode

There is no choice of difficulty and there are intermittent glints within scenes that alert you to areas of interest.

I found looking for items delightful. It was more like really searching a room, rather than just a scene.

Mini games and tasks are interesting but didn't seem overly taxing.

I would have called it a nice light game to play but, for those looking for a game void of the occult, this one will not be it. The blurb tells of a cursed town and
Spoiler Alert: Voodoo dolls have been used to curse the town. Some dolls will be the collectibles for the game. They need to be found with a special glowing, amulet cursor. End Spoiler

I thought it was an odd choice and out of place for this kind of light hearted game.

KIW0612
Herring
Herring
376 Posts

[Post New]by KIW0612 on Mar 5, 13 2:33 AM
I find this game difficult to review. It has none of the bells and whistles we have become accustomed to.

It has two modes of play, timed and untimed.
It also has a diary,
No map (probably don't need one.)
No voiceovers
Music - must not have been intrusive, I didn't notice
You can skip Mini Games
Same Matchmaker character as the first game

I played the demo in "untimed" mode.

The game has an old school feel to it, but I do believe it is a new game. This is the 2nd Matchmaker game, so it can't be an "old" game. I enjoyed the previous Matchmaker, that's is why I jumped on this one. However, this one isn't as simple of a game as the first. The first one was a nice easy romance type game. This one has many many mini games and none of them are the normal ones we usually see. But I enjoyed working through them. Didn't have to skip any. For me that's good. I found myself very confused in the beginning as you are thrown into mini-games in the middle of HO scenes. But if you're willing to bear with it, you get used to it after a while.

Graphics are fine, nothing to write home about. When I saw the first HO scene I was ready to throw in the towel. The lighting was so bright on half of the screen that all colors were so washed out that no way could I play an entire game like that. I think it was just a bad job of having sunshine come in through the west window Thank God I haven't seen anything like that for the rest of the hour. There is LOTS to do, and none of it will cause an intermediate player any frustration.

So if you aren't too demanding of a player and can enjoy a game without all the newest bells and whistles I'd suggest you try the demo. It's a buy for me - if for no other reason that it's a romance game. How dreary, scary or gruesome can it get? That's good enough for me. Oh - it does involve a voodoo doll. No idea where they are going with that for the rest of the game.

Story line is that 20 years ago a bride was left standing at the altar. She was so heartbroken the entire town felt bad for her. Consequently there have been no weddings in that town for the last 20 years, The Matchmaker intends to change that. So far the game hasn't discussed that the town was cursed 20 years ago - but maybe so. They only mentioned the sadness of a very pretty bride.

happy gaming everyone

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Mar 5, 13 2:48 AM
I found most everything about this one annoying. First, matchmakers annoy me, anyway. And the game has entirely too many leaps of stupid logic. Example: allowed in a post office when it's closed to rummage through all the packages----right.

Anyway, the HOS are sort of washed out, simply not up to average.

Puzzles are as silly as the rest of the game.

No extras at all.

So, overall, the sickeningly sweet tone the game takes, along with a touch of voodoo(?), and a completely illogical storyline just didn't add up to anything fun to play at all. I liked the 2 "Love Story" games, and thought it might be similar, but it's not at all. Uninstalled.

Sherryah
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
479 Posts

[Post New]by Sherryah on Mar 5, 13 3:58 AM
cbtx wrote:I found most everything about this one annoying. First, matchmakers annoy me, anyway. And the game has entirely too many leaps of stupid logic. Example: allowed in a post office when it's closed to rummage through all the packages----right.

Anyway, the HOS are sort of washed out, simply not up to average.

Puzzles are as silly as the rest of the game.

No extras at all.

So, overall, the sickeningly sweet tone the game takes, along with a touch of voodoo(?), and a completely illogical storyline just didn't add up to anything fun to play at all. I liked the 2 "Love Story" games, and thought it might be similar, but it's not at all. Uninstalled.

THANK YOU! for the warning and that goes for Avgspock warning also about the occult theme of voodoo. This is a no buy for me for the voodoo theme plus I hate illogical stories, back to back hidden object scenes poorly done, with no voice overs

I have not read all the reviews yet but thank you to everyone that warns ahead of time when the occult is the main focus in a game. I have bought many great Collector Games I am working on finishing.

Edited on 03/05/2013 at 4:00:34 AM PST

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Mar 5, 13 5:34 AM
Sadly I have to agree with all the negative reviews of this game. It looks as though it was made when people had no expectations from games; an enormous cursor that can't be changed, the game shows you pretty much where everything is, the sparkles can't be turned off, no voiceovers, the graphics were average and the story was too sugary for my taste (but the game was made by Sugar Games so I suppose I should have expected that!). And why have a timed/untimed option in a HOG? After 20 years of the town not having any weddings, what's the hurry?

I was hoping for a good game today and I hate to be so critical of any developer but this game really isn't up to today's standards. I gave up after 22 minutes and definitely won't be buying this game

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on Mar 5, 13 6:34 AM
actually, this game is a welcome relief from all the darkness we've seen recently..kinda fits in with the fact that winter is ALMOST over.

The HOG scenes are a pleasure, the graphics crisp and brightly coloured.
The music ignorable. The mini games actually we're fun except the match 3 one, I just find those a grind, but I'm a minority.

Give it a go..for no other reason than to take a break mentally.
kris

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Mar 5, 13 10:23 AM
Not a game I like. It seems old and outdated. I didn't even play it 10 min and thought not a game I want to play or buy..

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Mar 5, 13 10:45 AM
I'm on the fence with this one. Seems like a decent game with no bells and whistles. Graphics are akin to the Murder She Wrote type, but seem to be updated and a tad better. The game has a habit of throwing you into a puzzle in the middle of a HOG, but not to disconcerting. The puzzles are easy, but this is not necessarily a bad thing. I just get a disjointed feel about the story line.
Spoiler Alert :::

You tend to move from one area to another with no rhyme nor reason except to set up a new series of puzzles. You rent a dilapidated room and drop what you're doing to renovate it. You go to see a vintage automobile and again stop what you're doing to restore it. This takes away from the flow of the game and made me feel as though I was being led through a maze by he nose. Too linear for my taste.

When I get to the point of one of my coupons expiring, I may purchase it. Not really a bad game, but not a particularly good game either, I would recommend you try it for yourself, as it would make a good HOG for beginners, and someone who just wants an easy leisurly game.

rogerscove
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by rogerscove on Mar 5, 13 11:04 AM
I bought this simply to get a break from all those dark and gloomy games. I like the colours, the simple games, even the 80's type background music. It's really not much of a "voodoo" game so far except to collect dolls. I've demoed much worse voodoo-themed games. I find this one relaxing.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Mar 5, 13 12:30 PM
This dev produces the same type of game, heavy with HOG scenes. There have been others with the same theme throughout the years. This game will not appeal to everyone. To me, it is absolutely boring. I would have more fun watching watching ducks cross the road than play this game. However, that said, there are those romantic souls who love this type of game. So, I actually think BF does a service to provide games for everyone. Way too sappy for me and way too many HOG scenes. But, if you like looking for items and like schmaltzy romance novels and movies, this is up your alley.

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Mar 5, 13 1:17 PM
"I would have called it a nice light game to play but, for those looking for a game void of the occult, this one will not be it. The blurb tells of a cursed town and
Spoiler Alert: Voodoo dolls have been used to curse the town. Some dolls will be the collectibles for the game. They need to be found with a special glowing, amulet cursor. End Spoiler

I thought it was an odd choice and out of place for this kind of light hearted game."

(The above quote is part of Avgspock's review). Thank you so much, Avgspock, for letting us know about the occult theme in this game. I appreciate the warning so much. I just wish occult warnings would be revealed more often. Sherryah and I, along with others, always appreciate it when someone takes the time to forewarn potential players.

Edited on 03/05/2013 at 1:18:45 PM PST

jonah11
Minnow
Minnow
211 Posts

[Post New]by jonah11 on Mar 5, 13 2:55 PM
I agree with the negative reviews. To me it was a silly game.

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Mar 5, 13 5:12 PM
I don't review games anymore due to the mod.

Let me just say felt like 20 years before the game finally started. Far, far too many screens.

I have to multitask sometimes at work. However, I didn’t like doing it in a game.

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Mar 5, 13 5:19 PM

I played the whole game (untimed) straight thru and enjoyed it alot!

I wasn't very thrilled with the other matchmaker games but this one had drama, good graphics and actual stories that meshed through the whole game. There were interesting minigames, as well.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Mar 5, 13 5:46 PM
This really isn't a bad game for a straight HOG. Graphics were nice, game play nice. HOGs a bit messy and junk pile. Games simple. Hint system...well, that left a lot to be desired.

Storyline sounded good, but voodoo dolls? Wow! Story was very choppy and several times, it made me wonder why I was doing what I was doing..no flow to the game. Needed something to liven it up a little. Music got very annoying very quickly.

Absolutely no frills on this one at all, but would be a nice game for a beginner. This one is too simple for me, so it is a pass.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find it quite enjoyable. Thanks for the reviews.

ladygem6
Herring
Herring
391 Posts

[Post New]by ladygem6 on Mar 5, 13 6:12 PM
I will use a punch card credit for this game. I don't think I would buy it for regular price, but after playing the trial, like the first Matchmaker's game, I am interested to see who is matched to who. The puzzles are different than most and I like them. Can't remember the music so no comment there.

The graphics are very static but I like the interaction of story where you rebuilt cars and rooms. This is a simple game and for me, a welcome one as some of the latest choices have been extremely trying. My old brain just isn't up to the strain so to have this game come along was just what I needed.

Sure some won't like it but then that is to be expected. We don' all like or enjoy the same games and that's as it should be. So I'm off to see how it goes with matchmaking!

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Mar 5, 13 11:03 PM
I bought it and am enjoying it. I did like the first one too. No, it doesn't have all the bells and whistles, and I don't expect it to. This just a relaxing, not sure what you are going to do next type of game. I like the variety of this one, and the music playing softly in the background is appropriate. I don't mind that there aren't voice overs, either. Not in this game, at least. I can understand that many may not like this one, but some of you know what I am talking about when I say this is simply a nice change of pace. So far I have found three of the voodoo dolls and I don't think that the occult theme is as emphasized as in many of the other games. Romance is the main theme in this one.

eta: It gets even better. The hos are challenging, and items are cleverly hidden, and mini games are hidden within them also. Some of them are just fun and others, like a dinosaur fossil outline in broken rock...took me awhile to get started on that one, but I really enjoyed doing it. If you are really on the fence, give it a try, you may be surprised

Edited on 03/06/2013 at 1:11:54 AM PST

sylmide
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by sylmide on Mar 6, 13 1:12 AM
WolfenRaindancer,
I couldn't agree more it is just what i have been waiting for in a game.Not dark in story or screen. Cheers have fun playing.

Sylmide

Go to: