bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Reviews for Dreamscapes: The Sandman

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Mar 13, 13 12:51 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Dreamscapes: The Sandman? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Dreamscapes: The Sandman page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBiwa

bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Re:Reviews for Dreamscapes: The Sandman

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Mar 13, 13 12:52 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBiwa

MM272
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by MM272 on Mar 13, 13 2:34 AM
I noticed that there is a Collector's Edition for this title being offered at another game site. Though after playing the demo, I wasn't surprised at Big Fish's reluctance to offer it here.
My only question is, why would the developer of colorful and happy games like Gardenscape and Royal Envoy want to put their name on this dark and occult travesty? The graphics are definitely sub-par, and the game play concerns (yet again) entering somebody's dreams. My rating:

Edited on 03/13/2013 at 9:29:39 AM PST

KIW0612
Herring
Herring
376 Posts

[Post New]by KIW0612 on Mar 13, 13 2:51 AM
This game is properly categorized as an "Adventure" game. There are no HO scenes.

Nice crisp graphics
Journal - YES
Voiceovers - YES
Map - NO
Xtras to collect - YES
Mini Games, interesting and so far not very difficult.

Very intuitive Hint system. It also guides you to where you need to go if you are lost and it doesn't count as a hint if all it gives you is the navigation. You can drag an inventory item to the HINT button to see what the item will be used for. I forgot about that option, and only saw it in the tutorial. Sounds helpful though. Hints refill relatively fast.

Story line is that a dream catcher protects Laura from bad dreams. However she misplaces the dream catcher and it is up to you to save her from her nightmares. Each nightmare is a self contained part of the game (Chapter I guess) so there is no HUGE amount of back and forth per chapter. I don't know how many nightmare's there are - couldn't find a walkthrough or review that mentioned it. Playing the one hour demo in normal, I made it into the middle of her second nightmare.

Pretty dreary story line. But by now I'm hooked and I have to buy this game to save Laura from her nightmares and rebuild her dream catcher. Judging by the piece of the dream catcher you get at the end of each chapter, this may be a decent length game. But don't quote me on that, just a guess on my part. The dream catcher pieces in the next chapters may be bigger and fill in more of the dream catcher than the first 2 pieces did.

interesting enough of a game - give it a try

EDIT - Not sure if it matters, but I just saw a review on another site saying "Nice game, but I wish it was longer." Hmmm . . . so my guessing may be way off.

Edited on 03/13/2013 at 4:08:52 AM PST

tropdechats
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by tropdechats on Mar 13, 13 2:59 AM
I played the demo for 30 minutes and purchased the game. It is dark but I found it interesting and challenging. It plays like a CE with achievements and other fun additions (I won't say more so I don't ruin your pleasure at discovering them!). It is very generous for an SE. KIWO612 described the essentials of the game play so I won't bore anyone by repeating. I'll only say that the game play is neither linear nor intuitive. I was concerned when I saw the dev's name: their games are usually bright, happy and good for children. This one is none of those. But, thanks, devs, for what looks like a great game!

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by sassylassie on Mar 13, 13 4:19 AM
This game is a definite 10/10. I love this little green dinosaur team, they rock! Their top hit series Gardenscapes. Good ol' Farmer Joe, his grandson Tom, and his buddy Austin.

Story: We are traveling through the dreams of our main Missy Laura and we have to save her from these nightmares.

Graphics: Absolutely top notched! This team has an awesome art team where you just stop and look at the graphics.

Mini games: Not to hard or easy. Pleasing challenging.

Music: Top notched. Fits the game beautifully.

Hint system: Very well done. Gets you unstuck if your stuck.

I am enjoying it and this will be another one to remember for a really long time. Again kudos to the team!

Sassy

shagwendy
Stingray
Stingray
4,926 Posts

[Post New]by shagwendy on Mar 13, 13 4:24 AM
I own the Premium Edition of this game. It is great! Lots of menu options. Lots of achievements, Beholders, Diary pages, and Dream Catcher pieces to find. The hint button is a game in itself and also part of the Achievements for using it! This game is set in the Dreamworld so lots of neat scenery. It has chapters so there isn't a lot of backtracking and it's easy to play a chapter at a time and then come back. There are no HO scenes but otherwise it plays like a HOPA. It took me hours and hours and that's with no HOs(although looking for collectibles is sort of like that) and not much backtracking. I cannot recommend this game highly enough, it was the perfect game for me I can't believe they didn't offer the CE here, I still have a screensaver on my PC from this game. I'm glad I got it at the devs.

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Mar 13, 13 4:30 AM
Played the whole demo, casual

- 2 modes, casual, expert

- You collect 110 "beholders" through out the game

- Achievements

- A sweet furry little creature (a bat ?) helps you around

- Voice overs

- Notebook

- No map (not really needed)

- Hint very useful

- Good mini games

- Very good graphics

After Laura's dream catcher has been destroyed, her nightmares start again and she's in a coma. You enter her dreams to help her out. Played the whole demo and now I want to know the end !! Seems like a good game, will spend a punch card credit on it.

gamblebug
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

[Post New]by gamblebug on Mar 13, 13 4:57 AM
Shagwendy since you own the CE of this game .Is the SE going to end right then.

[Post New]by Shaman2013 on Mar 13, 13 8:02 AM

Edited on 03/13/2013 at 11:57:30 AM PST

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Mar 13, 13 8:29 AM
[Removed by Moderator]

Thank you for this great game. I love it. It was funny too.

[Removed by Moderator]

Edited on 03/15/2013 at 4:47:11 AM PST

Mhhu
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,439 Posts

[Post New]by Mhhu on Mar 13, 13 8:39 AM
[Removed by Moderator]

I downloaded the demo this morning and have not had a chance to play much of the game yet. There were at the time no reviews yet but what I played I liked. I was still in doubt whether or not to purchase. Your comments on the forum made my mind up as it is nice to see developers paying attention so this will be a buy for me. If I am happy with the game, I will probably be grateful to BFG for releasing an excellent game at an affordable price, which ultimately will give you a lot more exposure. While I have been writing this, I have had a quick side peek at the reviews and they look terrific. Well done, Shaman Games Studio!

Edited on 03/15/2013 at 4:45:23 AM PST

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Mar 13, 13 8:46 AM
I played the game and i knew right away this game is a keeper, thank you DEV's for all your hard work and time you spent on this awesome game, Thx BF for the game this morning..loved everything about this game ..Graphics was very nice to view and sounds was awesome..

[Post New]by Shaman2013 on Mar 13, 13 9:14 AM

Edited on 03/13/2013 at 11:57:40 AM PST

mcurty
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,991 Posts

[Post New]by mcurty on Mar 13, 13 10:32 AM
gamblebug wrote:Shagwendy since you own the CE of this game .Is the SE going to end right then.

This SE has an appropriate ending.
The Bonus Chapter is the story of another character.

I loved this game and had a lot of fun playing it. The extras were fun to collect and rather creepy. I don't understand why the CE was not released here because it included all the standard extras and is better than many that I have seen here.

My complete review of this game is at the game review place.

Edited on 03/13/2013 at 10:32:44 AM PST

Penguin29
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by Penguin29 on Mar 13, 13 10:34 AM
Played the "hard" mode.. Just finished. Took me exactly 3 hours to play. Good game... no strategy guide, but did not need one. This is an adventure game - there are no hidden object scenes. You really have to look around everywhere to find items you need. Sometimes you have to be in a specific location in order for the hint button to help. Just keep trying. Have fun.

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Mar 13, 13 10:42 AM
I totally enjoyed this adventure game (no HOS). Some of the mini games were skipped as they were confusing, but for the most part they were inventive and refreshingly different from other games which I enjoyed. Skip and Hint refresh quickly in this game, however because it is an adventure game you do have to use your head a bit and the hint doesn't always hold your hand. Lots of moving around and there is no map. The journal or diary isn't necessary at all...do not know why it is even included.

Had fun collecting those little squiggly things...don't know why I was doing it or what would have happened if I had managed to collect them all, but it was fun. Graphics in this game were amazing, but it would be nice if the voice doesn't match the lip movement they would just not have the lips move at all...that gets old. Lots of cutscenes you can skip, but be sure to pick up the objects that are left behind and be sure to look for them as they are not always obvious.

After reading some comments I see I am not alone in rating this game high. However, in response to one comment, I did not find the game dark and occult in the least...good grief.

The story concludes the heroine's adventure but the ending did say "to be continued" which I don't like. I hope they do intend to follow-up with the "conclusion". All in all a 5 out of 5 for this one!

Edited on 03/13/2013 at 10:48:21 AM PST

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Mar 13, 13 11:10 AM
Like this game, and will play the rest after I watch the BIG EAST tournament. Well I'm back and played as much of it as I could. Got stuck with the tire? Know where it is but need to pump it up and can't find the hose so guess I will have to wait until they have a walkthrough.. so won't be a buy for me today. Graphics were not bad but hate the games that you have a hard time seeing the whole screen. Too bad as it started out to be a good game.. Well figured it out after using the hint and guess I will give it another chance.

Edited on 03/13/2013 at 3:27:06 PM PST

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Mar 13, 13 11:12 AM
Welcome Shaman2013 ,

Can I just start off by saying that I just LOVE you all, and think you are some of the most talented developers out there ..your games ALWAYS have the fun factor, which is the most important thing to have in a game, and what computer games are all about !!
AND everything else is always, TOP NOTCH in your games also, GREAT story's, AWESOME graphics and artwork and FUN FUN FUN game play, so to see this offering today, well I am just bursting at the seams with excitement, and can't wait to play it.
HAPPY DAY, HAPPY DAY ...P is in the house, WOOP WOOP WOO HOO .
Ooops, just got unexpected company, will continue later ( Darn it ).
Back: Company didn't stay long, YAY
OMG...this game is totally AWESOME, I LOVE IT, it takes a lot for a game to have what I call the WOW FACTOR , having over 400 games, I can only say about 4 out of 400 have it, AND this is one of them !
I was actually LAUGHING out LOUD several times, which is huge if a game can do that, for me anyway , also there were SO many AAAH HAAA moments, in this one, SOOOOOO COOL moments as well, I could play a game like this one FOREVER, its that good IMHO .
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, the beholders, best thing I've seen yet, the realism is beyond GOOD, the way the developers did these, and the graphics and artwork are spot on SPECTACULAR, the story is so engaging and exciting, every moment leaves me wanting to know more, and all of this is just from the demo time..WOW .
I couldn't hit the buy button fast enough, that is how entertaining, I found this GEM.
Shaman2013 and the rest of the team, you all have out done yourselves, with this peice of art, CELEBRATE to your hearts content ...each and every one of you deserve it, because every single aspect of this game is done PERFECT!!
As a gaming addict, it doesn't get better than this, you made my day, for sure, so THANK YOU and please keep making games like this one a star, and than some IMHO .

Edited on 03/13/2013 at 2:06:03 PM PST

bezzer
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by bezzer on Mar 13, 13 11:53 AM
Loved this game! Even though no hidden object lists you still have to find things to be able to move along. Thanks for yet another good game. Definitely a BUY.

Go to: