bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for European Mystery: Scent of Desire Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Mar 14, 13 12:38 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of European Mystery: Scent of Desire Collector's Edition? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the European Mystery: Scent of Desire Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for European Mystery: Scent of Desire Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Mar 14, 13 12:38 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

grabbinbugs
Minnow
Minnow
225 Posts

[Post New]by grabbinbugs on Mar 14, 13 1:14 AM
Wow where is everybody? I'm not much of a reviewer but I will pass on my take on the game in demo. The basics are: achievements (collect 35 fleur de lis) has well marked jump map, journal and notes. Beautiful graphics, well done voice overs, clear defined interactive HO'S, not overly difficult puzzles...but those could get tougher as time goes on and an exceptionally nice music score. Story pretty much revolves around several young women dying, perfume, a cholera epidemic going on and a masked man shooting at people. Takes place in Paris. I did not check out the strategy guide for length. It's a buy here. Thank you devs for such a nice offering.

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

[Post New]by shorenuf on Mar 14, 13 1:45 AM
About the bundle -- I played the CE of both of those other games. Fierce Tales was an excellent game. Web of deceit was also pretty good. Both games offer a lot of adventuring and some pretty good puzzles. Fierce Tales was probably the better of the 2.

As for this game -- there are some scenes where this dev seems to have adopted the ERS school of hazy design, but generally the artwork is not bad. I played about 30 minutes, encountered one puzzle with the inventory item to complete it, a couple others still unsolvable, 2 HO scenes and many tasks. Black bar info doesn't say much more than "I wonder what I can use here", which is refreshing. Puzzles seem involved, HO scenes are interactive, junk pile, and I hope there are not too many of them. Widescreen, voice overs, quick transport map with task indicators. There are secret items to find -- I was almost ready to stop playing when I first came across one -- how many did I miss? There are Achievements -- guess I might miss that one.

What I am not really up to -- apparently there are many tasks where you will play alchemist -- collecting ingredients and mixing perfumes.

The story is grim -- women missing, dehydrated bodies found -- all that in the midst of a cholera epidemic. The game is complex (as were the others mentioned above), so you will use your brain cells more than in some other games.That is if you want to spend time in this gruesome atmosphere.

Strategy Guide says there are 6 chapters -- surely you will be well into chapter 2 or beyond in the demo hour. There is a Bonus chapter, hidden symbols locations list, repeat mini games, wall paper, music, concept art.

I would have to recommend this for the complex game play even though I'm not sure I want to play it at all.

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Mar 14, 13 2:05 AM
Let me say at the outset that I really like this game----as I have all the games from this developer.

I, too, hope that the foggy style graphics are a one shot deal, because I don't remember that particular device being used by this dev in any of their other games. And, it is not present in ALL scenes. But the foggy ERS-type haziness needs to be left out in the future. Maybe it has to do with the story?

And speaking of the story, it is an intriguing one that caught me immediately. Spooky doings here that must be figured out.

Overall, the art and graphics are very nice despite the bit of haze.

The HOS are interactive and nicely done.

The puzzles are very nice, and seem to get more challenging as the game moves along.

There is a mechanic involving a "scent collector" that I really like----it's original, imaginative, and unique.

There is an interactive, jumping map.

There are quite a few achievements, as well as collectibles.

And, as with all the superior games, there is widescreen.

There is an attractive CE package beyond the usual screensavers and such.

I like, recommend, and will buy this game.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Mar 14, 13 5:25 AM
Nice enough graphics, although a touch too muted for my taste and the story seems interesting. And thumbs up to the dev for a game that fills my w/s monitor. However after 20 minutes I'd had enough of clicking on something, only to be told 'you can use something here'. That much was obvious and didn't need constantly repeating. I was already sick of it when I found the first HOS and then got exactly the same message with the inter-active items.

Why this message needs repeating incessantly is beyond me. I didn't find it at all 'refreshing'; it was just downright irritating. I will leave this game for another day when I can put up with it constantly stating the obvious.

[Post New]by heatherington on Mar 14, 13 5:30 AM
This is good. I had to use my husbands money to get it, but I'm sure he won't mind cause he loves me and wants me to be happy. Good music, nice graphics, nice rooms without the decrepid decay I like to see nice clean pretty rooms. I don't mind being an alchemist. Mixing the scents was pretty easy. I'm gonna get that man. Who does he think he is, anyhooo? There is a lot of tooing and froing wears your sneakers out, but there is a map for those of you who don't like the exercise. I like lots of rooms. and I like the fact that it seems spread out over a wide area. I finished the demo and now have to wait for the reload. You cannot miss the SG button, no hiding from view. Good music and nice voice overs. I have been able to do the puzzles so far, but I suspect they might get harder the more we go on. We have achievements and we get to collect stuff.

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Mar 14, 13 6:54 AM
Played 45 minutes, casual

- 3 modes casual, advanced, hardcore

- Integrated SG which only shows 2 chapters

- Notebook

- Interactive map

- You get achievements throughout the game, no hint in H0, no skip in mini games, etc

- 35 hidden symbols to be found

- Soon after starting the game you get a scent catcher to create new fragrances of perfumes

- Interactive H0

- Good mini games

- Hint very useful outside H0

- Very good graphics

- Good music that fits well the game

Young women are killed and there are fragrances of perfumes all over the place. Up to you to catch the murderer. This reminds me strongly of Patrick Suskind's book, The Perfume. For me the book was a masterpiece, I just hope the game will be too as it's a straight buy !!!

Joyfullady
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,498 Posts

[Post New]by Joyfullady on Mar 14, 13 8:21 AM
Based on demo: Retired detective is asked to find out why women have gone "missing". They are found dead and dehydrated in a time of cholera. A mad man is trying to kill you and has killed others. So the atmosphere is not a pleasant one that you have arrived in. However because of all the things you are doing and the basic graphics of the game being brighter it's not as dismal as it sounds. Albeit I'd have preferred no death and mayhem. Game is more adventure then HOG. Great mini-games so far. Interactive HOGs.

Only 2 chapters were available in the integrated SG and some locations of the 35 hidden symbols "fleur de lis" . Spoiler: "look for X markings as well as the item. " Prefer to see number of chapters and if the game gets overly violent.

Interactive map, which you can turn on or off. Journal.
Lots of achievements and awards.
Extras: Wallpaper (9) some nice ones, music, concept art, all available upon purchase. Mini-games (game directions so far very good) and HOGs No skip in mini-games - but so far haven't found I needed them. No clicking penalty - yeah!
Some of the interactive characters are more mannequin quality; felt they could have been better. Accent of speaking characters do not coincide with the place and era of the setting.
The inventory can be locked in place or hidden - however the journal, scent box and catcher block part of the center of the picture and are a bit annoying.
the lag time between scenes and certain parts of game play - very annoying.
Need to have larger fonts on HOGS and in some wording; also the "X" very small for those of us with older eyes - or at least add a magnifier.

Over all the developers have created a good game; I will most likely purchase CE over SE because of the availability to replay mini games and HOG. No occult found in trial.

[Post New]by biscuitsmama on Mar 14, 13 10:34 AM
European Mystery: Scent of Desire is the story of a detective (you of course) who is trying to solve a rash of deaths of women who have been killed by dehydration. I’m finding the story quite interesting and enjoy the things I need to do in order to solve the mystery. Can you sniff out the killer?

Although some have commented on the “foggy” appearance of the graphics, I think that only some scenes appear that way and most of the game has crisp clear graphics. I like a game that is colorful, and this one certainly fits the bill for me. As a note, I found moving from scene to scene to be seamless with no time delay whatsoever. The person who commented on the game page that this was a problem may have issues related to their computer rather than the game. Along with a very nice musical score, we also have good voice-overs. The HOS are mildly challenging but not frustrating. Most of the puzzles are very enjoyable but I found one that just drove me nuts and I finally hit the skip button.

The CE edition of the game has achievements and some bonus hidden objects to be found. Pay attention, because some of them are very well hidden.

After reading some of the early reviews, I purchased the game outright and I am happy with that decision. I find Scent of Desire to be a game well-worth adding to my collection and am sure that I will play it more than once.

As a final note, I think we should all look for future games from this developer because recently they have presented some very nice games, and I think they will only get better. Kudos for a very nice, entertaining game.

Imberis
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,263 Posts

[Post New]by Imberis on Mar 14, 13 11:55 AM
Wonderful reviews, everyone! Thank you.

I'm really enjoying this game.

Pros:
+ Great graphics. Some are a little foggy/hazy in places, but for the most part everything looks crisp and bright to me.
+ Voiceovers are pretty good. Music is fine.
+ Collectibles are fun to find.
+ I appreciate that there are three game modes to choose from, and you can decide whether or not you want the map to have help indicators.
+ Puzzles are twists on the usual puzzles. I haven't seen anything terribly new, but they're still fun.
+ Hidden Object scenes have interactive parts, which I like.
+ Achievements! (Even though none seem too hard to get, and some are automatic.)
+ Wallpapers and whatnot are unlocked when you buy the game, if you enjoy using them.
+ There's a chemistry kit where you get to mix perfumes, and a bottle that helps you to collect various scents around the game.
+ No lag between scenes here for me.

Cons:
- The story isn't very inventive, but I'm glad it's in such a nice setting.
- The "bad guy" is a little weird because he keeps popping up out of nowhere!

All in all, this is a really nice game. It's nothing groundbreaking, but still quite enjoyable.

Eoarod
Flounder
Flounder
2,391 Posts

[Post New]by Eoarod on Mar 14, 13 12:08 PM
Thanks everyone for reviews - super thanks to joyfulady & imberis for your clear organization of plusses and minuses! I'm not that organized

Got to this one a little late in the day - but am glad for that because it gave me a chance to check out the tech issues thread (as I reall Web of Deceit had quite a few tech issues) - very few posts & that's a very good thing! Game runs great, quick transitiions, quick cursor and we can click throuh dialogue.

Beautiful graphics, lots of extras (my favorite - achievements ) and a very compelling story. Interesting twist with both an epidemic and a nasty, mysterious bad guy...who is really to blame?!

Found the optional interactive map a really nice new addition! Most folks love the interactive map, but nice to have the option to shut it off for those who want "uber difficulty" level!

Great music and VOs as well. I'm on the fence with the "what can I use here" black box info *sigh*. On the one hand the game isn't blindingly easy, on the other - yep, kind of tired of reading that lol! Maybe a "tool" icon vs. a magnifying glass so you would know an action is needed without the constant reminder? Hey - really had to search for a negative, that's a good sign!

Upshot - another great game from a dev we are beginning to know and love. Give this one a go!

Happy Gaming!

Edited on 03/14/2013 at 12:09:17 PM PST

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on Mar 14, 13 1:07 PM
I really enjoyed the demo of this game. The graphics are nice, the music not annoying and the voice overs are done well. The HO's are pretty easy and the puzzles are difficult enough but not too difficult that I used the skip button. My only dilemma is CE or SE....

ladygem6
Herring
Herring
391 Posts

[Post New]by ladygem6 on Mar 14, 13 2:40 PM
I knew I would probably like this game, and I do, but I didn't really think it would be enough to make we want to buy another CE, which I've bought too many already but love CE's, and now it looks like I'll have to. My trial play ended with someone shooting the perfume guy and now I have to find out if he is ok or what. Crazy time for the trial version to be up!

The puzzles are good and I really like the music, and yes, as someone said, it has gruesome undertones concerning young women being murdered. There are good hidden object games and pretty nice puzzles as well, not too hard but difinitely not easy.

So....I am thinking carefully as it looks to be a really good game and I'm eager to get back and find out what happened. Now I just have to adjust my budget so I can afford it.

Enjoy all!

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Mar 14, 13 4:11 PM
A fun game and like that it has a map where you can click on where you want to go. Graphics are great and like the puzzles I have played. Hints reload fast and story line is good too. Something to keep us interested and involved in the story. I have both of the other games and like them as well. Great job and it will be a buy for me. Give it 4 out of 5 stars..

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Mar 14, 13 6:07 PM
An okay game. They have provided some new innovations such as the decision to use a map or not. Not a great fan of this dev. I do not like their graphics. I am also not a fan of their storylines. However, this game is decent and it has some new elements in it. I will wait for the SE on this one.

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Mar 15, 13 8:05 AM
This game can literally get u addicted. Through the 1hr trial I did not used any strategy guide, except the door with the 6 girls holding hands (u are supposed to click such that all the girls are holding hands in order to open the door).

Hints are recharged very fast but I played in casual mode. As usual it has an interactive map which I didnt even try to explore or try to jump anywhere, a journal, inventory etc. Mini Puzzles were easy and fun to do. Those that hate the lock puzzle will maybe either scratch their heads or go for the strategy guide, or mail a help message here,

ITS WORTH IT!, buy it and the series is up for grabs as well!
I am not sure I like the scent making mini game. I meant its ok to play thru, its easy, but u actually need the scent of death to make ???? scent (AH......scream,.....). I for one will run far away and NOT collect scent of death and whats not nasty scents.

But its fun, and after the mini "scare" factor of this scent making recipe, u would love it too!

BUY!

mrssharon
Guppy
Guppy
192 Posts

Not the Best Game I've Played

[Post New]by mrssharon on Mar 15, 13 10:26 AM
This was a very slow-paced game. The graphics were blurry and half-dark. Hard to see the items you needed to collect in HOS. The music was soft and made me rather sleepy.

One puzzle didn't even let me know I'd completed it. Most games make it obvious with a noise or sparkles or at least a ta-da! Not so this game. I sat confused wondering if I had to play a second round or if I'd gotten it wrong.

It was obvious what the storyline was, but there was no logic to advancing. It seemed as though you could "work" some scenes and knew you'd eventually have to go back, but it was difficult to know what it would lead to.

I felt it was boring and didn't hold my interest at all. I quit the demo after only 22 minutes. No pizzazz, no sale.

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Mar 15, 13 2:22 PM
I so wanted to write that "Scent of Desire" stinks ,

-- but it doesn't. It appears to be a good game, leaning more toward adventure than hidden object.

There is an interactive map, which is definitely needed because there are a lot of areas and without it you would be doing a lot of back tracking.

The storyline of poisoning and "dehydrated corpses" is dark, but thankfully the visuals are not overly graphic.

Sprattie
Herring
Herring
315 Posts

[Post New]by Sprattie on Mar 16, 13 6:49 PM
I completed almost 45 minutes of the demo and finally just drifted away.

The storyline was interesting but the characters wooden and dull. Some story elements have been done so many times, like the mask. Graphics were hazy and I think meant to be that way; nothing really caught my eye as being attractive or realistic. Music was fairly attractive and not irritating at all.

Game play was nothing new - cluttered HOs with some interaction - and puzzles that were fairly simple, except for one that I just skipped on out of boredom. The map was confusing but I think would have been useful if I had spent some time studying it and figuring out where everything was. Not inclined to waste time at the beginning of the demo and ran out of interest at the end.

I missed out on the collectible symbols - only found out about those now reading some of the other reviews. The chemistry was a total turnoff for me, yes that's a very subjective response but I hated chemistry in high school and that still colours my feelings all these years later.

There was a frequent time lag that really seemed to add up, especially after clicking on the scents with the scent bottle. Unfortunately all the minuses here add up to a non-purchase for me.

Go to: