Kuddles3
Guppy
Guppy
136 Posts

Which Quests should we avoid completing?

[Post New]by Kuddles3 on Mar 15, 13 9:34 AM

I am enjoying this game, apart from the problem which everyone seems to have of very short playing times due to lack of Energy, but am realising that there is a minefield of strategy involved in progressing successfully.

I have read every thread in this forum and I have now seen several posts advising us not to click on Quests, as we then lose these items which may be needed later for future quests, or as chargers.

In particular, I saw that someone “lost” 20 blood phials this way, which seem to be required for entry into the Vampire Castle every time.

I have found the sticky posts showing very helpful lists which Matahari24 and hqiu have compiled relating to Locations of Items, and Where to Use Them, but those do not seem to cover this, and I am finding it difficult to work out what lies ahead in the game.

Is there a list of which items we should stockpile/conserve for future use? In other words, which quests should we avoid clicking on, and how do we know when it is safe to complete them?

I am still in the early stages of the game - and am now almost frightened to open up or complete ANY quest in case I "use up" something which will be more useful for later quests, chargers or bartering!

Matahari24
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,046 Posts

Re:Which Quests should we avoid completing?

[Post New]by Matahari24 on Mar 15, 13 9:09 PM
Hey Kuddles3 and welcome to the pond!

You don't really have to avoid completing some quests. You can just delay clicking or tapping on their thumbnail picture after their completion.
Details: some items are often needed a lot, as chargers to craft collections, such as claws, fairy's wings or items used for bartering/banishing with the floaters, such as silver arrows or clay signs.
If a quest is asking for them and you gather (or you already have the number required) and the word "complete" appears next to the quest thumbnail you can use/spend all the items gathered crafting your collections or bartering with the floaters without them dissapearing from the already completed quest! Otherwise, if you dont use them, by clicking on the completed quest, you will lose them (the number demanded by the quest of course).

Items very useful that I would use before I tapped on the completed quest:
Clay signs (for bartering with the Renegrade pangolins)
Silver arrows (for banishing Assassins and Vampire bats)
Bombs (for bartering with the Pirates)
Sea projectors (for banishing Ghosts)
Machetes (for banishing Lemutes)
Mirrors (for bartering with Hunters)
Shackles (for banishing Criminals)
Flying carpets (for bartering with Yogis)
Hunting horns (for banishing Wolves)
(Signal flares for banishing Vultures I wouldn't care much, but if you are at the beginning and you havent completed the banishing 500 vultures Achievement, you could use them as well. The same with the Geiger counters for the Androids).

Also valuable items for charging collections
-Claws
-unicorn's horn (if a quest comes at the beginning when you will have really few. Later in the game you will not mind because eventually you will have a lot of them).
-Ribbons
-Fairy's wings

Also valuable is the werewolf blood that is used as a key to exploring the Vampire castle each time. It depends when this quest appears to you, but if you are further in the game maybe it is not worth it to wait to use it all. Explore, let's say,25 times the Vampire castle (you will need a lot of Energy for this), than just bear to lose 10 or 15 blood bottles. Your call!

Other items as dried geckos, skulls, eagle feathers, radiators, silver plates, torches: don't bother, because they are not used anywhere else.

Finally I wouldn't worry about items as accumulators, rivets, multi -tools, golden keys, old buttons, spades, spool of wire. They are being used as chargers less often and they come more frequently.
Hope this helps.

Edited on 03/15/2013 at 9:22:15 PM PST

Laurafj
Guppy
Guppy
174 Posts

[Post New]by Laurafj on Mar 16, 13 9:04 AM

Great information, matahari. The only change I would make is to put 'old button' in the 'useful' category. They don't drop for me too often and they are needed for several collections, most importantly (for me) being the Detective Collection which yields 560 experience.

Lesmizfan
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by Lesmizfan on Mar 16, 13 8:56 PM
Oddly everyone's rare stuff is different. Don't worry about saving stuff. It's often better to use stuff that way it isn't sitting there. Most of us didn't realize we could use items before hitting complete for a quest so we all lost a bunch of stuff early on. If you have the items charge the collection or go explore an area, charged collections count for quests later so that is a better way to get ahead. Banish floaters as u have the items they trade for. If you get a banish floater quest you can accumulate more then. Eventually you will get to the collections everyone is stuck on where you have to charge a bunch of collections and nothing drops that you need. Enjoy actually being able to work on and complete quests now. Also, since everyone gets the quests in random order there is no master list compiled like other games have that will let you know what's coming. Good luck!

Kuddles3
Guppy
Guppy
136 Posts

[Post New]by Kuddles3 on Mar 17, 13 10:24 AM

Thank you so much for your replies, and the very helpful and detailed information supplied.

My mistake was in thinking that this question of “losing” items applied to EVERYTHING – whereas I now realise that it only refers to things which are in the INVENTORY under “For Collections” or “Miscellaneous” (things which are used as chargers or for bartering/banishing). Plus the blood for entering the Castle.

Just as an example, I had a quest wanting 1 pair of Jackboots, and thought that if I completed this, I would lose the Jackboots out of my Pirate Collection, but I see that this is not the case and the Jackboots are still there.

I do think that, as this is quite a complicated game, the absence of any proper instructions or Help page is a big drawback at the beginning.

I only started playing about a month ago and got to Level 16, but had been totally bewildered about how it worked and had blundered about clicking on everything willy-nilly, using up all my food, coins and diamonds as they appeared, charging the same collection several times, every time it told me it was full, instead of using the chargers on a new collection, etc.

I then found this forum and a better understanding of it all, so decided to start again and am now up to Level 8, playing a lot more cautiously – and enjoying it a lot more!

I have at last accepted that I only get to search a few locations a day and am happy to “plod along” instead of trying to rush. I see that within just a few months some of you are nearly finished what is currently available, so figure there is plenty of time.

Matahari24
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,046 Posts

[Post New]by Matahari24 on Mar 17, 13 10:45 AM
You are right Kuddles3, you probably have plenty of time ahead of you! No rush!
We that are more advanced, are now just playing with no actual goals to achieve or rewards to get...

You are also right: dont spend you diamonds here and there! As you level up you will need a lot of "food" in order to be able to play.

If you haven't already one it, there is a helpful "sticky" discussion by Robin, named Multiple goals. You may find some useful advice there.

Happy gaming! Enjoy!

Edited on 03/17/2013 at 10:46:42 AM PST

Go to: