bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Reviews for Gardens Inc.: From Rakes to Riches

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Mar 18, 13 1:39 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Gardens Inc.: From Rakes to Riches? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Gardens Inc.: From Rakes to Riches page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBiwa

bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Re:Reviews for Gardens Inc.: From Rakes to Riches

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Mar 18, 13 1:39 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBiwa

Livibop
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by Livibop on Mar 18, 13 3:30 AM
I think this game is cute!

It's kind of a mix of a gardening game and a "roads of rome" type builder game.

Maybe it's just that I'm so desperate for a good time management game, but I am enjoying this game.

jojo_the_joyful
Salmon
Salmon
2,761 Posts

[Post New]by jojo_the_joyful on Mar 18, 13 5:08 AM
Good morning all.

Joy of Joys, a new TM game.

I would consider my self an experienced ( and quite good) TM player, but this one is challenging and I love it !!!!

It is not a clickfest, although there is plenty you need to click on, and you can line up chores which helps, ...or does it

I have played 10 levels and only got 3 gold. Normally I replay & replay until i get gold before moving on, but this game is so different, I wanted to get the feel of it before restarting & getting my gold scores.

So far the upgrades have been pretty rapid, but not all of them are useful at the time, and often the useful buildings are quite a way away.

Basically this is a strategy game where you have to work out which way to go first, and what upgrades to do first.

The timer seems generous & you can just play on if you fail silver and you can replay any level at any time, being offered that option at the end of the level as well as on the map.

Your goal is to restore your Grandparents garden & villa with all your earnings and that is costly.

There are also clues to gain bonus points, such as "This customer likes symmetry" or "this customer likes stripes" I think I got that right most of the time, but I didn't see a specific bonus being accredited.

All in all, a very tricky but extremely enjoyable game, with a difference.

I hope many others will enjoy it as much as I am.

Jojo

ETA:

The story !!!!

I got hooked right from the first little scenes & just knew I needed to know what led to the events we saw AND what will happen afterwards. Its all very intriguing

Edited on 03/18/2013 at 5:13:10 AM PST

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Mar 18, 13 6:01 AM
this is a really good different kind of builder, there are 50 levels, each has a secret bonus, i hope it play smooth for all,, even tho i allready bought elsewhere, if it plays smooth, i would actually rebuy it here...will be watching closley when you all get into the upper 20,s levels..

[Post New]by CasualGamePlayer on Mar 18, 13 6:52 AM
A very fun strategy/TM/Builder/ game with a wee bit of a mystery in the mix as well. Those that know the Roads of Rome series, Gardenscapes series. Royal Envoy and Farm Tribe will recognise bits of those games in this new game - that said this game seems to have it’s own spin on things and I’ve enjoyed playing the demo and will be buying as I am keen to continue.

I won’t go into the details as JoJo has done an excellent job of that already, but I too really appreciate the ability to queue tasks, and continue playing after the gold time expired. So far the game play was smooth and tasks/instructions are clear. In addition, I thought it was a nice touch to have little puzzles and hints before each level it added a little extra to the game play. I can see that the developer wanted to make the storyline and tasks unique in their game all the while continuing in the great Strategy/TM/Builder tradition.

It’s a buy for me. All I can say is if you enjoyed any of the above mentioned games give this game a try you may find yourself getting quite involved and want to continue playing. Sadly, I have to get back to work so will have to wait to play but I look forward to playing and getting gold....eventually. Happy Gaming.

Edited on 03/18/2013 at 7:01:01 AM PST

Csustar
Clownfish
Clownfish
565 Posts

[Post New]by Csustar on Mar 18, 13 9:53 AM
Whoopeeeee! A TM/strategy game. Did the trial and can see it will be a challenge to get some of the levels in gold time. jojo did a great job for a review and I ditto all she said. Love to be able to que up the jobs. Now see if I can get gold for the levels.

minesita
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,975 Posts

[Post New]by minesita on Mar 18, 13 10:07 AM
What a nice game!!! But not to me , I'm very bad with timed games. When I was in chapter 4, I couldn't be silver!!!
Its a game more complete than Island Tribe and others, I bet many people will be happy today !
For the fishes who like it good luck !

MsHamster
Lobster
Lobster
87 Posts

[Post New]by MsHamster on Mar 18, 13 11:37 PM
Only half way thru the demo and I'm really enjoying this one. Will likely buy it!

barbiecats2000
Catfish
Catfish
1,668 Posts

[Post New]by barbiecats2000 on Mar 19, 13 6:56 AM
I bought this game but it's just about impossible to get gold and even silver on some levels so far. The game allows you to play on but the money to fix up the house is minimal compared to what it costs. I'm just going to play to see what happens.

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Mar 19, 13 7:05 AM
This is a fun fun TMG game. Its different, with water shed, hot house (that produces seeds) and wood shed, (lumber), stone and Tool shed. Its similar in some ways, and different in others. There is the ability to accumulate $ to fix the house and its surroundings. (similar to my kingdom for the princess, rescue team)

Its different coz you had picked up tools to work and seeds to plant, and at later stage build a water shed to water the plants (no sprinkler???). I played thru 1 hr, and just couldnt get enough.

Its 20% off and its time to either buy it or get with free stamps.

tinyzac
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by tinyzac on Mar 19, 13 7:14 AM
gee big fish dont you beta check your games anymore? i have problems coming out of my ears you were once so reliable with your games but if this keeps up i will have to unsubscribe as i did with another site rakes to riches is agreat game how much better it would be without bugs like when you plant a garden and the bonus sign pops up the game slows right down so you cannot complete the level in time this happens every time i win some thing there is no way i can get gold all i can say is not happy big fish . is there something you can do as i would like gold on some levels of the game

lovemybook
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by lovemybook on Mar 19, 13 7:27 AM
I've played this game all the way through on gold level, and it is NOT easy. Now the disclaimer - I love these type of games (pathway building TM), and so I'm biased coming in. But this one is great. It kept me occupied for days. It has the additional extra goal of building a colored garden correctly using a riddle hint, which adds something different yet relevant.

It is NOT easy. It is probably the most challenging pathway game I've played. You can cue actions, which I like, and I'm not a fan of the ghosts (irritating) but you really do need a strategy to win each level in gold. You can't just "play it" - each level has a challenge that you need to understand and plan for. For instance, a level may be short on work points, so that level you will need to build gardens first and/or use the fast work points bonus rather than any of the other bonuses that at first glance seem more satisfying. It did take me a while to understand that the gold statues were valuable to gameplay - by building them you increase work points much faster - and that was not clear from the directions. It is also imperative to upgrade, especially tools and water buildings. If you don't upgrade, the levels just won't work out. You can't get by without rapid upgrading - make it a priority while playing.

Another thing I liked about this game is that it is also not too clicky- my wrists won't let me play clicky games. Strategy wins this one, not clicking fast. The graphics are nice and clear (a pet peeve of mine - if you are playing a strategy game it is important to know what is going on at one glance) the music isn't too irritating, and every level seems to have a unique challenge, as far as these games go.

Excellent game. I highly recommend it.

Edited on 03/19/2013 at 7:30:37 AM PST

Cromaxgal
Clownfish
Clownfish
730 Posts

[Post New]by Cromaxgal on Mar 19, 13 10:55 PM
I LOVE this game. But will wait to use my free punch after the 1st of the month so I can put it toward next month's punch card. It's got everything I love. Now I didn't play long enough as the hour whizzed by so don't know how hard the higher levels are. But I usually play several times before I can get gold.

Lord_Lollipop
Guppy
Guppy
130 Posts

[Post New]by Lord_Lollipop on Mar 20, 13 4:16 AM
This game is no different than a hundred others that came before.

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Mar 21, 13 5:28 PM

I really enjoyed this game even with the aggravation of not being able to have control of the cursor starting aroud level 29.

I am not a TMer and didn't cry if I didn't get gold . On the last 10 levels due to severe problems with the cursor I struggled to finish my levels at all - one level I played for over 30 minutes. My cursor would just disappear at times and I had to wait for it to show itself again!

Still, I will not ask for a refund (even though this game was aggravating ...and my BP got a little high at times) because I finally played the whole game.

Since the problem of the floating, uncontrollable cursor isn't demonstrated until later levels, the demo is not a fair representation of how the whole game will play on anyone's specific computer.

I wouldn't recommend this game to anyone unless the dev at least gives the option of using the system cursor instead of the game cursor....it might help a little.

Edited on 03/21/2013 at 5:28:42 PM PST

nivlem007
Guppy
Guppy
163 Posts

[Post New]by nivlem007 on Mar 22, 13 4:17 PM
I found this game very interesting and a mixture of most of the builder games I have played. So far I have gold on all except 2 but I am only up to level 15. Plays well, but have to click right on the spot to collect most items from the sheds. What I do not understand is that some levels I get gold and some show a ribbon and have not worked out what that means. I like the idea that you can upgrade three times in the early levels and not have to wait till you are about half way through or further. The speed ups are really fast and at times it is hard to keep up with the production one, but what fun it is to play even as an oldie who loves a challenge and this certainly is that. Great game, Great fun and I bought it yesterday which I should have waited for today when they are offering 50% off all games. Never mind still worth the full price.

[Post New]by Mudokwan on Mar 23, 13 6:56 PM
I just completed level 50 and it's a great game. I am a huge fan of TM games and it's not often we get a release out so I was very excited. This game had me hooked for so long that I've not written a review until now ( I was busy).

I also had an issue with the cursor but thought maybe it was just a tad much for my computer and suffered through. After a few tries I did get the gold through it.. and on every level!

I love love love the challenge without it being rediculously hard. I am already awaiting Gardens Inc. 2

[Post New]by CelticMouse on Mar 23, 13 8:11 PM
I was enjoying the game, don't remember what level I was on...perhaps around level 18. I clicked play from my BF Game Manager and it gave me an error of 809. So I stopped everything running in the background, even turned my pc off and then on again. Still same error and can not play the game at all. It was a great game until then. I've checked the forums and no one seems to have the same problem I do, although there seems to be other glitches other players have had to deal with. The game was just my style, I did have to replay a level a few times, but it was enjoyable. I can't stand finding a game I like, paying for it, just to have it crash after so many levels. Frustrating.

nivlem007
Guppy
Guppy
163 Posts

[Post New]by nivlem007 on Mar 24, 13 4:02 PM
Further to my previous review - I have reached level 34 and I think this is the worst so far. You need money to get more time and time to get more money. It makes no sense to me. I do not think this one is possible to get a gold on, but I would loved to hear from anyone who does...I still think it is a very good game and worth the money. You do have to think and plan ahead. please let me now if any fishes hit gold on level 34.
Thanks, and great gaming

Go to: