bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Reviews for Vampires: Todd & Jessica's Story

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Mar 19, 13 12:34 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Vampires: Todd & Jessica's Story? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Vampires: Todd & Jessica's Story page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBiwa

bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Re:Reviews for Vampires: Todd & Jessica's Story

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Mar 19, 13 12:35 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBiwa

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Mar 19, 13 4:29 AM
Played 30 minutes, casual

- 2 modes, casual, advanced

- No voice overs

- Note book

- H0, you don't interact, some items are really tiny

- Mini games really easy

- Hint, outside H0 only tells you there's nothing to do

- Good graphics

- Good piano music

Sempiternal story of a vampire in love with a mortal, will his evil vampire friend stop him from redemption ?. This can be quite an enjoyable game but get your glasses out....

[Post New]by CasualGamePlayer on Mar 19, 13 6:59 AM
This game is listed as a hidden object game and so there were more hidden object scenes than many adventure oriented games but I expected that and had no problem with the general game play. The game played smoothly with a bit of adventure, hidden object areas as well as puzzles. A good point I found is that there is a map where you can jump to the needed areas, and it looked like there were a lot of areas to explore, so possibly a reasonably length game. I am not sure if there is (will be) a walkthrough available.

The hint system is a bit unusual but I didn't find it too problematic and worked things out. As mentioned by Poutoule’s informative review, there is no voice over, I didn’t really miss it but some may find the dialogue in the cut scenes a bit old-school. Also on my laptop there was no widescreen but as it is a SE it didn’t really bother me. The graphics were good I didn’t have any problems finding objects but it may be a bit dark and therefore difficult for some.

I am a bit vamped out, so many films, books, and games with that theme, and it has never been a favourite theme of mine, but may suit people who like vampires. I don't like to be overly harsh on game developers who may be new on the scene as I think these developers may be so I will recommend for those who are interested in vampires to give it a trial. It seemed like a solid if not spectacular game. 3 ½ fangs out of 5 from me.

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Mar 19, 13 7:07 AM
Based On Demo Only

A Little Different

As always, my dreams of a top quality game on vampires (with or without romance) are disappointed. But this game is not all bad. It has its moments.

Its biggest drawback is that it moves oh so fatally slowly - literally, because each transition to a new location involves 'walking' movements in that direction. Another way the game gets slowed down is confusion about where you are. Some of the locations have viewpoints that contradict others.

The graphics are of the style I think people call cartoon, which I don't like much, but it was done very very well and colourfully.

I quite enjoyed the HOs because they looked great and were more difficult than usual. Also, they were interactive, but there was no indication on the list, so you really had to be attentive, or drive yourself nuts. But if you're used to sparkles, you'll go nuts anyway - every darned thing in the view sparkles!

I liked the puzzles and mini-games because so far, they were all dreadfully easy. I'm not good on puzzles . They seemed to flow more seamlessly into the game. As did their instructions. When you need parts of a helmet to complete a hot spot, the black bar tells you how many, and changes to match what you've done. If you need certain tools, you will see ghost images of them.

I loved the shoot-em-up bats game. And then my hour was over and I'd done almost nothing.

All of which should serve as fair warning, no matter how much of a vamp fan you are, this a weird little game that is too easy for the experienced player and too confusing for the novice.
I don’t recommend this game!

Lyvia
Minnow
Minnow
299 Posts

[Post New]by Lyvia on Mar 19, 13 9:48 AM
I didn't play long enough to write a full review. I was bored. But in the maybe ten minutes I played, I noticed one little thing that was a bit annoying. I play these games for atmosphere and the popping noise when you click on a hidden object took me out of the eerie mood that the nice graphics created. It is nothing that would stop me from buying the game if it had been more interesting and more challenging, and I'll probably buy it as a DD. But the goofy "pop" was distracting.

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Mar 19, 13 9:59 AM
This game seems to be a throwback to an earlier time. It is extremely linear, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. Easy puzzles, good graphics, interesting story line. The linearity may help beginners work their way through the game. The popping sound and the click penalty are definite drawbacks. Ordinarily I would pass on this one, but the developers did a passable job for a first effort. I will use a coupon for this to encourage them. Give the Demo a chance, especially if you are new to Hogs. It's free and you might just like it.

joyzebra
Minnow
Minnow
234 Posts

[Post New]by joyzebra on Mar 19, 13 10:02 AM
Not even worth a DD! Slow, boring, hard to see items. BOOOO!

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Mar 19, 13 10:26 AM
Graphics not bad, music very slow and boring. Game play okay, but also very slow. HOGs were a bit cluttered and some items difficult to see. Games were the usual and nothing new here. Hint refilled slowly and all it did was "rip" across the screen...didn't really help you at all.

Story was nothing new either. More of a "Twilight" rip-off and very boring. Dialogue was a bit childish and silly, although no voice overs. This game needed something to help it along, but I couldn't even finish the demo and I always do.

I have a credit about to expire, but I would rather lose it than spend it on a game that was so slow and boring. If we don't get some good SE's pretty quickly, I'm outta here! No buy for me...again and again.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find it quite enjoyable. Thanks for the reviews.

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Mar 19, 13 10:31 AM
Well, I gave this a good 20 minutes and then had to quit. The game was moving along so slowly and sluggish I was getting irritated and bored....not a good combo when playing a game.

The beginning cut scene was just plain wierd...I finally skipped it as I did the others in the few minutes I played....no voice overs and very slow...certainly wasn't able to "bond" with the characters.

Graphics and graphic annimations were good, music was slow and ponderous which didn't help. Hint was slow to recharge except during the HOS which were clear and easy to do...Just standard HOS...no interaction.

Mini games (the two I came across), were easy enough I didn't even notice a skip.

Unfortunately, even on sale this is a no buyer....needed to move along faster wasn't even sure what the story was all about. Based only on the few minutes I played the demo, I give this a 2 out of 5.

jonah11
Minnow
Minnow
211 Posts

[Post New]by jonah11 on Mar 19, 13 11:26 AM
Even with a free game no buy. Much to slow moving.

Rhysdux
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,219 Posts

[Post New]by Rhysdux on Mar 19, 13 1:14 PM
No one has mentioned the problem with the HOGs in this game. If you miss five times in a row--and that's easy, as the items are very small and impossible to magnify--then then the HOG shakes and and shivers in a vertigo-inducing way. I dislike flickering images, as they're likely to induce seizures,but this game went straight for the seizure-inducing flickering. I had to stop after about five minutes; I started feeling like I was experiencing an aura...a precursor to epileptic seizures that I haven't felt for over a decade.

This game is not only a dull, slow Twilight ripoff--it's actually hazardous to my health.

Eoarod
Flounder
Flounder
2,391 Posts

[Post New]by Eoarod on Mar 19, 13 2:31 PM
Here I sit on the fence yet again. On the one hand beautiful graphics, smooth game play, nice level of difficulty, awesome attention to details by devs - so many things to look at within the H0 scenes and without.

On the other - the story. Now, vampires aren't my "thing" (well not since I read Interview With...) so this is highly subjective and my opinion only! I think you really, really have to like vampire stories to get into the plot on this one. Also most of the games we see have a pretty "grab you by the shirt" opening...you need to save a life, or solve a crime while the criminal is still afoot, or you're jumping through time, etc. This plot lacks that "life and death" urgency we are used to.

I think this stands as an uber winner for folks who have an affinity for the theme, and a dev I'm not familiar with - so this could be the start of some new great games!

If the subject doesn't flip your switch - give the game a go and see which side of the fence you land on!

Happy Gaming!

minesita
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,975 Posts

[Post New]by minesita on Mar 19, 13 3:43 PM
Well, to buy or not to buy it?
I like the difficulty to playing it, because the hint system is very weird, and when you need to open a door for instance, you have to do odd combinations, and finally you are in the house. This is some fun, if you got the idea what item you need to use and when.
I like the vampires thing, and may be the story will be interesting.
Cons: So many HO and difficult to me, the objects are so small and is having a slow hint refill.
I have several PCC, but without WL. will be a frustation to finish this game.
Also, the game is so slow, and many times I get lost.
I asked in another post is somebody finished it, I didn't get any answer, I guess is not too short.
I dislike the click penalty ! Not Devs. are doing this now!

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Mar 19, 13 8:15 PM
Gosh, doesn't love bite? Wow to find out the love of your life has major issues with just being alive! Anyway, this game is not very "adorable." This game is for for soap opera groupies who like HOG games. Not for me. I played about fifteen minutes before giving up on it. I still have part of a CE to finish. This is a new dev I believe. There are no voice overs. I agree that the HOG scenes are horrible and I have a very large screen. Very difficult to find some items. Since I hate games which are strictly one HOG scene after another, I am going to pass on this one. The graphics are cartoons. Looks very dated as well.

sleeplady
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by sleeplady on Mar 19, 13 9:11 PM
What a snooze fest! Slow, clunky and things seem backwards at times. I only lasted 20 minutes and for my $ NOT even as a DD.

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Mar 19, 13 9:14 PM
I quite like this game with its unique puzzles, HOS is junk pile, but ok to find. Storyline is ok, but cursor movement is lagging. Most frustrating was I came towards the end of the game whereby I need to make a potion to cure Jessica. I skipped it and loh and behold, I dont hv the potion and I cant re-do and the game was making me go circles with comments "There is nothing to do in this area"

I started with another profile, very carefully did the potion mini game and got the potion to cure Jessica. There are some technology glitches in this game,

SPOILERS ALRERT
* Highlight to read
eg, I completed the map before talking to the priest. He asked for the map. When I clicked on the completed map to give to him, the game refuses to allow me to do so. It kept opening the map and nothing happens. I went out of Jessica's house, then went in again and click on the map again, again it opens up, but this time, the priest had mark the place where Todd's brother had kept Jessica's prisoner.

Other than this, its quite an acceptable game and not too difficult to play through. The HINT can be a hindrance as it sometimes kept pointing u to that direction when u dont hv the appropriate inventory to solve it yet!

I completed the game in abt 2.5hrs or so. I skipped the game whereby I had to use a fishing rod to open the door's latch. I completed all the frustrating mini games like shooting bats, shooting garlics, etc pretty well.

PS: Margie if u are reading this (or any BFG admin), could u kindly teach me how to do a youtube video walkthrough? I am keen to provide this help with this game or some other games in future whereby there's no walkthrough.

Edited on 03/19/2013 at 9:17:48 PM PST

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Mar 20, 13 12:16 AM
From yet another dev that I'm not familiar with comes another vampire story----one of my favorite story lines.

And this one is sort of a throwback to older games. There is no widescreen, there are lots of HOS, and the game moves at a leisurely and thoughtful type pace. But, with a closer look, there is quite a bit to like here. The story (if this sort of thing appeals to you) is interesting enough, the puzzles are good, and the in game tasks are different and appealing.

The graphics, curiously, seem to get better as you move deeper into the game. At first, I thought the objects to find were a bit small----but later in the game this was not a problem at all and the items were easy to see. And, overall, the graphics are fine.

So, I'll get this one for sure----but it is not for those that require instant gratification or are easily bored. So, as always, try for yourself and see----and thanks to BF for providing us with that opportunity, as always!

Msjoie
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by Msjoie on Mar 21, 13 5:10 PM
I thought this was a great game. There are a lot of 'hogs' in this game but that is what the game is. Some items in the 'hogs' are quite small but hint button helps there. If it says "Try somewhere else" and "There is nothing to do here" when you use the hint button, then try going somewhere else or doing something else. There are some items that need to be combined to use them. Some of the mini games were easy but they were fun too. There are some challenges in this game that take some brain work but none of it is impossible or too hard to figure out. I finished it without a walk-through and I don't consider myself a game wizard. It's definitely not a one hour game, it takes longer then that, and I am grateful because I got my money's worth out of it. All in all it's a pretty fun game. I am very glad that I bought it. No disappointment here at all.

[Post New]by Underthebridge on Mar 22, 13 2:10 PM
OMG...I found myself half asleep on this one....Yaaaaaaaaaaawn...sorry no buy for me, even with a map..it may show you what is on site, but doesn't tell you where to go and after I took the bats to the man on the bridge, then I visited every spot and the vamp was telling me nothing to do here, check another area, well there was nothing to do...so I got out...

Go to: