bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Scrabble

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Mar 20, 13 12:29 AM
The fantastically fun crossword game is now specially designed for your PC or Mac. Build words using letter tiles and enjoy quick, easy-to-learn controls and fantastic features. Play solo, compete with the computer, or challenge up to three friends in a Hot Seat challenge. Choose from a variety of game styles. Adjust the difficulty level when you play the computer. Track your best words and top scores, and chart your progress to become the best SCRABBLE player you can be.

CelticCoco
Clownfish
Clownfish
514 Posts

Re:Scrabble

[Post New]by CelticCoco on Mar 20, 13 12:40 AM
One of my all-time favorite games! I had a previous computer version of this (won't run on Vista) and have it on my phone. Probably buy it once I have extra credit. Saving up for the new Puppetshow game right now. Love love love it!

Played one full round - beat the computer!

CelticCoco

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Mar 20, 13 1:33 AM
Hi there CelticCoco,
I need another go-to game, so have decided to give this one at least a trial. I have been disappointed with the versions of other board-games offered, but if you can beat the computer, well this could be good news (unless the challenge level has been lowered or something).
Fast DL as it is such a small file.
Off to give it a crack.
Cheers

Kegggie
Guppy
Guppy
168 Posts

[Post New]by Kegggie on Mar 20, 13 1:58 AM
I have an older version of Srabble that plays on my Vista laptop but requires the CD-Rom (with a copy of the original green cover on it) to be loaded each time so I think I will give this a try later. Meanwhie, does anyone know which dictionary this new program uses or do you get a choice between English and American English spelling?

[Post New]by alvertis5706 on Mar 20, 13 2:43 AM
@Kegggie: The dictionary in this one isn't defined; you just type your word in and hit the "enter" key, and it tells you if the word is valid or not. When you bring up the dictionary, it also has a list of common 2- letter words listed.
One thing that I didn't like, and that I disabled in the options, is the "best word" function. It automatically puts in the best word for you...so it's basically just watching the computer play.
(I also have that box version which had to always have a cd in; I've been waiting for a straight pc version!)

peeshee_1951
Stingray
Stingray
5,444 Posts

[Post New]by peeshee_1951 on Mar 20, 13 11:30 AM
This looks to be a great one for the IPAD/IPHONE for those boring waiting times!
For me a go to game, like solitaire, when you've nothing good to play. Always entertaining IMO. Will spend a PCC for laptop and go look at what's available for IPAD

Mojave_Rain
Shark
Shark
10,693 Posts

[Post New]by Mojave_Rain on Mar 20, 13 1:01 PM
I'm over the moon here! Plays right and the dictionary seems at least to be the standard Scrabble one unlike so many word games which have substandard, very limited dictionaries. Yippppppppeeeeeeeeeeeeee

[Post New]by alvertis5706 on Mar 20, 13 1:38 PM
It doesn't offer to switch between different types of dictionaries. However, I wonder if it's different depending on what country you are downloading to. In the starred reviews, one reviewer from the UK complains that she couldn't use the word "qua;; but for me, in the US, it came up as a "valid" word. She also complained that the CPU player used the non-existent word ( according to the Oxford dictionary) "wive", but I found it defined in the Merriam-Webster dictionary, and it came up "valid" in the game dictionary.
ETA: On another game site, this game is designated "for sale only in U.S. and Canada". Maybe the dictionary isn't valid for other countries, including the UK.

Edited on 03/21/2013 at 12:10:06 AM PST

flossytj
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by flossytj on Mar 21, 13 1:44 AM
i love scrabble ( sad sack that I am!! ) and really enjoyed playing the game. As mentioned before, there seems to be alot of words that are in everyday use ( in England ) that are either unacceptable or they have the American spelling, which makes the game a bit frustrating ! but as a whole a good game and definitely made a change from the usual HOS/adventure games.

Kegggie
Guppy
Guppy
168 Posts

[Post New]by Kegggie on Mar 21, 13 11:10 AM
Having now tried the program, it appears to be based on the North American version of the game. Hasbro who own the rights have changed some of the original colours of the squares on the board and have used their own dictionary.

Like Alvertis5706, I am surprised that Big Fish Games are allowed to sell this game outside North America as Mattel own the Scrabble rights in the rest of the world. Mattel use a Collins dictionary. Collins also produce the official world list of words for used in tournaments, including the world championship, according to information on the online enclclopaedia Wikipedia.

MrsClock
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by MrsClock on Mar 22, 13 6:44 PM
I need to know how to end the game if the computer and I both keep passing and it does not seem to end. I had to back out of a few games because neither of us could win. I do not see a "I give up" button.
Am I just not understanding how to end a game in a tie(as far as each of us having only one tile each left)?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Grandma

[Post New]by alvertis5706 on Mar 25, 13 12:20 PM
Under "game styles" in the Help section, it says under Classic game, that it will end after 6 consectutive zero turns.....I had one of these, but I didn't notice if the computer and player each have to have 6 turns (passes) , or if it's 6 passes total between the two. (I think it was 6 passes for each).

ETA: I tested it, and the computer and player each had to "pass" 3 times for the game to end.

Edited on 03/27/2013 at 9:02:05 PM PST

[Post New]by seagoinya on Mar 28, 13 5:51 PM
I have played 6 games so far and only won one. I think the CPU has an unfair advantage. I am usually great at word games. This game might be rigged?

Go to: