bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Post any Secrets of the Dark: Mystery of the Ancestral Estate CE technical issues here only

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Mar 21, 13 12:41 AM
If you are having problems getting the game to work correctly, we highly recommend going to our Help pages. Using our Help pages is always the quickest way to get technical problems resolved. Here are a few suggested articles that have helped many people correct these types of problems in the past:

Game Crashing, Freezing, or Blank Screen
Game Compatibility

While we can offer a known solution for technical issues in the Forums, or other tech savvy pond residents can swim by with good tips and suggestions, we cannot provide the same excellent level of support provided by our Customer Support team.

The Forums are not very well suited for the kinds of information gathering and troubleshooting that get these types of issues corrected quickly.

If there is a problem with the game, our Support Team can also gather necessary information on what types of computers are being affected by the problem and deliver this information to the developer for a fix.

If you are not able to get a game working properly using our Help pages, please get in touch with our Customer Support team, you can find a link to contact our Support team on the front page of our Help pages.

When posting in this thread and also when contacting our Support Team, it would be helpful if you could state what system you are playing the game on (i.e. PC, MAC or Mobile), so we can provide you with the appropriate support as quickly as possible.

*Finally, please reserve this thread for tech issues only. If you are seeking game play assistance (i.e. hints and tips), the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the game's Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion.'

Edited on 03/21/2013 at 12:46:25 AM PST

annedelny
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

Re:Post any Secrets of the Dark: Mystery of the Ancestral Estate CE technical issues here only

[Post New]by annedelny on Mar 21, 13 2:46 AM
I can't get the game to play full screen - it has black bars top and bottom. Tried everything - all the screen resolution sizes on my computer, clicking on the Aspect Ratio on the game options, nothing works. Such a shame as I love Orneon and have both the other Secrets of the Dark games which played with full screens.

bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Re:Post any Secrets of the Dark: Mystery of the Ancestral Estate CE technical issues here only

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Mar 21, 13 2:49 AM
Heya annedelny, welcome to the Pond!

As all the settings on your computer don't help it could be that the driver for your graphic card could do with a little update. You can easily do this with the steps you can find here.

If this doesn’t help, our Technical Support will be more than happy to have a further look at this with you so you can enjoy your game again! To get help faster it would be a great help if you could include a Dr. Felix report. You can contact them 24/7 by clicking on the green envelope at the top-right of this page. On the next page you can find the Contact Us link on the bottom-left.

I hope this helps!

bfgBiwa

jagel
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by jagel on Mar 21, 13 2:50 AM
Same for me, black bars and clicking accept ratio do not help.
No widescreen=no buy.

ElderJen
Lobster
Lobster
83 Posts

[Post New]by ElderJen on Mar 21, 13 4:31 AM
Oh dear, I am so not having luck this week with the new games. I have downloaded and redownloaded this game, done a system check and a driver check. Everything is as it should be but when I open this game, up comes the black page with 'Out of Range' on it. I can see the screen page in the icon in the task bar... with two black bars top and bottom, but when I click on the icon to open it fully, it gives the out of range message again. I have Windows 7. Is my screen resolution in need of changing? I rarely have this kind or problem.

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Mar 21, 13 4:41 AM
Hi ElderJen,

I'm sorry you are running into so much bother!

That 'out of range' error message indicates an incompatibility with the refresh rate, which essentially means that the monitor cannot be adjust correctly to the game.

As you have mentioned that your are all up to date already, my best suggestion would be to run a Dr. Felix Diagnostic Report and then send that over to our Tech Support Team so the can have a look into this with you.

When you have issues with a number of games it is always a good idea to have a closer look at things and I am sure the Team will get to the bottom of this!

Best of luck!

bfgBaikal

[Post New]by chassfizz on Mar 21, 13 4:47 AM
annedelny wrote:I can't get the game to play full screen - it has black bars top and bottom. Tried everything - all the screen resolution sizes on my computer, clicking on the Aspect Ratio on the game options, nothing works. Such a shame as I love Orneon and have both the other Secrets of the Dark games which played with full screens.

I'm using Windows 7 and am having exactly the same problem with black bars top and bottom. I've got an up to date video card etc. so I think it's got nothing to do with my PC. Sounds like a programming problem.

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Mar 21, 13 4:53 AM
Hi Fishies,

Welcome to the Pond chassfizz!

If you are seeing black bars on your game's display and have already tried the suggestions offered for these issues already, please don't hesitate to contact Tech Support for further assistance by clicking on the green to the right of the page.

They will be glad to assist you and provide some more specific advice.

We are very limited as to the support we can offer via the Forums hence, that team will be glad to help you out. Also, they can also provide some alternative solutions such as replacing the game if you understandably, would prefer to play another.

I hope this information is helpful!

bfgBaikal

Susu2
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by Susu2 on Mar 21, 13 6:18 AM
love this game but it is lagging. Any ideas why this happens. I have updated everything on my computer. This is the first game in a long time that this has happened. Thanks in advance for any ideas

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Mar 21, 13 6:58 AM
Hi Susu2,

I know how frustrating it is to have a game lag so I am happy to offer some help today.

I would firstly recommend double checking to see if you can run any graphical updates, as even a few simple updates can make a vast improvement. Newer games can be quite quite sensitive, needing the most up to date drivers to perform correctly so the help article here will help you check that.

If you know that your computer is up to date and would like some more specific advice on this though, please contact our Tech Support Team, they will be happy to look more closely at what is going on here and will provide advice specific to your machine.

If you have the time please run and include a Dr. Felix Diagnostic Report in that mail so that we can start helping you right away.

I hope this helps a bit!

bfgBaikal

Edited on 03/21/2013 at 7:28:37 AM PST

[Post New]by baglady159 on Mar 21, 13 8:01 AM
I haven't even been able to try it. As soon as it downloaded, it said that my trial had expired. Going to try uninstalling and reinstalling and see if it works. Really want to play this game.

Keepin_on
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by Keepin_on on Mar 21, 13 8:15 AM
Quick tip to those unable to play full-screen: In the options menu, check the "aspect ratio" box. This works in Windows Vista (great for gaming), but I don't know if it will work the same for later Windows versions. Hope this helps! Have a great day all!

Also should mention that this is the first BFG game with which I've ever experienced download trouble. Actually had to pause the download, dump it and start over--AFTER running all my usual utilities (defrag, registry defrag, memory optimization, etc.) and making sure all my drivers, etc. were up-to-date. That said, the game then downloaded in less than 5 minutes, my usual download time even with games that run a gig or more in size. So, since downloading was an issue, I was unsure about how the game would play. But the demo played perfectly without a single glitch, lag, or any kind of problem. Having worked with computers all during my working life, I can strongly recommend that the utilities and steps I mention here be performed at least once a week. Doing this has saved me tons of headaches that all us gamers experience with frequent downloading/installation of lots of games. Above all, IMHO, there are loads of freebie utilities that do a far better (and faster) job than those installed with Windows.

Edited on 03/21/2013 at 8:36:08 AM PST

bfgIzara
Flounder
Flounder
2,151 Posts

[Post New]by bfgIzara on Mar 21, 13 9:35 AM
Thanks so much for those expert tips, Keepin_on, and very happy to hear that you were able to get that demo up and running OK!

baglady159: If uninstalling and reinstalling the demo doesn't help to get it working properly one of our Reps will be happy to take a closer look and suggest some other options. To reach them, please click on the green to the right of the page and then select the Contact Us link to the bottom left.

Thanks again and happy gaming!

bfgIzara

[Post New]by baglady159 on Mar 21, 13 10:08 AM
bfglzara: thanks for the advice but after I uninstalled and reinstalled properly it now shows I can play it.

bfgSeine
Stingray
Stingray
5,158 Posts

[Post New]by bfgSeine on Mar 21, 13 11:03 AM
Hi baglady159,

That's great to hear reinstalling the game worked!

Happy gaming,

bfgSeine

herchev68
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by herchev68 on Mar 21, 13 12:22 PM
I have a black bar on the top and on the left. /Game will not center , writing is cut off on the right side. I have uninstalled and reinstalled no change still have the same problem. What can I do ?

bfgIzara
Flounder
Flounder
2,151 Posts

[Post New]by bfgIzara on Mar 21, 13 12:38 PM
Hey there herchev68,

I would try hitting the 'Auto' button on your monitor if that's available since that can help get those games centered. If that doesn't do the trick then adjusting the screen resolution may help get the game displaying correctly.

I would definitely also reach out to Tech Support with a Dr. Felix and one of our Reps will work with you directly on some helpful troubleshooting steps.

Just click here and submit an email to reach them. Live Chat Support is also available Monday-Friday 7:30am-4:30pm PST if you're a Big Fish Game Club member.

I hope this helps!

bfgIzara

bevaa72
Starfish
Starfish
58 Posts

[Post New]by bevaa72 on Mar 21, 13 4:18 PM
I tried to download the trail version but it went so damn slow.. but, based on the reviews of other players, I decided to buy and download it... STILL DOWNLOAD. not bother to transfer to Game Manger. What is going on???

Vallarina
Guppy
Guppy
111 Posts

[Post New]by Vallarina on Mar 21, 13 5:10 PM
Download is taking a very long time. I have been waiting 2 hours and 30 minutes and still it has not completely downloaded. Very frustrating.

shallberg
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by shallberg on Mar 21, 13 5:55 PM
Anybody having trouble with games pausing on their own in Windows 8? I just installed this game on a brand new laptop and this is happening on it's own. Also had the same problem with another game I re-installed on my new laptop that I had already played on my old one with no issues.

Go to: