NIMHURCHU
Clownfish
Clownfish
744 Posts

DD March 22nd 2013

[Post New]by NIMHURCHU on Mar 22, 13 4:04 AM
This is a great deal at $2.99. The cutscenes are blurry, but graphics in the game are clear and beautifully drawn.

There are no voiceovers.

There is a journal, with the story and clues.

There is no map, but the hint will direct you in casual and advanced mode.

There are 3 modes of play: Casual, advanced and hard. There are sparkles indicating HOS and areas of interest in casual and advanced mode. There are no sparkles in hard mode ( the cursor changes to a magnifying glass when you hover over areas of interest or HOS). Also, there is no hint or skip button in hard mode.

HOS: There are approximately 24 HOS. They are not interactive.

Hints: Refill in 1 min. in casual mode and 2 mins in advanced mode. Hints work outside of HOS. There are no hints in hard mode.

Puzzles: There are approximately 22 simple puzzles. They can be skipped in approx. 1 min. in casual mode and 2 mins in advanced mode. There is no skip button in hard mode.

There are spiders. Possible spoiler - highlight to read. When you click on a box in the upstairs hallway of the house, spiders scurry everywhere.

There are no demons.

There are 24 cats to collect.

Overall, I highly recommend this game. There were plenty of fun interactions and a wonderful balance between puzzles and HOS. There is a lot of trekking back and forth, so an interactive map would have been helpful. I found the story interesting and there was not too much dialogue to read. I have played the entire game in both casual and advanced modes. I played the one chapter in hard mode. The game was a nice length and took me about 3 hours to complete the second time around.

JoyWales
Clownfish
Clownfish
728 Posts

Re:DD March 22nd 2013

[Post New]by JoyWales on Mar 22, 13 4:50 AM
Thanks, have taken a look and bought it. I think I was probably put of by the muddy colours when it first came out, I like clear, clean graphics. But at this price it seems a good deal, especially with collectables included.

Euskalduna
Stingray
Stingray
5,991 Posts

[Post New]by Euskalduna on Mar 22, 13 7:29 AM
Thank you, NIMHURCHU for the great review. Had this game on "pending" and after reading your review, bought it.

NIMHURCHU
Clownfish
Clownfish
744 Posts

[Post New]by NIMHURCHU on Mar 22, 13 10:10 PM
JoyWales and Euskalduna I hope that you are both enjoying the game. I am trying to sneak some time to finish off the hard mode version that I began this morning. The one thing that I do notice now is that the objects in the HOS are exactly the same. There was a 6 month gap between my casual mode and advanced mode gameplay, so I didn't notice. However, I am still having fun with this game.

Athena99
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by Athena99 on Mar 22, 13 11:16 PM
Even as a DD I think I'm going to pass on this one. I thought the cut scenes were horrible and hard on the eyes to watch. The graphics are mixed. Some things are fairly detailed but for the most part I found them a little too dull, muted and fuzzy around the edges especially in the HO scenes. To me made it made them more of a chore to find rather than being pleasantly challenged. I wasn't impressed with the music either. For the 40 minutes I bothered playing I thought the HO scenes were a little too frequent and there is a fair amount of backtracking. Not really a bad game...just not a great game.

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Mar 23, 13 12:58 AM
Athena99 wrote:Even as a DD I think I'm going to pass on this one. I thought the cut scenes were horrible and hard on the eyes to watch. The graphics are mixed. Some things are fairly detailed but for the most part I found them a little too dull, muted and fuzzy around the edges especially in the HO scenes. To me made it made them more of a chore to find rather than being pleasantly challenged. I wasn't impressed with the music either. For the 40 minutes I bothered playing I thought the HO scenes were a little too frequent and there is a fair amount of backtracking. Not really a bad game...just not a great game.

Hi Althena99,
I disagree with you. For $2.99, this game is well worth the investment if you "bother" to play more than 40 minutes and enjoy the challenge of running around to solve your problems.
Cheers

Go to: