Kuddles3
Guppy
Guppy
136 Posts

Achievements render the game NOT free?

[Post New]by Kuddles3 on Mar 23, 13 10:21 AM

I have noticed in several threads that people have questioned whether this is truly a FREE game, and the answer is usually something along the lines of:

“It can be free if you have an unlimited amount of patience.”

However, it appears that no amount of patience will ever get us through the 2 Achievements “Diamond King” and “Magnate” which require that we buy diamonds and coins in the Bank …….. using REAL money!

Providing the option for players to VOLUNTARILY use real money to purchase additional items to hasten their progress in the game, or take part in extra-curricular activities at a later stage, if they so choose, is one thing.

DEMANDING that real money is used in order to complete Achievements (which are an integral part of the gameplay, along with Quests) is quite a different thing.

If it is free, it should be possible, given enough perseverance, to complete all aspects of the game one way or another without spending money (even if it is very frustrating or slow).

Surely the inclusion of challenges/objectives which cannot be completed without actually paying for something, means that it is not a free game and that claim should not be made. What do others think?

P.S. I am not against the game in any way, and am very much enjoying playing, but I do think that these Achievements should be changed, possibly to the use of in-game coins, so that they can be completed at some stage.

Re:Achievements render the game NOT free?

[Post New]by crazybluegirl200 on Mar 23, 13 11:58 AM
These are optional achievements. They really don't affect your progress within the game. You don't have to finish every achievement there is.

zbox12
Minnow
Minnow
271 Posts

[Post New]by zbox12 on Mar 23, 13 7:12 PM
You can get the final achievement badge without buying anything. It is your choice still. You can complete the game without spending any money. I will agree with you that I was "bummed" when I saw those two achievents. I have not had a quest yet that required you to spend money. That is where I draw the line. I have not spent any real money so I will not get those two achievements.

noyb
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by noyb on Mar 24, 13 1:08 AM
I agree. True gamers (or at least the OCD among us) want every achievement and the game really isn't complete (i.e. you haven't won) until you've got them all. So, saying it's "free" is just misleading. Yes, you can play along if you have unlimited patience. But you can't win... not really...

euphoria
Herring
Herring
386 Posts

[Post New]by euphoria on Mar 24, 13 6:20 AM
How do you determine, though, what it means to "win"? Doing all the quests and all the achievements? They will keep adding more. I don't know that it's possible to "win" this game; only to enjoy it as it continues to grow. Having said that, I agree that it's discouraging to have achievements that can only be accomplished by spending real money, which destroys the fantasy that you are a stranded airline passenger just trying to survive (with no help from an unseen bank)!

[Post New]by crazybluegirl200 on Mar 24, 13 10:21 AM
I see the two achievements for spending money as a way to reward people who are willing to spend money on the game. Because the reality is the game must generate income in order to keep going.
I've spent a little money on the game. No more than I would spend on any other game from BFG. I don't mind because I have put more time and effort into this game than any other game I own. And I happened to have gotten an achievement for it

sycorax16
Clownfish
Clownfish
595 Posts

[Post New]by sycorax16 on Mar 24, 13 3:47 PM
Out of curiosity, how much money would you have to spend to gain those two achievements to level 5?

kandikc
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by kandikc on Mar 25, 13 5:42 AM
If you have a Big Fish account it costs $13.99 for 300 diamonds or 70,000 coins. For non-members it costs $19.99. You need to buy 500 diamonds to get all 5 levels of the buying diamonds achievement. 300 diamonds gets you to level 4 and 70,000 coins only gets you to level 3 of the coins Achievement.

I'd rather spend the $13.99 on a CE game.If we could use game credits or free game codes to purchase the diamonds or coins, then it wouldn't be quite so bad.

euphoria
Herring
Herring
386 Posts

[Post New]by euphoria on Mar 28, 13 7:30 AM
It would be AMAZING if we could use game credits or free game codes to buy diamonds! (Probably won't happen, but it would make my day!)

Go to: