bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Reviews for Phenomenon: Meteorite Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Mar 24, 13 12:57 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Phenomenon: Meteorite Collector's Edition? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Phenomenon: Meteorite Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBiwa

bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Re:Reviews for Phenomenon: Meteorite Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Mar 24, 13 12:57 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBiwa

CelticCoco
Clownfish
Clownfish
514 Posts

[Post New]by CelticCoco on Mar 24, 13 1:13 AM
Wow, this is based on 8 minutes of the demo. This is a buy for me as soon as I have the money, or it goes to SE. This game is absolutely beautiful! Not gaudy as some games are, and the atmosphere so far does not look spooky and dreary.

Game play seems to be fairly standard, I didn't play long enough to check it all out, but sure will tomorrow! If I didn't have to get to sleep so I can get up early for church I'd still be on this one!

Wow! A beauty - I suggest you all give this one a try!

CelticCoco

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by sassylassie on Mar 24, 13 1:34 AM
To me it's definitely a 10/10 game. Little Gloria is such a little sweety. I would like to say I think this is very much sci-fi and so was the other. The voiceover is extremely well done. Side note. These Hidden Object Scenes rock!

Story: Daniel's parents dropped him off at a foster family's home when he looked to be about ten. The parents said they were in some kind of trouble and they wanted to keep Daniel out of harm's way. Well there was a message left for Daniel left to him by his parents to meet him on this island if they are still alive. And off to see what happens.

Graphics: This team has a top notched team. Beautifully done.

Hint system: Works out of H0Gs as well.

Map: It's a jump map. I love those lol

Mini Games: I only ran into the tree one so far but that was it. Too busy exploring.

Music: Beautifully done. Fits perfectly with the game.

This is a brilliantly done game with awesome cutscenes. I am truly enjoying it so far and didn't hesitate to buy it. Yes be fair the game was on sale. But I would have bought it anyways even it wasn't on sale because I love it so much as I did with their first one. Kudos to the team.

Edited on 03/24/2013 at 1:56:27 AM PST

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Mar 24, 13 1:50 AM
We have had to wait for a good while for this follow-up to "City of Cyan". It is not related to that game at all, it simply uses the "Phenomenon" label.

And what a phenomenon it is!!!! When the first game came out, I remarked that the graphics were absolutely the best I had seen in a long time, and this one matches that and beyond----stunningly gorgeous, unmatched art work and colors, and refreshingly realistic looking characters. (and, of course, widescreen)
The last game was a SE (amazed at that), but no such luck here. However, the CE package looks very good with separate games to play that are tied in with the main game, as well as a bonus chapter, strategy guide, and (for those that like them) wallpapers, concept art, and musical soundtracks.

The story is sort of tricky to follow, but once you make some progress in the game you will "get" what's going on, and be totally drawn in.

There are voiceovers, a map for switching scenes, a journal that keeps your current tasks sorted out, and the excellently done cut scenes can be replayed.

I'm trying not to spend as much on CEs as in the past----but with the sale discount going on, this is a must-have.

Well done, devs---- very, very well done!!!!

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Mar 24, 13 1:54 AM
OK fellows fishies, it's a CAD (Casual Adventure). with small addition of HOGs. You can find only one HOS at the end of each chapter, made of two pages (more objects). So HOGers should keep that in mind...

But the application is so beautiful, that I couldn't resist it - I can manage with it, with the large help if the hint system and the MAP!

So I bought it, and I congratulate to the Adventurers for getting their wish.

That should be the "divorce" from the HOPA - each one gets his own preference - and the customer will decide which one he prefers.

This is based on the trial only, and I hope there is not follow of "shower" of HOS...

Beautiful game, background and smooth play! Thanks developers, thanks BF!

(I am an addictive HOGer)...

nivlem007
Guppy
Guppy
163 Posts

[Post New]by nivlem007 on Mar 24, 13 2:04 AM
I don't usually buy CCs but reading the first two reviews here today and so early, I am downloading and because of the sale that ends today I will most likely buy it. It is really great to read such great reviews especially the first one who only tried it for 18 minutes.
Thanks fellow fishes.

grabbinbugs
Minnow
Minnow
225 Posts

[Post New]by grabbinbugs on Mar 24, 13 2:13 AM
The last time I saw artwork this beautiful was this dev's last game they produced. Amazing graphics. As others before have already commented....good story, unique HO scenes, jump map, journal, great music and all on sale!!!!! I have got to have this game so off to buy.

[Post New]by CasualGamePlayer on Mar 24, 13 2:25 AM
I beta tested this game and have been waiting for it to be released.
It is mainly an adventure game with puzzles and some hidden object scenes. It was a nice change from the darker themed games that have been released and I liked the clear and crisp graphics especially in the opening scenes and makes for a change for the current trend of foggy graphics. The game has widescreen presentation, voiceovers and
unobtrusive music all done nicely.

I tried out both casual and advanced modes and those who don’t like sparkles will be pleased there were none that I encountered. The hint system fills slower in advanced mode as you would expect, but to be honest I didn’t use it much. There were only two hidden object scenes in the hour I trialled and they were very interactive and fun. Puzzles were good and one in particular with a Goddess figure was great fun and unique. I really enjoyed it.

There is a map that you can jump to active areas so even though there is some back tracking at least the map makes it easier. As you progress in the game you acquire magical amulets and it seems all building up to a the discovery of your hidden magical powers. All in all I enjoyed the hour and hope that it lives up to its potential. Story was that of a young man looking for ‘missing’ parents in a mysterious island…well an original story maybe not but there was a back story of the history between four different races so there seems to be a twist to the missing parents theme. Am off to buy and see how the story/game progresses if I have time I will update with more details but thought I would give some of my initial impressions. Happy gaming everyone.

mamajay
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,222 Posts

[Post New]by mamajay on Mar 24, 13 2:56 AM
Saw it, tried it, loved it, lol. Now I will buy it.

I have been waiting with a lot of interest to see this game, and I was not disappointed. The graphics are as gorgeous as in the first game, the voices are very nice to listen to, and I quite like the music as well.

I don't normally bother to use the wallpapers (I did use one from Botanica on my desktop), but I think I will certainly be using the ones from this game - they are so lovely to look at.

There are 4 chapters (I think, or is it 5?), plus a bonus chapter, and the SG is integrated. The hint button on casual refills quite quickly, and the instructions in the SG seem to be easy to follow. I don't know yet if it holds its place or not - I hope so.

One thing I really liked, at the beginning, is that the young man (whom you play) is talking directly to you (the observer), and his lips move in perfect sync with the sound. The actor's voice also seems to fit the appearance and age of the young man - apparently he is 25. He doesn't look half bad, either, lol Whoever voices Gloria also sounds right for the age of the young girl.

I haven't got very far yet - I had to keep checking on our tea, and then I had to eat it, lol. But if the first game is anything to go by, this new game is going to give me lots of enjoyment while I play it

Jen

I did have a tiny glitch right at the start - on the menu page I got an error message when I clicked on Extras, so I had to close the game right down and start again - luckily it all worked properly that time and I was able to start playing.

jojo_the_joyful
Salmon
Salmon
2,761 Posts

[Post New]by jojo_the_joyful on Mar 24, 13 4:07 AM
Just popping out to say, this game is blowing me away.

Other additional features it has include:

Instead of using a hint in the few HOG scenes, you have the option to play a word game instead.

For example ( I am making this one up) if you need to find a goblet, you will have to unscramble the word(s) wine bottle and the goblet is crossed off your list.

All the cut scenes are available to review at any time from your journal.

There are also hidden / extra HOGs with little quests in and further word games in the extra's (according to the SG)

It is too early to say but this game is up there with Nutcracker & Phantasmat 1

belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

[Post New]by belamba on Mar 24, 13 5:36 AM
Ran on my Mac perfectly.
Too much hand holding in 'advanced' mode. Map very handy; without one it would have been frustrating running back and forth. Quite linear in game play, excellent graphics too.
Needed to do two HOS at a time, with various timepieces sending you back and forth. Minimal interaction really, but not too many of them so that was a good thing.

Biggest complaint is that it was way too short. Started playing at 9am and whole game finished by 12.20 including bonus play.

Puzzles weren't very interesting, and quite laborious actually.

I was in two minds whether to buy this CE or not after the trial hour, but hoped it would get better. Not a bad game but nowhere near the best either.

Usual 'find the amulets' storyline!

Kamali
Guppy
Guppy
173 Posts

[Post New]by Kamali on Mar 24, 13 5:46 AM
I've just finished the demo and am off to buy it. The graphics are beautiful, the hints are helpful, the map is useful, and I can't wait to get back to it.

gamblebug
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

[Post New]by gamblebug on Mar 24, 13 6:19 AM
Decided to buy even though price not right for members,cause i got caught up in story,love the inbetween worlds in HOHs and the word games.But worried about lenght after belamba finishing in less then 3 and half hours including bonus.But still loving it.

[Post New]by NancySusan on Mar 24, 13 7:10 AM
I think I'll get this one due to the sale. It played very well on my new HP windows 8 computer with widescreen. The plot is interesting, although I'm not a fan of the endless stories with religion gone wrong overtones, and while the graphics were fairly simple and a little grainy, the game had some aspects I haven't seen before (the elements/amulet and the word games substituting for finding hidden objects), and I'm enjoying them. One odd thing, and I noticed someone else had the same thing happen to them -- when I first opened the game and was clicking to see what was what, the game froze when I clicked on "extras." This worried me, but after exiting on ctrl-alt-del and re-entering, the game was fine. I assume this will go away when I get to the end of the game and need to click on it for bonus play. Hopefully. The game itself downloaded quickly and the gameplay was without glitches (other than the weird extras freeze). Again my only real complaint is yet another game with mystic, religious, priestly people (none of whom were in the trial, but appear in illustrations).

sartasia
Stingray
Stingray
4,581 Posts

[Post New]by sartasia on Mar 24, 13 7:50 AM
I beta'd this game and would appear I'll be swimming against the tide. While it's true that the graphics are lovely the game just didn't draw me in. Doing two H0s at a time became slightly tedious and there is a tremendous amount of back and forth. I must admit that in the Beta it never got far enough in the story to explain the need for the amulet other than unlocking doors. Maybe there is something there.
It also contains none of the extras that I think justifies a CE. The comments I have read on length confirm that I will pass but I might buy this when the SE comes out.
I had been playing Adelantado 2 so maybe I was in the wrong mindset. There are a few good CEs coming out. Unfortunately for me this one is not one of them.

Try before you buy.
Happy Gaming.

Edited to buy a vowel

Edited on 03/24/2013 at 7:59:48 AM PST

cathyok
Minnow
Minnow
208 Posts

[Post New]by cathyok on Mar 24, 13 8:47 AM
My download was also fast and only took a few minutes to load. Really like the City of Cyan and I think this one is even better. So much to see and do that makes you not want to stop playing. Their other game is not a part of this series but also a very good game. Good job Devs, you did a outstanding job with this game. Thanks BF for taking such good care of us.

gmac1007
Clownfish
Clownfish
569 Posts

[Post New]by gmac1007 on Mar 24, 13 9:25 AM
Holy Catfish ! I'm sorry but this game is a bumbling tedious mess from the get go ! There is way too much back and forth and I felt like I was just getting nowhere really fast and this was just in the first few minutes of the game. There is way too much blah blah blah between you and the mysterious girl you first meet on the island she just pops up whenever she feels like it and goes into this big spill nearly every time. The story is all over the place you have meteorites, monks, time towers, the mysterious island along with the mysterious girl and god only knows what else it's just a fusion of confusion and it's all over the place. While the graphics are good I've seen way better. Then of course you have the little boxes that pop up at random letting you know you have ten million other task added to your task list ummmm thank you but what's the point of having a journal if it's gonna pop up on the screen every time I have a new task why not just let me peek at the journal instead of popping up right in the middle of the screen while I'm trying to do something else. Then you do two hos at one time and you have to unscramble a word so you can get something to transport you to the next hos I'm sorry this game is just way too tedious and it's more like work than fun and then I remembered why I didn't finish City of Cyan it too became a tedious mess. Sorry dev's I appreciate your effort but this one is just one big tedious mess. No buy here nor when the se arrives. Although this is my opinion don't let it discourage you from demoing the game it's worth that and I'm sure there are many that will really enjoy the game I just found it to be a tedious mess. Have fun everybody.

[Post New]by biscuitsmama on Mar 24, 13 9:42 AM
Phenomenon – Meteorite is an absolutely stunning game! Quite honestly, I don’t remember being “blown away” by the previous Phenomenon game but this game has that wow factor right from the beginning.

In Phenomenon – Meteorite we are on a quest with Daniel as he searches for his missing parents on a mysterious island. When we arrive on the island we meet Gloria who has seemingly been waiting for Daniel to arrive, and who acts as his guide during his journey. Gloria advises Daniel to find amulets that will unlock his “abilities” that will help him with his mission.

The game opened automatically in widescreen with no adjustments necessary. Some of the other operational aspects of the game include two modes of gameplay (that can be changed during the game’s progress), a journal, and a very helpful interactive map.

Needless to say, the graphics are incredible and quite beautiful. The music score is very nice and goes well with the game. What I find that I really like are the voice-overs. Daniel’s voice is very much like it should be for that of a young man. Where this game really excels in voices is the voice of Gloria. So often in games we have older voices trying to simulate a child’s voice only to sound tinny and squeaky. Gloria’s voice is so good and sounds very realistic for her character.

Those of us who play HOPA games all the time have been asking for something different from just the standard “seek and find” scenes. In Phenomenon – Meteorite we have what we’ve been asking for. The HOS are so interesting that I hated for them to end. Without giving too much away, there is a component of time travel in this game – something I always enjoy.

IMHO, Phenomenon – Meteorite is going to be right up at the top of the list with some of the better games released this year. The developers have presented us with a game that has an interesting story, gorgeous graphics, interesting puzzles and wonderful HOS. Kudos to the development team for an excellent game!

[Post New]by Grandmajacky on Mar 24, 13 9:42 AM
Didn't even last 5 minutes - it's a definite buy for me!

Go to: