bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Reviews for PuppetShow: Destiny Undone Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Mar 28, 13 1:00 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of PuppetShow: Destiny Undone Collector's Edition? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the PuppetShow: Destiny Undone Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBiwa

bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Re:Reviews for PuppetShow: Destiny Undone Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Mar 28, 13 1:00 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBiwa

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by sassylassie on Mar 28, 13 1:03 AM
This is a 10/10 game. Yes we waited a while, but now the kinks are out and it's ready to 'show'. The voiceovers are extremely well done.

Story: Poor dad disappears once again and it's up to Felicia to save dad once again. Then switching scenes you have a dude name Cricks who is suppose to be a friend of her father's but he don't sound too good.
Glad I bought it to find out.

Artwork: Simply gorgeous. Here goes this team again strutting it's stuff

Music: Fit's the game beautifully, and to me pleasant to listen too.

Hint System: Both in and out of H0Gs.

Mini Games: Nicely challenged, not frustrating.

Kudos to the Bunny team for a job very well done. Looking forward to hours of entertainment. And for those who this team is not their favorite, please don't bash them. There are people who truly do love them, like me.

Edited on 03/28/2013 at 1:04:10 AM PST

nomatt
Herring
Herring
377 Posts

[Post New]by nomatt on Mar 28, 13 1:17 AM
Sorry sas, I've come to bash.
We found it exactly the same as the other Puppet games, beautifully done but very predictable. You want something, there it is. No challenge and with very easy puzzles. Sorry but no buy for me.

gmac1007
Clownfish
Clownfish
569 Posts

[Post New]by gmac1007 on Mar 28, 13 1:29 AM
If you wanna see me do my thang baby pull my strang Shut the front door ! Sorry for the singing folks didn't mean to scare everybody to death. Wow what a gorgeous game yes we had to wait a week but hey it was most definitely worth it !

Give it up for the rabbit he has done it again ! It seems Felicia and Pop's are still in trouble and the creepy spider puppet is still trolling around the neighborhood scaring folks to death and there is no telling how many other villain's we're gonna run into . The artwork is gorgeous as always what beautiful games ERS creates. I can tell this is gonna be one fun and freaky game from the get go.

I only came across a couple of puzzles in the demo and they were cool and one has to do with trains be careful it's very easy to make the trains crash oh yeah I've already done that at least three times and I'm still laughing. This one looks as if there may be collectibles I saw on the front page where it said puppet collection I clicked it and it looks like it's a place for collectible puppets. There appears to be some changes made with this one and I'm looking forward to playing more and seeing what kind of trouble Felicia and Pop's land themselves in this time. The hos are interactive and gorgeous as always.

There are also some new characters added to this one and yes some of the old favorites are still with us as well. ERS has done a great job on this and I know this is the one series that everyone is the least fond of because it's such a long running series but for me I love it as I do all of ERS'S game and I see they are making changes like adding collectibles and maps etc. but for me I'll always love ERS and Puppet Show was the very first hidden object game that I played that really wowed me and I've loved ERS and this series ever since. I didn't last very long with the demo before I hit the cha-ching button and I'm looking forward to playing all the way through. Give the demo a try it's definitely worth it. Thank you ERS for another wild and crazy beautiful Puppet Adventure and keep'em coming ERS your the best ! Thank you Big Fish for another ERS classic. Have fun everybody !

Edited on 03/28/2013 at 1:58:13 AM PST

60schild
Starfish
Starfish
53 Posts

[Post New]by 60schild on Mar 28, 13 1:34 AM
I, too, love the Puppets. Thank goodness for the "different" mini-puzzles (easy or not!). I get so tired of all the disc/circle-types (and all variations, thereof). They're just too numerous in most all other games for my liking (I know a lot of people do like those, so more power to you all). I always skipped those, anyway, which made for shorter games for me.

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Mar 28, 13 1:56 AM
Played the whole demo, casual

- 3 modes, casual, hard, advanced

- Voice overs

- Integrated SG which only shows 2 chapters

- Notebook

- Interactive map

- Shortly after playing you get a puppet helper that will help you to reach difficult places. You give it the name of your choice

- You find and build different hats for your puppet throughout the game

- You'll find 10 puppets throughout the game to fill your puppet theater

- H0, very interesting, you interact in the regular ones, then you have to find by silhouettes and the items you find are used to carry on with the H0, very good

- Good mini games, some new

- Beautiful graphics

- Music, nothing new from the other Puppet Show games

Felicia's father kidnapped again... is the story starting all over again ?? Nasty little spider puppet is back. Up to you to solve the mystery.... This is a buy for me

Edited on 03/28/2013 at 2:04:14 AM PST

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Mar 28, 13 2:36 AM
Well, it's finally here----the long awaited next "PuppetShow" game from ers.

I must say that only morbid curiosity drove me to have a look at this one----hoping that there that might be something new, something different, something original, or even something that actually adds to or propels this tired, old series somewhere. (A conclusion?) But, sadly, all those things are sorely lacking in this installment, just as they were in the previous two. Talk about phoned in. And I honestly believe that's a real shame because when you consider the former stature of ers you just expect more. These devs have shown that they are more than capable of creating excellent games on occasion (and I have said so in the past-----check the reviews), but those occasions are getting farther and farther apart.

The game is simply a retread of the same old themes used in the previous games. Felicity needs help (or perhaps her Dad), run around solving puzzles, going back and forth----WATCH OUT----here comes a scary mechanical spider!!, playing HOS, etc. until the nature of the "villain of the week" is revealed.
And talk about same old, same old.
-the inventory is still in the "fan" that opens and closes, very annoying.
-the voice acting is ludicrous again. (just listen to Flora crying in the opening cut scene)
-the music is the same as all the other "Puppetshows". Very dated.
-the graphics are the same.
-the artwork, while nice, is virtually the same.
-the HOS repeat themselves.
-the "pet" assistant has been replaced by a puppet----that you dress in various hats in the game. (How tremendously exciting.)
-the game lacks widescreen. But, of course, it's ers! (However, as a side note, it looks like this may change soon.)

Then, there are the puzzles. They could be the best part of the game if only they weren't so simple. Place 4 pieces of something on the main item! A jigsaw puzzle with 6 pieces! And a train puzzle that is beautifully presented that collapses on itself because it's too easy! Come on, ers, we can stand just a little bit of challenge.

CE package----the usual.

So ers has taken this one out of the barn again. I can think of 2 reasons to get this game. One would be if you've never played any of the others, and the other would be if you are among the legion of fans that believe the "gamERS have done it again!!" with every single offering from this dev no matter what. (I think ers could bring out "Pong 2013", and some would just rave about it! LOL)

But, IMO, this poor, tired, old horse has been rode hard and put up wet.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Mar 28, 13 2:53 AM
Morning, all...

There are 3 gameplay modes: Casual, Hard, Advanced.

There is a Widescreen option (when ticked, I get those colourful patterned bars on either side).

There is a choice of Custom and System cursor.

There is Voice-over.

There is no Inventory list. Instead you get the fan-like "Tools" button, which is at the left. Personally, I prefer it. I get frustrated with inventory lists popping up whenever your cursor is too close to the bottom.

Your Diary is at the right. It has tabs for Notes, Characters, and Story.

Also at the right is your Map. I love this one. You can use it to jump to different areas, and it is divided into sections, so you don't just get one huge map.
It shows you where you are, which areas are completed, and with are not.

The SG (strategy guide), and the HINT button are also at the right.

When used outside of the iHOS (interactive hidden object scenes), the HINT button fills instantly in Casual mode. When used inside the iHOS (of which there are not many), the HINT button takes about 35 seconds to fill in Casual mode.

Puzzles/Mini games can be skipped. The SKIP button takes about 35 seconds to fill in Casual mode.

At the top left, there is a tab that opens when clicked. It will show you how many puppets you have found so far - there are 10 in all.

--- --- ---

It's getting a tad tiresome, having to listen to a crying person each time you open a new ERS game. However, that aside, I am loving this game - at least, as far as the demo goes.

The graphics are nice, gameplay is nice, I love the map, I like finding 10 of something, I enjoy the mini games (love the fact that they are doable for me), and love the fact that there is the odd HOS but not one after another.

All in all, it's a great game, and a buy for me.

Edited on 03/28/2013 at 6:13:47 AM PST

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Mar 28, 13 3:25 AM
I'm unsure about this one. I didn't buy the last Puppetshow because I felt it was too similar to the others. Maybe that's why I enjoyed the demo of this one. Wish the music would change. Graphics stunning. Puzzles were different - I too get fed up of the circles ones - but quite simple. And there is the 'you need this, get it, use it, move on. I haven't bought games from this developer for ages cos they were so samey. Maybe I'll wait for the SE. On the other hand I have 3 game credits and rarely buy games these days and haven't bought a CE in ages. Not interested in hat making.

MLC60
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by MLC60 on Mar 28, 13 4:35 AM
I have been a fan of Puppetshow in the past, but the puppet helper you have to name and dress is a bit much for me. I quit playing with dolls eons ago and have little patience with the hat-making routine. I think ERS needs a new think tank, IMHO.

jojo_the_joyful
Salmon
Salmon
2,761 Posts

[Post New]by jojo_the_joyful on Mar 28, 13 4:58 AM
This is not a typical review as all the points have already been covered by the great fishies above.

I am a die hard fan of the puppet show series & bought untried. ( with my down load speeds, it was for the best)

I am pleased to say it continues in the same vein as the others & I love the creepy music etc. It is what helps make puppet show.

I have absolutely no complaints about the graphics, HOGs or mini games.

As always, I am with Valdy in as much as the wide screen option just gives me pretty bars to fill my screen & not the game filling my screen.

Although I am 100% glad I bought this & I am loving it, I really think the fascia could have been improved.

Why oh why do we have to keep on clicking on our inventory to see what is in it ? It is tiresome and has been a complaint in other games.

Also I feel this game may be lagging behind in what we have been treated to with regard to CE's recently. Although there are puppets to collect, it is hardly a morph per scene.

That said. You can download Calendars, which I expect I will do, a nice touch there.

So being a die hard "Puppet Show" fan I am very satisfied & I am loving it.

If I had not been a fan / customer of this series, I might be a tad disappointed with it being a CE

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Mar 28, 13 4:59 AM
I decided to approach this game with no preconceived ideas of what to expect. Even after reading the reviews, which veer wildly between gushing praise and criticism, I didn't let them influence me. And somewhat surprisingly, I quite enjoyed this demo!

Maybe it's because I've not played a Puppet Show game for so long; I got bored with them after the second one. And in spite of the very similar feel to the game, I didn't mind the fan inventory (which I hated before), the repeat HOS or the relatively simple puzzles (loved the tram one). As with all ERS games, the graphics are lovely and very detailed. Don't have music on in any game so can't comment on that.

A few things I wasn't keen on; typical huge eyed, weeping children used again and the girl's voice was like an adult trying to sound like a child. Name your puppet helper and dress it in a hat (which you have to make)?? Yikes, who thought of that And as usual no w/s, just padding with artwork down the sides. Rumour has it ERS have finally decided to address this issue by programming their games in 16:9 format, rather than the 4:3 they still use. We shall see.

But overall it wasn't a bad game at all. Whether or not I buy the CE is debatable; I may wait for the SE. But I will buy it in some form

Happy Easter

lackoo
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,430 Posts

[Post New]by lackoo on Mar 28, 13 5:29 AM
cbtx wrote:Well, it's finally here----the long awaited next "PuppetShow" game from ers.

I must say that only morbid curiosity drove me to have a look at this one----hoping that there that might be something new, something different, something original, or even something that actually adds to or propels this tired, old series somewhere. (A conclusion?) But, sadly, all those things are sorely lacking in this installment, just as they were in the previous two. Talk about phoned in. And I honestly believe that's a real shame because when you consider the former stature of ers you just expect more. These devs have shown that they are more than capable of creating excellent games on occasion (and I have said so in the past-----check the reviews), but those occasions are getting farther and farther apart.

The game is simply a retread of the same old themes used in the previous games. Felicity needs help (or perhaps her Dad), run around solving puzzles, going back and forth----WATCH OUT----here comes a scary mechanical spider!!, playing HOS, etc. until the nature of the "villain of the week" is revealed.
And talk about same old, same old.
-the inventory is still in the "fan" that opens and closes, very annoying.
-the voice acting is ludicrous again. (just listen to Flora crying in the opening cut scene)
-the music is the same as all the other "Puppetshows". Very dated.
-the graphics are the same.
-the artwork, while nice, is virtually the same.
-the HOS repeat themselves.
-the "pet" assistant has been replaced by a puppet----that you dress in various hats in the game. (How tremendously exciting.)
-the game lacks widescreen. But, of course, it's ers! (However, as a side note, it looks like this may change soon.)

Then, there are the puzzles. They could be the best part of the game if only they weren't so simple. Place 4 pieces of something on the main item! A jigsaw puzzle with 6 pieces! And a train puzzle that is beautifully presented that collapses on itself because it's too easy! Come on, ers, we can stand just a little bit of challenge.

CE package----the usual.

So ers has taken this one out of the barn again. I can think of 2 reasons to get this game. One would be if you've never played any of the others, and the other would be if you are among the legion of fans that believe the "gamERS have done it again!!" with every single offering from this dev no matter what. (I think ers could bring out "Pong 2013", and some would just rave about it! LOL)

But, IMO, this poor, tired, old horse has been rode hard and put up wet.

emmyjayne
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,375 Posts

[Post New]by emmyjayne on Mar 28, 13 8:08 AM
Totally agree with cbtx's review of this game.

[Post New]by NancySusan on Mar 28, 13 8:11 AM
I do like this series and on my new computer it plays well, although I have extraneous and somewhat distracting fillers on either side of the picture (I am glad to hear they may be trying to fix their lack of widescreen option). My problems are that a) while I kind of like the fan inventory, it is aggravating to have to click on it every time I need it -- I remember doing that on the first puppetshow game I played and that must have been several years ago -while it's artistic and creative, it's also in the way and having to click on it is unnecessarily time-consuming. b) I had forgotten that the SG is not accessible in a mini-game in this series, something that isn't very helpful. c) I've noticed that in two mini-games I played where objects were supposed to be put in place (particularly the puppet's hat assembly), there was no sense in how the assembly took place, and the picture kept rejecting what I was doing, which was confusing. d) The voice overs for the children were clearly being done by adults, in the "I'm going to do an attitude, which will make me seem younger" school of acting, which was jarring. e) Finally, ERS deserves a prize for mixing about 300 years of history -- 18th century type short pants on the Master, a modern (sort of) stove in one scene, a cigarette lighter, and 19th century (late 19th) clothing on the mysterious woman. I did like the little puppet to help (I like animals better, but the boy puppet is fine), but I wonder if they asked Dr. Who, before deciding to have the boy puppet say "Geronimo" whenever he did things. I also like collecting things, although as someone pointed out, morphing objects, etc. are certainly more challenging. So, hmmm. I think I will buy, but I have to think about it.

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Mar 28, 13 8:31 AM
'Geronimo' annoyed me too! I decided to take a look at one of my older games which I loved, and subsequently decided this one IMHO is not CE material - beautiful though it undoubtedly is. Probably a SE. I think I'm spoiled. With a CE, I like to feel I'm in a movie and very interested in the story. So much of this games I've played before in earlier Puppetshows.

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Mar 28, 13 9:04 AM
One of the favorites of all time, I love the PuppetShow series, I already own all the others and this one is just another addition to my collection.

No need to try the demo.

mrssharon
Guppy
Guppy
192 Posts

Not Much to Jump Up & Down About

[Post New]by mrssharon on Mar 28, 13 10:19 AM
I played for 40 minutes and really wanted to like the game. I thought the previous games in the series were much more of a challenge, but now we've got so many its just too repetitious. Really been there, done that, bought the same t-shirt.

There are a few different puzzles, but nothing that is very taxing. The interactive HOS are nothing special and you revisit them at least a couple times.

The music is dreary, to say the least, and the voices for the children were ridiculous as was their behavior. I thought the graphics were fine with nice colors.

The interactive map was extremely annoying, asking each time if I was sure I wanted to navigate there. It's not like you click things by accident and are transported to a different story...

I wasn't excited at all about the storyline. This was just not very appealing to me and I couldn't see that it would get any better. It's a no buy for me.

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

[Post New]by shorenuf on Mar 28, 13 10:51 AM
Game play / features slightly updated to include recent "innovations" from ERS:

-- You get a helper you can name and dress
-- You get a calendar set for each game in the series (As in the last 2 Poe games but these look like wallpaper, I think, not printable)
-- you get a puppet theater to place your found puppets (as in the last Maestro orchestra)
-- A Map that asks you if you are sure you want to go there (as in Azada 4)

The HO scenes are simple interactive lists -- no "puzzle" component
The tasks are pretty easy to accomplish
The 3 puzzles I saw so far were pleasant to solve
There is a fast travel Map
Diary keeps notes, story, character info
3 modes of play -- no black bar info on hardest
Artwork is ERS signature stunning
Widescreen
Some voice overs -- annoying whining from little Felicia

CE extras include:
-- repeats of HO scenes, Mini games and Cut scenes
-- Strategy Guide -- 7 chapters plus Bonus Chapter
-- Bonus Gameplay
-- Wallpapers, Screen savers, concept art, music

The story -- well, this series does have an ongoing story line and repeating characters, so it could be beneficial to have played the ones before, but this one will stand on its own well enough, I suppose. Felicia's father has disappeared; she has asked you, the detective for help. In the 45 minutes I played, it was very easy to hunt down inventory and know exactly how to use same. The story has some curiosities, but the game mechanic offers nothing really new. Within a minute or two I was faced with 2 HO scenes in the same cabinet -- ugh.

So, I will have to say once again, new players will open this game, be enchanted with the artwork, curious about the story, impressed by the innovative puzzles, and comfortable achieving the tasks. For all of us who have been to Joyville 4 times before, this gaming experience is not so joyful.

Go to: