TGT Plant this!

eleanor1183
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,991 Posts

TGT Plant this!

[Post New]by eleanor1183 on Feb 25, 09 8:53 AM
Am I the only one who has looked at this one? Couldn't find another thread, so...

I was so excited when I first saw the screenshots and description. I thought, "All right, a completely different kind of game!"

Downloaded...nice music...decent graphics...funny voice...cute storyline...neat play action, reminiscent of Centipede...started playing...was enjoying it...

and then they had to go and spoil the ride.

A TIMER!
With no option for turning it off...you know - for relaxed play?

Hello??? Required TIMER = NO SALE

Are these developers ever going to get it???

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

Re:TGT Plant this!

[Post New]by bribling on Feb 25, 09 8:57 AM
They are NOT going to get it, it seems. Why they don't make the Timer an option is a mystery. That feature could only improve sales. Also, games last longer if you can take your time and that would certainly cut down on the "too short" complaints. I didn't even try this one.

cesse47
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
25,099 Posts

[Post New]by cesse47 on Feb 25, 09 9:21 AM
Just don't understand why developers keep sticking timers in their game without a relaxed mode. We've been telling them for over a year that a large number of players will NOT buy a game with a timer.

GeeBee
Narwhal
Narwhal
32,109 Posts

[Post New]by GeeBee on Feb 25, 09 9:24 AM
You would think the developers would catch on....well, maybe after losing sales they'll get the message....No sell here either!!

Word_Dudely
Guppy
Guppy
131 Posts

[Post New]by Word_Dudely on Feb 25, 09 9:36 AM
I liked the game. It's fun!

erwin042
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by erwin042 on Feb 25, 09 9:40 AM
The timer is for the upcoming next wave or for the time you may rebuild your garden.
Why should there be no timer?

I bought the game after the demo expired.

Sorry if you don't buy the game because of the timer. So strategy games aren't your type of game

bansama
Herring
Herring
338 Posts

[Post New]by bansama on Feb 25, 09 9:51 AM
Haven't had the chance to play this yet, but it looks to me to be a tower defense game. In which case the timer is a necessity. The game simple wouldn't work well without one as you'd never have any idea as to when the next wave would arrive, nor would the waves ever end.

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Feb 25, 09 11:00 AM
I didn't download it because that the tower defense type of game isn't one I find interesting. One way to take the timer off for those of us who HATE timers is to have the play alternate between "build your defense" mode and "see how your defense manages against the attackers" mode. You have a certain amount of resources you can place, and are given UNLIMITED time to decide where to place them. When you have them placed, you click a button that triggers the next wave of attackers. When the wave finishes, you are given a few more resources, and can rearrange your defenses taking all the time you like, then click to trigger the next wave of attackers.

I think one of the single-player minigames my company implemented for a client last year was an online version of this, with the unlimited time to place defenses. I didn't work on it directly myself, because I specialize in the server side of multiplayer games.

DonnyDJ
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
475 Posts

[Post New]by DonnyDJ on Feb 25, 09 11:55 AM
I love timers. The purpose of playing a game is to be challenged. I can't believe how many people don't want timers in their games. What is the point of playing a game and not being challenged? It takes out all of the fun in the game!
For me timer=sale!

Perhaps games should include a non timed mode because apparently many people would prefer to play in a no lose situation, but I just don't see the point in playing a game that is meant to be timed without a timer. That is like playing an action game with infinite lives and energy.

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Feb 25, 09 12:06 PM
Lots of people love timers.

Lots of other people detest them.

Most games take very little effort to add a "no timer" option. I wish developers would realize just how easy it is to make their game appeal to both types of players.

I like a challenge too. One of my favorite match 3 games has an untimed option where the goal is to clear the marked tiles in fewer than X moves. I can sit there for several minutes if I want to, making the best decision possible. THIS type of gameplay both challenges me and doesn't trigger stress (of which I get more than enough from work). Games where I have to make decisions FAST (or just make lots and lots of moves as fast as I can) are stressful for me, and usually bore me silly besides - there's no challenge to my braincells in just making any old decision FAST.

windrose53
Flounder
Flounder
2,385 Posts

[Post New]by windrose53 on Feb 25, 09 12:08 PM
DonnyDJ wrote: What is the point of playing a game and not being challenged? .

Personally I don't play games to be challenged. I have more than enough challenge (strife, stress, etc) in my daily life. I play to relax and enjoy and pass the time away (even though I really should be cleaning something).

DonnyDJ wrote:Perhaps games should include a non timed mode .

That's what we keep asking/hoping for.

DonnyDJ wrote: That is like playing an action game with infinite lives and energy.

Excellent suggestion. Sounds like my kind of game. Wish I knew one like that.

MoreOver
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by MoreOver on Feb 25, 09 12:08 PM
I wonder if developers ever polled potential customers to find out if their demographics show women don't like timers but men do? I'm only guessing that would be the case.

[Post New]by XanderTheSlayer on Feb 25, 09 12:24 PM
I tried this game and... hm, I have mixed feelings about it.

I LOVE tower defense games, and I really liked the aspect of making a maze on this one... but... I didn't like the graphics that much, neither the sound effects (and the gophers voice) and the menus were kinda awkward.

Also, I don't know if there will be replay value in this, since it seems to be only 50 levels with 3 difficulties.

eleanor1183
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,991 Posts

[Post New]by eleanor1183 on Feb 25, 09 12:43 PM
DonnyDJ wrote:I love timers. The purpose of playing a game is to be challenged. I can't believe how many people don't want timers in their games. What is the point of playing a game and not being challenged? It takes out all of the fun in the game!

Ah, but you see that's the purpose of a game for you, not for everyone.

I don't know you, but I would guess that you are in the under-30 demographic, and most likely male.

Guess what? Many of us older (50+) females tend to prefer not to be rushed. We don't get a "charge" out of being put under stress by a game. 3D gives us all the stress we need - usually more than we need. We play games to calm down and relax. We like to exercise our minds without the stress of a ticking clock.

So, here's a mind game for you: imagine that game after game is offered, but that none of them have timers. All of them are boring and slow, and the makers of those games refuse to "turn up" the excitement by putting time pressure on, which gives you a real charge, and makes the game fun. It would be so easy for the game developers to put in an option for you to have a timer, but they refuse to do it.

Would you be happy?

Well, that's how many of we old gals feel. It would be sooooo simple to just make the timer optional, so you could play it the way you like, and I could play it the way I like. Then we would both buy the game, and the developers would make twice as much money.

A win-win-win.

Are you reading this, developers???

If you aren't, you're even dumber than I thought.

Edited on 02/25/2009 at 12:44:42 PM PST

Aka21
Flounder
Flounder
2,025 Posts

[Post New]by Aka21 on Feb 25, 09 2:31 PM
I am very happy that BF offers so many types of games. Although I download most of them to try, I will pass on this one. Watched the video and didn't seem the game for me.

I also prefer a game with a relaxed mode.

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Feb 25, 09 3:01 PM
I don't know - I just feel frustrated and abandoned. I also think to cancel my club membership next month, waiting to be charged, and bye-bye...

I buy games here from June 08, and for the first time I see - exuse me for the harsh words - such a low quality of games (made more polite expression, for the sake of the customers support team, who give their heart and soul to help us!).

I began to buy games for full price in other companies, because BF holds my genre (HO) whole month in their pocket. Come on, open your pocket, guys!!!

I saw extremely wonderful Betas (Flux Family, Scepter of Isis), belonging to BF - and this whole month I see games that I wouldn't pay even 1$ for them. What happened to the quality games???

Yes, I am old, and I like too relaxed mode. I ran enough after the kids and family, that's why I need to relax and enjoy. I had enough "timers" in my life, no more exams for me. Send the youngsters to the exams... .

"Game Over"!

Edited on 02/25/2009 at 3:02:06 PM PST

argistla
Flounder
Flounder
2,207 Posts

[Post New]by argistla on Feb 25, 09 3:11 PM
Guess what? Many of us older (50+) females tend to prefer not to be rushed. We don't get a "charge" out of being put under stress by a game. 3D gives us all the stress we need - usually more than we need. We play games to calm down and relax. We like to exercise our minds without the stress of a ticking clock.---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- WELL SAID Eleanor 1183 As a more matured [not old ripe but not rotten]70 + with shaky hands and slower eyes,i dodge the timed ones as well ARGISTLA

DonnyDJ
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
475 Posts

[Post New]by DonnyDJ on Feb 25, 09 10:16 PM
The solution then is to include a relaxed mode in the games. I actually spoke to the developers of a popular time management game called Forgotten Settlers First Colony. They are working on a sequel. Even though I think the lack of having a timer in a time management game is ridiculous, I told them that they should include this option if they want the sequel to sell really well. That way, it appeals to time management maniacs like myself as well as people who describe themselves as playing games for the sole purpose of relaxation.
I am a 33 year old male and I have been playing video games for 28 years. To me, I think a lack of a timer makes a game very boring, with the exception of hidden object games. My 2 favorite HOGs are MCF RTR and Mortimer Beckett. Neither of them have timers. However, if I am going to play a time management game, I absolutely love timers.
This site lacks exclusive time management games and unfortunately caters pretty much only to the hidden object crowd. It would be great if the exclusive bigfish game selection would become more diverse.

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Feb 25, 09 11:47 PM
Didn't even try this one because feeling particularly worn out and knew an action game would not appeal. I actually really like tower defense games. Loved Monster Mash and there was another can't recall name. BUT love them as I might I can not hope to be successful at them with disabled hands and inability to cope with adrenalin (it actually makes me physically ill to get "pumped up" more than the tiniest bit). The thing about the optional Timers is even if this style of game play would be too bizarre for most it still might appeal to many. TM games w/o Timers for the Win! Costume Chaos is one of those, no deadline for the day, just affects your points and you can not "fail" and be forced to play over in "Kids Mode". Call me a "Kid" I bought it and have enjoyed it very much.

Sure hope tonite is something of quality. Been kind of a lean month.

bfgCelebes
Flounder
Flounder
2,038 Posts

[Post New]by bfgCelebes on Feb 26, 09 8:40 AM
Hey all,

Since this game has its own forum now, I went ahead and moved this thread there.

Cheers!

~`~bfgCelebes~ ~~~

Go to: