bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Fear for Sale: Nightmare Cinema Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Apr 4, 13 12:34 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Fear for Sale: Nightmare Cinema Collector's Edition? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Fear for Sale: Nightmare Cinema Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Fear for Sale: Nightmare Cinema Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Apr 4, 13 12:34 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

nomatt
Herring
Herring
377 Posts

[Post New]by nomatt on Apr 4, 13 12:57 AM
Looks like quite a nice game. It maybe a little simple as far as puzzles go though, they look different but are actually very simple. Voice over are nicely done as are the graphics. One thing a great step forward is the options. At last somebody seems to have listened. You can set things like sparkles, hints, mis-click penalty etc to just how you want them, at last a grown up sensible way of doing things. I do wish there was an option to turn collectables off though, I find them a distraction and an irritation but I know some like them, and there are lots. Wife will have to decide if we buy this one, like I say, it's a little easy but very nicely done.

rainworm
Herring
Herring
360 Posts

[Post New]by rainworm on Apr 4, 13 1:14 AM
Hi all,

nice surprise today to see another Fear for Sale! I have the other two as CEs and this one seems to develop even better. This is to say, the "real spooky things" will come only after the demo ended. The atmosphere is indeed "nightmarish".

I think the game is very well done with everything one expects from a CE.

The strategy guide shows only 2 chapters in the demo and I played around 40 min, then the demo ended. I think this will be a buy!

Try for yourself!

grabbinbugs
Minnow
Minnow
225 Posts

[Post New]by grabbinbugs on Apr 4, 13 1:51 AM
Collectibles galore, 66 beyond objects and achievements all in one CE. Whewwwww. Very well put together game. Great graphics, voice overs and spooky story. HO's are interactive and medium difficulty. There is a choice of doing a jigsaw puzzle instead. Puzzles are on the easy side but could get trickier as the game progresses. Only thing I didn't see was a map but perhaps I overlooked it. Definitely a buy here.

Found the map...duh...was not hiding. It's a jump one too.

Edited on 04/04/2013 at 2:03:32 AM PST

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

[Post New]by shorenuf on Apr 4, 13 1:59 AM
I absolutely was not going to give up an hour of sleep to demo this game, but, um, gee -- where did the time go??

Okay -- I got involved in the game play.

-- 25 interactive HO scenes -- you can switch to a jigsaw puzzle
-- at least as many puzzles (sorry, can't remember what it said) -- they are familiar but well done
-- 60 morphing objects
-- tons of collectibles
-- achievements
-- Widescreen
-- Voice overs
-- Interesting art style
-- Diary keeps story and collectibles list
-- No map (not sure you need one) -- hmmm, well, I missed it according to some following reviews
-- customizable game play modes
-- Chapters -- never looked, but all the searching should make for a lengthy activity; seems a bit too easy to call it a game

CE extras -- a bonus game and all the usual fluff.

The story -- You work for Fear for Sale Magazine. A colleague's girlfriend calls you for help, her boyfriend, Adam McInroy, went to the movies and has disappeared. You quickly meet the villain -- an old Sunnyvale College friend of Adam's who is sending tickets to a select group of people for a private screening. You soon discover that what's going on is in the realm of the supernatural; Adam is more than just a little weird…

This story is wrapped around your typical HOPA formula, but as such games go, this one is better than many. It is certainly better than Sunnyvale but not as challenging as McInroy Manor. Other than the name connections mentioned above, I doubt there is much need to be familiar with the other 2 games in the series to enjoy this one.

I would rate it almost 4 stars.

Edited on 04/04/2013 at 4:37:43 PM PST

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Apr 4, 13 3:26 AM
Excellent game here----good, spooky story that is well presented in a very nice CE package.

The achievements and the things to collect set this one above many similarly styled CEs in that there are many different type of collections to complete----good idea and it adds to the fun and even the replay value. Points are awarded based on what you collect----a very nice feature.

The story, as I said, is a spooky one with a very high "creepy" factor----so turn down the lights for this one.

I really like the option to go to a jigsaw puzzle if you don't want to complete the interactive HOS. And BOTH are nicely done. Such an improvement over the M3 option, IMO.

The graphics are great, the puzzles are fun, and the music and voiceovers are good. And widescreen, of course.

So the game is great fun, quite spooky, excellently done, and I give it my highest recommendation!!

Pickles77
Minnow
Minnow
264 Posts

[Post New]by Pickles77 on Apr 4, 13 3:57 AM
All I can say is ...............................WOW WOW WOW!!!! This has to be best game I have ever played, ever! Developers, you have really outdone yourselves, you have included everything! I especially love that you can customize the options, great! I love the many collectibles, the graphics are outstanding, the HOGS are marvelous, the interactive items are very well done....the voiceovers are very good. The option to play a jigsaw puzzle instead of a hidden object scene is a novel idea ....This is an absolute buy! If I could, I would rate this gem of a game a 100 out of 10! Kudos to the Developers and BFG, many more like this please

gamblebug
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

[Post New]by gamblebug on Apr 4, 13 4:49 AM
Thanks developers and BF,i'm a happy camper this morning.Have the games and was looking forward to this one.The extras in this game makes it worth being CE.I didn't hesitate bought right away.It took me 20 mins,but my computor is slow anyway.Enjoy fishies,im off to play.

KBEAR2045
Minnow
Minnow
280 Posts

[Post New]by KBEAR2045 on Apr 4, 13 7:25 AM
Yes this is a definite buy for me. I love how many collectibles and morphing objects there are. I love the choice between jigsaw puzzle and HOS scenes. Only problem is I love to do both!

My only complaint (so far) is having morphing objects in HOS scenes. So far they have been relatively easy to find but I always worry if I will miss one while being engaged looking for the hidden objects. I'm not sure how easy they will be to spot in a HOS scene later on.

The developers did a good job with this game and it is worthy of being a CE.

Joyfullady
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,498 Posts

[Post New]by Joyfullady on Apr 4, 13 7:32 AM
Based on Trial - This is third in series and far superior then the first two. Graphics are not the best but does create a spooky atmosphere. The developers are getting better with each game. Storyline - you work for a magazine and a girl has called you to help find her fiance. Different with people disappearing at a theater showing by ticket invitation.

One thing I really liked was you had three options of play plus a customize your game play in choice of hint clicks, sparkles/no sparkles, skip etc. Wished more developers would use this method.

Collectibles, 66 morphing items, rewards, achievements are many. You have to find five Tarot (fortunate teller cards which were found in the first hour). Many occult items scattered through game but not much interaction.

Interactive map but the scenes need to be clearer so you could identify the place, good thing it had a legend on each. Diary as well.

HOG - quite a few and they are interactive (25); some items very very small like finding notes for music sheet and dragonfly wings. Instead of HOG you can put together a puzzle and they aren't that easy but you can skip back and forth - which is good if you can't find the last object.

SG - I was able to do all the mini-games and play without hints or SG so forgot to check.

I did not like the first two because of graphics and occult but will probably buy this one on sale after viewing walkthrough to see how much occult interactions.

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Apr 4, 13 7:43 AM
KBEAR2045 wrote:Yes this is a definite buy for me. I love how many collectibles and morphing objects there are. I love the choice between jigsaw puzzle and HOS scenes. Only problem is I love to do both!

My only complaint (so far) is having morphing objects in HOS scenes. So far they have been relatively easy to find but I always worry if I will miss one while being engaged looking for the hidden objects. I'm not sure how easy they will be to spot in a HOS scene later on.

The developers did a good job with this game and it is worthy of being a CE.

thanks for mentioning some morph items are in hog scenes,,,i wish at least if there are going to be morphs in hog scenes the hog scene would not close till you find it...

i was going nuts trying to find the 9th morph object....

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Apr 4, 13 8:13 AM
Looks like a great game! Love the storyline! BF has redeemed itself with this game after Sunday's fiasco. The graphics, although a little "slummy" in the settings are beautifully illustrated. I personally enjoy the jigsaw puzzle which can be played instead of searching for items in the HOG scenes. The puzzles are average. It is really difficult to develop new puzzles, I would think. They are variations of those we have seen here before, but they are decent. The "Tron" hairdo took me back a couple of years ago. Many of us were sporting that do! From those who have already played a fair portion of the game (How do you do it?) it seems to be a decent length as well. A great game for a long weekend for me. I must admit the quality of games for some of the devs is getting better. I believe they are listening to us!! Thanks BF for a great game. Have a "sunny" day!

[Post New]by biscuitsmama on Apr 4, 13 9:25 AM
Fear For Sale Nightmare Cinema is a game with that wow factor that had me from the beginning. It didn't take long to figure out that I had to have this one. In the beginning of the story you are called upon by Lily, the fiance of one of your colleagues, to find him. It seems that Adam was invited to the cinema by a college friend and hasn’t been seen since. It is up to you to find him and solve the mystery.

I have to admit that this is the first game in quite a while that just grabbed me from the very first scene. The artwork is top-notch and the graphics quality is excellent. The voice-overs are believable and add to the quality of the game.

The developer has obviously been listening to what we want in a game and has pulled out all the stops. We have morphing objects. We have collectibles to find and we are awarded points throughout the game on the various types and number of collectibles found. We have an interactive map that lets us know where something needs to be completed. The journal or diary not only gathers important information it also keeps a tab on your points and the collectibles you’ve earned. The developer has included the basic options of gameplay BUT has included a custom feature where you can select exactly how you want to play. What an awesome idea.

Many devs are now including an option in their HOS to switch to match 3 or mahjong but with this game we now have an option to build a jigsaw puzzle. How clever but since I like both HOS and jigsaws it can be a difficult choice – LOL. I’ve only encountered a couple of puzzles and they don’t seem overly difficult. I enjoy the puzzles but I don’t want them to be so frustrating that they interfere with my enjoyment of the game.

As I said in my title, too bad I can only give it 5 stars because the wow factor and extras in this game definitely qualify it as a 10 star game. It looks like Fear For Sale Nightmare Cinema could become one of the top games of 2013.

ladygem6
Herring
Herring
391 Posts

[Post New]by ladygem6 on Apr 4, 13 11:30 AM
I don't know, this game has it's good and it's bad. Seems as though there are too many things to collect; morphing objects, achievements, various collectiables strown about. Art work is typical of this series and I like the music. Yet it seems kind of thrown together with no real directions and I wonder sometimes where I'm going.

Perhaps I am looking at this all wrong as I am a bit under the weather and therefore, not at my best gamewise. Since i have the other two, I will more than likely get this but unsure as to SE or CE. The hint button works very well so a stradgey giude is not totally necessary.

I played the trial until it ended and was quite caught up so it did keep my interest. There are just so many games I can play and the GM is full of CE's. For me, there is no hudge wow factor to warrant an instant purchase so I'll stew a bit before deciding.

But at last, a decent game to stew over.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Apr 4, 13 11:56 AM
Great game and enjoyed playing. It has a good story and music suits the scenes. A map which I always like. HOG's fun as always. Hints seem to reload fast and haven't had problems with too much back and forth. Will buy it but not right now, have too many games to play.. Give this a 4 out of 5 stars..

Sprattie
Herring
Herring
315 Posts

[Post New]by Sprattie on Apr 4, 13 1:17 PM
I completed the 1-hour demo and my opinion is that this is just an average HO game, with a few big pluses to put it on the positive might-buy side:

Good points:
-- interactive, transporting map
-- lockable inventory
-- game keeps track of time played
-- HOs were not overly cluttered and you could choose to do a puzzle instead (although neither are my favourite pastimes)
-- interactions and conversations are brief
-- gameplay was Mac-friendly so far

Not so good points:
-- many HOs
-- grainy graphics in some places, although some scenes are bright and crisp
-- very average story with nothing really new

In any case, this is on my "to buy later" list. We'll see what comes up in the meantime.

_misschrissi_
Minnow
Minnow
232 Posts

[Post New]by _misschrissi_ on Apr 4, 13 1:46 PM
Now this is more like it! I don't know how much of the many 'extras' will also be available in the SE when it comes out, but I played the demo of this game and knew almost immediately that I would be buying it.

Collectibles? There are more collectibles here than you could shake a stick at. And morphing objects too (even in the HOGs, which is a bit sneaky ). Sometimes I wonder whether the hunt for collectibles/morphing objects disrupts the flow of game play, but then again, for me personally it does make me slow down and take in each scene more thoroughly, which is a good thing. Each scene was quite busy, but finding the morphs/ collectibles isn't too difficult.

I really hope other devs adopt the practice of having a "custom" option on settings, like this game has. What a simple, yet brilliant, idea - letting the player decide how much intervention he/she wants. In this game you can set the options for sparkles, hint reload times, penalties for mis-clicks in HOGs and a couple of others - it's fantastic.

The other brilliant idea here is allowing us to switch between playing a HOG or putting together a jigsaw. I sometimes did half the HOG, then switched to the jigsaw for the rest, or did one HOG, then one jigsaw. The only thing to remember is that you need to check the HOG for any morphing objects before switching to the jigsaw!!

And, icing on the cake, there is a jump map

I have no idea about the length of the game, but however long it is I know it's going to be a really enjoyable journey . I'm curious to find out what this Adam chap is up to, and what the deal is with the creepy projectionist!

dippydebby
Guppy
Guppy
187 Posts

[Post New]by dippydebby on Apr 4, 13 4:57 PM
I do like this game, collectibles and morphing objects always appeal to me, but random clicking means I find NEW collectibles, that I didnt realise I was looking for! But, not being competitive , I do not feel the need to keep retracing my steps to find every single missed object, I am just enjoying a different game, with the option of doing a jigsaw. when Hogs get a bit boring. ( I must admit though, that morphing items have me hooked, and I WILL find them all )

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Apr 4, 13 5:00 PM
Maybe I'm missing something, but this is just same old, same old for me.

Stealing souls, portals, evil hooded meanie wth red eyes. All been done before and much better.

This game is only good if you like collecting things, that's about it. Too bad they couldn't come up with a decent story to go with the game.

Some of the "achievements" are "Witnessed an important event." Really? C'mon.

I was not interested in the jigsaw option. For me the challenge is to find the objects. I will not give up until I find them all.

Loved McInroy Manor. This is so-so.

Go to: