NIMHURCHU
Clownfish
Clownfish
744 Posts

DD - April 4th 2013

[Post New]by NIMHURCHU on Apr 4, 13 11:08 AM
I almost gave up on this game after playing only 10 mins. However, I continued on and was addicted to it by the end of the demo. There are a few frustrations with this game, but $2.99 was a great deal, for me.

There are 3 game options.

1. Story option: Fairies have been kidnapped and trapped in "tokens" in the game. You must match 3 or more, including the token in your "set" to free the fairies. The game begins with having to free 5 fairies per board, and increases as you progress. (At level 86, the number of fairies to be released per board is 11).

There is a timer. You begin with 3 mins, but can buy more time (up to 2 mins extra time per board) with the acorns earned in the mini-games.

Mini-games: There are 2 types of minigames.
The acorn mini-game requires that you click on the acorns as they pop up on the screen. I believe that it begins with 5 acorns, and increases as the levels increase. By level 86, there were 19 acorns to be caught per mini-game. You must catch all the acorns the first time or you will not earn the acorn. You will not be given a chance to replay these mini-games. This was difficult and slightly frustrating, as you had to hit the acorn perfectly, and my cursor often froze. I failed 5 out of 17 mini-games that I played, but I still earned enough acorns to buy power-ups.

There are 3 HOS mini-games. You must find 15 acorns. They are extremely well blended in to the scenery. There is a hint button. It refills in approximately 1 min.

There are 100 levels.

2. Timed option: You have 5 mins to score as high as possible. You can choose normal, locks or shifter play modes. (see below for play modes) However, you must play story options first to unlock the different play modes.

3. Continuous option: There is no timer. However, you cannot let the blocks reach the top. You cannot change between play modes. If you choose normal, you must continue to play through the levels in that mode only. As you play, you will automatically "level up". Once you leave, your score will be saved, but your game will not. You must begin again at level one.

NIMHURCHU
Clownfish
Clownfish
744 Posts

Re:DD - April 4th 2013

[Post New]by NIMHURCHU on Apr 4, 13 11:14 AM
contd:

There are 4 play modes. The game begins with normal mode only. The other modes are locked. In normal mode, a new row of blocks is added to the board at varying intervals. The speed increases as you progress. You must not allow the blocks reach the top of the board.

Locks mode: Is unlocked at level 10. In this mode, you must clear all the tokens from the board. Any unmatched tokens will be locked, and new tokens fill up the board again. Locked tokens can be removed by matching them twice.

Shifter mode: This is unlocked at level 20. In this mode, the tokens drop from the top of the board, and then shift to the right of the board as you make matches. Again, you must not allow the blocks to reach the top of the board.

Puzzle mode: This is unlocked at level 30. This mode requires matches to be made in a particular order.

Once you unlock all play modes, you can choose modes to your own liking. If you fail a level, you can choose to replay it or try another mode.

Power-ups: There are 5 fairy power-ups. As you match certain colours, the power button for that particular fairy fills up. Once filled, it automatically activates e.g. the fire fairy (red) shoots exploding fireballs.
There are also power ups for increasing time, bonuses and increasing the speed in which fairies are made available on the board.

Overall, I have enjoyed 7 hours of entertainment with this game, with minimal frustration. Match 3 is not my preferred genre, but it is nice to have a little variety in games. At level 86, I am now having some difficulty and have failed 3 times in a row. I don't know if I will be able to complete the story part of the game, but I don't regret purchasing this game. I feel that it is well worth the $2.99, and it has great replay value. Definitely one that will stay in my Game Manager.

Pixieydust
Guppy
Guppy
117 Posts

[Post New]by Pixieydust on Apr 4, 13 5:57 PM
Thank you so much for posting this! I am not sure why it only got two stars. I thought it was fun. It is worth the dd for sure!! Give the demo a try and see!!

I thought it was a nice change from all the ho and also match 3s!

Mamalita
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by Mamalita on Apr 4, 13 6:49 PM
I have enjoyed the game very much today. The number of fairies that are needed to be freed depends on which level of the type of puzzle that you are playing. I have played mainly the classic mode and I am up to 14 fairies per level. When I have switched to one of the other styles (in the story), the number of fairies required varies on how many times I have played that type of puzzle.

NIMHURCHU
Clownfish
Clownfish
744 Posts

[Post New]by NIMHURCHU on Apr 4, 13 10:33 PM
You're welcome Pixieydust. I played another hour after posting, and am now stuck on level 90. But I am still having so much fun. I am a novice at match 3, so I plan to play the continuous mode for a while to hopefully build up some speed.

Thank you Mamalita for clarifying that. I have played all modes fairly equally. Puzzle mode still only had 6 fairies to free at 23 levels completed in that mode. I am now up to 13 fairies at 24 levels completed in Normal mode. I kept switching around after several unsuccessful attempts at a particular mode, just to avoid frustration and to keep things interesting for me. I just love all those choices!

Have fun!

[Post New]by seaserpent606 on Apr 4, 13 11:48 PM
Great description of the game, Nimhurchu!
I finished this game about 18months ago and it is one of my favourite Match 3 games. It gets more challenging after about 30 or so levels and for me it was one of those addictive types of games where I'd say to myself - just one more try, just one more try and an hour later I still couldn't drag myself away! This was usually because I'd only have one more fairy to free before running out of time. It would give me a similar adrenaline rush to one of the Treasures of Montezuma games. I played story mode with 100 levels and it can be done. You need to be able to click fast in this game. I found that by swapping around the 4 types of play I was able to finish all the levels.
I think it is well worth $2.99 if you like a challenging & different sort of Match 3 game.

Go to: