bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Strange Cases: The Faces of Vengeance

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Apr 6, 13 12:35 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Strange Cases: The Faces of Vengeance ? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Strange Cases: The Faces of Vengeance page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Strange Cases: The Faces of Vengeance

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Apr 6, 13 12:35 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

mystine
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by mystine on Apr 6, 13 2:07 AM
Well no one has spoken up yet so I guess I'll be the first. In two words....No thanks....I lasted 10 minutes...its a slow, clunky, boring outdated mess...Sulus you need to take a good hard look at the quality thats out there today and rethink your position...or maybe hire some new blood. Back to Fear For Sale and a quality game! Happy gaming evveryone!

JulieJay
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

[Post New]by JulieJay on Apr 6, 13 2:11 AM
Hidden Object Puzzle Adventure which is the 4th in the series.

Strange Cases:
1 - The Tarot Card Mystery released as an SE only in Aug 2009;
2 - The Lighthouse Mystery released as a CE and then SE in June 2010; and
3 - The Secrets of Grey Mist Lake released as a CE and then SE in Nov 2011.

You don't have to have played any of the previous games to play this one. You play the same character, totally different case.

Gameplay was heavy. Felt very sluggish.

Graphics very grainy and dull.

Puzzles okay - nothing I haven't seen before.

HO scenes - find the tarot card and then find by word list or shadow. Slightly interactive.

Map - yes, transportable and shows active areas.

Tasks - no.

Any hidden extras i.e. morphing/collectables/achievements - no.

Voiceovers - yes.

Inventory - locks in place.

Journal - no.

Can't comment on hint or skip times as I don't use them.

My verdict - a bit disappointing as I enjoyed the previous 3. Not sure what it is with this one - the game just seemed "old", as if the devs have took a step back.

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Apr 6, 13 2:46 AM
The verdict from JulieJay perfectly sums up my thoughts on this game. There seems to be a significant slippage in the quality of this game.

But I do like the idea of an abandoned mall so with it being available at half price, I'll buy it----just to see where the story goes.

schobey
Guppy
Guppy
158 Posts

[Post New]by schobey on Apr 6, 13 2:49 AM
This was a really good game, and story to match. Enjoyed. Thanks devs and .

samisgram
Lobster
Lobster
88 Posts

[Post New]by samisgram on Apr 6, 13 4:37 AM
Nowhere as good as the other "Strange Case" games. Way too sluggish.
I too liked the idea of the abandoned mall, but not much else.
Will pass on this one.

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Apr 6, 13 5:10 AM
i bought the game and i thought the graphics was ok and the sounds..The game is different sometimes different is good..Thx DEV's you did and good job and thank you for your time you spent on this game..Thx BF for this awesome game today..

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Apr 6, 13 6:42 AM
I don't really see what so many are complaining about I was really into the demo and didn't want it to end.

This has fun and different mini games and HOS, an interactive map, hint that works outside the HOS and a good story line.

Yes the graphics at times seem a bit sketchy and they don't even try to match the voice overs with the mouth action but to me the game play is more important anyway.

I completely enjoyed what I have played to far (Demo)

and 1/2 out of 5.

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Apr 6, 13 7:11 AM
yeah this is the most interesting HOG I have played in a while.
The story is intriguing.

Game plays smoothly and the graphics are clear.

Sprattie
Herring
Herring
315 Posts

[Post New]by Sprattie on Apr 6, 13 7:32 AM
I'm almost finished the demo (had to stop for phone) and actually thought it was interesting. The graphics are what kept me - fairly crisp and clear, not cartoony, music and ambient sound are fine, and you can lock the inventory (big draw for me.) The only down so far was that one of the puzzles was not Mac-friendly - had to drag my finger across the mouse pad which can be a bit painful after a bit. Did someone say there was a sale on Sulus game today? I'll have to look that up.

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Apr 6, 13 8:03 AM
Rarely do I post reviews just after a demo unless I am not going to purchase the game. However, I am doing so this time because of all the negative reviews this game has received. I found the game to be a very enjoyable, challenging game so far and will definately be a purchase.

Graphics are crisp and clear, voice overs done well and the cut scenes are actually interesting enough to listen to. Mini games are doable with a fast charging skip if you decide not to play. Music is not annoying and doesn't impact the game at all.

IHOS are definately unique and seem to become more of a challenge as you move along. Hint recharges very quickly. There is a very well done transporter map which makes the game even better.

Story plot is one we've all seen before, but how many different ideas can developers come up with, so that is forgivable. So far I am finding the game somewhat captivating and am looking forward to continuing with it. Don't let the "negs" put you off from at least giving it a try.

Additional comments: Just completed the game and found it to be a good length. A lot if interesting IHOGs. Interesting twist to the story. Found the voice overs OK. Still very pleased and found the game very enjoyable. The only negative I've found is the ending happens quite abruptly, but still finishes the game off nicely. Certainly can't understand the negativity of some gamers. Sad.

Edited on 04/09/2013 at 8:15:22 AM PST

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Apr 6, 13 11:38 AM
I rather enjoyed the game, and time went by fast. Graphics weren't as crisp as I like, but weren't bad. Had a map you could jump to where you had things you needed to do. Puzzles were ok and liked it was set in a mall that was closed. For an SE give it 3 out of 5 stars..

60schild
Starfish
Starfish
53 Posts

[Post New]by 60schild on Apr 6, 13 3:20 PM
I'm just glad this game isn't an "SE" of a "CE." Seems like anymore, there are far too few of just regular, good 'ole SE's released (which is why I dread Friday's on this website anymore). No offense to those who do like those Friday releases...that's just my opinion! I enjoyed it for the "half-price" offer.

[Post New]by CathyCatfish on Apr 6, 13 3:30 PM
i'm glad i persevered to the end of the demo because, by that time, i was hooked. i didn't enjoy the beginning scenes and was a little put off by the "partner" giving all the hints... "these are coordinates... check the map" kinda stuff, but after entering the abandoned mall, i'm on my own when he gets gated off from me! from there, it gets a little better!

so, with the sale, i'm going to buy this! seems i need to find out how the story ends.................................. !

dippydebby
Guppy
Guppy
187 Posts

[Post New]by dippydebby on Apr 6, 13 4:35 PM
Strange Cases number 1, was my first taste of hog games,. And, yes this one was a bit grainy and outdated, but I had a great Saturday afternoon and evening, playing it.Fond memories. Refreshing change

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Apr 6, 13 5:43 PM
Have the first three games and liked them, but this one is quite different. You just sort of start in the middle of nowhere and progress from there. Graphics and game play aren't bad. Music not too bad. HOGs are okay but a bit junky. Nice hint system, and it filled quickly. Games simple.

Personally, I feel voice overs make a game a lot more interesting, but these voices grated on my nerves for some reason. Don't know why, but I almost wish there hadn't been any at all.

As I said, this game is different from the others. There wasn't enough "action" to keep me interested. The game moved very slowly and I got bored. This one is more for a beginner than an expert player. A game has to be "really, really" bad for me not to recommend it to others, even if it wasn't for me.

That said, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find it quite enjoyable. Thanks for the reviews.

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Apr 6, 13 9:34 PM
Hi there,
I thought the earlier games were much more enjoyable and interesting than this latest instalment. This one was a bit of a yawn fest IMHO. OK, but not very engaging.
Great setting under-utilised (as someone has already mentioned elsewhere) - a decrepid mall, but I didn't even get to use my metal detector in a "Tiffany's" store to find any rings or assorted jewels left under the rubble!!
Now, that would have been fun.
Cheers

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Apr 7, 13 7:11 AM
This is quite scary game, esp when the detective (u) found what was the girl locked in a cage. U will get this in the 1hr trial, but I still wont tell u what happened. Mini puzzles were not that easy and I really dont have patience for some of them. But mostly they are ok.

I believe this is the most scary Strange cases series so far. My hair are all standing up. But I loved the game for its interactive map, scary storyline in line with the title (maybe another serial killer maybe like what the title suggests some sort of vengeance, against what, who, why? BUY to find out)

Edited on 04/07/2013 at 7:11:59 AM PST

caput
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by caput on Apr 7, 13 8:56 AM
Just finished the demo and it is a buy for me! I like the story line and really did not find the background all that grainy as some have. I found it just challenging enough to keep me interested without being so frustrating that I had to resort to help.

Go to: