bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Criminal Investigation Agents: Petrodollars

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Apr 10, 13 12:18 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Criminal Investigation Agents: Petrodollars ? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Criminal Investigation Agents: Petrodollars page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Criminal Investigation Agents: Petrodollars

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Apr 10, 13 12:19 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

bezzer
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by bezzer on Oct 13, 14 3:25 AM
ITS A LOAD OF RUBBISH!

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Oct 13, 14 4:09 AM
New And Improved HdO – Says All You Need To Know***

BASED ON DEMO

Well, it’s HdO, a series and game style I absolutely hate, but I was so impressed to find it rereleased, complete with horrific reviews calling the game “outdated”, written (did you notice?) in April 2013! So I played the demo – all of the demo! I was cut short by the timer! And I still can’t tell you what it is that kept this jaded old reviewer so absorbed.

For those who haven’t had the dubious experience of playing previous HdO games, they all have a feel that is theirs alone. They look archaic. The game play is classic iHOG, little to no animation, find the items in the location – not junk piles, small items, photo-realistic graphics, no choices of difficulty for the main game (will come back to this), no voiceovers, a lot of unavoidable talk, and a tutorial that really got in the way. No choices for the next move.

Its unique features, which is why this style of game has its fierce defenders, include a parallax view (picture is bigger than the monitor, so you can move around it, use a zoom-in option and such, to create a kind of 3D effect in otherwise boring and inanimate locations.

Likewise, the story treatment is sort of realistic, in the sense that it is based in the here and now, no swords or magic potions to find, and has a logical progression. Nothing is technically difficult about the game, HOPs are challenging mainly because the items are often small. The puzzles are not new or difficult – except you arrogantly don’t pay attention to the puzzle’s instructions, because there’s no going back, and there is 3 minutes to wait for skip! No map needed, you can’t choose the next move.

There is a strange hint system that gives you a finite number of hints, but after using one, you can wait for 1 minute for the base one. You can collect “hints” by finding stars in each location. Easy peasy to see. There’s a Match 3 puzzle which you do as well, which rewards you with new hints. But there is also a misclick penalty. There is a choice on some puzzles (which are called jigsaws in this game) to opt for the easier version, but you must wait 1 minute for it.

So. That’s the game. What? What’s the story? Well, we are after a guy for tax evasion and possible murder – of our partner of course. So we put a tracking device on one of his colleagues and follow him. We really hate this guy, and we are gonna get him, fair means or foul. Actually, no. We may be the muscle arm of the Tax Bureau, but we’re not totally without morals! Hee hee.

COMBINED IMPACT
Well, heck, I just don’t know! It is the same as every other HdO game, and should totally appal me, but it didn’t. It is the kind of one-off, never play it game, except that one wet wintery day when it suddenly seems to be the right game for the mood. Or as a cult classic. Or for HdO fans, a new and much better technically game from the series.

Which means there are people out there who are going to love this game. But it probably won’t be you.

Edited on 10/13/2014 at 4:18:28 AM PST

Lavender101
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by Lavender101 on Oct 13, 14 4:34 AM
It seems all about finding hidden objects in the most tedious, painful way possible . . . ONE. AT. A. TIME. Seriously not fun. At least not for me.

spiritgamer
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

[Post New]by spiritgamer on Oct 13, 14 7:38 AM
Horrible game. Clicking one HO at a time? And then that jigsaw puzzle...ugh!

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on Oct 13, 14 8:33 AM
Based on the demo:

I have two other games which are quite similar. I have enjoyed playing them both. I was disappointed when the demo ended here because I was in the middle of a puzzle.

The game consists of a lot of HOS in which you either find one item at a time or numerous items of the same type. Some of them are difficult to find and sometimes named incorrectly (when is a garter belt called suspenders?).

Between the HOS are puzzles; lots of different kinds (a jigsaw puzzle, a rather strange version of M3, etc.) Puzzles are often simple...that jigsaw was a snap...but there are more difficult ones, such as finding cell phone towers. It was simple once I developed a strategy but I had to think for a bit.

Hints are limited BUT when you use a hint, all you have to do is find a star somewhere in the scene and you get it back and you can even get more than the eight you started off with. I believe I started off with eight hints and used several but by the time the demo ended I had seventeen.

I know these games are not popular. I saw the one star reviews on the main game page. We all have different tastes in games. I like these because they make me look hard and they make me think.

So I recommend this game and will purchase it when it becomes available as a DD or COTW or I have a freebie I need to use.

Happy gaming!!

Edited on 10/13/2014 at 8:36:58 AM PST

VTCT
Clownfish
Clownfish
591 Posts

[Post New]by VTCT on Oct 13, 14 9:22 AM
Avigation in this game is poor - no go for me.

[Post New]by AverageSizeFish on Oct 13, 14 11:44 AM
Ordinarily I like HOP style games but this one was, quite simply, one of the most boring and annoying games I've played.

The music, the banal dialogue that you have to click through as the words bounce back and forth like a tennis ball on the screen, the painstaking delivery of the "find it" list one item at a time, the boring puzzles, the unappealing scenes, and the lack of anything remotely interesting in the story all added up to a gaming session that was far from fun.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Oct 13, 14 11:47 AM
NO GUSHING OIL WELLS NOR PRAISE FOR THIS OUTDATED GAME

DEFINITELY AN ADULT GAME!

What corruption lurks in the petroleum industry? What dastardly deeds are those wretched oil barons at the "Black" Gold Oil Company up to now? Huh? Gasp! Who would want to defraud the FTB? (AKA - IRS) Embezzlement and tax fraud abound in a "new" game from "Le Singe." Someone is going to make a "killing" in the stock market with 75% stock turnaround. LOL - Really? Where is Bernie Madoff when you need him? Gee - I so want to invest on this "insider " information and so would Bernie.

STORY: SPOILER ALERT: You play Agent Frances Keegan, whose corrupt boss has disappeared seemingly "in on the take" at the FTB (AKA -IRS). As Agent Keegan, you are out to discover what happened to your boss and expose those rascally evil oil barons. Seemingly behind all of this is Mr. Fredericks. As a female James Bond, you sleuth your way into a bar to vamp your way into his life even going through his suitcase (yeah - like you would leave your suitcase unattended with someone you don't know) which contains some rather "adult" items. Really BF? LOL Tax fraud is going to see some major oil tycoon in handcuffs and behind "bars" (and not with "stirred Vodka martinis" in their hands)!

COMMENTS: This game is so "campy" and poorly constructed it is hilarious. (Actually my work buds got a laugh out of it as well - especially the suitcase scene). I believe it has "returned from the dead," being first available on Mac. It is very poorly constructed and dated. The graphics are grainy, one-dimensional with an attempt at 360 degree screen rotation. There is no voice. The game is "clunky" in movement with the return of the "hand" and magnifying glass. You are timed and you receive hints by collecting stars, playing jigsaw puzzles and match 3 games. The HOP scenes require you to find one item at a time or a group of similar items Wow! You get to play "dress up" in this game, wigs and all. I managed to only play 30 excruciating minutes to the "suitcase" scene. Geesh! Opening that suitcase was quite a shock for a "family game site."

It is hard to believe this game comes from the same dev who produced the "Siberia," series "Dracula" series and "The Inquisitor." There is one honor this game can aspire to. I think this game should be listed on the BF Stock Exchange as the the the "Worst and Strangest Game of the Year." Now back to work!

janedoe20
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by janedoe20 on Oct 14, 14 2:54 AM
sunnyglow wrote:[
It is hard to believe this game comes from the same dev who produced the "Siberia," series "Dracula" series and "The Inquisitor." There is one honor this game can aspire to. I think this game should be listed on the BF Stock Exchange as the the the "Worst and Strangest Game of the Year." Now back to work!

[Removed by Moderator]

Edited on 10/15/2014 at 1:12:52 PM PST

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Oct 14, 14 7:58 AM
I haven't been here at Big Fish for some time. The first game I decide to review seems like the old Hd0! I always shut them down immediately without even trying. This time I decided to see is this might be okay.

Right from the beginning I thought this game is made like they were 15 yrs. or more ago. I always hated the Hd0 controls. There are so many easier more player friendly ways,
Hidden objects are to easy to find! I also found the mini games extremely easy.

I was, however, not hating it until I came to the GPS puzzle! I wasted the rest of the demo trying to figure that out! There is no skip button so I wasted what I had left of the demo right there!

One more pet peeve of mine?! Make sure when you make a hidden object game that you know the correct name of the objects! There is a HUGE difference between Suspenders and a GARTER BELT!! One is for holding up a mans pants. The other for holding up a womans stockings! I eventually had to take a hint on that.

Reba7
Seahorse
Seahorse
27 Posts

[Post New]by Reba7 on Oct 14, 14 1:45 PM
OK I do not post on here very much and I guess I should more often. I have been a member to this site for a long time and I have to say this is the WORSE game I have ever downloaded. I do not like that you have to push the buttons on the bottom of the screen all the time and it is just a very slow moving game if you ask me. I know everyone likes different things, this game is just not for me.
I totally agree with Bratzgram on this game. I shut it down right away though.
Thank you

Edited on 10/14/2014 at 1:49:02 PM PST

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Oct 14, 14 3:59 PM

Few Cents Spent to Make Petrodollar$

I played the entire demo.

This game is evidence that there has been little or no change in drawing quality, game play, navigation, puzzles, story, sound effects, music, or anything else from games this developer released five years ago.

That is the bad.

What is the good? You know me - try to find the good in everything. As a matter of fact, because the drawing is so "low-res," some "hidden" items require you to actually look hard to find them. And another thing, us guys can learn a new word - foulard.

Other than that, this one is definitely worth buying - when there is a half price sale on a Daily Deal. Save your Petrodollars for more worthwhile things - like petrol for instance.

One

Go to: