bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Empress of the Deep 3: Legacy of the Phoenix Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Apr 11, 13 12:35 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Empress of the Deep 3: Legacy of the Phoenix Collector's Edition? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Empress of the Deep 3: Legacy of the Phoenix Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Empress of the Deep 3: Legacy of the Phoenix Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Apr 11, 13 12:35 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Apr 11, 13 12:57 AM
Played 20 minutes, casual

- 3 modes, casual, expert, hardcore

- Voice Overs

- Integrated SG which only shows 3 chapters

- Shortly after starting the game you get a notebook which contains 3 parts
- Journal
- Interactive map showing areas of interest
- Amulet part where you store important items found

- Animals from the previous game (whale, dolphin, etc...) follow you to your new location

- H0s, you interact, items not too easy to find sometimes

- Mini games not over difficult up to what I played

- Beautiful graphics

- Good music

Your twin sister is on the loose again and is trying to harm your people. Phoenix takes you to the island where they live... up to you to fight evil again. This looks like a good beautiful game. I've loved the first Empress, less the second one (and so many sparkles in this one if I remember well), I hope this one will be up to the standards of the first one. Most probably a buy for me.

Edited on 04/11/2013 at 1:12:54 AM PST

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Apr 11, 13 1:40 AM

Edited on 04/11/2013 at 3:15:34 AM PST

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by sassylassie on Apr 11, 13 2:45 AM

Edited on 04/11/2013 at 3:16:10 AM PST

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Apr 11, 13 3:40 AM
As a big fan of the first game of this particular serires, and not so much with the 2nd, I was very anxious to see what this one might be like. And I'm not very impressed.

The graphics are nice, and offer some very surreal sort of scenes.
The story looks ok, but nothing I got particularly excited about. It's just another confrontation between the two sisters----already been told.
There is no widescreen, so yesterday.
The voiceovers are nice enough.

But the problem I'm having is the bonus content. Collect some renegade "fish" to open a Match 3? Or, is there more actual gameplay? The whole thing seems rather vague. And, as I'm not into M3 (or the promised concept art----couldn't care less about concept art), this looks like it may be "lacking" in terms of bonus content.

So. overall, a disappointment, and certainly not CE material here. Perhaps a DD someday.

Edited on 04/11/2013 at 4:23:28 AM PST

edmee1947
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by edmee1947 on Apr 11, 13 3:54 AM
i totally agree with cbtx!i have to say 2 more things:easy,very easy,and short!3 hours for the whole game and the bonus(1/4 hour to unlock!)is a match 3 game and thatis all!

Pickles77
Minnow
Minnow
264 Posts

[Post New]by Pickles77 on Apr 11, 13 4:09 AM
Agree with cbtx....not impressed with the gameplay or graphics, very washed out on my computer. I don't like it one bit, on to the next CE!

Joyfullady
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,498 Posts

[Post New]by Joyfullady on Apr 11, 13 6:31 AM
Based on CE trial - played casual. I really enjoyed the first Empress and not so much the second, The third so far is just ok - haven't gone far enough to say one way or the other. The continued fight between the sisters - a bit childish in presentation. Graphics are beautiful and inventive locations, mini games interesting. You have to find and unlock the journal and other special items to use. Once you receive the gem you must find fairies in each area to power it and unlock a special area.

Cats - love them - when one pops in click on it for a special coin to open up areas you can jump to. So far haven't opened an area available - not sure why this isn't part of the map - revealed I'm sure later in the game. There is a door at the beginning which will need to be opened to lead to a bonus game.

In the casual mode (possibly the others) large popups tell you what your mission is and when fulfilled opens and checks it off.

Strategy guide 3 chapters - personally I found it useless. HOGs can be difficult and it doesn't show where anything but the one "hidden" item. So you have to use your hints.

Journal - large writing which was good and some help with codes you've gathered. Must open Journal to get to interactive map - but so far it has been useless. One should be able to jump from area to area within the area you are working.

Bonus material - indicates a match 3 game and Zen game; art concept unlocked after you finish the bonus. So far nothing makes me want to purchase CE.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Apr 11, 13 8:04 AM
There is something about this game that I found quite intriguing, although it does seem 'all over the place'. A transportable map would have been ideal but there are places which you can use to jump to other areas; you just have to find them!

I did find the HOS really tricky; items so well hidden I used many more hints than I normally would. The hint system is useful outside the HOS, which is very helpful as getting lost is easy. Bit too much chat for my liking although I suppose it does give useful information sometimes. The graphics outside the HOS are lovely; within the HOS not as nice.

As for the bonus, if it's just uncovering a Match 3 game then it's of no interest to me whatsoever. And no widescreen for a CE? Sorry devs but that's just unacceptable nowadays. I will probably buy the SE but as a CE it's lacking in too many areas.

Edited on 04/11/2013 at 8:05:49 AM PST

[Post New]by heatherington on Apr 11, 13 8:26 AM
As other's have stated the second one in the series was not all that great and wonderful. I figured since this was a CE it had to be good, right? Lots of hand holding but beautiful graphics, wonderful scenes, really neat things to see and do, a must buy for me.

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Apr 11, 13 10:37 AM
First Impressions Only

BASED ON 30 MIN TRIAL

This is not my usually long thought out review, but just what I felt a half hour into the demo when I stopped playing. I just couldn't go on with it.

The archaic looking graphics depressed me. They haven't improved one iota from the previous game, and they are of a style that just doesn't feel right in a top rung fantasy game. 2 or 3 years ago, yes. Not anymore.

What I saw in 30 mins was not enough to overcome that prejudice. There were a couple of easy puzzles, 3 iHOs, a lot of backstory and cutscenes.

The cutscenes were pretty well done. The 'book' guy Jacob is still very very good.

The music is truly zen-like and my favourite part of this game.

The story is not unusual, but that's not an objection really. Looks like it will be treated in much the same way as Empress of the Deep 2.

A quick peak at the strategy guide shows you'll not be getting much in the way of useful help there. The screenshots are blurry and poor quality, in the HOs, they give only the final item you'll recover, guess you'll need to get hints for the rest. The solutions to puzzles are a bit tight-lipped too. It showed 3 chapters out of what looks like 11.

The extras are what attracts me to the game even though I don't like what I've seen. You must unlock through game play first Zem and then Zem 2, (Match 3 game) Then you can win trophies that unlock artwork. LOVE this idea!

And there are escaped cats to collect - aw!!! I love cats.

So maybe I'll give it a second chance later, but for now, it just looks so awful!! I felt embarrassed looking at it. Not for me...

I don’t recommend this game!

tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by tj1147 on Apr 11, 13 10:52 AM
After playing about half of demo:

I just cannot seem to enjoy this game. There are so many cut scenes and so much talking. I clicked "no" for tutorial, but it is there anyway. I don't like the graphics as they just aren't sharp and clear. In the H0 scenes, so many items are very hard to find and I used the hint to move along after looking for what seemed like a long time. Puzzles...not so bad. I really haven't been able to get into the story either.

For me, this game is not nearly as good or as well done as the previous ones. I don't think I'll be buying it.

geezerhundmom
Guppy
Guppy
191 Posts

[Post New]by geezerhundmom on Apr 11, 13 11:20 AM
I so wanted to like this game! I loved the first one and was disappointed in the second one. And today I was really just wanting a good CE to play...so I sprung for it after doing the beta a few weeks ago. I love the graphics, and the whole fantasy world that it creates, but....
- Puzzles or mini-games are really not inspired - some are so simple to not be worth calling them a puzzle.
- Some of the hidden object scenes are so diffuse and/or dark that funding objects without a hint is near impossible (and i almost never use hints).
- There is way too much going to and fro - after one had passed through the same set of scenes to get to a portal - I really didn't care about the scenery anymore.

I finished the game - took me abut 3-4 hours - and began playing the bonus, and was so bored with the running about to look for a star or a seahorse that I just stopped playing. I found myself really not caring one wit anymore about Anna, Jacob or Pandora.

This is a game that I am kicking myself for buying!

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on Apr 11, 13 11:23 AM
I still think that the 2° one "the blue whale" is my favorite, very beautiful game, so it is this one, and the 1°, but the third one has too many HOS, compare to the second one, the graphics are superb and enchanting, like all the series, actually this one has something more fluid, technically speaking, and more intrighing, the music is enchanting and relaxing, I like a lot, I got it! 6

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Apr 11, 13 11:38 AM
Not my kind of game. Played for 30 min and just couldn't get into it. Didn't like the other 2, so guess it's not for me..

smpilotmom
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by smpilotmom on Apr 11, 13 11:40 AM
Same here, not impressed with this game at all for all of the reasons stated above.

[Post New]by NancySusan on Apr 11, 13 4:05 PM
I also have the first two in this series, and despite the mixed reviews decided to demo this one myself. It did do widescreen on my computer (new HP Envy, Windows 8), although since I'm refusing to mess around with the resolution, it is a little strangely stretched. I played on middle difficulty. I found the HOS's a little tougher than I've been used to for a long time, and used about 2 hints per, unusual for me. We have Anna with her relaxed, nothing bothers me -- much -- voice per usual and Jacob going on and on urgently, and I think I caught an Ian McKellen impersonation from Lord of the Rings at one point. I found a lot of washed out graphics, both in HOS's and in cut scenes. I checked the SG to see what it had to offer (not much) and mostly just used the hint button to navigate, I decided to use the tutorial, but then couldn't find any way to stop it continuing to come up. I know I don't have any interest in playing match 3 in a bonus round, so I'm kind of on the fence about this one -- maybe I'll check it out in SE, because I did like the story, which, yes, is getting a bit worn by this time. Surely Anna can do things on her own by now, without constant prompting.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Apr 11, 13 4:54 PM
It may be that I am getting tired of waiting for a super, fantastic game, but based on the demo, I didn't think it was as bad as others have stated. I, MIss Grumpy Cat, must be getting used to "just okay" games. The graphics are decent, the HOG scenes are okay. The storyline is getting a little old in the tooth. So tired of the twins fighting each other. I must admit that lately I am happy with anything that actually resembles a decent game. To me the games lately have been so horrible, that any game which has any redeeming qualities seems okay to me. To me this is an average game, probably not worthy of the CE status. However, BF needs to do something about the length of these CE games. They are still way too short to be awarded the CE status. That being said, I believe there are some great games coming out shortly. I do not believe they are ready for release as yet. I have seen that the big devs on this site are about to release some really fantastic games, so we all must hold on a little while longer. Also, I am awaiting my semi annual Nancy Drew game in May. At that time, I really don't care what comes out because I will be immersed in that game for a few weeks. So, try it yourself. Alot of mixed reviews here. Lately, we little "fishies" are suffocating in a sea of short, ho-hum games.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Apr 11, 13 5:31 PM
Well, didn't care for the first game, bought the second, but not too sure about this one. The graphics and game play were nice. HOGs okay, but a lot of odd and unusable items are mixed in and make it sort of junky. Did not care for the annoying sound you get when you find an object. Games very simple.

There is way too much dialogue and no skip on most of it. I really like voice overs, but Anna sounds bored and makes some really stupid remarks. The lead in scene is way too long as well and does not do a good job of setting you up for the game play. If you didn't play the 1st of 2nd, you won't know what's going on, other than one twin hates the other.

Hint system is nice and fills quickly. The SG is okay, but when you blow up a picture, it is very blurry. This game was not challenging to me and is in desperate need of some new voices, with some feeling. It sounds like someone is just reading and is quite boring. The more I say, the less I like it. No buy for me.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find it quite enjoyable. Thanks for the reviews.

Go to: