bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for European Mystery: Scent of Desire

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Apr 12, 13 12:36 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of European Mystery: Scent of Desire ? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the European Mystery: Scent of Desire page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for European Mystery: Scent of Desire

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Apr 12, 13 12:36 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Apr 12, 13 12:37 AM
What did Fishies make of the CE version of this game I wonder?

Just click here to find out!

bfgBaikal

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Apr 12, 13 1:32 AM
Morning, Baikal and everyone...

There are 3 gameplay modes: Casual, Advanced, Hardcore.
In the "Game Mode" section you can also click or declick the "Interactive Map". So if you don't want a map, declick it.

There is voice-over.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

There is proper Widescreen without the coloured side bars.

Your Notes are at the left.

Also at the left is your Map, which shows you where you are, where actions can be taken, and where you should come back later. You can also use the Map to jump.

Your HINT button is at the right. It takes about 35 seconds to refill in Casual mode when used in the iHOS (interactive hidden object scenes) or when it shows you where to do something in the scene you are in.
When used outside of the iHOS and it shows you which way to go, the HINT button will refill instantly.

Also at the right (you will get it a little into the game) is your perfume collection kit.

The Inventory list can be locked to stay on top, or unlocked so that it disappears until needed.

The iHOS come in regular intervals but are not too frequent.

Puzzles can be skipped. The SKIP button takes about 35 seconds to fill in Casual mode.

--- --- ---

I didn't buy the CE, but will get the SE. This is an interesting and fun game. The graphics are very well done and, in fact, the whole set-up of the game reminds me of the earlier ERS games.

Joyfullady
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,498 Posts

[Post New]by Joyfullady on Apr 12, 13 6:13 AM
Based on finishing the CE -
Valdy has excellently given the basics of the game.

Additions to his review -
You are a detective who reads about the mysterious murders of young women and that their dehydrated bodies have been found. You travel to Paris during the time of cholera to help solve the mystery. (Note a few semi-gruesome bodies) Story as it plays out is excellent and the voice overs well done, as are the graphics for the time period. Several well done videos enhance game play.

Special note - the game finished semi-satisfactory but the bonus truly added to the ending and was quite long in it self. No occult.

Achievements - 20 one of these is to find 35 hidden symbols through out the game - including the bonus game. They are difficult to locate and often quite small - a small "X" will often reveal where the item is.

Mini-games available in CE after you finish bonus game.

Part of game play is to gain a box of "scents" and a collector vial. This box is used to further your endeavors to solve the mystery. Won't reveal more but it really was fun to find and mix the ingredients. Cleverly done.

Map was wonderful - not only could you see a small picture of the scene but the map had small flags indicating where you needed to fulfill a task. Many places you will travel too.

Journal and SG very helpful.

Excellent game - really enjoyed it once you get over the shock of the first body!

Edited on 04/12/2013 at 6:16:42 AM PST

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Apr 16, 13 2:26 AM
Part of game play is to gain a box of "scents" and a collector vial. This box is used to further your endeavors to solve the mystery. Won't reveal more but it really was fun to find and mix the ingredients.

At that point I quit the demo. Mixing concoctions all the way through the game? Just no.

jillaroogirl
Minnow
Minnow
299 Posts

[Post New]by jillaroogirl on Apr 26, 13 4:26 PM
I really enjoyed this game. The graphics were beautiful, there was a nice mix of puzzles and hidden object scenes - which were all interactive, and there were multiple locations. Voice overs and an interactive map completed the game. An excellent game that I wanted to continue forever. Wish I had bougth the CE now...

Looking forward to the next installment....

[Post New]by DarkForestFaerie on May 3, 13 11:08 AM
This was a thoroughly enjoyable game. Good mapping system, excellent mini puzzles and graphics, just the right length and no occult themes. It ran flawlessly on my computer. It was a very refreshing break from many games I've played lately that had an obsessive use of spiders and snakes. If you want to relax and unwind from life's stresses, I highly recommend this game. I hope we can see more like this!

cat52
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,169 Posts

[Post New]by cat52 on May 12, 13 6:38 PM
Average.

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Jun 17, 13 4:59 AM
Delight For The Senses
BASED ON COMPLETED GAME

When I wrote my review on the CE of this game, I said I’d get around to getting the SE, and that I didn’t think the game was up to CE standards. Having played the SE, now I’m left wondering, what was I thinking?

Before I even start to analyse it, let me first wax rhapsodic for a moment about the MUSIC. I like and appreciate decent music in a game, it lends atmosphere. This game’s music was not just appropriate, but truly magical. I loved its EUROPEAN feel, and its classical harmonies were a beautiful complement to the game’s story.

This IS a wonderful game, the VISUALS are bright, bold colour, drawn exceptionally well. In fact, I’d say one of the BEST examples of HAND DRAWN I’ve seen.

The HOS have objects that are clearly visible, and for the most part match the scene. They are INTERACTIVE LISTS, where the interaction requires an extra couple of steps, making it a real exercise in lateral thinking to find them. For example, to get the magnet we need to move the chicken, to move the chicken we need to feed it, to feet it we need to find the grain, and then the mortar and pestle to grind it. That’s quite a lot of work for a simple magnet!

The PUZZLES struck me as about AVERAGE, some easy, some I had to skip, some new. The RATIO of puzzles to HOS seemed about right too.

I was more interested in the STORY than anything else. You come out of retirement to investigate a strange case of women being kidnapped and murdered by dehydration, happening in cholera-infected Paris. There is much more to this one than a simple murder case, and politics enters the equation, adding to its COMPLEXITY.

The game’s signature feature is the SCENT COLLECTOR & ALCHEMY KIT. These allow you to EXTRACT scent from your environment and mix them into ELIXIRS that can do anything from oil a rusty hinge to save a person’s life. They are a fun addition, and I hope we’ll see more of this potential series, in which they used.

I’m now kicking myself that I didn’t get the CE version, complete with its extra chapter, collectibles and achievements.

I recommend this game!

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Aug 10, 13 7:44 AM
a good , not great game. ithought some of the puzzles were not sufficently explained and the usual incorrect description of h.o's (eg. playing cards=map)

Edited on 08/10/2013 at 7:47:13 AM PST

BlackWaterRules
Shark
Shark
10,153 Posts

[Post New]by BlackWaterRules on Feb 1, 14 11:06 PM
Based on the Demo

The soundtrack for this game is superb, hauntingly beautiful. I could have listened to the background music all day and all night. The voiceovers are very well done. The graphics and visuals are beautiful, amazing.

The storyline is interesting: young women are disappearing all over the countryside, bodies are turning up completely dehydrated. There is a story within a story because there is a plague in addition to the strange disappearances. The Detective is called in to solve the mysteries.

The hidden object scenes are not too easy, not too hard, very entertaining and interactive. The mini puzzles are great. They are all interesting and a lot of fun ranging from easy to moderately hard.

You get an interactive map that is very handy, a journal, and a scent catcher you use to find scents and make perfumes from them.

It is a very interesting multi faceted game.
It was an immediate buy for me.

stanliness
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by stanliness on Jul 1, 14 2:36 PM
This game had such high reviews that I bought it (SE) untried. It was an ok game, but certainly not one I'd care to play again. Very slow, story line was interesting but not very compelling. Not one of my favorites - sorry!

Fishmania
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by Fishmania on Aug 26, 14 7:45 PM
Loving it! If I could unlock it, even better!

[Post New]by moominata on Oct 19, 14 5:06 PM
This game is broken, I'm surprised not to see any posts about it here, because when I Ieft an iPad review just now EVERYONE is ranting on about it in the most recent reviews.

Can't get past the first scene. Talk to the guy, he gives me a key. Get a pin from under the window. Unlock the door... walk inside... but pin is gone from inventory. Then tutorial starts up again from scratch. Huh? Go back outside and the game has reset itself to the beginning. The guy with the key wants to start talking all over again, the pin is back where is was under the window. Double huh?

Deleted and re-downloaded and re-installed several times. Didn't make any difference. I see on iPad reviews that players have tried this too.

Definitely a major bug. Gameplay impossible.

Is this why Big Fish is giving it away free, in the Big Fish app? Because it doesn't work?

Will Big Fish be putting out an update?

Edited on 10/19/2014 at 5:09:48 PM PST

Go to: