Senior Citizens sign in!!

Lambina
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,104 Posts

Re:Senior Citizens sign in!!

[Post New]by Lambina on Apr 10, 18 9:35 AM
glitter2goldfish wrote:Hi Jules,
I just checked on youtube again and found them singing this song. They made a joke about there is a song called "All my exes live in Texas" and said but forget that one we made up our own called "All our exes live in Texas: and then started to sing this hilarious song. The chorus goes as such:

"All our exes live in Texas all our lovers live in Maine. We tried so hard to keep them but they drove us all insane. Love to hug and kiss them till they can't stand it no more. We all get bored too easily and we kick them out the door."

Maybe google..... All Our Exes Live In Texas - All Our Exes LIve in Texas Live Hibernian House Sydney 5.4.13..... because that is where I found it. Maybe it was just a spoof they did live and did not record it on an album but seriously it is out there and it is quite amusing.

Best regards
Glitter

The original All my exes live in Texas was recorded by George Strait and released on his album Ocean Front Property in April 1987.

Edited on 04/10/2018 at 9:37:30 AM PST

[Post New]by LavenderLion on Apr 10, 18 6:22 PM
This forum is always fun! Since I looked last its covered books, music and even some GD talk. Great!

I must somehow have been in tune with all of you, I've had old songs running through my head. "Wildfire", "Horse with no name", "Dock of the bay" and for some reason "I am, I said".

Now I mostly listen to jazz and classical. I got rid of all my old LPs and tapes some time ago. I found the songs I like lived in my head just fine.

Here's one for all you other seniors: remember 8-tracks? Laugh!

Edited on 04/10/2018 at 10:53:12 PM PST

missbethann
Lobster
Lobster
82 Posts

[Post New]by missbethann on Apr 10, 18 9:31 PM
Oh yeah I remember 8-tracks and 45's too. My first 45 was Jerry Lee Lewis!!

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,569 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Apr 11, 18 4:24 AM
When I was little we had some 78s too. At least I think that’s what they were called. Like normal LPs and 45s but yet another speed needed.

bowiecowgirl
Squid
Squid
74 Posts

[Post New]by bowiecowgirl on Apr 11, 18 6:45 AM
Lambina wrote:
I just checked on youtube again and found them singing this song. They made a joke about there is a song called "All my exes live in Texas" and said but forget that one we made up our own called "All our exes live in Texas: and then started to sing this hilarious song. The chorus goes as such:

"All our exes live in Texas all our lovers live in Maine. We tried so hard to keep them but they drove us all insane. Love to hug and kiss them till they can't stand it no more. We all get bored too easily and we kick them out the door."

Maybe google..... All Our Exes Live In Texas - All Our Exes LIve in Texas Live Hibernian House Sydney 5.4.13..... because that is where I found it. Maybe it was just a spoof they did live and did not record it on an album but seriously it is out there and it is quite amusing.

Best regards
Glitter

The original All my exes live in Texas was recorded by George Strait and released on his album Ocean Front Property in April 1987.

I wondered is any of you music experts was going to the get county origin of All My Exes Live in Texas. I don't know all the rock references that have been made but here in Texas it's hard not to know the old country stuff.

bowiecowgirl
Squid
Squid
74 Posts

[Post New]by bowiecowgirl on Apr 11, 18 6:48 AM
lordkalvan wrote:One of the mods said in another thread that you get more points for resource tiles than normal ones, and more for resource tiles that go toward a goal than otherwise. If that helps.

Everest is back. Not too hard. Second flag takes either luck or using a shovel at the start. Fourth not sure if it’s luck or skill needed. Fifth there’s an easy strategy for determining a good starting board which helped a lot.

So, I have played GD well over a year and did not know that you could close out Everest and get a new starting board without being sent back to base camp. Thanks!!!

OOo_jules_oOO
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,036 Posts

[Post New]by OOo_jules_oOO on Apr 11, 18 7:52 AM
Glitter, I finally got round to looking up the song you mentioned that the Exes sang that you found on youtube, its really quite catchy, had not heard that before, and no, it was not recorded on an album. It was quite some years ago though, around the time they were really just forming as a group.

And bowiecowgirl, I didn't know there was even a song called that originally, maybe that was the inspiration for the bands name, although they are not strictly a country band. All I know is, I came across them by accident and was immediately hooked on their music, it was so catchy I wanted to hear it over and over. But its really nothing like the George Strait style of music even though the name must come from that song for some unknown reason probably known only to the band. I hadn't thought too deeply about the why of it all.

and lordkalvan, yes, they were 78s, as the third record speed for a turntable. Each was a different diameter of disc and some needed an adapter in the middle to allow them to sit on the centre spindle. 78s were usually much thicker than the 45s and LPs.

Lambina
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,104 Posts

[Post New]by Lambina on Apr 11, 18 8:55 AM
bowiecowgirl wrote:
Lambina wrote:

Best regards
Glitter

I wondered is any of you music experts was going to the get county origin of All My Exes Live in Texas. I don't know all the rock references that have been made but here in Texas it's hard not to know the old country stuff.

I am not a music expert but I do love country music, I like many genres from the golden oldies and Elvis, the Beattle's, to the 70s rock of my high school years to some of the stuff from today.

[Post New]by glitter2goldfish on Apr 11, 18 11:10 AM
I have always known the song "All My Exes Live in Texas" was by George Strait. I was not a huge fan of country music but my father was and used to sing and play guitar. George is a little newer than most artists he listened to and played their music. He sang and played oldies from the 40's, 50's and 60's like Hank Snow: "I've Been Everywhere", Hank Williams: "Hey Good Lookin" and "Your Cheatn' Heart", Johnny Cash: "Ring of Fire" and "A Boy Named Sue", and Johnny Horton: "Sink the Bismark" and "The Battle of New Orleans". Now how is that for nostalgia. LOL
Jules, I watched an interview with the Exes on youtube as well and they said they were going through song lists for inspiration and that song by George Strait just jumped out and they thought it funny and unique so decided to make it plural and named the band All Our Exes Live in Texas. They were also all writing songs and playing music as single artists prior to forming the band. I checked out more of them and Cold Chisel as well and enjoyed it very much.

Best regards
Glitter

Lambina
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,104 Posts

[Post New]by Lambina on Apr 11, 18 12:30 PM
My father used to listen to all of those songs that you mentioned and I still enjoy hearing them today, but I don't hear them very often anymore except Johnny Cash because I have some of his albums, when it comes to music I like a wide variety of genres, I have Meatloaf Bat out of Hell album too that you mentioned.

OOo_jules_oOO
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,036 Posts

[Post New]by OOo_jules_oOO on Apr 11, 18 5:18 PM
Glitter, fab you found that bit about the reason they chose the name for the band, missed that, but there are so many things on youtube about them, I haven't had time to wade through it all, I have the album and play that so don't often tend to check out youtube. I did have a look at the itunes store last night and they have some other stuff, and it would seem their first few songs and 'mini' album, are more country based, but now its more folk/indie/country pop. Also used to listen to Johnny Horton (had forgotten about the Bismark and New Orleans songs even though they are actually on my ipod, good stuff) and of course, the late great Johnny Cash. What a presence he had on stage, he was a superstar. The song he recorded not long before he died called 'hurt' is brilliant, yet so incredibly sad and touching. I picked up a dvd/cd combo of The Travelling Wilburys a while ago, watching the dvd is amazing, with the End of the Line song showing the guitar left there in the music clip where Roy Orbison would have been playing it (which he did in the recording of course, but not in the video) and then losing George Harrison and lately Tom Petty. Like the Exes band, those guys made magic music together, even if half the lyrics make no sense, its still wonderful stuff. The dvd actually shows them talking about how they made the lyrics up out of stuff and nonsense but it all came together like it was just meant to be. And I love how they were also quirky and called their albums 1 and 3, so that everyone would keep looking for the number 2 and there wasn't one at all. They had a wicked sense of humour.

[Post New]by glitter2goldfish on Apr 11, 18 5:35 PM
Jules, The Exes have a great sense of humour as in one interview I read regarding the bands name this is what they said...."Because we had to come up with a band name in a week for this gig, we googled ‘world’s worst country song titles’ and that was one of the top ones. It was going to be that or ‘it’s your fault our kids are ugly’". Now that is hilarious...

Glitter

OOo_jules_oOO
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,036 Posts

[Post New]by OOo_jules_oOO on Apr 11, 18 6:02 PM
Yes, thats very funny. I must spend more time on youtube looking at stuff, I only tend to look things up when I am prompted to, but there is so much informative and fun things on there.

kailuaauntie
Guppy
Guppy
133 Posts

[Post New]by kailuaauntie on Apr 15, 18 6:33 PM
Just wanted to say aloha nui loa (big hello) to everyone. Got a new pc, haven’t yet found my music files, was able to retrieve my Outlook contacts, but the already-viewed emails went the way of the Dodo Bird. There is a lesson to be learned here, somehow. Tried the non-mobile version of GD, but seeing it on the big screen was just too weird. Hope everyone is enjoying a Happy Springtime.

Trav3lbird
Clownfish
Clownfish
819 Posts

[Post New]by Trav3lbird on Apr 16, 18 1:39 AM
Another Everest arrived but 5 lives later I haven’t got past the first level so I don’t think I will bother wasting time. May e I should actually be doing some real work!

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,569 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Apr 16, 18 6:50 AM
I got to level four my first time, then to level two my second time. The key to level one seems to be making a fairly early. It’s a Blizzard Everest so it’s supposed to be challenging, but I’m not sure I’ll be trying again on this one.

OOo_jules_oOO
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,036 Posts

[Post New]by OOo_jules_oOO on Apr 16, 18 3:54 PM
I also got to level 4 the first time but didn't quite make it through 4, chose to go back and start again rather than waste a boost. Plenty of time to get through them again anyway. Got through 4 second time around, so waiting now till I have at least 3 hours to spare before completing level 5, which will probably be tonight so I can get through a pile of side levels and tier 2 and 3s in Milan that I haven't finished off. Won't get to do them all in this shot but will at least get a few knocked off so it is worth getting through Everest even if I don't use all the hours available.

famvir3
Guppy
Guppy
159 Posts

[Post New]by famvir3 on Apr 16, 18 4:03 PM
I used 2 hours of the Blizzard to get through the last monument on Wild Plains. I netted 200 coins and goodly amount of boosts. (I forgot the lives refill! I should have waited to claim those, instead of closing out in the middle of 4 hours of infinite lives.)

Wild Plains was unusually hard. There was a discussion on why people do 100% of the event cities, I do it because you don’t need to spend a lot of coins on helping hands, resource factories, or ports. But the helping hands alone were way more than the 1100 coin bonus for completion. Basically, there is not a good payoff for finishing.

So I just did the minimum, 4 monuments, plus the prizes from the intern level, then I picked up my ball, and went home.

OOo_jules_oOO
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,036 Posts

[Post New]by OOo_jules_oOO on Apr 16, 18 5:29 PM
Thats certainly a waste famvir3, to close out WP whilst in the middle of the unlimited lives, in fact, its a waste if you have all lives left and close off any city, I now wait till I am at the point of having no lives left and time to play more levels, so I then go to a city to close it off and then get the lives replenished and keep playing. I finished WP a while ago, but have not built the last monument for that reason, but will do it before the time runs out anyway as I worked over a level to fill with enough resources to build the monument so its ready to go when I need it. One time whilst using the unlimited lives from a blizzard E, I spun the wheel every 30 minutes when I needed to spin it, and found that by sheer fluke, the first 3 or 4 spins gave me another life, which of course was useless as i was using unlimited lives. Just the way the cookie crumbles sometimes I guess. Or is it Murphy's law?

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,569 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Apr 16, 18 7:06 PM
Heads up, for anybody who didn’t spot the announcement. The crucial part is:
Beginning April 30, 2018, creating new posts and private messaging will be disabled on the Big Fish Games forums.

Dang I’m going to miss this conversation.....

Go to: