Hotel, Supermarket, Factory Which is Better.... Please Help????

[Post New]by ITSSerenity on Apr 17, 13 3:36 PM
Hello

Can some one please help me...

I'm guessing when you buy/build a hotel, you only earn money when someone lands on your property (like in Trade Mania 1)....

Also, I think when you buy/build a Factory... you get money everyday or every time you pass the "start mark" added to your bank account.... can't tell how much or how often... also you get money when someone lands your property (but not as much, as if you had a hotel). (So I am thinking the benefit of having a factory is that you will receive money even if no one lands the property.

As for the Supermarket.... I am at a total loss.... clueless to, if there is any benefit to owning/building one????

Many thanks to anyone that can help....

sewbizzy
Guppy
Guppy
121 Posts

Re:Hotel, Supermarket, Factory Which is Better.... Please Help????

[Post New]by sewbizzy on Apr 17, 13 5:09 PM
It takes a little time and a little going back and forth on the pop-up screens, but here's my personal guide for what to build on which properties:

Factories: Factories give you a daily (every time it's your turn) stipend, but the rent is substantially decreased on the 1st level and doesn't reach a decent amount again until level 4. I build factories on lower valued properties when there's nothing high-dollar valued to sell in the market.

Supermarkets: Supermarkets give you EXTRA cash when you SELL the goods in your vehicle. The first level gives you an extra 30% and it increases from there - so when you sell something and make $1000 profit, the game will give you an extra $300 if you are on your supermarket property. It does decrease the rent, but not by as much as building a factory. I build supermarkets on properties where I can sell the high dollar value goods at the upper value limit (or close to it). Watch for Oysters in Vancouver, Coins in San Francisco and Caviar in Moscow.

Hotels: Hotels increase the rent, by a little the first level, substantially as you build. I build hotels on high dollar value properties (ones that cost near or over $100,000).

You need a mix. Start with a factory or two. Then strategically place the supermarket where you can max out the profit on those items when you sell them. Then the hotels on the expensive properties in order to bankrupt the other players.

[Post New]by ITSSerenity on Apr 17, 13 9:57 PM
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you so much for this help....

pkw509
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by pkw509 on Apr 18, 13 8:38 AM
Yes thank you Sewbizzy! An additional note - I kept watching my balance every time I passed one of my factories and every time I passed the start mark and finally saw that I received the factory(ies) stipend immediately after the player before me finished his/her turn.

[Post New]by ITSSerenity on Apr 18, 13 2:53 PM
pkw509 wrote:Yes thank you Sewbizzy! An additional note - I kept watching my balance every time I passed one of my factories and every time I passed the start mark and finally saw that I received the factory(ies) stipend immediately after the player before me finished his/her turn.

Okay so that's when you received the money... once you pass the start mark... and/or when you pass the Supermarket you built. I wasn't sure... I thought that you you only got the extra money when you landed on the property that had the Supermarket built on it....

Thank You so much EVERYONE for helping to make a fun game to play that much easier!!!!....

sewbizzy
Guppy
Guppy
121 Posts

[Post New]by sewbizzy on Apr 18, 13 6:23 PM
ITSSerenity wrote:
pkw509 wrote:Yes thank you Sewbizzy! An additional note - I kept watching my balance every time I passed one of my factories and every time I passed the start mark and finally saw that I received the factory(ies) stipend immediately after the player before me finished his/her turn.

Okay so that's when you received the money... once you pass the start mark... and/or when you pass the Supermarket you built. I wasn't sure... I thought that you you only got the extra money when you landed on the property that had the Supermarket built on it....

Thank You so much EVERYONE for helping to make a fun game to play that much easier!!!!....

Actually, you receive the money from factories at the very start of your turn - every turn (unless the factories are shut down - it's an event). Watch your little rectangle in the upper left corner of the screen - it will add the factory money every time your turn starts.

You receive money from the supermarkets ONLY when you are landed on that space and you SELL something at a profit. Watch the green money amounts - you'll see TWO of them instead of one as you sell each item from your 'trunk'.

Passing over a property you own doesn't give you anything.

Edited on 04/18/2013 at 6:24:31 PM PST

EHinSF
Guppy
Guppy
133 Posts

[Post New]by EHinSF on Apr 20, 13 8:18 PM
I'm glad I read this forum on this topic. My first try at the game, I had 13 properties to an opponent's 8, and I had hotels on all 13 properties yet I kept losing money and market share because the game knows to build both hotels and factories. I played for 5 hours thinking I could still win but I quit down 55% to 45%. I restarted the level today, and this time I once again had 13 properties but strategically built hotels on the more expensive properties and factories on the other and won in 3 hours.

cbellcrm
Clownfish
Clownfish
818 Posts

[Post New]by cbellcrm on Apr 21, 13 1:34 AM
I really liked the idea of building factories on low-end properties and hotels on high-end properties. It works great. However, I find the supermarket to be worthless. It reduces the rent, but only has benefit when you land on it and if you happen to have the items you need to sell there. Now, if it paid whenever ANYBODY sold there, it would be worth it. (Also added strategy to not sell on someone else's supermarket.) As it is, you land on a single given property so rarely that I don't see how the supermarket ever pays for itself. I guess if you used a step card to ensure landing on it every time you went around the board, but that then eats into your profit and requires more math than I consider fun.

[Post New]by rcarol on Apr 21, 13 8:23 AM
Supermarkets gives you some control over how much money you can earn. Look for properties that sell items at the top price. The levels multiply the profit by a %. Moscow has caviar, if you buy at $25 ( using 50% card), sell at top price of $71, the profit margin is $46 and the maxed out supermarket can pay 300% of the $46 profit.

I use spreadsheets with the products across the top and properties down the side. As I land on properties I mark down the price: B, +1, +2, -2, -1, T.
Then mark which properties should have supermarkets, factories and hotels.

sewbizzy
Guppy
Guppy
121 Posts

[Post New]by sewbizzy on Apr 21, 13 8:28 AM
I find that I generally only build one supermarket per game - on the one property where I can get maximum profit on the high dollar item(s).

The rent doesn't drop as far into the dirt with a supermarket as it does with a factory, so by the time you get to supermarket level 3, you're getting an additional 90% profit and the rent is a decent chunk of change. And it goes up from there.

But, I do feel that of the three types of properties it has the least amount of benefit, simply because as the other poster noted, you have to land on it to reap the reward.

However, I do notice that the AI players frequently build supermarkets and often not on properties where it works to their advantage, so I have to wonder if their choice of factory/supermarket/hotel is random? And a supermarket on level 1 or 2 does decrease the rent that we pay to them...so gotta look at it that way, too.

EHinSF
Guppy
Guppy
133 Posts

[Post New]by EHinSF on Apr 21, 13 9:00 PM
rcarol wrote:Supermarkets gives you some control over how much money you can earn. Look for properties that sell items at the top price. The levels multiply the profit by a %. Moscow has caviar, if you buy at $25 ( using 50% card), sell at top price of $71, the profit margin is $46 and the maxed out supermarket can pay 300% of the $46 profit.

I use spreadsheets with the products across the top and properties down the side. As I land on properties I mark down the price: B, +1, +2, -2, -1, T.
Then mark which properties should have supermarkets, factories and hotels.

Do you really use spreadsheets? And I thought I was a hardcore gamer. This game really makes you think but there is still so much luck involved.

sewbizzy
Guppy
Guppy
121 Posts

[Post New]by sewbizzy on Apr 22, 13 10:45 AM
Here's an interesting tidbit that I've just discovered.

When your AI opponents build a supermarket on their property, they don't make the extra profit on the sales! So it's completely worthless for them - all it does is decrease the rent for us, at least at the beginning levels.

I noticed this because when I sell something on my supermarket property, it shows up as two green numbers - the first cargo, the second with the little supermarket icon to the left of the green number showing the additional profit earned from the sale of the cargo.

But, if you watch when an AI opponent sells cargo on their own supermarket property, they only get the green cargo number, no additional supermarket notated profit. Editting to add that they must have fixed this particular peculiarity in the game because AI opponents do receive the additional supermarket profit when they sell on their supermarket enhanced properties now.

I'm sure this is an unintentional boo-boo on the developers' part, but it does make it nice for us.

Edited on 04/24/2014 at 3:18:07 PM PST

herrbach
Guppy
Guppy
162 Posts

[Post New]by herrbach on Apr 12, 14 8:06 AM
Thank you everybody for these posts. This thread is REALLY mega-helpful!!

A spreadsheet?! I dunno about my competence with something like that. I'm thinking about just hiring a part-time CPA...

Go to: