bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Secrets of the Dark: Mystery of the Ancestral Estate

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Apr 19, 13 12:38 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Secrets of the Dark: Mystery of the Ancestral Estate ? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Secrets of the Dark: Mystery of the Ancestral Estate page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Secrets of the Dark: Mystery of the Ancestral Estate

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Apr 19, 13 12:38 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Apr 19, 13 12:39 AM
What did Fishies think of the CE game?

Just click here to find out!

bfgBaikal

deejac
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by deejac on Apr 19, 13 2:19 PM

Edited on 04/24/2013 at 1:21:41 AM PST

Sprattie
Herring
Herring
315 Posts

[Post New]by Sprattie on Apr 19, 13 5:31 PM
I downloaded the demo for the SE and realized I had already demoed the CE a few months ago. I'm getting confused by all the similar-sounding game names. Can the developers be encouraged to come up with some really unique names for a change? Something that doesn't have Secrets, Mystery, Curse, Dark or Haunted? Or Dream, Lost or Hidden?

Quailridge
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by Quailridge on Apr 19, 13 8:05 PM

Edited on 04/24/2013 at 1:18:36 AM PST

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on Apr 21, 13 3:54 PM
I don't know how much I have played of this game as I purchased it without playing the demo first but I'm pretty sure I have played beyond the amount the demo would allow.

I am very pleasantly surprised - this is a great game. It has two things that I love very much (and have found in some other games): light changing the environment and very interactive HOS. I found the first HOS to be delightful - it reminds me of Enlightenus. Objects from a list must be placed into the scene and at the end, when every item has been placed correctly, the items work together to provide the reward. Not all HOS are like that one; there are the standard HOS and I also enjoyed those. I haven't run across a junkpile HOS yet. Items are clear and I've found a necklace I would love to have just as a decoration in my bedroom.

Graphics are great. I've grown tired of comic book and cartoonish graphics. The scene showed when the protagonist walks outside the house for the first time is breathtaking - just beautiful!

The game loaded smoothly and I have had zero problems with glitches (knock on wood ). The game play is also smooth. The mini-games are fun (so far) although I had to skip the first chess puzzle. I think I would have solved it over time as I know how a knight can move but I had to keep backing up and finally decided I could go back as I know I will play this game again.

The Hint Button refills quickly and of course games can be skipped. I like the storyline; it's nothing new but a new storyline is rare. There is a journal which is helpful.

I don't even remember the music so it wasn't intrusive. Lately I've found a few games with wonderful music and that would have been an improvement in this game. There is also no map unless I missed it. A map would be nice. So would morphing objects. If I had known of any morphing objects I would have bought the CE. I wasn't aware there were other Secrets of the Dark games. Thank you to the reviewer who pointed that out. I may have played those games but can't remember. Changing light to dark is not new to me so maybe I have. At any rate I will be checking out the other Secrets of the Dark games. If they are as good as this one I will be one happy little minnow.

There is always room for improvement but I love this game and hope that other fishies do, too.

Happy Sunday, everyone!

Edited on 04/21/2013 at 4:03:57 PM PST

phisherman
Guppy
Guppy
164 Posts

review based on demo only

[Post New]by phisherman on Apr 22, 13 9:05 AM
twinsoniclab wrote:I didn't demo the CE since it was said to be "missing" many of the CE features we have come to expect. So, I tried the SE version.

I found that the game is very unresponsive and slow. The first puzzle was easy (as were the next few I encountered), yet frustrating in its unresponsiveness. I felt I was almost fighting the cursor to get it to pick up objects, or move puzzle parts. Click on the two pieces to switch them, over and over, before they would switch. When I did solve it (no stretch of my brain muscles there) it reacted so slowly I thought I had it backwards and was going to start switching when it finally indicated I had finished. Items take a long, slow, flight into the inventory.

While you don't need to play the other Secrets of the Dark games, you must need some background, since your character isn't at all surprised that light and dark change the scene. Fix the lamp we're told, yet no explanation of what the lamp is or what it even looks like. Then we're told about a statue, again, no explanation.

I have no desire to play a game that frustrates me by slow responses. If you play it, I hope you get to go outside and enjoy some of what looked to be beautiful Greek architecture and scenery.

edited to correct grammar
I too found the game to be slow and unresponsive. The game simply did not appeal to me enough to warrant the aggravation. By the way, have a brand new computer using windows 8.

Edited on 04/22/2013 at 9:10:51 AM PST

jberndt
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by jberndt on Apr 23, 13 7:47 PM
Overall I liked the game. However, given the size of the file I thought it would take much more time than it did. So that was a disappointment.

renaki
Guppy
Guppy
122 Posts

[Post New]by renaki on Apr 24, 13 8:40 AM

Based on trial demo.

I loved this game.

I liked these new interactive HOS, like the first one -I think- when you
put objects in their position and at the end the whole scene takes life.

I also like the idea of changing worlds and I love noticing the differences
between them. I liked it in all the other secrets of the dark games.

The mini games are somehow different (I had to read the instructions before
playing them) and because of that interesting.

The scenery is bright, colorful and beautifully detailed even in the dark scenes.

This is not a difficult game but it hold me for the very first scene.

So, I will buy it and maybe come back with more things to say.

cnbmimi11
Guppy
Guppy
192 Posts

[Post New]by cnbmimi11 on Apr 25, 13 12:59 PM
games was great. so many twist and turns.

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Apr 27, 13 11:05 AM
we recommend this game to the game lovers that are a little experienced, it will confuse you if you don't pay attention. give it a 3.5 out of 5 .---------------------------------doug & lisa

manitoban
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by manitoban on May 1, 13 4:30 PM
This would be a great game if there was a map. I couldn't remember where to go, and lost patience enough to use the hint button. The graphics are good and the puzzles are challenging, but I got fraustrated (maybe because I'm sick).

ElderJen
Lobster
Lobster
83 Posts

[Post New]by ElderJen on May 2, 13 11:28 PM
I also was very frustrated with there being no map. I found all the to-ing and fro-ing frustrating especially as I could not remember what room was where after a while. Otherwise I have enjoyed the other good aspects already mentioned..

NiceZombie
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by NiceZombie on May 9, 13 10:04 AM
This third game in the series was not that good as the first two... I didn't even buy the CE; it would not have been worth the money. But as a SE it is good enough for a free coupon code... There are no extras at all, just a bonus chapter.

Only things I enjoyed were the light/darkness gameplay and visuals of the rooms, and solving some very interactive hidden object scenes where the scene comes back to life; those are my favorite. Unfortunately there aren't many of them. And I got annoyed with the constant walking back and forth as well, having to use the hint multiple times to remember where that object goes and so on

layzeedaisy
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by layzeedaisy on May 16, 13 2:50 PM
Review after bought and played through the game.

Always a pleasure to play these light into dark games, I enjoyed the others also. It's just a nice twist and something different from the same old, same old.

Had no problems with the game play, went smoothly for me, no glitches.

Already looking forward to the next in the series.

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on May 30, 13 6:29 AM
this game did nothing for me, way too slow.

addieh
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by addieh on Jun 3, 13 10:55 AM
I have played all 3 games, and I have to say this is the least favorite of the 3.
It was like I was going through the motions instead of following a storyline.
There isn't much to like and I have to say, Temple of Night is my most favorite.

addieh
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by addieh on Jun 3, 13 10:58 AM
I have played all 3 of the games and this is my least favorite. It was like I was only going through the motions. Very slow in places and didn't like the HOS as much as the other games.
Temple of Night is my most favorite.

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Jun 17, 13 5:08 AM
Looks Like A Winner To Me

BASED ON DEMO PLUS WALKTHROUGH

This game had me interested from the very first. From the classical Greek influence of the game interface, to the voiceover and intro cut scene, everything said top quality.

And it is.

Having played the demo and reviewed the walkthrough, I can tell you this is an interesting and varied game, with locations as diverse as the ancestral estate, village settings and underwater. There also seems to be a strong mechanical theme running throughout. Very steam punk.

This is not something I readily get into, but I found myself warming to it in this game because it was mixed with other more ‘picturesque’ scenes.

The two HOs that I did were misplaced items, with a heavy degree of interactivity. The best one was a board made up of miniature inventions which, when you have managed to replace the items pictured, and found and replaced a word list, is set in motion, and an item is eventually handed to you at the end. Think early MCF puzzle boards, but neater.

There are also standard list HOs further into the game.

HOs are outnumbered by puzzles, and I’ve already had to skip a couple, but that is normal for me. The Secrets Of The Dark series have original and above average difficulty puzzles. I’m still thinking maybe I should get the CE for the Strategy Guide.

There are no CE style bells and whistles here, no cute sidekicks, collectibles or achievements. What there is, is excellent gameplay in beautiful locations. And a story that has me intrigued.

Members of a brilliant family, two brothers were involved in creating inventions that will revolutionise life for Greece. Such as, free energy. One took up with a darker power, and eventually his brother had to lock him up in an enchanted gadget of his own invention.

While investigating strange events at the ancestral estate of the brothers, you accidentally let this brother loose. Now it’s up to you to capture and control him again. That’s not going to be easy with harpies already out there protecting him.

Games in this series have an interesting twist - the world is different when viewed in the light or the dark. And the two worlds can affect each other. We are heading into a lunar eclipse in this game, when day becomes night, and this seems to have a bearing on our case.

Just what, I don't yet know, but I'm anxious to find out!

I recommend this game!

Go to: