New Women's Murder Club - A Darker Shade of Grey

[Post New]by cinoda on Feb 26, 09 5:42 PM
I just couldn't wait until BF released the New Women's Murder Club game, so I bought it for $19.99 from MSN. What a dissapointment!!!! You have to wait forever while the dialogue is going on, and the game itself is so easy it's not even enjoyable. When looking for clues everything is highlighted and the mini puzzles are very easy and simple. Tracing letters, putting together ripped paper.......Maybe I'm just spoiled by Ravenherst and the MCF games. The story and the graphics are very good, the game is just so darn easy. The game is also very short. I would suggest downloading the demo to try out first to see if this game is for you.

Sablesshadow
Manatee
Manatee
4,347 Posts

Re:New Women's Murder Club - A Darker Shade of Grey

[Post New]by Sablesshadow on Feb 26, 09 6:13 PM
Thanks, cinoda, and welcome to the forums.

I had been waiting for the second game, because I really enjoyed the first one. Sounds like the second one may be a disappointment (too bad).

I'll demo the second one, but based on your input, I don't have a really good feeling for this game, but as I said, I'll try it.

Thanks for the post.

[Post New]by cinoda on Mar 11, 09 5:20 PM
Sablesshadow, Let me know what you think about A Darker Shade of Grey, I've been reading some reviews that agree with me, but a lot of people are giving it 5 stars. Just curious?

BinLA
Stingray
Stingray
5,914 Posts

[Post New]by BinLA on Mar 11, 09 6:06 PM
cinoda wrote:Sablesshadow, Let me know what you think about A Darker Shade of Grey, I've been reading some reviews that agree with me, but a lot of people are giving it 5 stars. Just curious?

I demo'd it on another site about 2 weeks ago. I thought it was extremely boring. I almost didn't continue the demo but I kept thinking it might get better. I got through half the game in the 1 hour demo, so I knew I wasn't going to buy it.

I guess there's just a difference in what people are looking for in game. I look for challenges in my HO games, while other people just want something to help them wind down after a hard day. It's a good game for people looking for something that isn't challenging.

liz1902
Clownfish
Clownfish
855 Posts

[Post New]by liz1902 on Mar 12, 09 12:45 AM
Hi
I downloaded it from BF yesterday, and played it last night for a while. I haven't even played the whole hour of demo yet and I'm thinking of not bothering cos I agree, there is far too much dialogue, and the HO and puzzles are no challenge at all, all the answers are given to you. I think it might suit someone totally new to games to give them some instruction on what to do! I'm really disappointed cos it sounded so promising

GeeBee
Narwhal
Narwhal
32,109 Posts

[Post New]by GeeBee on Mar 12, 09 12:50 AM
I played the demo last night and decided it wasn't the same caliber as the first one. I enjoy the 1st one, but this one was slower and boring. Didn't buy it either.

bitojoy
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,788 Posts

[Post New]by bitojoy on Mar 12, 09 1:09 AM
I agree in many areas - but I *so* adore James Patterson novels
(however I can read a lot faster than the dialog plays out) lol

flo314ca
Lobster
Lobster
97 Posts

[Post New]by flo314ca on Mar 12, 09 2:44 AM
This game is definitely not worth the purchase. I played the BFG demo and enjoyed it so I searched for another download and before even half an hour was up, I finished the game! I'm really glad I didn't buy this one! Much easier than the first. That at least took a few hours if I remember right!

bfgAegean
Catfish
Catfish
1,568 Posts

[Post New]by bfgAegean on Mar 12, 09 9:32 AM
Hello everyone! I just thought I’d pop in and let you know that I’ve gone ahead and moved this discussion to the forum that we have set up for James Patterson Women's Murder Club: A Darker Shade of Grey. You can find a list of all our individual game forums by clicking here.

Happy gaming!

wenjam
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by wenjam on Mar 12, 09 9:48 AM
I was disappointed with this one, if I remember correctly the first one was quite good. Going to pass on this.

mintjulelip
Minnow
Minnow
232 Posts

[Post New]by mintjulelip on Mar 12, 09 1:13 PM
I agree with most of the above posts. I truly enjoyed the first game but this one was more likely to put me into a coma than to stimulate my brain. The blood testing was beyond ridiculous. How hard is it to pick out a bottle with a certain number on it and add xx amount of drops? At least in the first game the blood or sample testing required some deductive thinking. I made it through the demo but definitely will not be purchasing this one.

FairyonPegasus
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,501 Posts

[Post New]by FairyonPegasus on Mar 12, 09 1:22 PM
Ok I'll be the first one to disagree. I am just now on the 6th investigation and have been playing for 3 hours. It starts off the same way as the first with the sparkly things around areas you need to investigate. I don't know how you investigated both murders all the different rooms of the academy within a 1/2 hour. I'm just now on the 7th room of the academy playing once again as the reporter. The 6th investigation. This is an excellent game. I wasn't going to get it because of the things I read here. Now, I'm glad I decided to try it for myself.

Edited on 03/12/2009 at 1:23:45 PM PST

mintjulelip
Minnow
Minnow
232 Posts

[Post New]by mintjulelip on Mar 12, 09 1:29 PM
Do the mini-games get any more difficult as the game progresses? My problem wasn't with the actual content (story-line) or the mechanics of the game. it just seemed to be a far more "simplified" version of the first game. In the hour I played the demo, I didn't really have to "think" about anything. It just seemed super simple to me. If the game increases in difficulty, then it might be worth purchasing. Thanks for the comment, Fairy!

FairyonPegasus
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,501 Posts

[Post New]by FairyonPegasus on Mar 12, 09 1:54 PM
mintjulelip wrote:Do the mini-games get any more difficult as the game progresses? My problem wasn't with the actual content (story-line) or the mechanics of the game. it just seemed to be a far more "simplified" version of the first game. In the hour I played the demo, I didn't really have to "think" about anything. It just seemed super simple to me. If the game increases in difficulty, then it might be worth purchasing. Thanks for the comment, Fairy!

So far none of the mini games have been really what I would consider difficult or challenging. I didn't think they were in the first game either. I played the first game again last night in about 2 1/2 hours. As a refresher. They don't give you a lot of help as the game progresses just like the first one. Like I forgot to swab the letter before I put it together, so I missed points on it. I guess after what we've been seeing lately with some of the games. I'm just easier to please when it comes to just actually able to see things. The actual storyline making sense. No glitches that I've seen. Anyone that plays HO games know they don't last a long time. Most you can play in a 2 to 3 hours. (Edit: some take a long time like Revenhurst/Madame Fate, but those are few and far between) It's a relaxing game you can enjoy and not stress over. Just like the first one. The only complaint I could make is sometimes the cursor seems to drag. If people liked the first one they should also enjoy this one. It gets better after the second murder. I just think this game is getting a bad rap for no reason.

Edited on 03/12/2009 at 2:00:03 PM PST

Robilyn
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,962 Posts

[Post New]by Robilyn on Mar 12, 09 2:08 PM
This game was a rip off. It took me about 10 minutes after the 1 hour free demo was over to finish it. I want my money back. Will Big Fish give me a refund?

mintjulelip
Minnow
Minnow
232 Posts

[Post New]by mintjulelip on Mar 12, 09 3:47 PM
Thanks for the quick reply, Fairy. Actually, based on what you've said I think I'll buy it and give it a try. It's definitely one of the better games graphic-wise and that's been my issue with some of the games recently released. Fuzzy graphics and/or very tiny objects. This game has a good story-line, great graphics, and a good soundtrack. Worth a try. You changed my mind!

Koodle
Seahorse
Seahorse
27 Posts

[Post New]by Koodle on Mar 12, 09 3:47 PM
Yeah, I'm sorry I wasted the money on this one. I didn't try the demo first because I loved the first WMC game so much that I thought it would be a waste of time.

I also like a little hidden object action in a game, but picking up scraps of paper doesn't do it for me.

And like a lot of you, I found the "conversations" to be tedious.

This was just one huge let down for me.

lindataf
Guppy
Guppy
113 Posts

[Post New]by lindataf on Mar 12, 09 3:51 PM
Heck, this one must be a real 'drowser' if it's simpler than the first...I bought the first and realized that I'd already had about as much challenge in the first hour as I was going to get in the whole game...I loved the books and was hoping the developers would give us MORE of a challenge in the sequel...guess I'll save my money/credit. Thanks for the 411 y'all!

BossBrat
Minnow
Minnow
285 Posts

[Post New]by BossBrat on Mar 12, 09 4:00 PM
Boring. A 2 year old could beat it. And the dialogue between the characters is at least half of the game. Very disappointed with this one!

irishgreen
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by irishgreen on Mar 12, 09 4:07 PM
I like the concept of the game but the dialog drove me crazy. I could spell the words faster that it read. I hate waiting for the dialog to finish and not be able to read it at my own speed.
Too bad cause the idea was good. Won't buy it from the comments here. I'll hand on to my credit for a better game to come along.

Go to: