bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Virtual Families 2: Our Dream House

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Apr 20, 13 12:41 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Virtual Families 2: Our Dream House ? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Virtual Families 2: Our Dream House page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Virtual Families 2: Our Dream House

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Apr 20, 13 12:42 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

Imberis
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,263 Posts

[Post New]by Imberis on Apr 20, 13 1:04 AM
If you liked Virtual Families, this one is more of the same (in a good way)!

This is more of a life simulation game rather than a strategy game, really. I suppose there's a little bit of strategy involved at some points, and there are some puzzles/things to figure out. Your goal, like the name says, is to create a little virtual family.

- Graphics are more crisp and clear than the previous game. I find the little people to be much more adorable now. (I got a particularly precious one as my first guy's wife! LoL)
- Instead of scrolling through menus with the mouse wheel, you have to click and drag the menu up/down. Kind of annoying.
- The house starts off with very few usable rooms. Some you can pay to have a construction crew come fix, and others need you to solve a puzzle first.
- You can now decorate your house how you like, including moving furniture around.
- Furniture can be bought in order to redecorate. However, lots of furniture pieces are locked in the store until you reach a certain generation in-game! I really don't care for that, honestly.
- Certain tasks, like heating up food and preparing meals, still take forever. Also, your people are still a little scatterbrained. One will prepare a whole meal, then go looking for snacks because he's hungry, despite having a whole table full of food in front of him!
- There are multiple stores to purchase things from (all located in the same menu area), and there are sales on random items that change every once in a while.
- There are collectibles like in the first game. Any extras/duplicates you find are automatically sold, and you're given the cash.
- There are trophies (or "goals") to get. Some of them look quite hard and will involve lots of time playing the game.
- The game keeps going while you're not playing (like your people will age even without the game open). You can turn this off in the menu, if you want, although that will make things take much longer.

All in all, I really like this game. My biggest problem is that for some reason, when playing in windowed mode the mouse feels a little unwieldy. It doesn't feel like this in windowed mode, though.
Edit: I am disappointed to see that there are some things that they didn't change while converting this game from iphone format to pc format (the iphone version came out first) such as the help screen mention of "in-app purchases" and lack of mouse scroll wheel support. This makes me wish I could take a star away from my review on the game's page!

Edited on 04/20/2013 at 3:42:09 AM PST

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Apr 20, 13 6:27 AM
I bought this from the dev last week so my first family is a bit more along. Everything that Imberis said (above), I agree with.

I'm playing both versions because they both have their charm. Plus, I'm into about 20 generations on the older game.

The house is a complete wreck in the new game...it even has hazardous waste containers in one room. Thankfully, you can fix that room in the first generation.

The most negative thing about this new game, to me, is that some tasks and objects for sale are locked by generation so that even if you have enough coins you can't buy if your family is in an earlier generation.

Other than that, I'm enjoying the new game.

For those fishies that want a more active game (like Sims), you won't like this as its very slow going.

I just check in once a day for a few minutes to make sure they're all taken care of and handle any unusual events. They pretty much take care of themselves otherwise.

barbiecats2000
Catfish
Catfish
1,668 Posts

[Post New]by barbiecats2000 on Apr 20, 13 7:16 AM
No point in going over things the other fishies have discussed. However, I would like to add some things. I've only played the trial so far and I will purchase because I loved the first game and this looks a little more interesting so far.

I like the fact that items are available in the store for purchase instead of waiting for them to appear although I believe there will be some of those too. I like the bigger house to work on and decorate. The yard is smaller and there isn't a shed but I noticed the fire extinguishers in the workshop.

The workshop seems odd to be inside the house. I guess as you fix the rooms you can turn them into whatever but not sure yet. I exterminated the one room so I guess I'll do a bedroom there since they don't have one. I don't know where the baby will sleep yet when old enough if I haven't fixed another room.

Only issue so far is the mouse. It's very jerky and hard to control in this game but I will report this in the technical link. I'll come back and add more as I get into the game.

jberndt
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by jberndt on Apr 20, 13 7:12 PM
Did not care for it. Played about half the trial time. Mouse difficulties were too annoying and I didn't seem to make any progress. Just boring.

snoopy13
Guppy
Guppy
127 Posts

[Post New]by snoopy13 on Apr 20, 13 11:06 PM
I was hooked on the first one and was excited to try VF2.
Please fix the jerking curser and I will buy it. Until then, the game just isn't playable. The curser goes everywhere but where you want it to go. Perhaps an option to use a regular curser would be an inexpensive bandaid?

Edited on 04/20/2013 at 11:08:31 PM PST

[Post New]by OrionsRose on Apr 21, 13 1:34 PM
I own every PC game this dev has made so I basically knew what to expect and was awaiting this game for a long time. I was impressed with some features like being able to change decor and fix up the house as time goes on so I did buy it though I'm disappointed in it for a few reasons.

I just expected so much more after waiting so long for this game to come out.
I am constantly surprised in this age of widescreen everything that so many new games still aren't being made for widescreen computers. I realize many still don't have them but there should be some provision in these games for the widescreen user...black bars are no longer good enough.
I was stunned at how much of this game was simply a carry-over from the previous and in some cases not even as well done. I know it's a small company and these things take a lot of time but those of us who play their games have seen all this same stuff so much we resort to modifications just so we don't have to look at certain things forever.
Which, ironically, leads me to my next complaint about changing the one thing they really shouldn't have...the look of the people! This dev's characters have a very specific look...in every single game they've made. I found it very disconcerting that the little characters now look...well...wrong. They remind me of other simulation games but not of the previous "Virtual" games that all set the stage for this one. I always found that continuity comforting somehow so I'm not liking that change at all.
Lastly, the cursor...anyone happy here?! Mine actually "works" unlike some people's, it seems, but boy is it annoying how careful you have to be about not going off the edges of the screen or it jumps back to center. Add to that, while trying to be careful, the game often doesn't acknowledge your choice because it isn't in the exact right place it thinks your cursor should be.

Sadly, despite how long it took to get this game out, it feels rushed. It doesn't feel up to par when compared to all their other games which have largely been excellent.

In the long run though, I'll likely enjoy the game and so will others who have enjoyed this dev's other games so I will recommend it but hope the devs take note of some of the concerns their loyal fans have.

zed_dee2
Guppy
Guppy
141 Posts

[Post New]by zed_dee2 on Apr 22, 13 4:52 PM
What a disappointment! After enjoying the first game so much, I have been eagerly awaiting the arrival of VF2, but sadly, it's fairly rubbish

The problems with the cursor & the slow movement of the peeps have been covered here, & now I've also discovered that I can't actually buy the extra coins that I've just spent 2 hours looking for.....

After all the hype too!

What a shame

Minxiepieces
Guppy
Guppy
161 Posts

[Post New]by Minxiepieces on Apr 22, 13 7:19 PM
I agree. Not ready for release and certainly not ready for prime time. It's a shame because the concept is nice.

kore21
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,123 Posts

[Post New]by kore21 on Apr 25, 13 4:52 PM
peeps are spending far too much time wandering around wishing for a second bathroom, or whatever room. too much pressure to have a child before you can even afford a bed. looking at closed off, trashed rooms gets tiring. original game was better.

[Post New]by pamelaann417 on Apr 25, 13 7:01 PM
They should have never released this game before they fixed the frustrating problems. The first game of virtual families is more satisfying.

Edited on 06/13/2013 at 4:43:11 PM PST

[Post New]by CandiCane76 on Apr 26, 13 9:15 AM
So far everyone has said the right things. For me its annoying to have to play in partial screen because my mouse doesn't work properly in full screen mode. I'm almost happy to hear I'm not only one it does that too... Thought my brand new mouse was defective...lol

I would have liked to seen more new changes to the game on this second version. It's pretty much the same game but now with a few "puzzles" and a bigger house. I like the ability to "upgrade" the work areas in VF1. In this version you can only buy added upgrades. I do like being able to decorate the home... huge bonus!

I have been a member of Big Fish for many years and I love the games here. I still really like VF2 just wish it had more changes to it. The ppl are a little better, but still need a lot of work.

[Post New]by CandiCane76 on Apr 26, 13 9:17 AM
pamelaann417 wrote:Wow, this is the most disappointing game update I've ever seen. I have played the original virtual families for several years now. I liked the first game and hoped this would be a clever update. This is amazingly bad. The mouse jumps all over the page when you try to look at a specific thing. They should have never released this game before they fixed the frustrating problems. I bought it and have been playing it. It's not worth it. The first game of virtual families is more satisfying. Wasted money!

play it in windowed mode... not full screen and the mouse works fine, but it still annoying just not as frustrating.

[Post New]by Onion12 on Apr 29, 13 2:54 PM
The game is really good with the exception of the mouse going all over the place. I have played the game on my ipod and there was no problem with the mouse jerking all over the place. But I tell you the biggest problem is that the people move sooooo slow, like they are in a time warp. What happened there? Picking up a collectable takes them about 30 minutes to get back into the house. That is the only problem I have with the game....the jerky mouse I can live with, but the slowness has to go. I will now uninstall the game because its no fun with the people moving that slow, until the devs decide to fix the problem.

[Post New]by Bamafish on May 1, 13 8:48 PM
I was a little disappointed with the game at first, but now I am really enjoying it. I am having a slight problem with the cursor, but not enough to care about fixing it right now (I saw the post that said there will be an update to fix that soon). My biggest complaint is one that I have not seen posted, yet. I think the developers made a mistake by adding a big deck on the front and a small one one the back. I think it should have been reversed, with a porch on the front and a larger deck on the back, since you can place a pool and children's play items in the back yard. Another thing is that there is no outdoor furniture or equipment for either deck, except for a barbecue grill. As some of the others have said, I am also having a problem placing some of the furniture and items where I want. I am really pleased though, that there are so many more items to buy than the original game. I disagree with those who say that this game is not as good as the first one. I think it is a much better game, even though it has some bugs that still need to be worked out.

sephira1
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by sephira1 on May 2, 13 12:25 AM
I have played all the sims games, so maybe I find this slow and frustrating because of that.. I think also its that some things I think should be included to begin are not there ... like a bed.. way too much money to spend on a bed..and no working bedroom or living area.. I can see having to fix up extra bedrooms and baths and decks porches etc.. but most ppl expect a living area and bedroom that's habitable when they move into a place.. the other main thing I find annoying is ill have one person make a meal yet they don't feed their spouse with that meal..they should call their family to the table and feed everyone when you have them make a meal.. and I would like to see the fed bar actually go up.. the other issue is the aging.. I would like to see each generation take at least a month to grow old.. put a lot of time and effort into getting them skills just to have them die off in a week?!? sucks imo.

[Post New]by gamingaddiction on May 8, 13 1:56 PM
I am really disappointed in this game. I feel that they released it before it was ready with so many issues and flaws. A lot of recycled imagery from the first (pink bottles on the fridge...come on, couldn't update that a little, make it a different color), the cursor problems, limited furniture placement, slow moving people, no living space at the get go, expensive beds, game overlaps (bubbles in one family showing in another), and so on. There are a shocking number of flaws with this game. I waited on this game a long time and am sad that this is the result. I would have preferred to wait even longer for a better product.

I would have much preferred to have a complete house from the start (with one or two bedroom, bath, kitch, study, living) and had choices for upgrades and additions later as the game progressed. Give the player a little more opportunity for creativity.

Just so disappointed.....

[Post New]by Nativebrave on May 13, 13 1:52 AM
I feel the same as some of the other fishes, It could have come with an emty room so that the soffer and a T.V. could go in as that is the only way you can get the peeps to have children or as a goal get the peeps to clear one of the two smaller rooms or both
like they had to fix the fountain and clean the shed in VF 1

Edited on 08/10/2013 at 5:33:05 AM PST

Trixietrx
Starfish
Starfish
44 Posts

[Post New]by Trixietrx on May 13, 13 2:55 PM
gamingaddiction wrote:I am really disappointed in this game. I feel that they released it before it was ready with so many issues and flaws. A lot of recycled imagery from the first (pink bottles on the fridge...come on, couldn't update that a little, make it a different color), the cursor problems, limited furniture placement, slow moving people, no living space at the get go, expensive beds, game overlaps (bubbles in one family showing in another), and so on. There are a shocking number of flaws with this game. I waited on this game a long time and am sad that this is the result. I would have preferred to wait even longer for a better product.

I would have much preferred to have a complete house from the start (with one or two bedroom, bath, kitch, study, living) and had choices for upgrades and additions later as the game progressed. Give the player a little more opportunity for creativity.

Just so disappointed.....

I keep trying, really I do, but I think you summed up my feelings about this game pretty well. I'd have paid more for this game, if it were done well, I now am sad I spent the money on this game as opposed to some other. Honestly, I'd wait for a re-release before spending money on this, and a 1 hour trial will not show all the probs.

Go to: