I am Shocked!!

I am Shocked!!

[Post New]by RussRussell on Apr 23, 13 12:14 PM
First I felt so strong about what I am about to say that I took the time to sey up an account just to say this.I have been playing seek and find/adventure games for years and recently have been playing Puppet Show, Lost Town Collectors Edition. When I got to the bonus game it gives you instructions and diagram on how to build a pipe bomb. ERS says in the game it is dynamite, but when you put gunpowder in a metal tube with a fuse and seal it up it is by definition a pipe bomb. The diagram is so simple that a child could fabricate one easily. This is very disturbing and I am deeply offended. Why would Big Fish allow this game? Where is the moderation. Someone should have stopped this game or edited it.

Kukikat
Clownfish
Clownfish
711 Posts

Re:I am Shocked!!

[Post New]by Kukikat on Apr 23, 13 12:16 PM
It's not like they showed something that can't easily be found anywhere in the internet if someone is looking for it...

spenny1
Catfish
Catfish
1,637 Posts

[Post New]by spenny1 on Apr 23, 13 12:52 PM
Um, I have to agree. This is not new information. Pipe bombs have been around for donkeys years, so I really can't see that this game is bringing any new information to the fore. I am truly sorry you find this upsetting, but I genuinely don't think that this in any way bringing new information to the masses. As a child, I used to save up the powder from potato gun strips and put it in a carrot pipe to make a big bang, and this is actually just the same as that. I know we live in troubled times, but I do think that sometimes we can get carried away with what we believe to be threatening.

I also used to throw flint rocks at other stones to try to get quartz. When my brother was showing my nephew, I said, maybe we need science goggles. Then I realised how daft I was being, after all, I'd done it for years without any problem. Maybe this is a similar worry?

Mojave_Rain
Shark
Shark
10,693 Posts

[Post New]by Mojave_Rain on Apr 23, 13 12:53 PM
I would hope the developers welcome information about what their customers feel.

Regardless of the "my choice to play or not" response these sorts of complaints always engender there are things that the vast majority of casual game players would find beyond the pale. Are we to have games about child molestation? A goofy match three making fun of people jumping out of windows on 9/11? Of course not, and those examples may be obvious but there are gray areas like this one that need to be hashed out so the developers have a better feel for what we are willing to accept.

That said I probably wouldn't have given this particular scene a second thought unless I played it directly after reading about a current bombing.

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Apr 23, 13 1:38 PM
RussRussell, welcome to the Forums.

I have to say that I have played these games for many years now and there has always been some scenario where you put various 'this and that' together to blow something up. It's in pretty much all of these games. It doesn't mean in the slightest that it's going to turn people into terrorists.

I have the utmost sympathy with the people of Boston and what has happened. I also have friends here from the US who don't feel that the games promote violence.

We've had our good fair share of it here in the UK too with the London bombings and the IRA for a very long time - games, movies and books do NOT turn you into that kind of person unless that person is so inclined in the first place and indoctrinated elsewhere.

The first bomb I ever blew up in a game was way back in the 90s. It was a Zelda and I had to ring a helpline to solve it - no internet in those days. Games,not all I grant you but these casual ones here are harmless, unless your mindset is different to the majority of people and you really wish to hurt people.

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Apr 23, 13 2:20 PM
and to be fair to bfg,,, they do issue warnings on many of the darker games,,,i dont want more censorship tho,,there is way too much now, in casual games and in the forums....for the most part, thats not a bad thing...but it does tend to go overboard...and like tauret says what one finds offensive, another may not,,,,and all games would only have puppies and kittens in them

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Apr 23, 13 2:25 PM
oops did forget my manners.. sorry..

welcome to the pond russ

hdnobjgamluvr
Shark
Shark
12,611 Posts

[Post New]by hdnobjgamluvr on Apr 23, 13 2:45 PM
Adding a warning is fine. Editing my games, is not. I am an adult, not a child, and I will decide what is appropriate content for me.

wildvaniilagirl
Shark
Shark
14,009 Posts

[Post New]by wildvaniilagirl on Apr 23, 13 2:47 PM
GradmaSue wrote:It's just a game.

.....I agree, these games we play are for fun, nothing but fun,
so let's not open something we might get mad about. lets just have fun with our games

oct2447
Stingray
Stingray
5,937 Posts

[Post New]by oct2447 on Apr 23, 13 3:04 PM
I haven't done much in these games I haven't seen on the Roadrunner or Tom & Jerry cartoons, 3 Stooges or the Marx Brothers. And I have yet to poke someone in the eye, smack someone with a frying pan or drop anything labeled "ACME" on them. How are you going to fight the bad guy without throwing a few punches??

Calais30
Minnow
Minnow
281 Posts

[Post New]by Calais30 on Apr 23, 13 4:27 PM
If you don't like it, don't play it. Please don't ruin it for other people who might like something and then someone complains and prevents access to everyone.

Calais30
Minnow
Minnow
281 Posts

[Post New]by Calais30 on Apr 23, 13 4:30 PM
hdnobjgamluvr wrote:Adding a warning is fine. Editing my games, is not. I am an adult, not a child, and I will decide what is appropriate content for me.

I agree 100%. Honestly, if a game shows someone being bashed in the head with a rock, I would realize it's all entertainment. If the same thing were to happen in real life, it would horrify me. It amazes me what will offend people.

read61
Salmon
Salmon
2,775 Posts

[Post New]by read61 on Apr 23, 13 4:44 PM
I just had a thought - if games eliminated everything that people could or do object to, what would be left? The soundtrack and the credits.............

constantfire
Shark
Shark
12,978 Posts

[Post New]by constantfire on Apr 23, 13 4:50 PM
I am weighing in here with my opinion. I believe that adults make choices. If something offends you, then don't look at it or involve yourself in it. There is a lot of music out there that I detest, so I do not listen to it. If there is a movie on that offends me, I do not watch it. I feel that our country (U.S.A.) is going down a road of too much censorship and the rights of our people are being taken away. I truly think, everyone can make up their own mind what is appropriate for them and what is not. Do we really want someone taking away all choices?

Calais30
Minnow
Minnow
281 Posts

[Post New]by Calais30 on Apr 23, 13 5:09 PM
constantfire wrote:I am weighing in here with my opinion. I believe that adults make choices. If something offends you, then don't look at it or involve yourself in it. There is a lot of music out there that I detest, so I do not listen to it. If there is a movie on that offends me, I do not watch it. I feel that our country (U.S.A.) is going down a road of too much censorship and the rights of our people are being taken away. I truly think, everyone can make up their own mind what is appropriate for them and what is not. Do we really want someone taking away all choices?

Run for office. I'd vote for you!

autumn_leaf
Shark
Shark
12,267 Posts

[Post New]by autumn_leaf on Apr 23, 13 6:07 PM
I don't think showing someone how to do something creates the need to do that thing.

Where there is a will there is a way. I have no desire to learn how to make a bomb. If I had the desire, from what I understand about the internet is you can pretty much learn how to do anything from it.

I choose not too.

I read cookbooks all the time. Doesn't make me cook the recipe however.

However should I ever want to learn how to cook, I will just pull up an E R S game....

Bpup
Manatee
Manatee
3,891 Posts

[Post New]by Bpup on Apr 23, 13 6:12 PM
As someone who tried to collect the powder from a strip of caps when I was a kid, I don't think any of these games are going to put ideas into my head that weren't there before regarding explosives and the like. I sort of outgrew that fascination by the time I was around age eleven, but if I hadn't, I wouldn't be looking for an effective pipe-bomb making recipe from a casual game.

They are casual games marketed toward adults. I am an adult and I have no problem assembling imaginary ingredients to create an imaginary bomb to blow up some imaginary obstacle or some imaginary monster. There is nothing in that activity that is going to make me do the same in real life.

I don't think that the games offered here have to be micro-managed to the point where there are warning labels regarding every single thing that might get someone's knickers in a twist. Commonsense alerts for graphic violence or strong language is all that is needed here; sex isn't even an issue with these games. And commonsense is also required of the purchasers - if a game title includes "Templar" then there's going to be Christian symbols and churches, ditto anything that includes the words "monastery" or "abbey" or similar words in the game blurb. The game titles and game blurbs normally make it very clear when there is going to be a paranormal/supernatural aspect to a game.

Caveat emptor.

lil_chickadee
Minnow
Minnow
248 Posts

[Post New]by lil_chickadee on Apr 23, 13 6:29 PM
Public safety is always inversely proportional to personal freedom or privacy. The more personal privacy and freedom you have, the less public safety. Want to be perfectly safe on that plane? Take 3 hours to search each plane thoroughly with bomb-sniffing dogs and emf detectors between passenger loads. Make everyone (including pilots and baggage handlers) walk through the airport naked and be subjected to cavity searches, make suitcases fly on another plane after they've all been thoroughly taken apart, lining ripped out, clothing searched, etc. Sound silly or overboard? That's what it would take to ensure the highest degree of public safety for air travelers.
The vast majority of us don't want to go that far, so we just settle for an acceptable degree of risk in our lives. Same thing with games. You play a game, you take a risk that you might not like it. Or you write a game, you take a risk that someone will misuse information in it. Any tool can be used for good or ill. You can fix your neighbor's car for free with your wrench set because you know he can't afford to pay a mechanic and needs his car to get to work, or you can bash his head in with it because he allowed dandelions to grow in his lawn and the seed to blow over into yours. Genetics research could give us the cure for cancer, or create some awful superbug that kills us all. Our wonderful electronic communication system can be used to learn about any subject you care to delve into, whether it be a research project on chipmunks for your 4th-grader's school project or how to build a weapon of mass destruction. It's all relative to the user's intent. The tool itself isn't evil, it's the way one chooses to use it.

constantfire
Shark
Shark
12,978 Posts

[Post New]by constantfire on Apr 23, 13 7:30 PM
Personally, I choose to use my imagination and have fun with it. I do not go out in the real world and act upon it. Imagination is just that. Children should be taught to use their imaginations, it is a wonderful thing. When I was a very young child, we played army and used sticks for guns and pine cones for grenades. We pretended to be fairies and witches. Sometimes we were firemen and policemen. Does anyone know how to differentiate between games and real life?

This really makes me sad. Parents teach your children the difference between imagination and what happens in real life. It is simple. Take the time out of your busy schedules to teach your children right from wrong.

kristidumplin
Manatee
Manatee
3,656 Posts

[Post New]by kristidumplin on Apr 23, 13 7:45 PM
This is just a game Russ, but I understand your being upset by this. Some will be. Some wont' be. It's just part of a game..a very good game. If someone wants to learn to build a bomb, there are hundreds of sites all over the internet that anyone, including children, can access. I would worry WAY more about those than a bit of dynamite in a hidden object game.

Go to: