latinavixn
Guppy
Guppy
103 Posts

A few tips & strategies I've picked up along the way, thought I'd share....

[Post New]by latinavixn on Apr 23, 13 1:57 PM
How to choose your adoptee so you dont struggle financially:
This tip I learned the hard way (from previous families always being broke lol): No matter what gender YOU are (the player), always choose a male character to start out with. Heres why: When you start the game & have to choose a peep to adopt you are given an endless amount of characters to choose from. You always want to choose a MALE character who has a 200 or more income, preferably around 270, so that his career advances actually make a difference in the income quicker. Because even if you choose a female who has a high income, she cant work while shes carrying the baby & because you have no way of knowing what marriage proposals you'll get (they could all be poor), youve already set yourself up to struggle. By choosing your initial peep to be a male with a high income you ensure that while the wife is pregnant & unable to work that you still have a high income coming in. You can also upgrade your peep to change careers or attend online classes.
Double your money for one collectible:Drag 2 people very close to the collectible, but not ON it, you dont want them picking it up yet. Place the first person on the collectible to pick it up, & VERY QUICKLY drop the other person on it. They will both bend down, and pick up TWO of the very same collectible. If it was worth 5 coins, you've now made 10! If its an item you havent collected before one of them will go in the collections & the other can be sold on the internet for profit. Its a quick way to make money faster. If youre impatient: Once theyre walking with the collectible you can drag them to something else and you'll still collect the $. They dont need to get to the comp for it to count.
You dont always need baby boost:
Dr consultation said that she would need baby boost if children were being considered,not true. I waited 5 minutes & mated them,& a child was born..without baby boost. Also if you have a mate that isnt receptive to the whole idea of kids & they always argue, try this: While theyre "arguing" one of them will attempt to walk away & do something else, immediately drag them back to their mate, they will sometimes try to make a baby. I got 5 kids this way lol. I also suggest having multiple families going at the same time, it keeps a slow moving game going.
Always sick:Save up to clean up the toxic room quickly. The families are more prone to illness & being tired until that rooms cleaned up.

Edited on 04/24/2013 at 6:25:23 AM PST

gran49
Minnow
Minnow
200 Posts

Re:A few tips & strategies I've picked up along the way, thought I'd share....

[Post New]by gran49 on Apr 23, 13 2:21 PM
Good tips and good reminders.

I have also found that cleaning up the toxic room needs to be at the very top of the family priority list !!!

gran49
Minnow
Minnow
200 Posts

[Post New]by gran49 on Apr 23, 13 2:32 PM
Choosing a male founder really can be a good starting out option.

However, I have found that a female can also prove to be a good family founder. I try to limit generation one to no more than two children. Although a mother can not work while taking care of an infant she is able to sell collectibles and carries the baby around for a relatively short time.

latinavixn
Guppy
Guppy
103 Posts

[Post New]by latinavixn on Apr 23, 13 2:39 PM
I absolutely agree I've just found that the families that I chose a male with a higher income to start, had less financial struggles when the income was reduced to one. Now mind you, this is not at all to suggest that we women are not capable lol...we sooooo are, but we can also work while carrying lol.

[Post New]by OrionsRose on Apr 23, 13 4:08 PM
A note though about that, in VF1 this was usually the case and I'm noticing it with VF2 as well...the woman is most often the higher earner and despite always going for 6 kids with each family I've often had the women advance at a very high rate and therefore surpass her husband financially in spite of caring for the children. So really, I believe you can choose whichever gender you'd prefer to start with and still have success. I agree though about choosing someone with a decent bank balance and earning potential early on or it will take forever.

Also, with regards to the collectables, if they are ones to sell you don't have to wait for the person to get all the way to the computer. Just give them a second to actually pick the collectable up and then as they start walking to the office, just pick them up again. The collectable will disappear but you'll have the money for it. This is particularly useful if there are several collectables laying around and not enough idle people (never use someone who's working unless they are the only person you have) to collect them.

lorie56
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,872 Posts

[Post New]by lorie56 on Apr 23, 13 8:32 PM
gran49 wrote:Choosing a male founder really can be a good starting out option.

However, I have found that a female can also prove to be a good family founder. I try to limit generation one to no more than two children. Although a mother can not work while taking care of an infant she is able to sell collectibles and carries the baby around for a relatively short time.

I do the same thing with limiting the first family to 2 children. I also don't have my founding peep get married until they are fully trained in their career and not have a baby until the wife has received her second promotion.

gran49
Minnow
Minnow
200 Posts

[Post New]by gran49 on Apr 23, 13 10:26 PM
lorie56 wrote:
gran49 wrote:Choosing a male founder really can be a good starting out option.

I do the same thing with limiting the first family to 2 children. I also don't have my founding peep get married until they are fully trained in their career and not have a baby until the wife has received her second promotion.

AND... if per chance an orphan shows up or an adoption option is purchased the founding Sim can remain single! (In VF 1 the only way to adopt was to hope an orphan showed up by chance.)

dogzy
Minnow
Minnow
293 Posts

[Post New]by dogzy on Apr 24, 13 2:22 AM
which room is regarded as the toxic room?

latinavixn
Guppy
Guppy
103 Posts

[Post New]by latinavixn on Apr 24, 13 4:54 AM
The toxic room is the large room on the right side of the house just above the kitchen. Its full of several barrels with a toxic logo on them.

[Post New]by turkthesnake on Apr 24, 13 8:01 PM
The double collectable thing has never worked for me.

latinavixn
Guppy
Guppy
103 Posts

[Post New]by latinavixn on Apr 24, 13 9:22 PM
turkthesnake wrote:The double collectable thing has never worked for me.

You can do it 2 different ways:

Place a peep on the collectible and then quickly ( before they have a chance to stand up ) hit the space bar to pause the game. Then while still paused drag another peep on the collectible, now un-pause the game. When they rise they'll both be carrying one.

I find it easier and quicker to just drag 2 peeps close to the area, place one on the collectible and then quickly drop the other one on it. I dont have the patience for all the pausing lol. Its a little harder to do it this way though if youre using a really young child, because they move so quickly.

Try both ways and see which works for you, its definitely worth it, the money accumulates so much faster from doing this

[Post New]by turkthesnake on Apr 24, 13 9:31 PM
I have tried both ways, in VV games as well as this. I think it might be that I have a mac. In any case, the very second a kid's activity shows "selling a collectible online" (or taking x to the scientists, or whatever), it's like the thing is invisible to everyone else, even if it's still technically on the ground.

latinavixn
Guppy
Guppy
103 Posts

[Post New]by latinavixn on Apr 25, 13 5:27 AM
turkthesnake wrote:I have tried both ways, in VV games as well as this. I think it might be that I have a mac. In any case, the very second a kid's activity shows "selling a collectible online" (or taking x to the scientists, or whatever), it's like the thing is invisible to everyone else, even if it's still technically on the ground.

Thats really weird, I've never encountered that. You're probably right, it could very well be because you use a mac, perhaps its different. I've noticed a few things that ppl say that encounter on here that I've never experienced (like some ppl are saying that it takes forever, like 10 mins for the peep to make dinner) so I timed it last nite, it took exactly 2.75 mins. So I'm wondering if the different computers/OS makes a difference in our experiences. I hope you're able to find a way to do it though, cuz its really helpful.

Dorathea
Salmon
Salmon
2,794 Posts

[Post New]by Dorathea on Apr 25, 13 6:25 AM
latinavixn wrote:I absolutely agree I've just found that the families that I chose a male with a higher income to start, had less financial struggles when the income was reduced to one. Now mind you, this is not at all to suggest that we women are not capable lol...we sooooo are, but we can also work while carrying lol.

- my bolding

The income is never reduced to one! The women do get theire salary! What they can't is working on theire career while they carry a baby.

I alway choose a woman to start my families and having a couple of children never sets her back career wise

Cryst1781
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by Cryst1781 on Apr 25, 13 6:32 PM
How do you fix things? like a broken sink?

latinavixn
Guppy
Guppy
103 Posts

[Post New]by latinavixn on Apr 25, 13 8:09 PM
Cryst1781 wrote:How do you fix things? like a broken sink?

When the sinks are leaking/shower and toilets are clogged: go into the workshop and there are 2 work tables that are pushed together with stools in front of them. You want to drop your peep at the table on the left and on the left side of the stool on that table or on the stool.

Cryst1781
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by Cryst1781 on Apr 26, 13 11:17 AM
Okay great...now another question...my man went from level 1 job to level 2, a promotion if you will but his salary was reduced from 210 to 120....WTF? How am I ever going to make any money? slowest game ever. I mean, should I just leave them to their own devices for like a week or something? lol.

lorie56
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,872 Posts

[Post New]by lorie56 on Apr 26, 13 1:08 PM
Cryst1781 wrote:Okay great...now another question...my man went from level 1 job to level 2, a promotion if you will but his salary was reduced from 210 to 120....WTF? How am I ever going to make any money? slowest game ever. I mean, should I just leave them to their own devices for like a week or something? lol.

What is his career? I don't know about VF2, but in VF1 I had a peep who was a day trader and her income would flucuate depending on the market.

lakitten
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

[Post New]by lakitten on Apr 26, 13 3:23 PM
Are you able to sell back old furniture?

latinavixn
Guppy
Guppy
103 Posts

[Post New]by latinavixn on Apr 26, 13 3:52 PM
Cryst1781 wrote:Okay great...now another question...my man went from level 1 job to level 2, a promotion if you will but his salary was reduced from 210 to 120....WTF? How am I ever going to make any money? slowest game ever. I mean, should I just leave them to their own devices for like a week or something? lol.

Thats really weird, but one nice thing about vf2 is that once you have enough money saved you can upgrade your peep and switch careers if you find that the salary fluctuates too much in the current career. The only problem is if its hard for you to make money it might be a bit hard to come up with the $1,200 it costs to switch careers and you'll also be starting back at level 1. In the long term though it might be worth it.

Go to: