bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Masque of the Red Death Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Apr 25, 13 12:37 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Masque of the Red Death Collector's Edition? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Masque of the Red Death Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Masque of the Red Death Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Apr 25, 13 12:37 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

Re:Reviews for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Masque of the Red Death Collector's Edition

[Post New]by sassylassie on Apr 25, 13 1:01 AM
Hello my friends at ERS! I had the utmost pleasure of playing the beta version and loved every single minute of it and couldn't wait till the full version came. This game is beyond a 10/10 and it has our wonderful Detective Dupin.

Story: The Mayor calls you in on this one, but the letter is signed by Jaques Morro. After you get done talking to Det. Dupin you see a scene of people throwing eggs at the Mayor's statue and shouting obscenities at the statue. Like Dupin states this doesn't look good. Down the road you'll run into an old woman and she will put a twist on the story.

Graphics: Absolutely superb. Crisp and clear. But this is ERS and their top notch art team. Even in the hidden object scenes they're clear as a bell.

Music: Fits the game beautifully. I love the violin anyways.

Mini games: They were just right for me. Challenging and they make you think. Truly enjoyed them in the beta version.

Hint system. Awesome. Works both in and out of H0G's.

Map: Jump map. Love it!

ERS did superbly in this one as well. I am glad the full version is released, because where the beta version left off, disturbing. After all we are talking Det. Dupin here Kudos to this team once again! Have fun!

CelticCoco
Clownfish
Clownfish
514 Posts

[Post New]by CelticCoco on Apr 25, 13 1:36 AM
Only had time to play for a few minutes but love this one already! One extra that I discovered is the camera at the bottom left. You get to take photos of the scenes and they save into your pictures folder so I got to make my own wallpaper! This is a great plus for me as I have a new Windows 8 computer and it won't let me screen capture from my games. I will be buying this one, just not sure which version yet.

Do love Dauphin! As handsome as ever! You get an office with achievements in this game. I'm a sucker for this series, and if you liked the previous games you'll probably love this one too!

CelticCoco

Hespera
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,170 Posts

[Post New]by Hespera on Apr 25, 13 1:51 AM
I've just played the demo, but so far:

This is another game that has full screen with aspect ratio correction. So you won't see any decorative borders on the sides of your screens.

There are lots of animals, but no dress-up or other helpers of any sort so far. In order to have a map, you have to take photographs. So those who don't care about a map don't have to bother.

Puzzles so far have been really easy: put wheels and carriage on a train die-cut on a door and it opens automatically; set clocks to the same time; make bread; find the marble under the cup;

The truly intriguing part of the game has to do with the 'who is more guilty' aspect. I can't wait to see how that pans out.

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Apr 25, 13 2:19 AM
Another entry in the "Dark Tales" series----this is the 5th one. But don't think for a minute that it is based on the Poe story, because it is not, at all. It's simply a mystery of its own, so, in that sense, it will have to stand on its own merits.
I was a fan of the "Dark Tales" for the first three games (Gold Bug----not so much), and this one I'm on the fence about. But so far the story is just so-so. It seems to take a while to get started. (Bake a loaf of bread? Just boring.)

There are some good things about the game:
-the widescreen presentation that ERS has at long last provided (2nd game).
-the puzzles are stepped up a tiny bit, and not so easy as they have been.(still need more challenge).
-there is a nice CE package with lots of extras including replays on puzzles and HOS.
-there is an interactive map.
-there is an achievement room that is cleverly done for your accomplishments.

There are some drawbacks:
-the graphics have that foggy look again. They are easy to see, but not clear and clean as the last game (Redemption Cemetery) and as ERS is so capable of. Backgrounds in the HOS just sort of blurred out. Really a shame.
-the music is sort of grating and repetitious, and I swear I can hear the chords and melodies used in other ERS games.
-although the kitten is indeed very cute, the "cute critter" device is getting a little tiresome. In this game it's just distracting. (And there is no bigger lover of cats and kittens than me!)
-you have to do the same HOS multiple times, very unappealing.

So, I'll probably wait for the SE on this one, or a sale. Really a letdown after the last offering from ERS. But these devs seem to be listening a bit, and trying to get back where they once were, and I'm pulling for them. (Although I noticed that they posted one time in the forums for the last game, and never replied to a single comment after that post.)

Overall, about 6/10----but Redemption Cemetery is a very tough act to follow!

Ed. ---- spelling

Edited on 04/25/2013 at 2:22:09 AM PST

gmac1007
Clownfish
Clownfish
569 Posts

[Post New]by gmac1007 on Apr 25, 13 2:33 AM
Oh Snap ! It's time to go undercover with the sexy Dupin again. I'll just have to find my sexiest detective outfit and be on my way god knows I wouldn't want to keep that honey of a man waiting and it looks like this time he's got a biggie on his hands and really needs the extra help so therefore I shall not refuse the handsome Dupin. Better grab my stilletto heels and extra set of handcuffs in case he decides to get rough oh I mean the criminals of course.

What a game ERS has delivered this week this one is full of everything under the sun and then some we have animals, we have awards, we have photos to take, we have a transporting map and of course we have all the eye candy one could possibly imagine and the biggest piece of eye candy is Dupin of course. You have a private office where all of your photos and awards are stored if you look on the back wall you'll see some pictures click on them and get a surprise with each one I thought that was a really cool touch kudos to the rabbit !

Awesome game loaded with all kinds of fun gorgeous scenery and a truly original who done it was it a crooked city official or was it the shadowy man you only catch a glimpse of seems everyone in town thinks the shadowy man is somewhat of a hero and could really care less about the mayor so who is the culprit well I'm not sure but I'm looking forward to finding out.

As you gather clues for the case you get spheres of colors some are red and some blue you have a lady of justice scale that you click on and place the spheres on the one you think is truly the guilty one and I think from the demo you need to do this in order to really solve the case but I'm not too sure but at any rate that is another little cute mini game the rabbit tossed in with this one. The hos are list and silhouette and are interactive and also gorgeous. The colors are bold and bright so the items are fairly easy to find. The music is the typical accordion french sounding music really nice not intrusive. The voice overs are done really nice and the story I think will play out real nice so far it's got a great balance of everything.

This was a definite buy for me the demo flew by. ERS has delivered a great game this week that is lots of fun and seems to be a good length. Give the demo a try it's definitely worth it. Thank you ERS for another adventure with the handsome Dupin and thank you Big Fish for another day of no laundry. Have fun everybody !

LadyLark
Minnow
Minnow
285 Posts

[Post New]by LadyLark on Apr 25, 13 3:25 AM
Ah, the dishy Det. Dupin returns! Somewhat interesting game, but of course, in no way related to the Poe tale except by title! Puzzles are, for the most part, too easy although I did skip one due to mechanical quirkiness (swap statue pieces). Also, far too many anachronisms in this one (a personal peeve, I agree). So far, the voice actors are pretty good, none of the bad female or children's' voices ERS is famous for YET. I did finish the demo with a minute to spare, so who knows what's down the road? As much as the bonus game mildly intrigues and the kitty is cute, I'll have to wait for the SE.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Apr 25, 13 8:08 AM
Afternoon, all...

There are 3 gameplay modes: Casual, Advanced, Hard. They can be changed any time throughout the game.

There is voice-over.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

There is proper widescreen.

Your Diary is at the left. Inside you will find your MAP, which can be used to jump, but doesn't show where you are or where actions are needed.

Also at the left is your Camera, which you can use to take a photo of each scene you come across.

At the very top of your screen is a red tab. Click on it, and you can get to your Hall of Achievements, in which you will also find your photo album, which holds the photos taken so far.
In this room you will also find the kitten you will pick up early in the game. Toys you find throughout the game, will be placed with the kitty. Click on a toy and the cat will play with it. CUTE !!

Right above your Camera is the MENU button. (Took me a moment to figure out where the menu button was hidden).

The HINT button is at the right. It takes about 35 seconds for the HINT button to refill in Casual mode, inside and out of the iHOS (interactive hidden object scenes), which all seem to be of the usual "find items by the list" variety. Whether they will change to something more fun later on in the game...

Also at the right you will have your Scales of Justice, which you will get a little into the game. Even if you skip the Tutorial, all will be explained about this and the camera.

Puzzles so far are on the easy side (thank you, ERS), and I didn't have to use the SKIP button. But I am assuming from past experience that the SKIP button will probably take as long as the HINT button to fill (approx. 35 seconds in Casual mode).

--- --- ---

I love the graphics and gameplay and, unlike cbtx, I loved having to bake the bread. Did it right with the second attempt.

I also didn't find the graphics to be foggy. Yes, there are sun beams every once in a while (hate those), but other than that the graphics appeared clear and clean to me.

I may get the CE on Monday, when we are getting an extra bonus punch. I have 2 punches right now, and the month is drawing to a close. So unless there is a really super CE coming up on Thursday (which I will then buy on Monday), I will get this one. But whether I will get it as a CE or SE, I will get it.
I own all the previous "Dark Tales" games and love them. I am sure I won't be disappointed with this one either.

Edited on 04/25/2013 at 1:20:47 PM PST

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Apr 25, 13 8:52 AM
Here we are again with Mr. Poe and his stories. I loved EAP and as a kid, watched every single Vincent Price movie he did based on a Poe story. Yes, this is one of his stories, but based on the demo, is very, very loosely based on the actual Poe story. Hollywood does it all the time, so why not?

I have the first 3 Dark Tales and really enjoyed them...did not care for the Golden Bug, so didn't buy that one. As usual, ERS has very nice graphics and game play (only had one little problem which I will send to the techs). HOGs are very simple and clean, although you do visit the same ones multiple times...didn't put a lot of work into this one. Games are very simple and take no real thought to complete (not challenging at all).

Loved the little kitty, although there was no need for it at all. Also do not get the need for taking the pictures. How is that going to help determine who the bad guy is? Did not see anything morphing or anything extra to do, other than the pictures.

Did not care for the placement of the SG (which is good), camera and journal. They are much too close together. Do like the ability to lock the inventory bar; and like the map. Voice overs are very well done (always a major plus for any game - makes them come to life).

This game is not extremely challenging, but well done. I did not sit on the edge of my seat when it came to an end, but I did enjoy it enough to buy it. Just not sure it will be today. Trying to not buy CE games so I can use up my credits before I lose any more of them.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tases in games and you may not care for it at all. Thanks for the reviews.

pvsquare
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by pvsquare on Apr 25, 13 9:53 AM
I have played the other Dark Tales so I will be playing this one too. ERS has a history of making an excellent game for this series. In fact ERS has not dissapointed me on any of thier games.

barbee44
Clownfish
Clownfish
667 Posts

[Post New]by barbee44 on Apr 25, 13 11:31 AM
cbtx wrote:
-the graphics have that foggy look again. They are easy to see, but not clear and clean as the last game (Redemption Cemetery) and as ERS is so capable of. Backgrounds in the HOS just sort of blurred out. Really a shame.
-the music is sort of grating and repetitious, and I swear I can hear the chords and melodies used in other ERS games.
-although the kitten is indeed very cute, the "cute critter" device is getting a little tiresome. In this game it's just distracting. (And there is no bigger lover of cats and kittens than me!)
-you have to do the same HOS multiple times, very unappealing.

Based on demo, I agree with cbtx. To have to find objects in the same scene over and over is lazy on the part of the developers and as far as the game play it's same old same old. Nothing new and exciting. I didn't see anything new in the game that isn't in every game out already except the camera which I wouldn't use anyway. Wish the devs would give us some different HOG scenes, and maybe some different game play.

The graphics for me were clear except for the HOG backgrounds were a bit misty, probably to help hide the objects. The music fit the story. It's another "no buy" for me. If I want to play the same old stuff, I'll just pick one of my 200 games already purchased and replay it. Same thing.

[Post New]by CathyCatfish on Apr 25, 13 2:26 PM

double yawn.

i agree with barbee44, cbtx and twinsoniclab.

this game is a cookie cutter of all the rest of the ERS games series. i own all the puppetshows but the last one, same with redemption cemeteries, all the shadow wolfs, all the grim facades... yes, i was an ERS lover at one time! no more.

and we pick up a BEAR (!) and pack him around!

and, WHY is the flour not in the dang bakery where it belongs? we have to go back to the little office outside of town to find the flour in the HOS? (that we're playing for the second time!) i gave up at that point. the puzzles are not even puzzles. there's nothing puzzling about them.
and, the directions are wrong in the "find the marble" "puzzle"... it says get three of five correct, which i did with the first three, but the "puzzle" didn't stop there, it required me to get FIVE of five, not three.

TBC...

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Apr 25, 13 2:28 PM
I loved this game.. It had all the sparkles and bangs of a great game. Loved the little animals and can't wait until I buy it to find out all the great puzzles and find out just what is happening with the Masque of the Red Death??? It has a map, hints are good along with the guide you get when you buy the CE. Take pictures for your photo album and has so many bells and whistles I haven't scratched the surface. Graphics are Gorgeous as usual and can't wait until I buy the CE so I can get on with the story..Give this a 5 out of 5 star..

Edited on 04/25/2013 at 2:30:08 PM PST

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Apr 25, 13 2:54 PM
After a hard time trying to install the game finally I got it, I have to say the wait was worth it, our beloved and beautiful detective is back with another case.

This Dark Tales series are very interesting, engaging and hard pass over.

The graphics as usual are gorgeous I wonder also to whom the main lovely character was modeled too.

This one is a keeper.

Edited on 04/25/2013 at 3:03:34 PM PST

[Post New]by CathyCatfish on Apr 25, 13 2:57 PM

continued...
and, i know it's nit-picky, but in the first HOS, the perspective is OFF. it's not possible to see the entire side of the jug and pot and also see the entire TOP of the jug and pot. as an artist, this bothers me. ERS is also an "artist" so they should get their perspectives correct.

i'm bored to tears with the "cute kitten" to "play with" and find [stuff] for... a boring distraction. the camera? meh.
the music is same-old same-old.
the font for the subtitles is, i guess, trying to look "french" but it's hard to read... and meanwhile, dear dupin isn't even trying to sound french.
the graphics are back to the hazy style. we saw great graphics in the lastest RC CE, why not now?

ya know, i really was going to try to find some redeeming quality about this game, but i just cannot. but, there are a few fishies here who have NO criticisms at all, just raving about how perfect it all is. i guess my review is just the flip side of that coin.

ERS, if you MUST release constantly release sequels (and my thanks to fishie "govegril" who pointed out that ERS stands for "eternally releasing sequels"!), why can you not release a sequel to "dark alleys"?? you know, like maybe "dark alleys: bates motel"?? now that's a game i'd almost surely buy, as long as you stick to the harder puzzles (like the first one) and leave OUT the "cute" animals.

please?

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Apr 25, 13 3:58 PM
This is one of the sequels I really love. "Tres bon mes amis." This is not based on the Edgar Alan Poe story. Considering what occurred in Boston this past week, this is a nice little tribute to one of it's finest authors. Of course, Dupin is my idea of the ideal "homme bel." He really lights up my rather humdrum day! I do not mind a bit helping him investigate a murder! Lately the GamERS have upped their game in game creation. Love the graphics, the storyline (not based on the book, but who cares), the puzzles, the "muzac" for a change which I usually hate, and even the HOG scenes. A new element is the camera with which you must take pictures throughout the game. Spring in France! What a great way to start the spring season. Great game.

Mickeycb
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Mickeycb on Apr 25, 13 11:06 PM
First of all, love Poe!! Second of all, I have all of the games, so when this one came out, it was an automatic buy for me. I personally loved the music. Usually I mute it, but I forgot to in this instance and I'm so glad that I did because it was awesome. Graphics were beautiful, story line was engaging for me, due to the "scales of justice". I especially liked the ending where the game gives you a choice. Not too many out there gives the player a choice at the end. I love that!! And to be honest, you feed the kitten and then he goes in to your study, big deal. I'd rather have a bear on MY side shaking an apple tree, than one after me! It was so slight in the game that you really can't slam the entire game for those couple of tiny elements in a game. Overall this game was very entertaining and well worth buying the CE.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Apr 26, 13 1:35 AM
Have to agree with cbtx, twins, barbee and cathy; I got so bored with this game I didn't even finish the demo. It's all just the same old ERS package played a dozen times before. Yes the graphics are lovely and now I get widescreen coverage it does make the game far more attractive. But that isn't enough; there really is no challenge to these games. Even in advanced mode it was so simple to follow, the cat could have played it by him/herself.

Taking photos to use as wallpapers? No thanks. I never keep any game wallpapers; I like the one I use (Titanic) and have no desire to change it. Fortunately you can skip this slightly tedious aspect of the game. I don't know about playing with the cat since I just ignored all attempts to get me to go to the office. I've never seen the point of adding this to a game anyway.

It's unlikely I'll get even the SE of this game. Not challenging or different enough for me.

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Apr 27, 13 12:47 AM
This is another WOW! game, WOW graphics, WOW scenery, WOW storyline, I actually play through w/o referring to the guide. The map is interactive. LOTS of new stuff, a scale to measure guilt (if only real life is so easy), a pet basket (for a cat), ability to decorate your house (den) and ability to use animals like a dog to chase a mouse (I thought cats do that!) A bear to help to shake the apples from the tree

ALL these u will get in the trial of 1 hr, so go download and play it.

I LOVED all the series and YES its a bundle sale, buy ONE and pay $2.99 for the rest of the CE! DONT WAIT

Go to: