bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for PuppetShow: Destiny Undone

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Apr 26, 13 12:36 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of PuppetShow: Destiny Undone ? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the PuppetShow: Destiny Undone page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for PuppetShow: Destiny Undone

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Apr 26, 13 12:37 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Apr 26, 13 12:38 AM
How did the CE version of this game fare with Fishies?

Click here to find out!

Hope this helps,

bfgBaikal

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Apr 26, 13 5:40 AM
Afternoon, all... Only just had time to copy my review from the CE forum to this thread:

There are 3 gameplay modes: Casual, Hard, Advanced.

There is a Widescreen option (when ticked, I get those colourful patterned bars on either side).

There is a choice of Custom and System cursor.

There is Voice-over.

There is no Inventory list. Instead you get the fan-like "Tools" button, which is at the left. Personally, I prefer it. I get frustrated with inventory lists popping up whenever your cursor is too close to the bottom.

Your Diary is at the right. It has tabs for Notes, Characters, and Story.

Also at the right is your Map. I love this one. You can use it to jump to different areas, and it is divided into sections, so you don't just get one huge map.
It shows you where you are, which areas are completed, and with are not.

When used outside of the iHOS (interactive hidden object scenes), the HINT button fills instantly in Casual mode. When used inside the iHOS (of which there are not many), the HINT button takes about 35 seconds to fill in Casual mode.

Puzzles/Mini games can be skipped. The SKIP button takes about 35 seconds to fill in Casual mode.

At the top left, there is a tab that opens when clicked. It will show you how many puppets you have found so far - there are 10 in all. I can't say whether the search for the puppets are also part of the SE.

--- --- ---

I loved this game. The graphics were nice, gameplay was nice, I loved the map, I liked finding 10 of something, I enjoyed the mini games (loved the fact that they are doable for me), and loved the fact that there is only the odd HOS but not one after another.

The one thing that should have been taken care of better was that quite a few objects in the HOS were wrongly named. I have never seen that many wrongly named items in an ERS game before (nor after). I am guessing that someone didn't do their job properly on this occasion.

But otherwise, I very much enjoyed playing this game. Wasn't bored for one minute.

gamblebug
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

[Post New]by gamblebug on Apr 26, 13 10:50 AM
Welcome back Valdy,haven't seen your reviews lately.I agree with you on the hoh's.But i throughly enjoyed game,love the puppet show one's.

agrimony
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by agrimony on Apr 26, 13 1:31 PM
I too love all the Puppetshow games and was only disappointed with one area. The game was way to short. Even with the CE the game was much shorter than all the other ones.
Setting aside the shortness of the game. As with all the other PuppetShow games the graphics are excellent. The story line kept in beat with the other PuppetShow games. The ending was rather odd so I don't know if there will be another PuppetShow or not. I sure hope so. Thanks again for another great game from BF. Just try and make it a little longer next time.

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Apr 26, 13 1:55 PM
I totally agree with Valdy. I too loved this game. I too love finding 10 of something. The puzzles were fun to do and different. I was not bored and am glad I bought the CE.

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Apr 26, 13 11:33 PM
Nope. Between some puzzles that can't be skipped (Adam and Eve in Roman clothing) and not being able to figure out what to do next, even with the hints, plus getting bored and frustrated, I quit before the demo was over.

I think most everyone else will love this one, though.

Edited on 04/26/2013 at 11:35:19 PM PST

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on Apr 27, 13 3:34 AM
I have played all the series of "puppet show", as C E, and I missed this one, for some reason, now it's out as S E, I am surprised, because it's a really good game!
My favorite it's the first Joyville, althou this one, to my opinion, it's even better.
I enjoyed playing the demo, and I got the game! Brilliant under every aspect, I liked the colors, brights, and the ambiance new and not dark, cleaver minigames, very good art concept!5

CelticCoco
Clownfish
Clownfish
514 Posts

[Post New]by CelticCoco on Apr 29, 13 6:42 PM
I will admit that I am fairly easy to please, it is a rare game on Big Fish that gets a bad review from me. And I love the PuppetShow series - even the music! Waited for the SE of this one and am not sorry. Filled up my card, got another free game, and have a very pretty game to play. I might even start the series over from the start!

Happy Gaming, all!

CelticCoco

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Just finished the game and I really liked the ending. That is the kind of wrap up needed for all games! If you played the whole series you will understand what Felicia means, and if you didn't - well, get the other games!

I'm especially glad I skipped the CE for this one as dressing up the little puppet is not my idea of fun. I also do my own wallpapers, so that is no big deal for me, either. This was a good end, so if ERS is smart they will stop now so they can go out on top! Time for a new series!

CC

Edited on 05/04/2013 at 4:55:49 PM PST

Dustydo
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by Dustydo on Apr 30, 13 9:34 PM
I thought that this was a great game. I have not played one of the Puppet Shows
for a while. I was very pleased with this one. Great graphics and puppets plus my little helper friend was cute. I did have a little bit of problems with cut scenes being slow. Hidden obects were easy to find and not junk piles with hard to see objects.
Games were different and skipable. Hints were good but I only used it a couple
times during the whole game as I could pretty much figure out what the items were going to be used for.
I give this game a two thumbs up. However I too wish it was a longer game play.

mrssharon
Guppy
Guppy
192 Posts

The Good, The Bad, The Unusual

[Post New]by mrssharon on May 1, 13 9:15 AM
The good:

Nice graphics, music, puzzles, and game play. The graphics were colorful and pretty; in the style of the previous PuppetShow games. The music was soft background-style and was appropriate to the game. The puzzles were challenging enough to be interesting but not so hard as to frustrate. The game play was fairly logical and not hard to figure out what to do next.

The bad:

Awful voice-overs and the item list.

The voice-overs were among the worst I've ever had the misfortune to hear. The opening scene when Felicia tells you what has happened was like hearing fingernails on a chalkboard. Arrgh! The actor who did her voice was most definitely not a child and the falsetto, squeaky tone was too phony to be believable. The actor who who did the newspaper boy's voice didn't sound much better.

The item list unfolding like a fan is a royal pain. Yes, you can lock it now, but then you lose a big chunk of the scene. I much prefer the list to be either at the top, or better still, the bottom of the screen.

The unusual:

The puppet helper.

After you acquire the puppet helper you have to name him. What??? Okay, so since he yelled "Geronimo" each time you sent him on a task, guess what his name was? I can see the advantage of having the puppet helper. When things are out of reach, you don't have to hunt for a broken ladder to repair. That was a nice change.

All in all, the game is good, in my opinion, and if you can get past the voice-overs, it is quite entertaining. I do feel like many of the other reviewers that this series is getting old and needs to be put to rest.

[Post New]by NancySusan on May 4, 13 6:15 AM
For the sake of finances I decided to wait and check out the SE of this, after playing the demo of the CE. Note: I don't think there are any collectibles in the SE, too bad, although the puppets we did collect in the CE weren't that exciting. There is also in the SE, as far as I can see, no extras to dress the puppet that helps you. I also will quote from my original review: The voice overs for the children were clearly being done by adults, in the "I'm going to do an attitude, which will make me seem younger" school of acting, which was jarring. ERS deserves a prize for mixing more than 300 years of history -- 18th century type short pants on the Master, a modern (sort of) stove in one scene, a cigarette lighter, and 19th century (late 19th) clothing on the mysterious woman. I did like the little puppet to help (I like animals better, but the boy puppet is fine), but I wonder if they asked Dr. Who, before deciding to have the boy puppet say "Geronimo" whenever he did things. After playing the SE demo, I used a complimentary coupon to buy this, and while I do sort of miss the more complex CE experience, this is fine. It seems a pretty straightforward game, the walkthrough looks pretty clear if anyone gets into trouble, and at least the story comes to a close. But to ERS: your constantly mixing eras is really driving me crazy and the adults pretending to be children is pretty awful.

chumface
Herring
Herring
355 Posts

[Post New]by chumface on May 5, 13 9:17 PM
As others have said...very short, but still fun! Guess the "ending" kind of closed the loop...

cbellcrm
Clownfish
Clownfish
818 Posts

[Post New]by cbellcrm on May 7, 13 1:31 PM
This game has the welcome addition of an interactive map. However, the map doesn’t match the “real” world. (For example, the map has the puppet theater off the area with the fountain whereas you navigate to the puppet theater from the tram station area.) Also, the check marks for area completed are not always correct. At one point I was stuck, used the map to go to every area without a check mark, couldn’t find anything I could do to advance, then tried navigating to another area and found a new hidden object scene that had appeared on an area marked with a check on the map.

The game also has the welcome feature of a hint button that works outside of hidden object scenes, but it often points you to areas where you can’t do anything, such as repeatedly directing you to the guy who wants a bribe before you have money to bribe him with.

The game has lots of loose ends. Some may view these as red herrings and appreciate them, but I didn’t. For example, one area has spiders crawling over the wall, but you never get rid of them. You also never find out what Gabby and the Master were arguing about. Since I learned not to trust the map check marks, I was never sure which areas had been completed.

Most games have a navigation arrow at the bottom of the screen to go back to the previous location. However, when I am standing in an elevator looking at the doors, I expect to go forward, not back. You would think after getting stuck in elevators in half a dozen games that I would learn. But I got stuck in this one also.

Speaking of navigation arrows at the bottom of the screen to return to the previous location, in most games when I am trying to go back I get the inventory and when I want the inventory I get the navigation arrow. I actually liked the fan inventory for that reason. If they make more PuppetShow games, I hope they keep it with a few improvements, such as opening with mouse-over and easier scrolling, not a click for each inventory item over 5. It had to take a lot of effort to not have any gameplay under the area occupied by the fan, and I appreciate that.

The incorrect names in hidden object scenes, such as looking for “Scar” when the object is a hand print, were numerous. Since I am a grammar major who translates games from bad English to good English for a living, I found it particularly annoying.

To be continued

cbellcrm
Clownfish
Clownfish
818 Posts

[Post New]by cbellcrm on May 7, 13 1:33 PM
Continued from above

One of the things I liked about PuppetShow is that puppets can look realistic when the same level of art detail on a human looks cartoony. These puppets with human faces seemed the worst of both worlds. The puppet helper looked exactly like my son down to the boisterous enthusiasm and depressed seriousness. So seeing his head cut off and attached to a spider puppet was a bit disconcerting. While I could tolerate the demented puppets in the earlier games, such as using a puppet’s eye socket as a pencil sharpener, I found the kitchen scene in this game too morbid.

Like the other games of the series, this game has no sense of place. The Master seems to be in the 17th century, Gabby in the 19th century, and the puppet helper in the 20th century.

Most of the puzzles were very good, but a few were mind-numbingly easy, such as a jigsaw puzzle with six pieces.

This game has a different reason for Cricks blindness and a different fate for Felicia. It features the third different location of the theater. This opens the possibility to repeat the same story over and over in different time dimensions with different outcomes. I hope ERS doesn’t take advantage of this opportunity.

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Jun 17, 13 4:20 AM
Looking Forward To The Big Finish?

BASED ON DEMO

It is the finale, right? Cuz, you know, I thought the last one was! Still, I’m very happy that it wasn’t.

I have never been a huge fan of the Puppet Show series. I bought them and played and replayed them, but it was mostly the beauty of the artwork that appealed to me. Mechanical puppets never really took my fancy.

Until now. This game is even more beautiful than the others, but it is also more intriguing – and sympathetic.

We are here to help Felicia find her father the Puppet Master, who’s gone missing in suspicious circumstances, but Felicia is acting weird. And others reported seeing an old woman who, when we get a glimpse of her, is ominously familiar. And to top it all off we’ve got one of those nasty spider puppets bullying people and breaking stuff. So begin our investigations.

Along the way we save a trapped cat, are confronted by a ferocious dog, and get our very own spider puppet. Not, I would normally have said, a very cuddly sort of sidekick. But this one (I named mine Timmy) has these beautiful sad eyes, so shiny they seem to have a tear glistening about to drop. It’s enough to make your eyes water!

Timmy helps you get to those things you can’t reach, like all good sidekicks do.
We have both list and silhouette find one to find another HOs, plenty of puzzles, some look tricky, and there’s plenty to do in each scene.

Plenty of lovely scenery, one of my favourite bits was the tram ride. I’m hoping that will be our preferred mode of transport for at least a while.

And I look forward to finding out what Felicia is really up to this time.

I recommend this game!

addieh
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by addieh on Jul 2, 13 4:22 AM
This game disappointed me and I have all of them. My heart wasn't in it. It had all the perks of the other puppetshow games, but this one just didn't click for me. It sounds like it continues. Hope the next game is better.

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Jul 30, 13 6:42 AM
an ok game, the first in the series"joyville", for me, was the best

Seester2
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by Seester2 on Oct 20, 13 8:50 PM
I have really enjoyed the PuppetShow games and this one didn't disappoint! Great graphics, interesting storyline, challenging HOS and mini-games....a great game in my book!

Go to: