bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Enigma Agency: The Case of Shadows Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Apr 27, 13 12:35 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Enigma Agency: The Case of Shadows Collector's Edition ? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Enigma Agency: The Case of Shadows Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Enigma Agency: The Case of Shadows Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Apr 27, 13 12:35 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

nomatt
Herring
Herring
377 Posts

[Post New]by nomatt on Apr 27, 13 12:53 AM
Well then, 08:45 here in the UK, game has been available for 45 mins and I have downloaded, played 32 minutes and have stopped to buy it. Now that's how it should be. Full download seems to be going well also, now 08:48 and at 41%. See BF, you can do it when you try.
Anyway to keep it short. No sparkles (except HOS) fairly decent puzzles and plenty of them. In the short time I played there was one HOS, a nice little interactive scene, half a dozen puzzles, plenty of ok voice acting, all with plenty of atmosphere and thunder and lightning. Yeah, wifey will love this one.
Hmmm, 08:52 and download at 42%, come on BF, don't fail me now.

Oh and I didn't see the sale so I paid full price as well. That'll teach me not to look!

Edited on 04/27/2013 at 1:52:05 AM PST

Hapless
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
427 Posts

[Post New]by Hapless on Apr 27, 13 1:55 AM
I also played for about 10 mins loved and bought it guess what? an hour later and I am only 45% into the down load. Is it only the UK that's the problem?

I know this is not a review but just thought as I was having the same problem as nomatt I would reply here as I am in the UK too. Also like nomatt I am going shopping and hope its sorted itself out when I get back.

Fingers crossed
Linda

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Apr 27, 13 2:00 AM
Hi Fishies!

Just popping in with a friendly reminder to reserve this thread for reviews only.

We totally understand that you would like to share info about your download experience with each other, so pop over to the tech thread if you would like to discuss this. This will also help us to collect feedback on this issue so we can continue tracking it and the effectiveness of any improvements being made.

Thanks!

bfgBaikal

netnanna
Guppy
Guppy
146 Posts

[Post New]by netnanna on Apr 27, 13 2:42 AM
Played full trial and it's a definite buy, I just love interactive puzzles, always gives that EUREKA moment when you get the thing to work. Puzzles were a bit different too, I like the novelty of this game, OK, so the graphics aren't the best but are clear, voice overs pretty good apart from the overacting baddy! All in all, seems wise to give these developers a try, a good run for my money I'm thinking.

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by sassylassie on Apr 27, 13 3:54 AM
This to me is a 10/10 game. I am loving every minute of it. I beta tested this game and after knew it was going to be a definite buy. I would have paid full price, but ah well, never could turn down a sale, especially one as nice as that.

Story: Missy got a call from her friend John, but when she got there, there was no answer from the ring of the doorbell. After we finally got inside the gate the door was wide open and there was poor John knocked out on the floor. When he came to, he's telling us a map of all things is causing all the ruckus.

Graphics: Absolutely beautiful. The cutscene in the beginning was awesome and spooky.

Mini games: Simply fun. The one puzzle with the gramophone reminds me of that Mousetrap game. The puzzles are challenging but not frustrating. I didn't even skip one when I played the beta version. Really a fresh idea to the puzzles.

Music: Fits just right with the game. Beautifully done!

Hint System: Works in and out of the game. I didn't use it in the game I am playing now, but IIRC the hint takes you where you need to go.

Map: I used it in the beta and it wasn't a jump IIRC, but I don't need it right now, so I can't say.

All in all, kudos to a job well done. You go team!

calsmom2001
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,785 Posts

[Post New]by calsmom2001 on Apr 27, 13 6:28 AM
Based on thirty minutes of the demo:

A very nice effort from some devs I'm unfamiliar with. The story is interesting, I like the collectibles and achievements, the voice acting is okay, the music is very nice, and what I've seen of the puzzles I've really enjoyed (the four balls one is frustrating, but in a good way. I WILL solve that one!). Also, I don't whether it's a one-off, but the second HO scene, where you had to interact to get an object, reminded me just a bit of the door puzzles in one of the Ravenhearst games (the first one? the second one? does anyone remember? - now I want to play it again ).

All in all, this seems well worth the reduced price, and I'll be buying it as soon as I run some errands. There aren't that many games these days that make me want to buy them right off, but this one did.

Give it a try, I think you'll like it!

Rhysdux
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,219 Posts

[Post New]by Rhysdux on Apr 27, 13 7:14 AM
I'm glad other people are enjoying it, but I can't say I had the same experience.

Based on about a half hour with the demo, I'd give a 6/10.The challenges in this were good and ran smoothly. Regrettably, the game itself didn't operate very well, starting and stopping frequently with jerky motions, often stalling the game for minutes at a time. Also, the hint and skip buttons took a very long time to fill, though the frequent starting and stopping might have had something to do with that.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Apr 27, 13 7:23 AM
Wow! I woke up this AM to go work out. I looked to see if BF had anything that might be worth playing later today. And guess what? I see we have a game from a new dev (I have never heard of them) and it is the CE we usually get on Sunday. It is from a new dev (who, by the way, should become one of their regulars). What a pleasant surprise. I absolutely LOVE this game!!!!! The puzzles are unique and different. The story has captured me. I ended up playing much longer than I anticipated this morning and will return to purchase and play this afternoon. In the beginning you encounter the ultimate Grumpy Cat! Great job, new devs!! Hope we will see more games from you in the future. The graphics are great, ditto for the HOG scenes and puzzles (at least the one I have played) The one HOG scene I have played required some interaction. I chose the middle level of play; This level has those dreaded sparkles. If you play the advanced level they are missing however, Since this is a new dev, I was afraid the puzzles might be too hard to play. I am writing to alert others that you might want to at least try this game. There are scorpions abound in this game. Of course the old adage out West is that the rattlesnake fusses and hisses and kills, but the little scorpion can do the same with so little muss and fuss and its enemy never sees it coming! For me, a great game.

govols2
Shark
Shark
11,575 Posts

[Post New]by govols2 on Apr 27, 13 8:49 AM
Based on 15 minutes of play

The good : Achievements and collectibles. Achievements include things like so many objects found in so many seconds. There is also that annoying played in two different modes achievement. HOG scenes are pretty clear . Voice overs are good and don't seem to be forced

The so-so : There is a map but you can't jump with it. It only tells you where you are and what places you have been to. Storyline seems ok but again I only played for 15 minutes. There is interaction in the HOG scenes but not really clear on what to interact with ( I thought one item was a rag and it wasn't)

The bad: This is why I won't get it as a CE. I played in advanced so don't know if this would happen in expert. One of the characters asks for something and then our character repeats the sentence. Like John says I need water then our character says John says he needs water. I heard him. That happens several times. It is very annoying. The expert level as the black bar disabled but there are no skips allowed . Would have preferred a custom option.

DeAnna2112
Clownfish
Clownfish
675 Posts

[Post New]by DeAnna2112 on Apr 27, 13 9:31 AM
I just can not say enough about the wonderful job and effort this team put into this game!! At first i was alittle irritated at the beginning of the game given the collectible boxes dinging and popping up on the screen, but given i was seeing new things i liked, i am glad i continued to play. What a refreshing approach compared to the same old same old boring hand holding games we are generally served up.

Really loved the way the map was used and that it didn't spoil the game play and do all the work for us because honestly, i don't feel like i am playing the game when all i am doing is clicking on a map the whole time to jump from the roof to a room to a tree to the street..i want to get out there and explore my environment and immerse myself into the games setting and scenery . This map toned down those game spoilers yet still allowed it to offer alittle guidance if needed. We have endless games that have made no attempt to recognize there are many of us who want to actually play the game..not the game playing it for us ..thank you for your effort

I loved loved loved the new and different approach to the puzzles and mini games as well as being creative with the hidden clues throughout the game and their uses. Thank you for not making the cursor change a mile away from the actual object of interest..big plus!!!!
The graphics were excellent especially for the story setting and the atmospheric effects were outstanding The dark creepy storyline is right up there with what i prefer in a hog story and you guys did a great job with it.

Thank you soo much for the effort on your part to put something different and more challenging out there ! The game has played smoothly and like a charm from the get go as well!! I have you guys at the top of my watch list and look forward to your future releases

Demo Download/install time: 4.5 minutes
Full Version upgrade additional download/install time: 5 minutes
Browser: Explorer
Window7/64
Broadband internet
USA Customer (Indiana region)

pjhundt
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by pjhundt on Apr 27, 13 9:52 AM
netnanna wrote:Played full trial and it's a definite buy, I just love interactive puzzles, always gives that EUREKA moment when you get the thing to work. Puzzles were a bit different too, I like the novelty of this game, OK, so the graphics aren't the best but are clear, voice overs pretty good apart from the overacting baddy! All in all, seems wise to give these developers a try, a good run for my money I'm thinking.

I couldn't agree more about the graphics and the voices. Why couldn't a developer of this caliber separate the voices from the background noises? I very rarely use the voices in games, but I love the bird calls and thunderstorms. It's because of this that I definitely will not buy the CE.

Hespera
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,170 Posts

[Post New]by Hespera on Apr 27, 13 10:51 AM
I beta tested this game so I did the demo out of curiosity. And although I wasn't expecting any changes at that point, since no major glitches were detected, one can still hope.

This game is by the developers of the Magic Farm series. And for a first whack at iHOPA, it's not bad at all. The graphics are good, the game mechanics are solid and all the other things folks go for are here (achievements, extra collectables, voice overs, different modes of play). However, the full screen option is stretch screen. If you select the 'keep aspect ratio' button, you will get wide screen (what most here hate - with the black bars on the side). It would have been just as easy to keep the aspect ratio in the full screen mode, then everyone would have clear graphics. Also, there is not a separate slider for voice and this game has narration all the way through, so it gets a bit overwhelming sometimes. This puzzles aren't difficult or original, but they are new and pleasant presentations.

But the only thing that keeps me from liking it is that the hardest mode, which has no hint button or sparkles, is still subject to text hints (black bars) on everything that is picked up or clicked. And for me, that is just a 'no-go', because it means the game will come to an end all too soon.

I think it is a good game and many will enjoy it. It just won't work for me.

Edited to correct spelling.

Edited on 04/27/2013 at 1:56:48 PM PST

luvtoread
Manatee
Manatee
4,081 Posts

[Post New]by luvtoread on Apr 27, 13 11:07 AM
But the only thing that keeps me from liking it is that the hardest mode, which has no hint button or sparkles, but is still subject to text hints (black bars) on everything that is picked up or clicked. And for me, that is just a 'no-go', because it means the game will come to an end all too soon.

I totally agree.
I also did not like having a conversation, then having the character
repeat to me what was just said.

The bad guy made me laugh, though.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Apr 27, 13 11:54 AM
Well this is an interesting game and find it to be quite fun. Have 30 min more to play as have to run and do something so will finish with game and comments later.. Looks to me that it will deserve at least 4 stars out of my five? Finished the game and lots of puzzles and hints do reload fast and it's a good thing as I didn't know where I was going? Has a map with tasks you need to do at that location. HOG's are different along with the standard. After playing the rest will give this 3 out of 5 stars..

Edited on 04/27/2013 at 3:09:30 PM PST

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Apr 27, 13 2:32 PM
I usually don't return with more comments. I have played about quarter of the game and the puzzles are challenging. I actually love the puzzles where you have to find objects within the scene and from your inventory to solve them. I cannot believe the negativity on this game. Yes, it is a "dark" game. But if we don't support these new devs, all we are going to be left with is the same boring 3 devs on this site. We have had complaints that the games are the same-ole, same-ole, so don't attack a few new devs who probably don't have the funding of the major ones. At least they are trying some new approaches to the games. I personally don't like the "sparkles." To me they should only appear in the first level of the game for those who just want to play the game quickly or are neophytes to these type of games. I see that many across the Big Pond are having trouble with downloading it. Here in the States that is not a problem. However, I must admit even with my high powered computer (devilish little race horse), it still took quite a bit of time to download. I was an exchange student in Barcelona Spain so I know how frustrating it can be. And I still go from time-to-time on business. I still fondly reflect on the internet cafes in Europe, but I hate your "round" plugs. Quite annoying. The flow of electricity is really erratic as well. So, let us support the new devs. And....with the discount, how can you go wrong amigos?

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Apr 27, 13 2:36 PM
Evening all...

It took me 50 minutes to play the trial version.

This game has 9 chapters plus the bonus chapter.

There are 3 gameplay modes: Casual, Advanced, Expert. You can change the difficulty any time.

There is voice-over.

There is proper widescreen.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor. The custom cursor is so ugly, I chose the system cursor. However, whenever I point at things like the diary and such, the cursor changes back to the custom cursor for that moment. Terrible.

Your Diary is at the left, as is the Menu button.

The HINT button is at the right. It takes about a minute for the HINT button to refill in Casual mode - inside and out of the iHOS (interactive hidden object scenes).
However, the good thing about this HINT button is that when used in the main scenes, it shows you exactly where to go next, and what to use on which part in the scene.

Also at the right is your MAP, which shows you where you are, and which places you have visited and not yet visited. Alas, you can't use the map to jump, nor do you see where actions are needed.

The SG (strategy guide) is also at the right.

Puzzles and Mini games are many and can be skipped. The SKIP button also takes about a minute to fill in Casual mode.

There is a TROPHY ROOM, in which you will find all your achievements. One of them is to find 50 SCORPIONS throughout the game.
BEWARE... you will also find scorpions in the iHOS.

--- --- ---

The graphics are very well done. Gameplay is the usual, and the story is intriguing.

What I didn't like was that the system cursor changed to the custom cursor while pointing at things. It's an ugly thing, and I don't want to see it even for a second.

Another thing I didn't care for was being told the obvious - even in Casual mode I don't need that much hand-holding. Example: Someone says to me: "Water, I need water". So I say to myself: "He asked me to get him water". Duh... There are other such "helpful" hints.

I also didn't care for the time it takes for both the HINT and SKIP buttons to fill in "Casual" mode. Yet another developer who needs to half the time it takes.

I am not sure whether I want to get the CE, even with 40% off. There were just too many things that annoyed me with this game. I will probably wait for the SE and get it with a PCC.

Janeypat
Minnow
Minnow
262 Posts

[Post New]by Janeypat on Apr 27, 13 4:43 PM
oh I envy you fishies who could download and play - me stuck on 13 hours and 47%) is it really worth it or should i just give up again - oh who needs wallpaper soundtracks etc -can we have the option to buy -don't think anyone will with a CE think they would all want faster download speeds - but don't hold your breath - you could die waiting

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Apr 27, 13 7:45 PM
Not a bad game. Game play was nice, SG the usual. Graphics seemed a bit old school..not bad except for the characters. They seems very stiff and plastic looking. Voice over was nice, but there was too much chatter that seemed a bit childish to me, i.e., "the front door is open, someone must be inside." Really? Didn't you come to see the guy who lives there?

Games were not difficult (except the marble game, which I ended up skipping), but took some thought. HOGs were clean and clear, as well as few and far between. There is a map, but it is not a jump map, which this game could use. You use a lot of shoe leather on this one, and only for one item that you aren't even going to use yet. The "interactive" games were different, but too many.

Hint system nice, but takes a very long time to recover. Skip button also takes a very long time to load. Did not care for the fact that the cursor kept changing. I don't care for custom cursors and when I click it off, I expect it to stay off...this one doesn't and it is very annoying.

I was not kicked out about this game as a CE, but I may get it as an SE with a credit. I did not have the need to buy it to see how it turns out. Parts of it were challenging. It is a very quiet game, didn't hear any music and very little background sound.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find it quite enjoyable. Thanks for the reviews.

Go to: