bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Mysteries of the Undead

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Apr 30, 13 12:37 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Mysteries of the Undead ? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Mysteries of the Undead page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Mysteries of the Undead

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Apr 30, 13 12:37 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Apr 30, 13 1:15 AM
Demoed 35 minutes

- No gameplay modes

- No voice overs

- Written dialogues

- Notebook

- Interactive map

- You have to collect 10 runes throughout the game. You use them on a kind of totem at the bottom left of your screen. You then get a piece of history about the island and a useful medallion. .

- H0 you interact

- Regular mini games,

- Hint useful outside H0

- Skip button

- Good graphics

People are turning into zombies on an island, You and your team go to investigate, Your ship hits a rock you miraculously escape and start searching the island. Game looks OK, not keen enough to buy. (This being my humble, subjective opinion ).

Edited on 04/30/2013 at 1:18:20 AM PST

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Apr 30, 13 1:33 AM
Hi there,
Poutoule has outlined the pertinent details of the game, and whilst it lacks some features we expect from these games today, it is a SE after all, and not too bad.
OK, rather easy for more experienced players, but the gameplay was smooth and the graphics rather good.
Just as well there isn't a Click penalty in the HOS, as some of the interactive areas are difficult to find.
I have a PCC itching to be used and one punch needed to fill my card, so I just might be tempted to purchase it to while away some time with the Zombies.
As usual I recommend you trial the game to see for yourself.
Cheers
If you do decided to purchase the game, you won't have to DL it again.

Edited on 04/30/2013 at 1:47:22 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Apr 30, 13 1:35 AM
Morning, all...

This is an Adventure game with iHOS (interactive hidden object scenes) thrown in to appeal to us HOGGERs, I suppose.

There is only 1 gameplay mode.

There is no voice-over.

There is widescreen.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor (called "Pointers"). If you use the system cursor, it will not change (like they usually do in other games), so you can't see from the cursor whether you are hovering over an interactive part or not.

Your Diary is at the left, as is the Menu button.

Also at the left is some sort of artifact, which you will get shortly into the game. I actually restarted the game and played the tutorial, because I wasn't told what it was for when I didn't play the tutorial (as is done in other games).

However, I still didn't get an explanation when I played the tutorial. But it's simple enough. You will find some glass-like objects which you put onto the artifact. Then the story of the island will be told in chapters, after which you get a symbol. There are 10 in all to be found.

At the right is your HINT button, which takes about 55 seconds to refill, inside and out of the HOS.

Puzzles can be skipped. It only takes 10 seconds for the SKIP button to fill.

Also at the right is your MAP, which (thank goodness) can be used to jump. A gear shows you that an action can be performed, and a whirly thing shows you the location where you can search for useable items (haven't seen that whirly thing yet) so not sure if it works, because I have searched and found items already.

--- --- ---

Gameplay is a little clunky, and the sounds aren't the nicest ones either. I am not a fan of adventure games any more, and this is definitely one (with HOS thrown in).
The graphics are not bad (for an adventure game), and I like the fact that there is an interactive map. But I am not sure whether I am interested enough in this game to want to purchase it. Maybe when I am desperate for a game.

But that's just how I feel about this game. Others will most likely enjoy it very much.

equusjoy
Minnow
Minnow
243 Posts

[Post New]by equusjoy on Apr 30, 13 2:12 AM
It's an okay game............but honestly it's the first game ever that caused me to almost fall over backward out of my chair. Woooooo..............it's either a spookyish (is that even a word? lol) game or I am very tense tonight.

Okay, let me try this again. Everyone enjoy your day (or night)!

Joy

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Apr 30, 13 2:34 AM
Well, the details of the game have already been covered in the previous reviews.

And, yes, the graphics and art work are nice, the jumping map is a plus, and the story seems interesting. (once it finally gathers a little momentum)
And there are other nice touches like widescreen, the little artifact (that never gets explained, but you figure it out), and the reasonable hint and skip times.

But there are 2 drawbacks----
1) very clunky game mechanics. But, again, nothing you can't get around----but why not a little more attention to the details? Unnecessary frustration.
2) some of the worst language problems I've seen in a while----I wonder why some of these devs can't seem to find an English proofreader. Again, you can get around it, but the multitude of mistakes provide either a lot of irritation, or unintended laughs.

So, overall, I would maybe pick this up to fill out a punch card on a Monday, or as a DD sometime. Nothing special, and that's too bad because the concept is good, and, with a little more effort could have been much, much better.

cathyok
Minnow
Minnow
208 Posts

[Post New]by cathyok on Apr 30, 13 6:28 AM
The game has a lot going for it. A wonderful map that you can use to jump from place to place as well as it telling you where there are actions to preform. HOS are interactive and easy to see. Hint button recharges quickly which is a plus. It is a good thing that you are not punished for clicking on everything in a scene because the cursor never changes over items to let you know it is something you need. That I did not really care for but it got easier to figure out by paying attenion to any comments made in the different locations. All in all not a bad game but I don't think it is going to be of great lengh but certainly worth at least giving it a try for yourself.

Penguin29
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by Penguin29 on Apr 30, 13 8:31 AM
OK... I bought it with a free coupon. Not sooo bad. The only thing I can say is it's another game where hidden object items are not labeled correctly. Example: a telescope is not glasses. I'll play till end.

Oldgamer99
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by Oldgamer99 on Apr 30, 13 9:04 AM
This one reminds me of the older Agatha Christie adventure games but stripped to the bare bone. However, it is the end of the month and I need a punch.
I really want to like this game.

Sept24
Guppy
Guppy
151 Posts

[Post New]by Sept24 on Apr 30, 13 10:54 AM
I tried to play for about 20 minutes and it was not anything special and I just knew I wasn't interested in playing more. Someone called it an adventure with hidden object scenes thrown in. To many hidden object scenes added to the poor gameplay for me to even continue giving it a chance.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Apr 30, 13 11:17 AM
I liked the game, and guess I was one of the minority. The hints reloaded slow but had a map where you needed to go and HOG's were ok too. Story seemed to be different, I guess it don't take much to amuse me but if I like something I like it.. Thought the graphics were good, didn't have voice overs but sometimes they aren't the best anyway. Give this 3 out of 5 stars. ??

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Apr 30, 13 1:38 PM
Dire. Totally dire.

read61
Salmon
Salmon
2,775 Posts

[Post New]by read61 on Apr 30, 13 1:50 PM
I agree with some of the others on here - very poor grasp of English and very poor usage! In a SE this is a deal-breaker for me as I always end up frustrated (Mountain Trap Mountain of Memories is an example of this, could not bring myself to finish it). I play games to relax, not to feel my blood pressure rising...........too bad, really, as this could have been a decent game. Hopefully others will enjoy it!

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Apr 30, 13 2:30 PM
I just can't understand other fishies. There have been some better games than this recently that get torn apart, and here, a game I think is pretty bad (OK, terrible) and they like it!

Yes, Twinsoniclab I totally agree with you. Maybe I'm not on the right continent, right? Anyway, this game reminds me the movie "Warm Bodies" which I had to watch about a girl with two brain cells in love with a zombie. I wished I had some darts so I could help her join her Romeo. This was our Thanksgiving "turkey" in 2012. And...I always get the sheer pleasure of being forced to watch the worst movies of the year. Raspberry kid is what they call me!

My analysis of this dreadful game (which is putting it mildly): the graphics are bad, ditto for the HOG scenes (and these are straight HOGs), ditto for the "adventure" (what adventure?), ditto for the poor excuse for puzzles. Get the hint? To paraphrase Sam I Am (Sorry Dr. Seuss) , I don't like inane games, I don't like them here or there, I don't like them anywhere. Not even for the $5.00 price tag. You should pay me to play this game.

Edited on 04/30/2013 at 2:31:37 PM PST

gmmace
Minnow
Minnow
249 Posts

[Post New]by gmmace on Apr 30, 13 4:03 PM
I tried several times to get this game to work and never got past the black screen. I'm not a user that normally has issues downloading or playing games from Big Fish. My graphics drivers are all up to date, and it could very well be that I could use a hardware upgrade, it hardly seems worth it to play a game that rates less than 3 stars from those who were able to play it. Was hoping it be worth a buy to get the last punch on my card this month, but I'll have to pass on this stinker.

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on May 1, 13 6:15 AM
Poutoule wrote:Demoed 35 minutes

- No gameplay modes

- No voice overs

- Written dialogues

- Notebook

- Interactive map

- You have to collect 10 runes throughout the game. You use them on a kind of totem at the bottom left of your screen. You then get a piece of history about the island and a useful medallion. .

- H0 you interact

- Regular mini games,

- Hint useful outside H0

- Skip button

- Good graphics

People are turning into zombies on an island, You and your team go to investigate, Your ship hits a rock you miraculously escape and start searching the island. Game looks OK, not keen enough to buy. (This being my humble, subjective opinion ).

Same feelings, but I would recommend those that like HOG to give it a twrill. Its not a CE, yet comes with interactive map (I dont remember) but I dont see descriptive text for those areas on the map with a "gear" sign (gear indicates an area that had an inventory usage)
Use a free stamp if u had lots of them, its still ok to get it

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on May 1, 13 11:13 PM
I just finished it, and I liked it. It is a bit different from the usual offerings, and I liked that I wasn't constantly having to fix something, or prepare something, so the game didn't feel like work It was challenging enough that I had to think about what to do or where to go next, without being head banging against the wall frustrating. And It is quite long, can't give you a time length, but I have been playing it all evening, with short dog and food breaks. Unlike some, I really enjoy a long game that I can get involved in. I enjoy long books for the same reason. Only thing that glitched was the very end. After she said, I" hope so", the screen went gray, and yet there was a skip button in the upper right corner. I waited a bit and nothing happened, so I came out to see if it had happened to anyone else. Nada. So I went back in and this time the screen was black, no skip button, and I had to use task mgr to exit. But all in all, I think it was well worth a pcc, and though it didn't have all the bells and whistles, and extras, I enjoyed it much more than I have many of the CEs lately.

ELadyG1013
Guppy
Guppy
133 Posts

[Post New]by ELadyG1013 on May 3, 13 5:04 PM
What a complete WASTE of a free game code !! This game is beyond horrible !!

NiceZombie
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by NiceZombie on May 8, 13 12:40 AM
Well, darn. I can't finish the game because of a very annoying bug/glitch/error: I was already on that big cruise ship, and along the way I clicked on the map, and on a location, which then transported me back to the island! And now I cannot get back on the ship... stuck on that island Have to start over, which I would have if the game wasn't so bad....

I understand the makers don't speak the English language, but at least use a dictionary! There are a lot of really terrible mistakes grammatically, and some words just don't fit ( can't remember what those wrong words were; I forgot..) and also the diary went all Russian halfway.... so that was really helpful too...

This game is half finished, I would say... It shouldn't have been released yet.

Go to: