bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Reviews for Island of Death: Demons and Despair

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on May 1, 13 12:36 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Island of Death: Demons and Despair? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Island of Death: Demons and Despair page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBiwa

bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Re:Reviews for Island of Death: Demons and Despair

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on May 1, 13 12:36 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBiwa

nomatt
Herring
Herring
377 Posts

[Post New]by nomatt on May 1, 13 12:50 AM
08:45 here in sunny Manchester UK and all is well. This game downloaded really quickly, nice change from recently. A clue to the game is in the title though, despair. Really awful, old fashioned dated game. Poor graphics and not even widescreen. The sound effects drove me to turn them off after 10 minutes. It also suffers from bad translation, what's a 'dall'? seems it's something like a book and a cupcake is a pie, apparently. Played maybe 20 mins hoping it would get going but despair set in again. It's lovely outside, I may go and cut the grass.

bootsie21
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,188 Posts

[Post New]by bootsie21 on May 1, 13 12:52 AM
Same here in Worcestershire UK, a no buy for me.

havasulady
Lobster
Lobster
81 Posts

[Post New]by havasulady on May 1, 13 1:24 AM
I was almost relieved when this game CRASHED on me.
Maybe five minutes into the game I realized this was as good as it would get and it wasn't GOOD ENOUGH. Not sure who the developers are, but they do need a bit of help.

crispypot
Minnow
Minnow
272 Posts

[Post New]by crispypot on May 1, 13 1:31 AM
Hi havasulady, mine crashed too when i looked at the , what i thought was a phone box, up until then er, i quite liked it gonna go give it another try

[Post New]by elvenstardragon on May 1, 13 1:38 AM
havasulady wrote:I was almost relieved when this game CRASHED on me.
Maybe five minutes into the game I realized this was as good as it would get and it wasn't GOOD ENOUGH. Not sure who the developers are, but they do need a bit of help.

Same here. The loading time also takes a chunk out of the 60 min. although the waiting was probably as exciting as it gets. I won't bother with this one which is very annoying as I have a load of Coupons that I can't use until they give us a decent SE game. The only SE games coming through are for SE editions of CE games I have already bought. Hence all the coupons I have!!! I've already lost one because it was timed out.

pjplanner
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by pjplanner on May 1, 13 1:48 AM
I played in hardcore as I like to but you can't change during the game which is annoying if you get stuck - no walkthrough. Couldn't take anymore of the constant rain (we've had enough in England to last us the rest of our lives!). Too many HOS and you go back to them so that is very dull to say the least. But you can spot something you may need first time round so you know that you may have to go back to it at some point. Had to break a window but couldn't with my bare hands (obviously) but I did have a hammer in my inventory which I wasn't allowed to use - dah!! Objects difficult to find in HOS due to the misnaming and darkness and more rain. I spent the final 20 mins of demo time trying to find a mop - does it exist? Is it really a map? or a cage, or teddybear? who knows.... who cares? Not me... no buy.

[Post New]by jacqsbigfish on May 1, 13 2:29 AM

Edited on 05/02/2013 at 1:30:15 AM PST

crispypot
Minnow
Minnow
272 Posts

[Post New]by crispypot on May 1, 13 2:43 AM
mine crashed too very early on but i went back in and it worked fine for me right to the end of the trial, i did buy it and yesterdays offering simply because i had two coupons to use before they run out tomorrow, although its not the best i`ve ever played it`s by no means the worst, i was intrigued i agree with elvenstardragon, we need more, better se`s to use our coupons on, not just SE`s of CE`s that we`ve already purchased

[Post New]by Miniatures1 on May 1, 13 4:29 AM
will not buy any more dark games with demons

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on May 1, 13 4:56 AM
I was not even going to try this, after I read the reviews so far. LOL! But, typical of me, I have to test things out for myself.
Settings are very basic, music and sound volume. Custom cursor and a choice of full screen or windowed. I had black bars either side, no problem for me.
Couple on honeymoon on an island, husband has something happen to him.
I also saw the word Dall that turned out to be a book and wondered if it had read Dahl. LOL!
The rain is a little annoying in the HOS but items easy to find and some items are interactive. There appears to be no penalty for misclicking. An achievement did pop up but I cannot see a list of them anywhere. So, I am not sure what to think of that.
I personally think it will make a nice game depending on the length.
Pretty easy and no WT needed IMHO.

Have fun all.

ETA

Just received a PM from a very helpful fishie. There is a neon sign on the main page that shows the achievements LOL! Silly me!

Edited on 05/01/2013 at 7:48:08 AM PST

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on May 1, 13 7:10 AM

Demoed 30 minutes, casual

- 3 modes, casual, advanced, hardcore

- You get awards as you play, no hint in H0, quick finds, etc...

- No map

- Notebook

- Hint refill quickly and is useful outside H0

- H0, you interact

- Mini games quite easy

- Good graphics

You arrive on an island for your honeymoon, a terrible virus changes people into zombies... Your brand new DH has been infected, you investigate. Luckily the rain stops the zombies and it's pouring. This looks like a decent SE, might spend a punch card credit on it.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on May 1, 13 11:02 AM
What an awful game.. It sure was a blast from the past.. Now we can see how far the games have come and this one sure showed us that. Only lasted 10 min and knew it wasn't a game for me..

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on May 1, 13 11:48 AM
Well, finished the demo with 30 minutes to spare, so looks to be a fairly short game. Yes, the graphics are a bit old school, but not too bad. Game play was okay, a bit choppy and slow between scenes. Games extremely simple. HOGs not too bad, simple, some items difficult to see due to lack of color, and repeated many times. There was no click penalty, hint filled quickly and was helpful if you get stuck.

Voice overs make a game for me and this one only had them in the very beginning. Otherwise, a very quiet game with no real sound FX. The whistle sound you hear when you find an item is annoying.

This game would be an okay game for a beginner, but definitely no challenge for a seasoned gamer. If you have nothing better to do and have a credit you need to use up, this might be okay...might be. This could have been a nice little game without much help, but some devs don't seem to look beyond the usual and customary to give us something new and fun. Two stinkers in a row...not too sure about BF anymore. What happened to the fun SE HOG games like Gardenscapes and Antique Road Show, etc? They were a nice change of pace.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this one quite enjoyable. Thanks for the reviews.

Bluecassie37
Guppy
Guppy
123 Posts

[Post New]by Bluecassie37 on May 1, 13 1:03 PM
Needs some work to be a good game, but potential. I really liked the Twisted Lands games and was hoping for something like. Mixed feelings as the story seems interesting, but the execution is a bit poor.

The voice over 'bride' sounds bored and a little angry. HOG scenes are straightforward - except for the wrong names for stuff that cropped up.
The game seemed really clunky - the cut scenes kept blacking out, and jumping between areas took a while. No map that I found so lots of back and forward.

Also some random issues with the game itself - why do I have to make a bridge over a small crack in the road when I can see round it? Why does a barrier across the road keep me out when I could duck under it or go up the pavement?

Would have bought this like a shot with more polish/proofreading/smoother game play.

Calais30
Minnow
Minnow
281 Posts

[Post New]by Calais30 on May 1, 13 2:56 PM
Honestly,

there was nothing so bad in this game that it should bring tears to your eyes from laughing so hard. The game was ok and needs improvements but it's not as bad as that.

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on May 1, 13 5:20 PM
It seems to be a fun game. I was enjoying the story, it is very weird in a funny way. But there are too many technical problems. If you move too fast or click too fast between tasks or scenes the game will freeze up. Some of the games BFG is sending out (depending on what download location you are on) have a missing item and you can't even finish the demo. I enjoyed it as far as it was able to play but there are too many other games that don't have these problems so I will move on to a game that is complete and works.

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on May 2, 13 8:05 AM
I dont know why this game got 3.5 stars, I LOVE it, interactive puzzles, brainy mini puzzles (its easy enough) and hints recharged quite fast. I didnt set music, but seems like there's no dialog or music. Its ok for me, graphics is great and although no interactive map, its still great game its a buy for me

[Post New]by mscoachung on May 2, 13 7:42 PM
The game has potential but the technical problems are just awful. I enjoyed it but I hate when I cannot finish a game. Restarted and reinstalled 2 times and it stops at the same place every time. Sorry, i would not pay for this game. i got it on a frebee so no loss.
Buy it when they fix the glitches.

Go to: