Euskalduna
Stingray
Stingray
5,991 Posts

Re:DD May 3, 2013

[Post New]by Euskalduna on May 3, 13 10:33 AM
If you have the patience of a saint, if you are not prone to smashing things, if you can control your temper and not wish horrendous death to the developers of a game, if you are stubborn, if you decide a game WILL NOT defeat you even if it takes weeks or months to complete it, if you can dedicate more hours playing a game than you do to your family & friends, if you can read a map upside down and sideways, go for this game.

I cried "uncle" after two weeks.

Good luck!

Edited on 05/03/2013 at 10:36:57 AM PST

NIMHURCHU
Clownfish
Clownfish
744 Posts

Re:DD May 3, 2013

[Post New]by NIMHURCHU on May 3, 13 4:49 PM
For me, this is a great bargain, at $2.99. When the game began, and I noticed black bars all around, so there was a tiny game screen, I was very disappointed. However, I decided to keep going. I was frustrated with the map, and endless tasks. I thought that the characters were incredibly ugly, and the dialogue was ridiculous. By the end of the 1 hr trial, I was compelled to buy this game. It is so addictive. I have played for 7 hours and have only completed 41 of the 122 tasks. I will update this review as I move along in the game.

There is no widescreen.

There are no voice-overs. There is an annoying buzzing noise when the characters "speak", so I just had to turn my sound off.

There are 2 modes of play: Extreme adventure mode. No hint.
Casual Adventure mode. Hints.
You can switch modes in the options mid-game.

There is a map. It took me a while to figure out how to properly use it, but once I did, it was very helpful. Place the pin on the address that you need to navigate to, then exit the map. You will notice that there are white arrows on either side of one of the green arrows, pointing you in the right direction.

There is a journal: There is a comprehensive task list at the beginning of the journal. Tasks are added and scratched out as you meet new characters and complete tasks.
There is a more detailed task list as you turn the pages. If you play in casual mode, you will also have your hints on the page opposite a specific task.

Hints: In casual adventure mode, there are:
1. hints in the HOS and the puzzles. Hint button takes 1 min to charge.
2..hints in the journal: Hint button takes 10 secs to recharge. You can choose as much help as you need.

HOS:
So far, I have come across:
3 "find items on list" HOS.
5 Silhouette HOS.
3 Find x # of y" HOS.
1 Pictorial HOS.

Puzzles/Mini-games: So far, I came across 8 puzzles/mini-games. They cannot be skipped, but the hint button does work. It takes 1 min to fill each time. Puzzles were the typical pipes, repair statue, piece together a photo etc. The mini-games included a roulette game, where you could win or lose money, a soccer game, and a shooting range.

Overall, I am having a fantastic time with this game! It could be improved if there were proper voice-overs, widescreen, and a transporter map. Well, I'm going back to play.

Go to: