Senior Citizens sign in!!

OOo_jules_oOO
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,045 Posts

Re:Senior Citizens sign in!!

[Post New]by OOo_jules_oOO on Apr 16, 18 10:53 PM
Just found the announcement. I am gutted. This thread has been the best thing ever, I am SO incredibly sorry it will not continue. Surely something can be done about it?

Edited on 04/16/2018 at 10:55:37 PM PST

Lambina
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,123 Posts

[Post New]by Lambina on Apr 16, 18 11:46 PM
I feel gutted too and not just for this thread but for all of the BF forums, they must not have all of the game help on facebook like they do on the forums otherwise the facebook people probably wouldn't be posting on BF. After April 30th when they add a new city there won't be resource for monument info, or what levels to replay for more resources, or someone to help if you get stuck on a level, there won't be any more game help at all.

OOo_jules_oOO
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,045 Posts

[Post New]by OOo_jules_oOO on Apr 17, 18 12:33 AM
I really feel, that if players, both current and future ones cannot get real help and support from fellow players and mods, then its a great loss to the game, as will be the players who will just chuck it in because without the real help from everyone on here, it will all be too hard to deal with. GD will be the worse for it. Loads of other games have forums and they seem to be able to keep them going so players can contribute to them, they aren't closing their forums down. Why is BF doing it? Makes no sense to me, and it cannot possibly be a financial reason as they earn multi (many multi) millions of dollars from the games, it’s a VERY big and lucrative business so why not use some of the money to keep it going, get it working properly and keep the players on their side. This is such a shame it will end, its been the best thing I ever came across online and the good feeling you get from the sense of community and friendship here is really fantastic, I am dreadfully sorry to see it all go.

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Apr 17, 18 4:10 AM
The announcement said the forums were becoming increasingly fragile. I have run forums myself in the past and had nightmares fighting hackers. Making forums read only prevents most of the possible attacks. I suspect there are so many posts now that the servers are stressed to their limits and the sysadmins are fighting a losing battle.

I will sorely miss the conversation. I would have gotten bored with GD a long time ago if we didn’t have this social aspect to it.

OOo_jules_oOO
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,045 Posts

[Post New]by OOo_jules_oOO on Apr 17, 18 5:04 AM
Wow, I have just finished updating the suggestions thread and I spent over 4 hours doing it. In some ways, its not a bad thing I won't have to do that again, no wonder I kept putting it off for so long as I never had the time, but figured since the forum will close off, I made sure I just dropped everything on tonight and devoted the night to fixing it up so its there for everyone in the future. I am also going to miss this thread VERY sorely indeed. Its felt like a big group of friends for such a long time now.

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Apr 17, 18 5:21 AM
For those of us on Facebook, we could start a Facebook group page specifically for the continuation of this seniors thread. I find the Facebook group pages awkward to use. Goodreads groups are nicer but are for books not games and odds are far fewer of us are on goodreads.

I don’t have the time and energy to start an actual forum for us, between work and running the Space Opera Fans group on goodreads.

Edited on 04/17/2018 at 5:22:33 AM PST

snowmanvt
Clownfish
Clownfish
566 Posts

[Post New]by snowmanvt on Apr 17, 18 6:28 AM
I woke up to this sad news....I am getting so tired of "progress".

[Post New]by globetrotter217 on Apr 17, 18 6:40 AM
I am devastated. This forum played such an important role for me to stick to gd and now that I have reached the end reading and sometimes writing here is often the major part of the fun. I really don't know how long I'll stay with it after april 30th...

I don't think we can sway bf's mind. I suspect that this is why they made the hard cities easier, as without the real time support of this forum (too) many would give up.

A fb page cannot be split into threads and has no search option and is therefore no alternative, even if all seniors could be convinced to join.

We'll have to make the most of it over the coming weeks

eli173
Manatee
Manatee
3,645 Posts

[Post New]by eli173 on Apr 17, 18 6:44 AM
Just came by to see the reactions to these devastating news, and was surprised that everyone seems oblivious to it except for the people posting on this thread.

Anyway, if you want to continue, please visit the Midnight Castle forum, people there are already setting up new fora elsewhere- you will find many ideas there.

Best wishes to everyone!

[Post New]by glitter2goldfish on Apr 17, 18 6:51 AM
I am going to miss everything about this forum and other game forums as well. . It has been a valuable resource for game play but the best part was the community and discussions with fellow players. It was such a pleasure to read the posts and to participate in the conversation. So farewell all of my Gummy Drop friends I will miss you. Also just wanted to say that I did PM bfgMurrumbidgee and asked for clarification regarding Big Fish Games Forums all being disabled and Big Fish does intend to shut down ALL of the game forums not just Gummy Drop. Here is the response:

Hi Glitter,

Thanks for reaching out, I really appreciate it.
Yes, the announcement applies to all of the Big Fish Games forums.

Once the change has taken place, and message and posts are no longer able to be me sent/posted links to the applicable Facebook pages will be made readily available.

Gummy Drop! and some of our other free to play titles have Facebook pages and will show only game specific content, but we also have a Big Fish Games Facebook page where new release and sale information is posted among other things. this can be found at https://www.facebook.com/bigfishgames

I hope this helps

bfgMurrumbidgee

So sad it will be an adjustment for sure but unless my PC crashes and I lose all progress I will continue to play Gummy Drop.

Happy Gaming E veryone!

Best regards
Glitter

OOo_jules_oOO
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,045 Posts

[Post New]by OOo_jules_oOO on Apr 17, 18 7:44 AM
I will be interstate on April 30th, but will have my ipad with me and connection to wifi so I will at least be able to read and contribute till then, not that it will help the sadness I feel right now. I think the worst thing is the thought that we won't be able to chat on here, have conversations about the maddest stuff, learn about all sorts of things, help each other out and all that stuff and its been such fun. A lot of things have happened in the past so many years since I found this, as it has for everyone. Surely, someone will know a way besides FB that we can somehow continue? Is it possible? Those of you who are very IT and technically minded, let us who aren't so 'techy' in on it if there is a way.

kailuaauntie
Guppy
Guppy
133 Posts

[Post New]by kailuaauntie on Apr 17, 18 8:06 AM
eli173 - I checked out the Midnight Castle Forum. It contains numerous ideas about how to set up a “forum” but do we have a senior with the time and expertise to establish a new forum for our thread? It would be great if these (sometimes wild and wacky) conversations could continue. But there isn’t much time left.

Edited on 04/17/2018 at 8:12:37 AM PST

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Apr 17, 18 8:06 AM
OOo_jules_oOO wrote:I will be interstate on April 30th, but will have my ipad with me and connection to wifi so I will at least be able to read and contribute till then, not that it will help the sadness I feel right now. I think the worst thing is the thought that we won't be able to chat on here, have conversations about the maddest stuff, learn about all sorts of things, help each other out and all that stuff and its been such fun. A lot of things have happened in the past so many years since I found this, as it has for everyone. Surely, someone will know a way besides FB that we can somehow continue? Is it possible? Those of you who are very IT and technically minded, let us who aren't so 'techy' in on it if there is a way.

A Facebook group would let us continue our chatty stuff. It isn’t searchable but we can talk.

It’s been more than a decade since I ran a forum for anything other than work, and at least three years since I did so for work even. Once a hacker starts attacking your forum it’s a real nightmare to fix it, at least for a simple PHP forum. That’s over and above hosting the server that the forum runs on, which is an expense of both time and money or bandwidth.

Here’s hoping someone else comes up with a good idea for us.

OOo_jules_oOO
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,045 Posts

[Post New]by OOo_jules_oOO on Apr 17, 18 8:18 AM
I have just been having a quick browse through some of the other forums, seems they are all up in arms over this issue. Loads of thoughts, conversations flying back and forth, people trying to also work out if they are able to sort out some new form of forum thread to keep things going. However, its well after 1am now and I desperately need to get some sleep, I cannot keep looking any longer tonight and have a busy day tomorrow, but if anyone has any ideas, post them, keep discussing it, we just might be able to come up with a good plan, and all of you, check out the other forums too. Someone may spot something that will help. GOod night everyone.

marie1931
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
23,099 Posts

[Post New]by marie1931 on Apr 17, 18 9:27 AM
Unfortunately I'm mot on Facebook and don't want to be there. It was a pleasure for me to talk with you and will miss you all

kailuaauntie
Guppy
Guppy
133 Posts

[Post New]by kailuaauntie on Apr 17, 18 9:28 AM
lordkalvan wrote:For those of us on Facebook, we could start a Facebook group page specifically for the continuation of this seniors thread. I find the Facebook group pages awkward to use. Goodreads groups are nicer but are for books not games and odds are far fewer of us are on goodreads.

I don’t have the time and energy to start an actual forum for us, between work and running the Space Opera Fans group on goodreads.

Wow - does this mean that you, too, are a fan of the Liaden Universe and Honor Harrington? Am unfamiliar with goodreads but I’m gonna check it out — luv luv luv space opera!

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Apr 17, 18 9:41 AM
Adore Liaden Universe! Honorverse books are good too.

OOo_jules_oOO
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,045 Posts

[Post New]by OOo_jules_oOO on Apr 17, 18 4:38 PM
I have just had another look at the home page for threads. In the midnight castle thread, there is one person who has found a site that has public forums, called Delphi Forums. Can any of you who are into tech stuff have a look at that, maybe also check out the MC threads to see whats been said (far too much to paste it all here) and if that is a good option, could we go with that too? Just thinking out loud here.

Lambina
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,123 Posts

[Post New]by Lambina on Apr 17, 18 5:23 PM
They were also talking about another site called proboard but both of them sounded like it would require volunteer's to run and moderate the forums so who knows how long that would last, also how can we know how secure those sites are. I still can't get over the fact that BF has put the axe to their forums and with the way that people are jumping off of the FB bandwagon this may turn out to be a really bad business decision on BFs part, I mean what kind of a gaming company does not have forums, it just does not make any sense, the ftp games require a big community of connected people to make them popular and successful. Also a mod said that there are a few new ftp games coming out in the future so who would want to volunteer to run forums for those.

kailuaauntie
Guppy
Guppy
133 Posts

[Post New]by kailuaauntie on Apr 17, 18 5:44 PM
Lambina wrote:They were also talking about another site called proboard but both of them sounded like it would require volunteer's to run and moderate the forums so who knows how long that would last, also how can we know how secure those sites are. I still can't get over the fact that BF has put the axe to their forums and with the way that people are jumping off of the FB bandwagon this may turn out to be a really bad business decision on BFs part, I mean what kind of a gaming company does not have forums, it just does not make any sense, the ftp games require a big community of connected people to make them popular and successful. Also a mod said that there are a few new ftp games coming out in the future so who would want to volunteer to run forums for those.

There is already a Midnight Castle forum under construction on Delphi Forums in which they are discussing what to transfer (or not) from BFG.

Go to: