bfgBiwa
3,458 Posts

Reviews for Mystery Murders: The Sleeping Palace

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on May 7, 13 12:36 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Mystery Murders: The Sleeping Palace? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Mystery Murders: The Sleeping Palace page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBiwa

bfgBiwa
3,458 Posts

Re:Reviews for Mystery Murders: The Sleeping Palace

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on May 7, 13 12:37 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBiwa

[Post New]by JaggerTheHutt on May 7, 13 12:46 AM
Nice game so far. Makes a change from all the plain HOGs. Very pretty artwork and the scenes aren't too cluttered. So far there's no tiny objects straining my poor old eyes.

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,130 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on May 7, 13 12:50 AM
The options in this game are
Music and sound volume
Full screen
Mute sound
Custom cursor.
There are 2 difficulty modes which, as far as I can see, cannot be changed while playing.
There is an interactive map and a journal.

This is a bit like the story of Sleeping Beauty. LOL!
The graphics are very bright and a little blurred.
At first I came across a lot of things that needed something else to open/use it.
The first HOS that I came across, again was bright but a little blurry, no interaction.
I am not sure if this game will hold my interest or not. I wait to see what others who may buy it, think of it.
This dev famous for cheery looking graphics, is based in the UK. Surprise to me. I have not been keen on their games in the past but this may be the start.....................

[Post New]by bad_blueberry on May 7, 13 1:21 AM
Really bright colorful game. Each area is quite nice to look at and enjoying following the story line. A nice change to the regular HOG games where its just random scenes with no story. The whimsical voice acting makes this game a bit more refreshing too.
I give it a sold 4.5 out of 5 recommend it.

[Post New]by elvenstardragon on May 7, 13 2:09 AM
Yet another slow download. 2 hours and still at 85%. This is just not good enough. I thought it had been fixed with the last couple of games seeming to download not too bad but here we are again.
I thought I had a game I could use a Coupon Code on, but once again I may lose it because if I can't get a SE game I can't use it. It's beginning to look as though these Coupon Codes are redundent, and if they are what's the point in being a member? I only play HOG games and I usually buy the CE games and I need SE games to use them. SE games seem to be few and far between these days. I have 8 to use before the end of June.

Edited on 05/07/2013 at 2:12:53 AM PST

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
4,766 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on May 7, 13 2:10 AM
This is a nice enough game with nice, colorful graphics, and an interesting story. Of course, this story has been told before, but there are enough differences to hold your interest. Really, it's sort of a "Princess Isabella" lite.

The story begins with you (the princess-to-be) waking up in a castle that has somehow been enchanted, and everyone (except the king, who may be the victim of foul play) is asleep. Memory seems to return in little snippets as your exploration continues. The prince (husband-to-be?) is sound asleep, and possibly dreaming about all the feminine and girly things in his wardrobe and room. But that's another story.

The HOS are very slightly interactive, and a little bit blurry, but feature a lot of unique items to find.

The puzzles are simple enough.

There are voiceovers that are nicely done.

There is no widescreen.

There is a map for moving from place to place, but it does not show if something remains to be done at any particular location.

The hint system is erratic, showing certain things with little or no explanation. But that's not really a problem since it's simple enough to figure out what to do without much help, and certainly no guide or walkthough would be needed. Maybe the devs just planned to give a little nudge in a game this easy.

But the gameplay itself is good, the story is interesting, and the SE pricing point makes it a good buy for me. It's not a 10/10 (or beyond), but a nice game.

Edited on 05/07/2013 at 2:16:46 AM PST

ElderJen
Starfish
Starfish
58 Posts

[Post New]by ElderJen on May 7, 13 2:29 AM
elvenstardragon wrote:Yet another slow download. 2 hours and still at 85%. This is just not good enough. I thought it had been fixed with the last couple of games seeming to download not too bad but here we are again.
I thought I had a game I could use a Coupon Code on, but once again I may lose it because if I can't get a SE game I can't use it. It's beginning to look as though these Coupon Codes are redundent, and if they are what's the point in being a member? I only play HOG games and I usually buy the CE games and I need SE games to use them. SE games seem to be few and far between these days. I have 8 to use before the end of June.

Hi Elvenstar.. I have left a response in the Technical difficulties page. Try again tomorrow, it will be fine then.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
8,180 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on May 7, 13 3:15 AM
Morning, all...

There are 2 gameplay modes.

There is voice-over.

There is no widescreen for me.

There is a choice of a large custom cursor and a blue smaller custom cursor.

Your MAP is at the left. It shows you the places you have visited so far, and where you are. You can also use the map to jump. You can't, however, see where actions are needed, which is a pain in the dark hole, because the Hint button also doesn't help much. More of this later...

The "Options" thingy is also at the left. Click on it to be able to go back to the Main Menu.

The Journal is at the right, as is the HINT button, which only takes about 15 seconds to refill in Casual mode.

Puzzles can be skipped. The SKIP button takes only about 20 seconds to fill in Casual mode.

The HOS (hidden object scenes) I have come across so far are not interactive.

--- --- ---

The graphics are a little old-fashioned, and gameplay is slightly clunky (for me).

After half an hour play, I am totally stuck. The map doesn't tell me where I should go next, and the Hint button so far has only told me that I should look somewhere else. I have been in every room that is available so far three times, and in each scene the Hint button told me to go and look elsewhere. This is pretty much the first time in a very long time where I am stuck, and not a walkthrough in sight.

I was going to get this game with a PCC, but decided not to bother after all. If I am stuck this early into the game, and I have been through every scene several times and not gotten a hint of what to do next and where, then I dread to think what I might encounter later on. So anyway, long story short, it's a no-buy for me.

anabel1566
Lobster
Lobster
87 Posts

[Post New]by anabel1566 on May 7, 13 3:41 AM
I completely agree with your post Valdy. I too, was stuck. The hint button is basically useless. I must have clicked on 30 different areas (you need a key for this, this statute should be holding something, this puzzle is missing a piece) I had nothing in my inventory to work with. When I finally did get items in my inventory, I had 2 blank spots that indicated 1/3 (meaning I had to more of the item to find) but what was the item??? Couldn't see a picture of the item. As you say Valdy, the game was clunky.

Even for free, it's just not the game for me. Deleted.

[Post New]by elvenstardragon on May 7, 13 3:50 AM
ElderJen wrote:
elvenstardragon wrote:Yet another slow download. 2 hours and still at 85%. This is just not good enough. I thought it had been fixed with the last couple of games seeming to download not too bad but here we are again.

Hi Elvenstar.. I have left a response in the Technical difficulties page. Try again tomorrow, it will be fine then.

Thanks ElderJen. But it does defeat the object of being a member and Tomorrows Game Today. What are we actually paying for?!!!

Sept24
Guppy
Guppy
151 Posts

[Post New]by Sept24 on May 7, 13 5:44 AM
I also found myself stuck and exited the game because of it. If there was a walkthrough I would still consider getting it with a PCC. I may go back and look at the journal again and see if there is an answer but I don't want it without a walkthrough as I find being stuck without a clue where to go very frustrating and agree with Valdy that if it happens this early it will probably happen again. I don't think it is a great game, but am interested enough to continue if walkthrough becomes available.

kat1117
Clownfish
Clownfish
928 Posts

[Post New]by kat1117 on May 7, 13 6:14 AM
I may use a coupon for this one. Nothing new or great, but still nice. I was stuck a couple of times too. If you use the map to jump from room to room & then ask for a hint & I think you can become unstuck pretty quickly.

[Post New]by heatherington on May 7, 13 6:16 AM
From the makers of Halloween: Trick or Treat and Easter Eggztravaganza. It's good to see them doing something different. Beautiful rooms and map that takes you to wherever you want to go. That's a good thing when there are lots and lots of rooms. Good job guys. A definite buy for me.

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
612 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on May 7, 13 7:18 AM
Wow, not for me...very slow moving game. I had to immediately get rid of that custom cursor...what a large awkward thing that was. The game filled my screen by looked a bit stretched. I went into options to take off the wide-screen and then the screen was too small, but certainly more clear. The wide screen seemed to distort enough that it made it blurry enough to bother my eyes.

Absolutely could not stand the voice over....but then I am not a fan of voice overs, so that could just be me. Game did not catch my attention enough to even want to finished the demo. I need a game to pick up and get on with it and this one wasn't doing it.

Also, had trouble getting the inventory items to go where they were suppose to go. Had to try several times with the window latch as it would not place. Very frustrating.
From what I played of the demo, I have to only give this a 2 out of 5.

jonah11
Guppy
Guppy
160 Posts

[Post New]by jonah11 on May 7, 13 7:36 AM
I too am stuck after 10 minutes. I have gone to every room with no luck. In my inventory I have a bar of soap and a razor. Don't know what to do. Will be a no buy for me.

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on May 7, 13 8:05 AM
jonah11, you'll probably find that you've missed the exit from room outside your room to the downstairs. The arrow isn't noticeable. down arrow at right of your screen.

HEY GANG! This is the REVIEW thread.

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
626 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on May 7, 13 8:36 AM
I have really enjoyed the demo of this game. Excellent for SE anymore
As the title says it's a palace full of sleeping people that you have to save.

The voice overs were well done and spoken quickly or you can read it and click thru. Graphics are well done IMO also.

There is no walkthrough for this as yet but it does supply a map that lets you jump from area to area so if you are stuck just go to each area until you find something to do The HOGS are spaced well and fairly easy as are the mini games. Although I thought the mini games were a bit uninspired they were a lot of fun and doable

I will get this game when I finish what I am playing now. It flows well and kept me interested so far

The only thing that really bothered me about this game was trying to take items from inventory! Either I couldn't grab them on the first try or, and this happened a lot, when I tried to click on an item I would back right out of that scene. That was rather aggravating!

dancemom1
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on May 7, 13 9:30 AM
I agree with most reviews. This could have been a nice game without much difficulty. The graphics started out blurry and very poorly done, but then cleared up. Game play was nice, music nice. HOGs far between and a lot of items very difficult to see, i.e., a brown fork on a brown table. Games the same as usual, nothing new.

Hint recovers fast, but it completely useless and a waste of space. I do not care for games that don't actually give you a hint when you need one. Telling me there is nothing more to do here and to look somewhere else is not a hint. I already know I can't find anything else here! The hint "sparkles" are difficult to see as well, being very light. You have to look fast to find them. Most areas are blocked by some "magic" force, so you are limited in where you can go until you accomplish a task. Okay, give me a hint! This game definitely needs a WT.

This might be an okay game for a beginner who just wants to get the feel of a HOG and run around in circles, but not for a seasoned gamer. I'm on the edge as to whether or not I would recommend this game. I think it would be okay if it had a useful hint system. Anyway, no buy for me without a fix.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this one quite enjoyable. Thanks for the reviews.

Paige63
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by Paige63 on May 7, 13 9:32 AM
I lasted for 30 minutes in the demo and then got stuck. The hint button is not very useful at all. The graphics are bright and colorful and it was good to have a map. However I don't like that the map does not show where an action is needed. The hint system and the map make this a no buy for me,

Go to: