bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Portal of Evil: Stolen Runes Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on May 9, 13 12:29 AM
The gates to another world will open soon! You can stop the impending disaster - if you track down the stolen runes!

Vanessa is the only heiress of Abraham Van Helsinga, a member of the secret order of light guarding world peace. And now she has to find the stolen runes that were sealed inside the gate, behind which lurks an ancient evil.

This is a special Collector's Edition release full of exclusive extras you won't find in the standard version. As a bonus, Collector's Edition purchases count toward three stamps on your Monthly Game Club Punch Card!

The Collector's Edition includes:

An exciting bonus game
An integrated, step-by-step strategy guide
Concept art
Downloadable wallpapers
More than 200 objects to find!

Edited on 05/09/2013 at 4:11:48 AM PST

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

Re:Portal of Evil: Stolen Runes Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on May 9, 13 1:40 AM
It's a good game, but miss the attraction which is a part of the "wow" factor.

Even if here the Evil is fought - no need to make the surroundings so dark and depressive. Some light, some fancy furniture (like the yesterday's game) in the HOS, would give it quite a push up. Dark and wrecked background has not much of attraction. I am with Valdi here.

But - opposite to yesterday's game - you have here maximum help of the hint system out of the HOS, and lovely map, which shows you which areas require actions. Only for this I would buy it... (may be I will).

-----------------------------------------

By the way, a little anemone (2 posts) solved the game for those who were left only with the poison bottle. CUDOS! I did as s/he instructed, and finished the game. Go there and read!

crawle1960
Guppy
Guppy
123 Posts

[Post New]by crawle1960 on May 9, 13 2:31 AM
Rebeca_Lily wrote:It's a good game, but miss the attraction which is a part of the "wow" factor.

Even if here the Evil is fought - no need to make the surroundings so dark and depressive. Some light, some fancy furniture (like the yesterday's game) in the HOS, would give it quite a push up. Dark and wrecked background has not much of attraction. I am with Valdi here.

But - opposite to yesterday's game - you have here maximum help of the hint system out of the HOS, and lovely map, which shows you which areas require actions. Only for this I would buy it... (may be I will).

-----------------------------------------

By the way, a little anemone (2 posts) solved the game for those who were left only with the poison bottle. CUDOS! I did as s/he instructed, and finished the game. Go there and read!

I cant find the forum for the game cudos solved

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on May 9, 13 2:43 AM
crawie:

http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/246239.page#5236243

Next time: click on "community; click on "game forums" (you will get the first letter of all games); click on "M" (Mystery); find the game.

The solution is hidden. Highlight the blank space to read it.

Edited on 05/09/2013 at 4:09:56 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on May 9, 13 2:44 AM
crawle1960 wrote:
Rebeca_Lily wrote:By the way, a little anemone (2 posts) solved the game for those who were left only with the poison bottle. CUDOS! I did as s/he instructed, and finished the game. Go there and read!

I cant find the forum for the game cudos solved

Crawle, Rebeca_Lily meant she is giving Kudos to whoever solved the game.

Here is the link to the forum in question:

http://forums.bigfishgames.com/forums/show/3345.page

--- --- ---

ETA: Oh, I see Rebeca_Lily sneaked in while I was busy typing. LOL

Edited on 05/09/2013 at 4:09:14 AM PST

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on May 9, 13 3:05 AM
Valdy, you are always welcome, you're the bestest...

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on May 9, 13 4:08 AM
Swimming in with my clickable link wand!

Poof -all done!

bfgBaikal

Janie42
Clownfish
Clownfish
598 Posts

[Post New]by Janie42 on May 9, 13 5:28 AM
Since I demo'd the other 2 games by this dev & both were no-buys for me because they had way too many hos for my liking, I won't demo this unless someone who's played the full game lets us know:
How many hos
?
& Does mix of hos-to-other activities (inventory tasks/puzzles) suddenly change once past the demo portion? (which has been known to happen)?

Likewise, some reviewers say puzzles are a lot & hard whereas others say puzzles are easy? Hmmmm...

(I'm one who hates morphing objects & doesn't care about collectibles so that doesn't influence me, but % of hos in a game does.)

minesita
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,975 Posts

[Post New]by minesita on May 9, 13 9:02 AM
Contrary to so many bad reviews of this game, actually I like it!!!

Somebody on the main page, said the game looks long, 10 chapters and bonus chapter.

I love is not having so many HOS, what I played is good, I like the story, and to me, the most important is having fun with a game!!!

I'll wait until Monday (hopefully should be an extra punch) to buy this and Mystery Murders, another game that most of the Fishies didn't like.

BTW, Happy Mother's Day !

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on May 9, 13 10:38 AM
minesita wrote:Contrary to so many bad reviews of this game, actually I like it!!!

Somebody on the main page, said the game looks long, 10 chapters and bonus chapter.

I love is not having so many HOS, what I played is good, I like the story, and to me, the most important is having fun with a game!!!

I'll wait until Monday (hopefully should be an extra punch) to buy this and Mystery Murders, another game that most of the Fishies didn't like.

BTW, Happy Mother's Day !

I agree with you I like this game also especially since it has few Hos. It is really all about having fun with a game and not getting bored.

Edited on 05/19/2013 at 11:01:53 AM PST

Penguin29
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by Penguin29 on May 9, 13 11:01 AM
I've only played 45 minutes and I really like this game. Not too many HOS. and great puzzles. It's a buy for me.

[Post New]by angelofmusic62 on May 9, 13 12:47 PM
Not a bad game, but I sometimes have problems believing in the game and it distracts me. Some spoilers to follow: Grandpa belonged to secret religious society, and has been missing for a few weeks, yet graddaughter is surprised to get a letter from an archbishop who wants to meet with her. When she gets there a guard tells her she can't take her car through because the gate is broken and he can't leave his post to fix it. But lo and behold, he just happens to have a screwdriver to give to her so she can walk 2 feet over and take it apart herself. We are in Italy, but the guard apologizes that his English is not good. Why would you apologize for not speaking a language that is not your country's official language? Besides, his English is sounds pretty good to me. I know I am probably being overly picky, but doesn't anyone test these games so that there is at least a little bit of logic?

I'm also confused because our main character is driving in Italy in a car with the steering wheel on the right. She is driving on the right side of the road. Am I missing something? Not that it takes away from the game, I was just wondering.

Maybe I'll try finishing the demo another time and it won't bother me so much. To all who like this one, enjoy.

_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

[Post New]by _DD_ on May 9, 13 1:15 PM
...but they do drive on the right side of the road in Italy. In fact, all of continental Europe is on the right.

but not necessarily the steering wheel. Esp. not when driving on the right.

LOL, angel, you are so right! I also rolled my eyes at the screwdriver-scene! and wondered that no one else from that precious order wondered about Grandpa meanwhile (weeks!) or tried to rescue him... and if she is really the only one, it would have been a good idea to tell her about the whole thing a LITTLE earlier, eh?! LOL

nonetheless, I liked the game; I wanted to play further when the demo ended. (will buy somewhen later, probably)

Edited on 05/09/2013 at 1:16:03 PM PST

minesita
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,975 Posts

[Post New]by minesita on May 9, 13 2:01 PM
Oh thank you angelo, I didn't notice the steering wheel on the right! Maybe is the way twinsoniclab said, she drove all the way from England !!!

I laughed a lot when she get the screwdriver, how convenient!!! But that is to me having fun with some games! Also I like the story and I'm going to buy it. Unless somebody say the BC is horrible, I'll have the CE.Only I opened once the SG, actually I don't know if it's good or not!

_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

[Post New]by _DD_ on May 9, 13 2:08 PM
twinsoniclab wrote:Are you saying the steering wheel was on the right, and she was driving on the right? Maybe she drove all the way from England!

I'd say yes, both right. And the car top was open... so rather not England ) But hey, you're right, the scene with the guard made us look at the left side of the car... again, not totally unambiguous, as the car top was closed then, I believe.

What got me was that demons were busting through into this world, and the archbishop (is that right?) told her she was the one to stop them, sat down and proceeded to read a book!

LOL, yes, that was another of these 'funny details'!

silverfiesta
Guppy
Guppy
155 Posts

[Post New]by silverfiesta on May 9, 13 11:12 PM
What got me was that demons were busting through into this world, and the archbishop (is that right?) told her she was the one to stop them, sat down and proceeded to read a book!

Could have been his Bible - a good idea when dealing with demons!!!

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by sassylassie on May 10, 13 12:20 AM
The answer to someone's question in his/her review, I will always think of this game as a 10/10 and am not going to change it. I based my review on the beta version not the demo.

[Post New]by CathyCatfish on May 10, 13 3:26 PM
sassylassie wrote:The answer to someone's question in his/her review, I will always think of this game as a 10/10 and am not going to change it. I based my review on the beta version not the demo.

so, if you played the *actual game* and discovered that the bonus chapter was a complete disappointment, you would not come back and tell us?

also, as we all know, beta testing is just that... *testing* and getting fishies' input about *changes* they would like to see made to the game. the beta tests i have done or heard about are only the first hour or so, just like the demo version.

so, if you write your review of THIS game... "portals of evil: stolen runes collector's edition"... based only on the BETA test, not the *actual game* that is released to the public, how do you know that changes have not been made from what you saw and played... which means that you might actually be basing your review on something different from what the rest of us see and play?

seems to me it would be better and more accurate to post a review based on the demo version or full game than to assume there are no changes made from beta test to released game. then you *know* that you are seeing and reviewing the same thing the rest of us are.

anyway, just wondering... i really like this game and if it were an SE, i would probably give it "9/10", but as i can see very little to make it CE quality, it gets "6/10".
one more reason i would like fishies' input (including yours!) after playing the BC.

ed: clarification of concept

Edited on 05/10/2013 at 4:40:12 PM PST

[Post New]by CathyCatfish on May 10, 13 3:31 PM
twinsoniclab wrote:
sassylassie wrote:The answer to someone's question in his/her review, I will always think of this game as a 10/10 and am not going to change it. I based my review on the beta version not the demo.

You are a lucky ducky Sassy! You get to beta every CE that comes out! What do you do to allow for that?

By the way, people are mentioning your 10/10 reviews, because believe it or not, that is all you ever give a CE game!

I will like the game as a SE, or BOGO sale, but it does seem short on CE material. That is, the "collectibles" are something you have to find to progress, and will find as you play. Please post after you finish it and tell us if you still like it as much. Demos (and betas) can be misleading. Is the bonus extraordinary? What makes it CE worthy?

i agree 100% and give your comment a "10/10" rating!
in my review, i gave this game a "6/10" rating, because there is really nothing other than a bonus chapter to give it CE credibility and since i'm not spending the money for this as a CE, i won't know if the BC is worth the double price or not. and, generally speaking, the BC alone is not. since this game has no morphing/beyond objects (the scrolls from abraham don't count, even though they announce when you find one, because they are not an "extra" to find, they are part of the game, as you also pointed out.) no achievements, no trophies, nothing... its only CE material is the SG and the BC. not enough for me, esp since i would never use the SG... the game's too easy.
that's why it's always appreciated when fishies who have actually finished the game give their (new or updated) ratings. basing a rating on a beta test or demo, can be, as you so rightly pointed out, misleading. and basing it on the BETA is even more of a slippery slope because something may have been *changed* from the beta version to the finished version. that's kinda the point of a beta test, you know?

personally, for me alone, IMHO... when anyone tends to rate each and every CE the same exact way, with the same exact rating or "X/out of 10" rating, they lose credibility in *my* eyes and i just skim over the review (if i read it at all) because i already know what it's going to say. and my skimming tells me i'm correct.

grabbinbugs
Minnow
Minnow
225 Posts

[Post New]by grabbinbugs on May 10, 13 9:29 PM
Thank you sassylassie for speaking up. I also gave this game a 10 and won't change one word of my review. Very good CE's do not necessarily require morphing objects or umpteen collections to be deemed an excellent game. And yes the 15 notes in this game are truly a collectable as not all of them are attached to a task or inventory item.

Go to: