bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Portal of Evil: Stolen Runes Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on May 9, 13 12:36 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Portal of Evil: Stolen Runes Collector's Edition ? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Portal of Evil: Stolen Runes Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Portal of Evil: Stolen Runes Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on May 9, 13 12:36 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by sassylassie on May 9, 13 12:38 AM
This game I definitely rate a 10/10. From what I played on the beta version, I didn't want to stop. Bought this game straight away.

Story: Vanessa's grandfather was a member of the Secret Order who was guarding the gate but evil prevailed and stole the ruins. Vanessa's grandfather went in search of the runes, but disappeared. Vanessa, being the only heiress, is not only in search of the ruins, but also her grandfather.

Music: Absolutely wonderful. Fits the game perfectly.

Graphics: Gorgeous! I stopped playing for a bit just to look at them. Even the opening scene looks like something out of the movies.

Mini games: Not too hard or easy. Just enough challenge. Really enjoyed them.

H0G Scenes: Some are the list with extra step items, and some are where you have to put the items back into the scene.

Map: Jump map. The best kind

This team did an exceptional job with this game. Kudos to them. I truly enjoyed the beta, and now look forward to the full version.

Edited on 05/09/2013 at 1:28:59 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on May 9, 13 1:14 AM
Morning, all...

This game has 8 chapters plus the bonus chapter.

There are 2 gameplay modes.

You can change the screen resolution, and there is proper widescreen.

There is voice-over.

There is a choice of a large ugly custom cursor or the system cursor.

Your Diary is at the left. Underneath is the Menu button.

At the right is the HINT button, which takes 30 seconds to refill in Casual mode.

Also at the right is your MAP, which you will get a little into the game. It shows you where you are and where actions are needed. You can also use it to jump.

The SG (strategy guide) is underneath the Hint button.

There are 15 messages to be found.

The HOS (hidden object scenes) are few and far in between, and partly interactive.

Puzzles are many (this is more of a game for Puzzlers than Hoggers), and can be skipped. The SKIP button takes about 1 1/2 minutes to fill in Casual mode.

--- --- ---

I wouldn't give this game a 10/10, but it's a decent enough game, just not CE material, IMO.

The graphics were not to my liking (slightly old-fashioned adventure game style, I thought).

I wasn't the least impressed with the game(play) - nothing special stood out. I also didn't notice any specials in the game that would make it a buy for me. There are no achievements, no morphing objects, nothing. Yes, you have to find 15 messages, but they are part of finding other things at the same time, nothing special here.

So anyway, I was disappointed with the game on the whole: too many puzzles, too long wait for the Skip button to fill, not impressed with the graphics, mediocre gameplay. Needless to say that I won't buy this game, not even as an SE. Sorry...

I am sure there are lots of gamers who will enjoy this game. To those: enjoy. Off to download the "FREE" game that came out today as a soft release.

--- --- ---

Edited to remove the "removed by mod" part. Oh well... LOL

Edited on 05/09/2013 at 2:28:08 AM PST

grabbinbugs
Minnow
Minnow
225 Posts

[Post New]by grabbinbugs on May 9, 13 1:17 AM
Very impressive game. Superb artwork. Quite theatrical and certainly one of the finest accompanying musical scores I have ever encountered in a game. Story is well done as are the voice overs. Game has 8 chapters plus bonus. Puzzles are not too easy nor too hard. HO's are interactive and there is an excellent jump map.
There is only one collection to find which are 15 documents your grandfather has hidden for you to locate. I rate this a definite 10/10 and it's a buy here for sure.

Sept24
Guppy
Guppy
151 Posts

[Post New]by Sept24 on May 9, 13 1:50 AM
One big attraction for me is the lack of constant list hidden object scenes. I hope it continues to be every other one is the kind where things are put back into the picture because I really like those. There were 2 hidden object scenes and 2 reverse. Lots of puzzles and hopefully more adventure. I agree the music is great for the game. I wouldn't give it a 10/10 but I do like it enough to buy it, just might wait for SE to buy as it isn't that exciting of a game that I can't wait to play.

Edited on 05/09/2013 at 10:28:31 AM PST

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on May 9, 13 2:01 AM
When I played the beta version of this game, I had high hopes that with some changes, this would be a good game. However, I don't see that a single thing has been changed. And that's unfortunate, since the rudiments of a decent story are here. But there are too many negatives here that keep the rating of this game too low to be of much interest to me.

First, the graphics are not up to what we are seeing in the top-tier games these days. They had an indistinct, sort of fuzzy look to them that make the game appear to be dated, a style that is quite unattractive and really isn't used much. It looks old, and lacks the crisp, clean, clear look that appeals to me.

And, the CE package falls way short of what we sometimes see. Of course, there are the usual wallpapers, the concept art, and the music ---- big deal. Strategy guide and bonus game like all CEs have. But beyond that, nothing. Even the "messages" you find are not anything extra, just part of the game.

The puzzles are overly simple.

The HOS have the same lack of crispness and detail as the main game.

The map, which can be used to go from place to place, is somewhat unclear as to what to do ---- certainly have seen better maps.

And the cut scenes are very poorly done ---- they have no polish, with no detail. Like an old serial.

So as a CE, this one is not at all comparable to some of the truly stellar games we have seen here, not at all. More like 4/10. (After all, not every single game can be 10/10!) So I didn't much care for the beta, and with no changes at all, I don't much care for the game.

Edited on 05/09/2013 at 12:38:40 PM PST

sartasia
Stingray
Stingray
4,581 Posts

[Post New]by sartasia on May 9, 13 7:38 AM
I think this one will come down to a matter of taste.
Beta'd this quite a while ago and gave it an A in my book. Not an A+ but very enjoyable.
I like this dev . Their previous H0 "Shadows: Price of our Sins" was a favorite of mine. Though this is a very different type story and different approach than that one it still held my interest. More of your standard tale of good vs evil. Not a castle or haunted house this time but set in an Italian Cathedral so the story has religious overtones (i.e. spirits and demons) for those that are bothered by this kind of theme. Simple plot..find the runes to stop the evil.
There's nothing dated about these graphics just simply a different style. They are crisp, clear and play in widescreen for me. Some of the outdoor scenes were truly lovely.
It has the standard casual game quirkiness even at the beginning. Who would hang a key there??
I have written in my book that I was disappointed when the Beta ended and since I have one of the other games with this sale on my yes list it's a buy for me.

Try before you buy.
Happy Gaming

Edited to buy a vowel..

Edited on 05/09/2013 at 7:44:30 AM PST

gks1951
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by gks1951 on May 9, 13 9:24 AM
Hi every one, sorry to say i just couldn;t sink my teeth into this one.It is void of any excitement.

mrssharon
Guppy
Guppy
192 Posts

Not CE Quality

[Post New]by mrssharon on May 9, 13 9:50 AM
There wasn't much I liked about this game in the demo which I played for 22 minutes before deleting it.

The voice overs were awful; the lips came nowhere near syncing with the words. The main female character had a pleasant voice and it almost had the sound of being concerned about her missing grandpa, but not quite.

The man who was to settle her in gave a flimsy excuse why he couldn't see her to her room and then departed. His lips didn't sync with the dialog, either.

The hidden object scenes were fairly decent as far as finding item, but I didn't care for the graphics. Too dark and lots of reddish tones. Additionally, they seemed a bit fuzzy. Also, I don't care for the way the characters were drawn. They were stiff and emotionless.

The puzzles (and calling them puzzles is being nice) were way too simple. No challenge at all. Aim this, make that a shape... all done in about 5 steps.

The storyline left a lot of questions about what the real mission was, and there was a lot of dialog that didn't address anything. Game progression was very easy in spite of that. Find a needed item, use the needed item.

I did't use the hint, strategy guide or map, they simply were not necessary to figure out what to do next.

No real excitement, no real challenge, no buy for me.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on May 9, 13 11:39 AM
Great game and has lots going for it.. Like the IHOG's and puzzles which are fun to do. Has a map and you can click on it to go where you want to go. Has tasks that need to be done at a certain location and you can go there. Graphics are ok, a little small but I was able to see them ok. Storyline is a good one and it does have some voice overs too. Give it 4 out of 5 stars..

JanG7
Guppy
Guppy
110 Posts

[Post New]by JanG7 on May 9, 13 2:17 PM
I am very glad I tried this game for myself. I wasn't sure at first, but I bought it hoping it wasn't a waste of time or money. I was very pleased.

Game play is very long and so is the bonus chapter.

The game keeps getting more intense as it goes on. The graphics and sound were not a problem on PC, and the voice overs were not the best, but by far not the worst.

In my opinion, it is a game CE worthy. Over 7 hours to complete the game and the bonus chapter and I used the hint and map button many times.

I will playing this game again.

Nice job devs and BFG for an unexpected good game.

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on May 9, 13 2:26 PM
I'm still on the fence. The music and graphics are great, but it seems to play like an old fashioned adventure game with Hogs and puzzles scattered throughout. As an SE i would have bought it immediately, but as a CE ???????

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on May 9, 13 3:01 PM
Afternoon all. Graphics and game play aren't bad. Games are not simple and do take a bit of thought and time to complete. HOGs are very few and switch between standard HOG and "place the item," which I liked. There needs to be a few more HOGs to break up the constant running back and forth. Hint system is nice and useful, fills fairly quickly. Nice SG as well.

There is a jump map, which is extremely helpful in this game. I do like the voice overs (always a plus for me in any game). Other than a few VO and lite music, there isn't a lot of FX, but what there is, is appropriate for the scene. I did not care for the fact that the cursor kept switching between the ugly game cursor and the standard "arrow." I don't like the big bulky cursors so may devs want to use. What's the point? It distracts from the game.

Not a bad game, but nothing new or special either. It just seems to lean towards the beginner side. The only extra was finding notes from grandpa, so I don't know that this is CE worthy, but I may get it as an SE. I'm backing off of CE games these days. Need to use up my credits, so unless it is exceptional, I will wait for the SE.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all.

Janeypat
Minnow
Minnow
262 Posts

[Post New]by Janeypat on May 9, 13 3:53 PM
i dont usually comment on games - i just rant about downloads etc - but I really liked this game - bought it as CE and was not expecting the high things we normally get with CE but i wish there was a place between CE and SE - do not need wallpapers etc and would like to have the option of buying bonus chapter - if need for a small £/$ If we carry on buying CE with all the added - what wallpaper and music would we end up with??
just give good games without/or options to buy all the bumph that goes with
money is tight for all of us - how many of you need these added extras that are never used ?

[Post New]by CathyCatfish on May 9, 13 5:51 PM
when i beta tested this game, i thought, well, i will probably buy this as an SE unless they add some better collectibles or other fun stuff.

just finished the demo... nothing's changed from the beta, so i will buy the SE. it's a nice enough game, pretty graphics, although hazy at times... interesting story line.
the music is nice enough.
i also like that it's a non-linear game. lots of places to explore!

the puzzles? HEH. not puzzling. i appreciate that there are a lot of them, though, so i guess that sorta makes up for the lack of difficulty. the only one that took me more than a minute (if that) was the one where you put in the template at the top. that's pretty much trial and error with a little logic thrown in to narrow down the starting point. less than five minutes for that one.

the characters seem pretty stiff, but they are done like LFA characters (3 D-ish) so that may be part of it. but, they just don't seem "invested" in the jobs they do/roles they play. could have used better VO actors, i think.

and for one of those logic things that doesn't make sense... the smithy (i guess he was) down in the basement... he "yelled" at her and told her not to touch things as they might be dangerous... but yet then he tells her to look around and find the key! LOL! which is it, keep your hands to yourself or dig around and find the key? harummph!

so, when the SE comes out, it will be a buy for me. i have plenty to do in my "unplayed games" file to keep me busy until then...

ETA: forgot to mention, this is definitely NOT a "10/10" game unless you are fairly new to these games.
it's much too easy for that rating.
i'd give it a 6/10 for fewer HOSs and more "puzzles" and its non-linear gameplay. played on the more difficult level and there was still a lot of hand-holding.

Edited on 05/09/2013 at 5:55:03 PM PST

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on May 10, 13 3:47 AM
another must buy for me, beautiful graphics, mini puzzles 2 modes of hos, interactive map, not that easy mini puzzles, great storyline

ugmm..ugmmmm. Complete the set with the sales NOW ON!

Penguin29
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by Penguin29 on May 10, 13 11:18 AM
Great game.. going in my top 10 favs... a mix of almost everything. Just entered the fourth and final portal. No tech issues at all. Love the map

review based on demo only

[Post New]by biscuitsmama on May 10, 13 2:01 PM
twinsoniclab wrote:If I were to give it a rating out of 10, I would give it a 5 or 6. Nothing particularly wrong with the game, and if it were a SE I might bite, but not as a CE.
I hope those who gave it a 10/10 come back when they finish to tell us if they still feel the same, how the bonus was, and anything that makes this CE worthy.

I finally finished the game and thought there was a lot about it that was a very, very good game. I loved the music, the puzzles and the storyline - all were excellent. What I did not like is that the game ends and then seems to continue in the bonus content. It seems that once again a developer has used what should be the final chapter of the game as bonus content.

Since there is no real bonus content, the game should be a SE. IMHO, people who buy the SE will not really have closure on the story.

If BFG does not want to lose their credibility, I think they should put a stop to this practice. It is not playing fair with the consumer.

[Post New]by CathyCatfish on May 10, 13 8:12 PM
thank you, biscuitsmama!
this is the kind of review/update that i really appreciate hearing!
based on this, i will not buy the game at all, even as an SE. i have plenty of others to play and this one was not so stellar that i *must* play it!

a few months ago, i gave both BFG and ERS (via email to their website) a hard time over this very practice. it is unfair to the customer and i will not support (i.e. BUY) any game whose dev does this. the SE should end the story successfully and the BC should be an enhancement of the story only. ERS denied that they were putting the ending of the story in the bonus chapter, but BFG declared that i was right and issued a free game coupon for another SE.

Go to: