Reviews for Farm Up

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Farm Up

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on May 9, 13 12:46 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Farm Up ? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Farm Up page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

Edited on 06/14/2013 at 4:41:52 PM PST

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Farm Up

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on May 9, 13 12:47 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

govols2
Shark
Shark
11,575 Posts

Re:Reviews for Farm Up Free to Play

[Post New]by govols2 on May 9, 13 6:44 AM
This is a Free to Play game. Set up is a little similar to Farmington Tales. You plant crops, care for animals, clean up the yard and repair buildings. Each thing you do uses energy points.

Like Found-Free to Play you will have to let the energy build back up before you can do some things. Clicking on certain things like the moles or butterflies will give you coins or items for collections.

You can use actual money to purchase energy but it is possible to play this game without spending money. Just check back every once in awhile after energy has built back up

You receive quests that will earn you coins/energy.

The instructions are not real clear but I have managed to figure out what to do mostly by trial and error.

Not a bad little farm game and as it is free definitely worth the price. Great for an in between game

barbaralbb
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by barbaralbb on May 9, 13 7:43 AM
Seriously....? Life was good down on the farm during the 30's (per game description) Does no one remember history? My Grandparents and Mom were eating hoe cakes (that's soft cornbread) and sorghum on most days. Meat once a week, if they were lucky... and they had it better than most of their neighbors. Ah, the Good Old Days! Or as my Grandmother used to say "the good old days weren't all they were cracked up to be!" The folks who write the cover page info should stick to the game and cut the "editorial" comments.

The game is okay, typical build it, and kind of fun, so I may use a credit for it. But, it ain't my grandparent's farm in the 30's........

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on May 9, 13 12:23 PM
When I played this game for about an hour, and started to get the hang of it, I began to enjoy it.

There is no tutorial, but the light bulb over people's head is kind of a tutorial. When you click on it, the person will tell you what you might want to do next, and gives you tips as well.

I am now on level 8, and really enjoy playing this game. At first I planted too many vegetables or fruits at the same time, thereby lowering my energy too quickly. Now I just plant 4 things at once (while my energy level is still comparatively low), because I also need to water them, and then harvest them. Each movement will cost 1 Energy point.

There are so many tasks ahead of me, but it's not necessary to do them as they come along. I do those ones first that are the quickest way to earn stars and money and energy, and leave the more expensive things until later.

Also, it's a good idea to first plant those things that don't take too long to grow. The pumpkins, for example, take hours to grow - unless you buy some speed growth, which cost a couple of gold pieces (but it's only good for one plant). With the speed growth you get an instantly fully grown fruit/veg/flower.

Later on you will also get some helpers, so you don't have to do everything by yourself.

So far I have not had any problems with the game. It plays beautifully for me - so far. Keeping my fingers Xed that it will continue this way.

--- --- ---

barbaralbb wrote:The game is okay, typical build it, and kind of fun, so I may use a credit for it. But, it ain't my grandparent's farm in the 30's........

This is a FREE game, barbaralbb. You do not pay for it. You can, however, pay for extras within the game, if you so wish.

Edited on 05/09/2013 at 12:24:48 PM PST

soblessed57
Manatee
Manatee
3,780 Posts

[Post New]by soblessed57 on May 9, 13 12:45 PM
No tutorial,so no clue whatsoever how to get character Jennifer to go where I want her/do or stop doing actions.Controls for me totally unmanageable. Cannot place planting plots where I want or wooden plank walkway. Energy drains at an unbelievably fast rate.

Looks great,but I don't think this one is for me.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on May 9, 13 12:53 PM
soblessed57 wrote:No tutorial,so no clue whatsoever how to get character Jennifer to go where I want her/do or stop doing actions.Controls for me totally unmanageable. Cannot place planting plots where I want or wooden plank walkway. Energy drains at an unbelievably fast rate.

Looks great,but I don't think this one is for me.

Yes, you can place anything anywhere. Click on that X at the right, which is one of the tabs, and you will get into "move" mode. Then you can move everything where you want them to be.

--- --- ---

BTW, if you don't want to use up too much energy, you don't have to water the plants. If you don't water them, they will just take a little longer to ripen.

Oh, and another thing: If you click on something, but don't want the girl to do the task after all, you just click on the tick again and it will disappear.

Edited on 05/09/2013 at 1:48:24 PM PST

[Post New]by minniesamson on May 9, 13 1:43 PM
I really love this game. It reminds me so much of all the games I loved to play on Facebook. I miss those games (FarmVille, Wild West Town, Gourmet Ranch, Cafe Life, etc) but I don't miss Facebook. Thank you for creating this game. Please make many more.

soblessed57
Manatee
Manatee
3,780 Posts

[Post New]by soblessed57 on May 9, 13 2:56 PM
Hi Valdy, I tried clicking on that red x but it just made my planting squares and wooden planks disappear so I had to re-purchase them! The items will not go where I want to place them not even Jennifer's chair!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on May 9, 13 3:11 PM
Soblessed, I have sent you a PM and explained it a little better.

--- --- ---

This is a wonderful game. I have the husband now with me (the game husband, that is), and he is now helping me. I had hoped he would help independently, without the energy level decreasing, but alas... every move he makes, 1 energy point will also be taken off.

For those peeps who think this is just a farming game, where you plant crops and then sell them to buy more seeds for more crops... there is so much more to do. There are lots of other things that will need to be fixed and renovated and build. Just give it a try, but you should at least stay with it for a couple of hours to see whether you like it or not. The beginning is always the most difficult part.

Edited on 05/09/2013 at 3:39:53 PM PST

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on May 9, 13 7:59 PM
Those who love FB game will love this, almost same gameplay with tasks to complete in order to level up. Slow game playing, needs a bit of patience

Graphics is so-so, but since free its ok to keep

I dont really like it and had it un-installed. Sorry fishies, not for me, but its FREE, what more do u expect?

Adelda
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by Adelda on May 9, 13 8:04 PM
I've played a little of it so far. One of the best farming games i've encountered form what i can tell. Only thing is tho im not really big on the yo have this mch energy and have to spend money to get more type games. It's why i don't play facebook games. I'll play some more and see what it's like time wise for getting more energy before making afinal decision tho.

soblessed57
Manatee
Manatee
3,780 Posts

[Post New]by soblessed57 on May 10, 13 5:45 AM
Nope, not working for me.

I just finished the walkway to the house,even though there are still 2 misplaced wooden planks[one is on top of a planting plot!]and levelled up to level 6, and both Jennifer and the neighbor have lightbulbs over their heads but when I click on them nothing happens.I tried to get her to do anything but she will not move, and my tool bar from the right side is gone so I have no options there. I had to press Alt+F4 to exit the game!

I'm going to uninstall and reinstall.

Edited on 05/10/2013 at 5:57:29 AM PST

SAN8402
Starfish
Starfish
56 Posts

[Post New]by SAN8402 on May 10, 13 6:24 AM
This game is way too frustrating. It takes too long to do anything. Good thing it's free because I would be really upset to have bought it! I don't like games where you have to purchase things in game. Who wants to pay $50 for a game. (That's how much the largest purchase pack costs, for those not in the know.) For those who enjoy this type of game, Good Luck! I'm trying to decide if I will ever play it again. So far, not good odds.

soblessed57
Manatee
Manatee
3,780 Posts

[Post New]by soblessed57 on May 10, 13 12:36 PM
The reinstall has helped as far as moving my items,but did not stop the cusor from flickering constantly.

I am not a fan of this game because everything is outrageously priced for example it costs $29,000 in silver to purchase a measly '7',that's right only '7' wooden planks! That is totally uncalled for! Plus you can't do hardly a thing before your energy is depleted.

Be sure to always click on the big white sparkling butterflies as those give you **** gems and collection items which you can exchange for energy and or silver/gold.

I would rather buy these games outright than have them 'free' but impossible to get a few hours play out of them.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on May 10, 13 1:03 PM
Soblessed: Those wood planks as well as the water and the other things do not cost that much for just 7 items. You see the + sign below each item? What it means is that, for example, when you gather 1 x water from the well, you will get either 7x water or 1+7 waters, making it 8 water fills for the price of 1 energy point. Not sure whether the 7 are added to the one or whether it will be 7 instead of 1. But you don't pay that much for just 7 wood planks, but you will get each time that amount instead of just the one when you cut wood.

Hope I have explained it well enough. I sometimes don't understand myself. LOL

EDITED TO ADD: Forget the above. I have just paid 7 gold pieces for 7x water, thinking I would from now on get 7 buckets of water instead of the 2 I get. But no, I only got once 7 extra buckets of water for my 7 gold pieces, but no more after that. So anyone who is thinking of buying wood or water or stones for that huge amount of money they are asking for, don't !! Just let hubby use the pickaxe to get some stone or use Jennifer to pick up stones, and let grandpa do the wood chopping.

--- --- ---

I am now on level 9, and hubby is hard at work rebuilding the school. Another 5 1/2 hours to go and he should be done. Hopefully I will then be able to start on the guesthouse.

This is a great game. You just need a little patience. Trial and error worked for me. I planted too many things in the beginning, and lost a lot of energy watering and hoeing the crop. If you don't want to lose too much energy, you don't have to water or hoe or even spray (some plants need to be sprayed) any of them. But if you do, the time until harvest will be reduced with each action. It's really noticable with the pumpkins, which take 8 hours to mature, but when you water them, an hour is taken off, and when you use the hoe on them, another 1 1/2 hours or so is taken off. So in the end, the time is shorten considerable.

Edited on 05/11/2013 at 9:25:37 AM PST

soblessed57
Manatee
Manatee
3,780 Posts

[Post New]by soblessed57 on May 10, 13 11:13 PM
Good Gravy,are you serious? Man, I knew that price boogled MY Mind,for sure,LOL!

I did learn that you get gems from clicking on the fish in the water too,and goodies for your collections.

I am level 10 have the brick factory built and guest house yard, and Jennifer's house finished.[But I cheat with my puter clock!] Now building the sawmill which cost me $9,000.!

Edited on 05/11/2013 at 10:59:25 AM PST

Daisy_May
Stingray
Stingray
5,050 Posts

[Post New]by Daisy_May on May 11, 13 4:49 AM
I am LOVING LOVING LOVING this game!!

Sorry - I know one liners aren't helpful in deciding what's good and bad about about a game (and my reviews used to be 2 or 3 posts long) but I only have a little free time left and want to get back to it (yet had to come and sing its praises!)

There is something else.... I am glad this PC version is offered because I tried an Android version too (not available from here) but the mobile version is less good to play unless spending real money (or bragging on FB/Twitter to earn coins )

For example.... in this PC version I earned enough (free) gold coins from achievements to be able to afford to 'buy' a 4 hour unlimited energy power up which gave my farm (and my interest in the game!) one heck of a boost yesterday WARNING... don't do that until you have enough money for planting, otherwise you'll kick yourself for not being able to make best use of it. In fact I suggest waiting until SPOILER ALERT at least one helper arrives (your husband will be first) so that there will be more of you to make use of it END SPOILER

By contrast, the android version gives only silver coins for achievements and was therefore going to be a lot slower to get going. Then, to top it off, it (the android version NOT this one!) reqd gold coins to build the windmill & i didnt have enough (if any) (ETA turns out that had cost 7 gold in this game too but I hadn't minded because PC version had given me much more gold than that already from achievements).

I had liked this so much that I hoped to play it on my android tablet too (not instead) but this version wins hands down for me (& the android version has been uninstalled, because I won't play a game where you apparently have to use real money, to be able to progress)

But DEVS, if you are reading this - you haven't cost yourself money from me by having the PC version be less financially demanding:

I'd never have spent money on that other version but am likely to spend a little in this one eventually because I feel that if I am enjoying it then it will be reasonable for me to spend at least one credit's worth of money on it (as if buying a game).

& if I end up playing for a long time then I'd spend again every so often because I do realise that you need to make a living & i'm happy to support that when it's a choice i.e. isn't the only way to play the game ).

Edited on 05/11/2013 at 1:22:43 PM PST

Daisy_May
Stingray
Stingray
5,050 Posts

[Post New]by Daisy_May on May 11, 13 6:59 AM
Update... I decided (as per above comments) that I would buy some gold.

I wanted to spend the equivalent of buying a DL game - thought that fair & buying it now will let me speed up some of these early buildings

There was no $9.99 choice, nearest being $4.99 or $9.99 I decided on $9.99 = 450 coins.

What a nice surprise (although it is how it should be, & it maybe even says it on the game page, but I hadn't looked & it hadn't occurred to me) to find that (because I happen to be a GC member at the moment after 2 months off) I got a GC discount.

So the $9.99 option does end up equating to buying one download game & I think that the game so far is worth at least that much.

Of course, if it turns into one of those where you get stuck without spending more and more then I'll drop it like a ton of bricks, but so far I find it fair enough.

Oh and it goes to a BF in game store and defaults to the payment method you already have set up on your BF account so there was no need to enter card details (although there was the option to set up another payment method if I had wanted to).

ETA WARNING - Even if you've unticked the remember box as you sign in .... you need to tick the little 'sign me out after placing this order' box under the 'place this order' button if you don't want to stay signed into the store.

I hadnt seen this option the first time & when I, out of curiosity, went back in to see if still signed in (by starting another order that I wasn't going to finish), I was still signed in. To sign out without placing the 2nd order I used the 'not you?' link next to my user name at top right of the order screen.

Btw there is a quest to buy some (unspecified amount of) gold (which earns you 5 more gold as a reward) but I didn't feel that I had to buy it just for that because I could have ignored it (or skipped it with 5 won gold if it proved necessary later on), and the lowest amount you can buy is $0.99 for 30 gold if someone wanted to get the absolute minimum just for that quest.

I have removed my comment about getting the canning factory quest right after completing the buying the gold one as I suspect it was a coincidence: Completing the gold quest happened to send me up to level 12 & the canning factory is flagged in my store as a new item for buying - so levelling up is probably what triggered that new quest

Edited on 05/11/2013 at 7:25:30 AM PST

lilTweet7
Herring
Herring
333 Posts

[Post New]by lilTweet7 on May 14, 13 4:53 PM
This game is a wonderful farming time management game, with really cute graphics. Seriously, in my opinion, it is one of the best. You can also work at your own pace, and there are many in game things to do.

There are a lot of ways to make money in this game without having to spend real money. In order to do so, some patience is required, but you can collect certain butterflies (which pop up frequently) for money, energy points, various collections of items, etc. You can use the items in exchange for more energy points. To find the collections list, just click on the settings tab, then on the collection tab. You can also earn energy points via the restaurant. Each meal takes time to prepare, and has its own amount of energy you can acquire. Also, don't forget to click on the lake fish for various points as well.

You earn money by taking customer orders (that you choose to take), and growing crops, as well as making items and selling them. The more tasks you do, the faster you level up in the game. You can also exchange for level up points faster via exchanging your collections for same. This really helps, if you are like me, and wish to level up quickly, so more game options become available.

So far, I'm on level 21 since playing last week.

Try to save your energy up, because energy is used up fast on tasks. Energy in my opinion, is more valuable then the gold/silver in this game. Also, try to
save money up to purchase the buildings. After constructing the buildings, you can sell items you make, and take more customer orders. Constructing the buildings takes time & money (including gold).

There are usually 3 steps in order to complete a building. If you want to hasten the process, save up gold to do so. Also, make a lot of bricks, stone, and wood panels if you already have these buildings constructed, that way, you won't have to purchase wood and bricks from the guy at the end of the road (at the bottom of your screen near the school). You can also sell the wood & stones you mine for more money.

WARNING: This game can become quite addicting!!!! There are also many levels to complete, so the game is not a rush one, and will provide many days and hours of enjoyment. There are no in game directions for this game, but once you begin to play it, it becomes pretty self explanatory.

HAPPY FARMING FOLKS!

HINT: Clicking on the eye icon, you can see debris behind buildings to clean up from the ground.

Edited on 05/19/2013 at 12:12:11 PM PST

Go to: